Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Djemba-Djemba

He scored against Chelsea for both Everton and Man United. Put a lie in a nice graphic and people will think it's true.
That's an old graphic I'm pretty sure cos he's wearing the Utd kit.

And I think the Everton goals vs Chelsea were in the FA Cup.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I assume they're doing PL record because both of those were in the FA cup.

It's undeniable his record in the big games is atrocious.
And those 2 goals were in 15/16 when we were 10th, so kind of fitting over half of his goals against us came then :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

Fair enough. We all know goals outside the league don't mean shit.
Aye you're right, Lukaku is a great big game player.

@Dancfc Ah yeah, it was crisis Chelsea he scored against of course. Like how the only game he's scored against Utd so far was the 5-5 last game of the season piss about.

Pintu

He scored against Chelsea for both Everton and Man United. Put a lie in a nice graphic and people will think it's true.
The graph precedes his United spell. And I said he scored for United vs Chelsea in the league. The graph only includes the PL games.

I literally wrote this in the post you are quoting.
"The only team he'd never scored against was Chelsea, which he remedied when playing for United. Scoring the first of a 2-1 comeback."

The FA Cup goal vs Chelsea.

Djemba-Djemba

Never said that, don't be like that. He's got enough flaws though that people don't need to lie or be sneaky with stats to make him seem worse though!
You just assumed they were lying or being sneaky though!

It might just be a graphic from an ESPN article about his PL record against the big 6. In fact I think it is because its the 17/18 kit he's wearing and the 0-0 at Anfield that season was the 12th PL game he'd played against them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku cannot be considered world class, that's for sure as he:
- consistently fails to score against any good PL side
- consistently failed to score in important CL matches
- consistently failed to score against the only top Serie A side: Juventus (0 non-penalties goals in 7 matches).

Also his Serie A numbers are overrated by most of the people as he scored SEVENTEEN penalties in the last 2 seasons (literally 36% of his Serie A goals have been penalties):

In the last 2 seasons he scored "only" 14 and 16 non-penalty Serie A goals. Those are not world class numbers and it's the italian league, not PL or La Liga.
He had a lot of assists last season it's true but because he was playing alongside Lautaro in a system that perfectly suited him. Pretty much impossible to have so many assists playing in the current system which is the worst possible for him as Chelsea crosses a lot and he's terrible at winning aerial duels.

I don't know why Chelsea signed him if then they keep playing Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO as happened yesterday.. Chelsea must play 3-5-2 with Lukaku -Werner upfront, if I remember correctly even Werner scored for fun in Bundesliga playing as SS.

Tuchel you're overrated, 3-5-2 Lukaku-Werner upfront is the solution.
Good post, this is something I said few months ago, that his goal scoring record improved as he is talking penalties. His mins per non penalty goals is almost same as it was at ManUtd.

Djemba-Djemba

I think Lukaku is a good player and it's a good skill to be ruthless against the smaller sides.

He's just nowhere near as good as he seems to think he is.

Or good enough to justify the amount of money he's gone for in transfers.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
9 league starts 5 goals. The scapegoating of this guy is ridiculous.

Mike Smalling

Absolutely correct. Anyone that thinks that Lukaku is anything but a very limited player either hasn't watched him enough and goes on his goal record (also ignoring who he scoring against and how (pens)) or simply doesn't understand football.
I generally agree, but to be fair Lukaku seems to have only 24 penalty goals in club football. For a striker with +10 seasons that isn't a lot - it's less than 10% of his goals.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
This was written on the walls, sadly. Lukaku is a world class player but like everyone he needs the team to play to his strengths. Chelsea's attack was very variable and Lukaku is sort of the antithesis to this. It could be expected that he would make their attack more static and rob them off their biggest strengths.

Chelsea really should've gone for Sancho in the summer, he'd be lethal in a Tuchel team.
Then he's not world class is he? World class players have abilities average players don't. Scoring goals doesn't mean someone's world class.
He's technically average, poor balance, can't dribble, his finishing is iffy, bad decision making, can't play under pressure...
He never in a million years was world class

9 league starts 5 goals. The scapegoating of this guy is ridiculous.

yup totally scapegoating

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Then he's not world class is he? World class players have abilities average players don't. Scoring goals doesn't mean someone's world class.
He's technically average, poor balance, can't dribble, his finishing is iffy, bad decision making, can't play under pressure...
He never in a million years was world class

yup totally scapegoating
You don't need to excel in every area to be world class. And Lukaku is technically better than he's given credit for. Just a bad fit for this Chelsea team.

