Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can't think of a Serie A club who could match his wages, or would even want to, and that's assuming Chelsea would even want let him go at an almost 50% discount just 12 months after dropping almost £100m on him, which is very unlikely. Unless we get super lucky in the market, we're stuck with him I'm afraid.
Usually I would agree but if there's one thing Rom can fully trusted on is that he will find a way out if he's not playing.

In terms of starting Xl hopefully Broja will get us off the hook the way Mendy did re Kepa.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Usually I would agree but if there's one thing Rom can fully trusted on is that he will find a way out if he's not playing.

In terms of starting Xl hopefully Broja will get us off the hook the way Mendy did re Kepa.
I can't see a scenario where Chelsea don't come out of it as the big losers. Lukaku could well force his way out, but the chance of Chelsea ever recouping [most of] his transfer fee is slim to none. The idea is almost not even worth entertaining to be honest.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

In the press today that both Broja and his family want to stay at Southampton. Young players want guaranteed game time.

Really hard to see now how Chelsea haven’t made a mistake with the likes of Tomori, Lamptey, Livramento and Broja. They could be two CBs down by the summer for nothing, have no cover at RWB and have the likes of Abraham gone and Broja out on loan that could well be offering something similar to Lukaku.

They should have embraced the youth where they had it and added to it, rather than replaced it. It would have given the team more character too.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In the press today that both Broja and his family want to stay at Southampton. Young players want guaranteed game time.

Really hard to see now how Chelsea haven’t made a mistake with the likes of Tomori, Lamptey, Livramento and Broja. They could be two CBs down by the summer for nothing, have no cover at RWB and have the likes of Abraham gone and Broja out on loan that could well be offering something similar to Lukaku.

They should have embraced the youth where they had it and added to it, rather than replaced it. It would have given the team more character too.
Not really sure we can be blamed for Lamptey and Livramento. When you're producing so many in one go some will slip through the net due to there simply being no room (like Barca losing Cesc and Thiago all be it getting the former back).

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
What a nightmare!
We made the team we had worse by burning over 100 million.
I said the problem wasn't over with the apology for the interview.
The problem is that he is a noxious element in the locker room that will cause problems and sportingly he is a disaster because he makes everyone who plays with him worse.

He has to leave the team.
Assume the mistake and loss of money.
Insisting will be worse.

Loan to some team that can get him playing to try and sell in the summer.
Include him in a player swap deal.
Or leave him in the stands, away from the team, any solution but to see him wearing our shirt on the pitch again.

You are a disgrace Lukaku.

Paul_Scholes18

I have defended Lukaku before, but he has been really poor recently.

He has not improved Chelsea as I thought. They needed a striker though, but got someone at Werner level rather than better.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would be funny if he goes back to Inter, starts talking about loving the club but since there's no Conte around he finds himself in the same situation and struggles. How long do you think before he talks about Everton and how he was one of the biggest Everton fans???

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

I think Broja stays at Saints tbh. Hassenhuttl has clearly had Broja's family in his ear saying he should stay there, and their CEO is talking to Marina. So some sort of deal will be done, i am convinced. Out of loyalty bias and as a fan i hope he stays, and although we are the bigger club, you simply cant keep them all just because they look decent. Some of them simply have to go. But im always skeptical with youth, i think often they are seriously overhyped and expectations need to be lowered; because playing U23 football is nowhere near senior football. Clearly the ones you named have progressed since leaving. But i remember the days where Lewis Baker was the next big thing but in reality he was shite. He couldnt get in the Boro, Reading and Leeds sides half the time. Lewis Hall was very neat and tidy v Chesterfield in the FA Cup and people on social media started wanting him in the first team, but its fecking Chesterfield. 5th tier of English football, probably the standard he is used to week in week out. Give him some experience on loan, first.

Think there will be a lot of unhappy fans of ours over next 18 months because i can foresee a lot of talent leaving. I think Gilmour will have another loan, which i agree with, i rate him but he is not strong enough yet.
Sadly and one i totally disagree with is Gallagher staying at Palace, too. They'll be in for him.

Broja, I think if Bayern or BVB came back in for CHO at anything over 40m, you'd have to take it. He just isnt kicking on. Then you have people like Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech, Christensen all potentially off this summer. Huge few windows coming up

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Broja stays at Saints tbh. Hassenhuttl has clearly had Broja's family in his ear saying he should stay there, and their CEO is talking to Marina. So some sort of deal will be done, i am convinced. Out of loyalty bias and as a fan i hope he stays, and although we are the bigger club, you simply cant keep them all just because they look decent. Some of them simply have to go. But im always skeptical with youth, i think often they are seriously overhyped and expectations need to be lowered; because playing U23 football is nowhere near senior football. Clearly the ones you named have progressed since leaving. But i remember the days where Lewis Baker was the next big thing but in reality he was shite. He couldnt get in the Boro, Reading and Leeds sides half the time. Lewis Hall was very neat and tidy v Chesterfield in the FA Cup and people on social media started wanting him in the first team, but its fecking Chesterfield. 5th tier of English football, probably the standard he is used to week in week out. Give him some experience on loan, first.

