Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

allen7

I wonder how many goals Broja or Weghorst would’ve got this season up front for Chelsea… and in turn, where Chelsea would be in the league.
Don’t think many world class forwards can really score a lot from tuchel system.
They mainly use wingbacks and defenders to orchestrate play and score, most of them are good at setpieces and penalties. For example, I don’t remember many 1v1 chances lukaku had missed or final third passes. I maybe wrong statistically though.

Yes, lukaku is in poor form so is the team’s chance creation.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sky have done a compilation. Apart from kick-off he had one touch in the first half:

(edit): someone in the comments has pointed out that two of his touches happened when he was subsequently called offside, so don’t really count. So it’s only five legitimate touches, one of which was the kick off.

Last edited:

Pintu

Don’t think many world class forwards can really score a lot from tuchel system.
They mainly use wingbacks and defenders to orchestrate play and score, most of them are good at setpieces and penalties. For example, I don’t remember many 1v1 chances lukaku had missed or final third passes. I maybe wrong statistically though.

Yes, lukaku is in poor form so is the team’s chance creation.
He’s missed 3 big chances in the PL. Pulisic and Havertz has missed most for Chelsea. 5 each. The top of that table in the PL has Salah, Mané, Kane and Ronaldo. They’ve all missed between 12 and 14 big chances.

I don’t know about WC players. But for players who need space it’s a tough job. Chelsea’s high line is too high when in possession, forcing the opponents to retreat and give less space behind the CBS. So the only obvious vertical passes go diagonally to the wingbacks.

With Lampard Chelsea was playing a high line, but players were encouraged to take more risky passes to the forwards. It result in more chances created for the CF (which Abraham thrives in) but it also resulted in countless turnovers that constantly gave the opponents counterattacking possibilities.

I don’t think any of their regular CBs or CMs really have that killer pass in them. Maybe Thiago Silva and Kovacic, but they don’t use it that much

Trex

He’s missed 3 big chances in the PL. Pulisic and Havertz has missed most for Chelsea. 5 each. The top of that table in the PL has Salah, Mané, Kane and Ronaldo. They’ve all missed between 12 and 14 big chances.

I don’t know about WC players. But for players who need space it’s a tough job. Chelsea’s high line is too high when in possession, forcing the opponents to retreat and give less space behind the CBS. So the only obvious vertical passes go diagonally to the wingbacks.

With Lampard Chelsea was playing a high line, but players were encouraged to take more risky passes to the forwards. It result in more chances created for the CF (which Abraham thrives in) but it also resulted in countless turnovers that constantly gave the opponents counterattacking possibilities.

I don’t think any of their regular CBs or CMs really have that killer pass in them. Maybe Thiago Silva and Kovacic, but they don’t use it that much
Or maybe Lukaku doesn't move enough.

Pintu

Or maybe Lukaku doesn't move enough.
I don’t think he moves enough. And he is not good in tight spaces generally.

But expecting him or any other forward to get 10 chances per games in this Chelsea is not reasonable. Chelsea plays a very different football to what he had at Everton, Inter or even at United. That’s one of the reasons Chelsea’s goalscoring chances are more spread among players than other clubs.

Trex

I don’t think he moves enough. And he is not good in tight spaces generally.

But expecting him or any other forward to get 10 chances per games in this Chelsea is not reasonable. Chelsea plays a very different football to what he had at Everton, Inter or even at United. That’s one of the reasons Chelsea’s goalscoring chances are more spread among players than other clubs.
Problem isn't even the goals, its the general lack of will to be involved, you can't be having 5 touches in a game your team dominated possession wise, that's just poor poor attitude.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
10 goals in 25 apps, 3 of those in Club World Cup and FA cup. Not been a spectacular return for him so far.
And even in the CWC final he was subbed off as he wasn't trusted to finish the job.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’ve defended him before because I do believe he’s a good striker but has fundamental flaws. But playing 90 mins and having only 5 legitimate touches is horrific.

I recall Darren Bent used to have only 10-15 touches per game and I thought that was bad!

10 goals in 25 apps, 3 of those in Club World Cup and FA cup. Not been a spectacular return for him so far.
And the highest placed team of those was Brighton in 9th.

Nothing has changed with him in years. He needs space to run and use his physical advantages, otherwise he's likely not even a 1st tier footballer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve defended him before because I do believe he’s a good striker but has fundamental flaws. But playing 90 mins and having only 5 legitimate touches is horrific.

I recall Darren Bent used to have only 10-15 touches per game and I thought that was bad!
Gabby Agbonlahor once had 8 in one half playing for bottom of the table Villa and had the piss taken out of him by pundits.

Yet Lukaku is getting excuse after excuse for having less in 90 minutes, it's absolutely mental and what's worse it's not even the lowest punditry has sunk to last weekend alone (Sherwood blaming Varane for Maguire being shit).

TheReligion

Abusive
I did say in the summer Danny Ings would be a better signing at £20m than Rom at just under £100m.

PL stats are near identical and dare I say it Ings would score more with the chances given him at Chelsea…

That’s not even mentioning Werner

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I did say in the summer Danny Ings would be a better signing at £20m than Rom at just under £100m.