Which player is world class for you?

GifLord

You don't need to excel in every area to be world class. And Lukaku is technically better than he's given credit for. Just a bad fit for this Chelsea team.

Which player is world class for you?
Yeah but when you need to play to a player's strenghts then that player shouldn't be labelled world class considering he has deficiencies SINCE YOU HAVE TO PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS TO GET THE BEST OUT OF HIM.
Strikers? Lewa and Benzema are currently at the top. Then there's Haaland and Ronaldo. Not sold on Immobile despite him scoring tons of goals in Serie A.
Lukaku has way to many weakneses to be considered a top top player. Just seen he lost every aerial duel he had vs City. Shambles

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This was written on the walls, sadly. Lukaku is a world class player but like everyone he needs the team to play to his strengths. Chelsea's attack was very variable and Lukaku is sort of the antithesis to this. It could be expected that he would make their attack more static and rob them off their biggest strengths.

Chelsea really should've gone for Sancho in the summer, he'd be lethal in a Tuchel team.
He quite clearly isn’t a world class player. Why is this still being peddled :lol:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I generally agree, but to be fair Lukaku seems to have only 24 penalty goals in club football. For a striker with +10 seasons that isn't a lot - it's less than 10% of his goals.
Sorry, I wasn't that clear, I was referring to the pens he scored for Inter as his overall goal record at Inter seemed to convince people he had improved but there he padded it more than usual with Pens.

KennyBurner

Where is that haram guy that used to be on here. Haven’t seen him in close to a year. He was so adamant we made a mistake selling lukaku.

TrustInJanuzaj

While that's true it is kind of ironic you pointing it out after last season claiming Maguire > Silva based on age :lol:
I still think Maguire last season was performing better and was more reliable. This season I don’t think anyone could have expected this level of drop off. Silva is a remarkable player though and has managed his performance level longer than anticipated.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He’s still levels above any version of Lukaku.
Current Ronaldo isn't better than Emmanuel Dennis from Watford, he is about the same level of Lukaku now.

If Harry Kane had 6 open goals in 16 PL matches played, you would be roasting him as he hasn't the reputation of Cristiano.

Rating current Cristiano as 'top class' is based purely on his legacy, not on his current form at 37 who can't pass, can't dribble, too slow for PL, and it's mostly a mere poacher now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I knew that Abraham was not exactly at the top top level -

But the thing with me is that Lukaku has an ego that makes him a bit big headed - making him think that he must start every match and that the fault of a zero goal match is due to his team mates rather than his poor first touch for example.

I didn't think Abraham was that big headed and I wonder if with him - maybe the rotation of Havertz, Werner and Abaraham would be more fluidly happening.
I was a bit ambivalent about Abraham to be honest. I liked him as a player, but I knew he wasn't good enough to be the starting striker at Chelsea. That doesn't mean he was useless. The only black mark against Tuchel last season was his treatment of Abraham. I was happy to keep him around as the Havertz backup, but once the search for a striker was on, it was clear to him his days were numbered.

I didn't have any specific concerns about Lukaku's ego or attitude. It was solely around how he'd fit into the team.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

Current Ronaldo isn't better than Emmanuel Dennis from Watford, he is about the same level of Lukaku now.

If Harry Kane had 6 open goals in 16 PL matches played, you would be roasting him as he hasn't the reputation of Cristiano.

Your rating of current Cristiano as 'top class' is based purely on his legacy, not on his current form at 37 who can't pass, can't dribble, too slow, and it's mostly a mere poacher now.
He’s playing in the worst Utd side in memory which can barely get a pass right let alone generate a chance. Ronaldo isn’t without blame but if you have seen his performances over the past few years for club and country it’s clear he’s still a top class player. He alone pulled us through the champions league, if you think Dennis or Lukaku could manage that in this Utd side then you’re watching a different sport to me.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

Jeezus christ, World class player, maybe in his head and you believe that shit talk as well. Playing for the best team in Italy in a shite league in a purple patch year won't change the fact that he's hugely overrated player. He also scored a lot of goals from pens, and missed unbelievable number of sitters and was elminated from the game in big games while failing to score game after game because simply he's a one dimensial slighlty above average striker.