Think there will be a lot of unhappy fans of ours over next 18 months because i can foresee a lot of talent leaving. I think Gilmour will have another loan, which i agree with, i rate him but he is not strong enough yet.
Sadly and one i totally disagree with is Gallagher staying at Palace, too. They'll be in for him.

Broja, I think if Bayern or BVB came back in for CHO at anything over 40m, you'd have to take it. He just isnt kicking on. Then you have people like Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech, Christensen all potentially off this summer. Huge few windows coming up
You are absolutely right, it can definitely go both ways. I think there have been a few miscalculations on their part, which could be costly come the summer.

I remember a few of those overhyped ones too. Josh McEachran was going to be the man, according to quite a few, but I don’t even know where he plays nowadays.

I really think Chelsea have underestimated how ready a few of them were though. I mean, how useful would it be to have Livramento in the squad right now, for example?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I really think Chelsea have underestimated how ready a few of them were though. I mean, how useful would it be to have Livramento in the squad right now, for example?
Livramento turned down Chelsea's contract extension because he didn't want to be Reece James' backup for the next 10 years, which is fair enough.

Other than promise to drop James (which is mental), there's nothing we could've done to keep Tino or Lamptey.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
You are absolutely right, it can definitely go both ways. I think there have been a few miscalculations on their part, which could be costly come the summer.

I remember a few of those overhyped ones too. Josh McEachran was going to be the man, according to quite a few, but I don’t even know where he plays nowadays.

Tino wouldnt have got in tbh, and chose to leave. Lamptey too. McEachran had a decent spell under Ancelotti but again, was too slight, needed to toughen up.

Solanke was another, Tomori but that was our fault for selling him, i did rate him though.

El Jefe

His big game record in the PL should surely be a record for a player that's scored a decent amount of goals. This is a common theme at different clubs so its clear he is actually the problem.

He's just not very good at football. He's not bad in the open channels with space but in the centre of the pitch he is useless when balls are played into him. He needs an age to control the ball and this just makes it easy pickings for any top level defender.

Chelsea have made many bad signings but this might be the worst purely because this isn't a surprise to anyone who has watched Lukaku over his career.

Cloud7

Would be funny if he goes back to Inter, starts talking about loving the club but since there's no Conte around he finds himself in the same situation and struggles. How long do you think before he talks about Everton and how he was one of the biggest Everton fans???
I wonder if he would consider trying to push for a move to Spurs. Conte is the only manager under which you could say he's had proper success.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Would Chelsea fans preffered to keep Abaraham or happy with Lukaku?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Chelsea have embraced the youth. The first team is filled with academy players. Someone said yesterday was the first time in over 150 games that an academy player didn't start a game, and there's usually 2 or 3 starting in any given game.

Tomori was exiled by Lampard at a time when we were playing a back 2, so less opportunities to use him. He was behind Rudiger, Zouma and Christensen in the pecking order. Its unfortunate because he's improved a lot, but that was the context. I don't really regret letting him go. Lamptey and Livramento couldn't see a pathway through James into the first team. Chelsea wanted to keep them both, especially Livramento, but neither wanted to hang around. Of course it would be useful to have them now, but getting chances to play in the event of a injury crisis isn't exactly an appealing selling point.

My hope is we give Broja a fair chance, regardless of whether Lukaku is around next season. He signed a 5 year in 2021, so I'd imagine he at least wants to try his hand at convincing Tuchel he can play for Chelsea.

It's tough to make the right decision all the time. The academy at the moment is producing players at a quicker rate than the first team can realistically accommodate and naturally a lot of talented players will slip through the net for a myriad of reasons and its not always because the coach didn't see or appreciate the talent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I wonder if he would consider trying to push for a move to Spurs. Conte is the only manager under which you could say he's had proper success.
Conte has Kane now. I don't even think he considers Lukaku an option at all, unless if Kane leaves.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This was written on the walls, sadly. Lukaku is a world class player but like everyone he needs the team to play to his strengths. Chelsea's attack was very variable and Lukaku is sort of the antithesis to this. It could be expected that he would make their attack more static and rob them off their biggest strengths.

Chelsea really should've gone for Sancho in the summer, he'd be lethal in a Tuchel team.

redsunited

Oh I see, the caf is in kneejerk mood again :)
You can expect that reaction when you make claims like that about Lukaku. He rarely plays well against big teams. He is a consistent 20+ goals a season striker, where 90% of goals are against weak teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I haven't kept up with the thread but is the concensus among Chelsea fans that they want him gone?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Lukaku just comes out of a 30 goals and 13 assists in 45 games season, winning a major league title. He has been putting up double digits in top leagues for the past nine years. Of course he is world class.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Would Chelsea fans preffered to keep Abaraham or happy with Lukaku?
If we're being honest here, Tammy wasn't it either. My preference in the summer was either Haaland or run it back with Werner and Havertz.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we're being honest here, Tammy wasn't it either. My preference in the summer was either Haaland or run it back with Werner and Havertz.
Yeah I knew that Abraham was not exactly at the top top level -

But the thing with me is that Lukaku has an ego that makes him a bit big headed - making him think that he must start every match and that the fault of a zero goal match is due to his team mates rather than his poor first touch for example.