PL stats are near identical and dare I say it Ings would score more with the chances given him at Chelsea…

That’s not even mentioning Werner
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Finishing aside we were really onto something with Kai at false 9 and if we wanted another option to mix it up a bit when the tactical situation required it we could have kept Oli.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
7 years ago the mocked Agbonlahor for having 8 touches of the ball

Now they're defending Kaku and having a go at his team mates for not providing for him. :wenger:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
7 years ago the mocked Agbonlahor for having 8 touches of the ball

Now they're defending Kaku and having a go at his team mates for not providing for him. :wenger:
Neville and Carragher are defending Lukaku?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I haven't seen it. They defended him on MOTD and I've seem some journos on twitter blame the system and his teammates. Not seen anything from Carragher and GNev though.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Shearer on Saturday's MOTD ep went in full defense mode saying how it's not his faul and that he needs more service. Would say a lot of Nevile and Carragher if they completely ignored how bad he has been considering how they were hyping him up in August.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Question for the Chelsea fans. Do you want him to start the final against us next week? Seems like he might have a hard time against Van Dijk and Matip or Konate and someone like Werner would have an easier time getting in behind our high line.

TheReligion

Abusive
Question for the Chelsea fans. Do you want him to start the final against us next week? Seems like he might have a hard time against Van Dijk and Matip or Konate and someone like Werner would have an easier time getting in behind our high line.
I might be wrong but didn’t he do okay against you this season? And Werner was nuisance last season for different reasons

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Easy answer. Not really.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I might be wrong but didn’t he do okay against you this season? And Werner was nuisance last season for different reasons
I mean in the game at Anfield he did ok but he wasted a couple of really good openings in the first half when Chelsea were getting joy after going 1-0 up. I just think this'll be a different game and he's only getting 7 touches against Palace. Doesn't seem like he'll be able to get in behind us where the damage can be done. If his back is to goal the whole time he'll barely be involved.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
We are good against you or any team tried to attack us. Lukaku will enjoy your high line and generally in recent games against you lot we played reasonably well.

Problem with Lukaku is he rarely control the ball with his touches. I personally play havertz as main striker and Lukaku as wide forward. He will enjoy the space left by your FBs and generally he is good at running on to the ball rather controlling it while surrounding defenders.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely not.

My confidence for this game is dependant on selection more than ever before.

If we start a fluid front three and Mendy I genuinely think we will win or atleast make a hell of a game of it (ala super cup) but if Lukaku and Kepa (*) start I hold no hope unless Ziyech/Kai comes up clutch and/or Silva has the game of his career.

* as much as Kepa's improved he's still vulnerable to long shots and you took many in the two league games against Mendy thay would have flew in on Kepa's watch.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Absolutely not.

If we start a fluid front three and Mendy I genuinely think we will win or atleast make a hell of a game of it (ala super cup) but if Lukaku and Kepa (*) start I hold no hope unless Ziyech/Kai comes up clutch and/or Silva has the game of his career.

* as much as Kepa's improved he's still vulnerable to long shots and you took many in the two league games against Mendy thay would have flew in on Kepa's watch.
My feeling on this is that we need to start Thiago and Fabinho. We had Henderson and Milner in the game that took place in December and we struggled massively. We're in better shape now so I'm optimistic.

We're playing Kelleher in goal for certain. Klopp confirmed that after the semi's.

I don't think seeing Lukaku on the team sheet would worry me as much as if I saw a front three of Mount, Werner and Havertz for example. I think Van Dijk and whoever else plays alongside him would fancy it against Lukaku if he's playing as the number 9.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely not.

Kepa will likely start and I have no problems with it to be honest. He's been good whenever called upon.

My default preferred front 3 is always Mount, Havertz and one other depending on form and the opponent. At the moment, Ziyech is our most in form attacker, so I'd continue starting him.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Kepa will likely start and I have no problems with it to be honest. He's been good whenever called upon.

My default preferred front 3 is always Mount, Havertz and one other depending on form and the opponent. At the moment, Ziyech is our most in form attacker, so I'd continue starting him.
Forgot about Ziyech. Who is most likely to cause Alexander-Arnold problems on his side? That's where everyone seems to target now. Mount seems likely if he's fit?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Forgot about Ziyech. Who is most likely to cause Alexander-Arnold problems on his side? That's where everyone seems to target now. Mount seems likely if he's fit?
Alonso, maybe. He likes to roam and never stops making inside runs into the box. Mount's fitness is touch and go. In any case I think Lukaku starts, so Trent will likely have to contend with Havertz or Werner plus Alonso.

LM7

Supports
chelsea
PSG might be interested in the summer when Mbappe goes to real madrid.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
someone in the comments has pointed out that two of his touches happened when he was subsequently called offside, so don’t really count. So it’s only five legitimate touches, one of which was the kick off.
Probably had ball boys/girls with more touches of the ball than big Rom.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Werner perhaps? He missed the Palace game due to illness but presumably might be available? Seems the ideal player to attack a high line that is somewhat prone to leave gaps on their right halfspace...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thomas Tuchel says ‘ now isn’t the time to laugh at Lukaku’ which I’m pretty sure is code for let’s all laugh at Lukaku. :lol:
Seriously though, 7 touches is benchwarmer stuff. Shocking.
He absolutely looked like he had no idea how to defend this performance. Said this stuff about not joking and defending Lukaku while he looked like he wanted to just bang his head on the table. Or preferably Lukaku's.

arnie_ni

There were also plenty of occasions when Lukaku did not help himself. Considering his size and strength, he is startlingly bad at competing for high balls with opposition centre-backs; sometimes he lacks the necessary aggression to get his way, others he simply misjudges the flight of the ball and finds himself too badly positioned to even attempt to win it. Andersen physically dominated him in situations such as this one, where Ziyech attempts to send him running into the right channel.

From The Athletic
I was blue in the face saying this when he played for us. He cannot judge the flight of a long ball from the defenders or keepers, so many times he got caught under it and it went well past him.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Sky have done a compilation. Apart from kick-off he had one touch in the first half:

(edit): someone in the comments has pointed out that two of his touches happened when he was subsequently called offside, so don’t really count. So it’s only five legitimate touches, one of which was the kick off.
This is my favourite ever highlight video.