The same way Mourinho still gets gigs Lukaku is getting to pay as a main striker producing average numbers every year. Top strikers goal ratio is really far away from what we can see from Lukaku, and ability to score against other than bottom 10 teams..
He's simply a fraud and full of PR shite..

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He’s playing in the worst Utd side in memory which can barely get a pass right let alone generate a chance. Ronaldo isn’t without blame but if you have seen his performances over the past few years for club and country it’s clear he’s still a top class player. He alone pulled us through the champions league, if you think Dennis or Lukaku could manage that in this Utd side then you’re watching a different sport to me.
Dennis can't play UCL, Watford is battling for relegation, unlike the worst United side in history who was 2nd place last season.
But current Ronaldo doesn't offer more on the pitch than Dennis and Michael Antonio in the PL.

I don't rate Lukaku, but current Cristiano isn't much better than Lukaku.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Jeezus christ, World class player, maybe in his head and you believe that shit talk as well. Playing for the best team in Italy in a shite league in a purple patch year won't change the fact that he's hugely overrated player. He also scored a lot of goals from pens, and missed unbelievable number of sitters and was elminated from the game in big games while failing to score game after game because simply he's a one dimensial slighlty above average striker.

The same way Mourinho still gets gigs Lukaku is getting to pay as a main striker producing average numbers every year. Top strikers goal ratio is really far away from what we can see from Lukaku, and ability to score against other than bottom 10 teams..
He's simply a fraud and full of PR shite..
He's actually like a player version of Mourinho in the sense that he can only justify his methods with results. The big difference is he doesn't do it close to as much as Mou did.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah but when you need to play to a player's strenghts then that player shouldn't be labelled world class considering he has deficiencies SINCE YOU HAVE TO PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS TO GET THE BEST OUT OF HIM.
Strikers? Lewa and Benzema are currently at the top. Then there's Haaland and Ronaldo. Not sold on Immobile despite him scoring tons of goals in Serie A.
Lukaku has way to many weakneses to be considered a top top player. Just seen he lost every aerial duel he had vs City. Shambles
I think you'd be surprised how many players looked worse if they were to change teams. Coming into a new environment and a new style of play always bears risks. We've seen enough world class players becoming flops at their new club.

GifLord

I think you'd be surprised how many players looked worse if they were to change teams. Coming into a new environment and a new style of play always bears risks. We've seen enough world class players becoming flops at their new club.
He's played in PL for 9 years before coming back from Italy. This is his 2nd stint at a top club in England and he's playing the same way as he did here. He has so many flaws it's crazy how he even ended at top level football.
His team mates have to adapt to him for him to make it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wonder if they rehearsed this before the game? :smirk:

NoPace

He quite clearly isn’t a world class player. Why is this still being peddled :lol:
World class in a front 2. Showed it at Inter. Not the first striker who would have been world class in the 90s but not today.

Yesterday's game reminded me of why I (incorrectly) wanted Morata over Lukaku that summer. The hold up play in big games is a mile apart.

TrustInJanuzaj

World class in a front 2. Showed it at Inter. Not the first striker who would have been world class in the 90s but not today.

Yesterday's game reminded me of why I (incorrectly) wanted Morata over Lukaku that summer. The hold up play in big games is a mile apart.
Nope he was still miles off world class even at Inter.

NoPace

Nope he was still miles off world class even at Inter.
64 in 95 is pretty damn good, and they won the title. 13 in 16 in Europe and scored in a final. Fantastic record for Belgium. He's flawed as hell, but if he's got a partner up top he's probably the worst world class player around.

On another note, he's the same age as Harry Kane, who want to win title. They should swap them and reunite him with Conte.

acnumber9

How can you call the current version of Ronaldo “Top Class” while slandering Lukaku at the same time?
Well one has 14 goals in 22 games and the other has 8 in 22 games. One plays for a much better team. It’s not the one with the most goals. He also hasn’t had the benefit of 45 minutes against Chesterfield.