I didn't think Abraham was that big headed and I wonder if with him - maybe the rotation of Havertz, Werner and Abaraham would be more fluidly happening.

Abraxas

Maybe he's just not as good a player in the PL week in week out. He's good but not great. In Italy he's a colossus.

Seems like his ego struggles to accept that he needs to do more and he's not reaching expectation. Starts to blame everybody else. He was the same at United. It was the fans fault or the service or the dressing room or whatever else.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Lukaku just comes out of a 30 goals and 13 assists in 45 games season, winning a major league title. He has been putting up double digits in top leagues for the past nine years. Of course he is world class.
Lukaku cannot be considered world class, that's for sure as he:
- consistently fails to score against any good PL side
- consistently failed to score in important CL matches
- consistently failed to score against the only top Serie A side: Juventus (0 non-penalties goals in 7 matches).

Also his Serie A numbers are overrated by most of the people as he scored SEVENTEEN penalties in the last 2 seasons (literally 36% of his Serie A goals have been penalties):

In the last 2 seasons he scored "only" 14 and 16 non-penalty Serie A goals. Those are not world class numbers and it's the italian league, not PL or La Liga.
He had a lot of assists last season it's true but because he was playing alongside Lautaro in a system that perfectly suited him. Pretty much impossible to have so many assists playing in the current system which is the worst possible for him as Chelsea crosses a lot and he's terrible at winning aerial duels.

I don't know why Chelsea signed him if then they keep playing Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO as happened yesterday.. Chelsea must play 3-5-2 with Lukaku -Werner upfront, if I remember correctly even Werner scored for fun in Bundesliga playing as SS.

Tuchel you're overrated, 3-5-2 Lukaku-Werner upfront is the solution.

Pintu

Lukaku cannot be considered world class, that's for sure as he:
- consistently fails to score against any good PL side
- consistently failed to score in important CL matches

- consistently failed to score against the only top Serie A side: Juventus (0 non-penalties goals in 7 matches).
Also his Serie A numbers are overrated by most of the people as he scored SEVENTEEN penalties in the last 2 seasons (literally 36% of his Serie A goals have been penalties):
That is not precise. He scored the most important goal of Chelse's campaign in the CL so far this season when they beat Zenit. He scored for United against Paris in the CL KO stage 2019.

The stats aren't fair to him most of his games vs the top 6 took place when he was very young at West Brom or Everton when his clubs couldn't compete with the big 6. But he still scored for Everton against the big six. The only team he'd never scored against was Chelsea, which he remedied when playing for United. Scoring the first of a 2-1 comeback.

Pickle85

That is not precise. He scored the most important goal of Chelse's campaign in the CL so far this season when they beat Zenit. He scored for United against Paris in the CL KO stage 2019.

The stats aren't fair to him most of his games vs the top 6 took place when he was very young at West Brom or Everton when his clubs couldn't compete with the big 6. But he still scored for Everton against the big six. The only team he'd never scored against was Chelsea, which he remedied when playing for United. Scoring the first of a 2-1 comeback.

To be fair, 15 in 58 isn't a great strike rate (unless my arithmetic is off!)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

2 of those goals vs Liverpool were when he was at West Brom, all 3 goals against United was in a testimonial in all but name.

Given what he lacks the only way he can truly make up for it is with a big goal tally. There's no way he can be a net positive otherwise and even then it's debatable.

Ofcourse there's the occasional outlier like the Paris match but his big game record overall can't be described as anything other than abysmal.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
His big game record in the PL should surely be a record for a player that's scored a decent amount of goals. This is a common theme at different clubs so its clear he is actually the problem.

He's just not very good at football. He's not bad in the open channels with space but in the centre of the pitch he is useless when balls are played into him. He needs an age to control the ball and this just makes it easy pickings for any top level defender.

Chelsea have made many bad signings but this might be the worst purely because this isn't a surprise to anyone who has watched Lukaku over his career.
Absolutely correct. Anyone that thinks that Lukaku is anything but a very limited player either hasn't watched him enough and goes on his goal record (also ignoring who he scoring against and how (pens)) or simply doesn't understand football.

El Jefe

Its the goals he scored at West Brom that is keeping these stats from looking even more laughable than they are. His record was actually fairly decent using his WBA and Everton loan seasons, since then he's been cack.

It's as precise as can be, Lukaku is a terrible big game scorer and performer. All good strikers will get their reasonable share of goals vs top team. Its normal to have a bogey team but Lukaku has several of them and they are all top sides.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely correct. Anyone that thinks that Lukaku is anything but a very limited player either hasn't watched him enough and goes on his goal record (also ignoring who he scoring against and how (pens)) or simply doesn't understand football.
Which is why i find it so bewildering that Hazard is judged on goal tally. Lukaku is another case study but for the opposite reason.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

He scored against Chelsea for both Everton and Man United. Put a lie in a nice graphic and people will think it's true.