Romelu Lukaku claims he was scapegoated with two other players at Manchester United

romufc

How about this season after they fail to make it past the group stages of the CL?
They aren't in Europe this season are they?

I think they "opted" out of EL to meet FFP next year.

Suedesi

Fair enough. I felt the writing was on the wall from day 1. This is how Jose described Lukaku:
"For the characteristics of the Premier League, we need a target man, which is not Martial, which is not Rashford. We have options, good options, good players, but the target man, the clear nine, the one that is comfortable to play in the box and the defensive line, we thought Romelu would be a good option for us."

Lukaku isn't a target man. Therefore, it was inevitable for Lukaku to find it exceedingly difficult. When you hear target man, what words come to mind sir? Hold up play perhaps? Maybe for you, its battling with centre backs? Dominant aerially? In any case, it was evident at Everton that Lukaku:

- Thrived in the transition phase
- Had a propensity to run the channels particularly from the right hand side so when he receives it he can use the momentum to try and have a shot on goal
- He predominantly used his athletecism to get on the end of early crosses, as opposed to meeting crosses from a stationary position
- Benefited from width
- Required support in the attack. Barkley was a designated player to supply him as much as possible, and in his penultimate season Kone was very much in close proximity to him acting as a foil for Lukaku to increase his goal scoring exploits

In terms of width,Lukaku is used to having an offensively orientated full back. At Everton, he had that luxury in Baines and Coleman. At international level, Belgium played with Vertonghen at left back. Therefore, he gravitated to Meunier in terms of on the pitch chemistry. Higher up the pitch, he found it advantageous to have the likes of Bolasie, Lennon, Deulofeu, and even Barkley providing genuine width. At international level, he has Meunier and they have a cohesive partnership, and also De Bruyne inherently capable of making world class crosses. In contrast at Manchester United where he played in a set up which was very much lopsided, and thus a paucity of both width and offensive full backs.

Lukaku was right to seek out as he's not a systematic fit for Ole. Whether Inter is the right team for him, I'm not quite sure.

Concerning his standing with United fans, he joined when Rashford had experienced his best run of games under Jose. Therefore many United fans were already waiting for him to fail and any mistake would be a case of confirmation bias. You had another section of fans that wanted Morata. Then a section of fans that wanted Martial and Rashford to start at the same time. Those that felt he encapsulated everything that was wrong with Mourinho. Those that simply don't like a striker of his ilk. I don't think there was ever a period when he was exceedingly liked by the United faithful for any sustained period. I feel Jose protected him often baring the one anomaly when he criticised Lukaku for missing a final via injury. Jose repeatedly called the fans to get off his back, and when he wasn't in the starting berth, then Jose would criticise Martial and Rashford as exemplified by:

“Maybe now you will not ask me why A, B and C do not play so much. People always ask: ‘Why always Lukaku?’ Well, now they know why always Lukaku, and why always this player and why always that player."
Absolutely spot on. If you hear the Lukaku interview I posted on pg 9, he actually name checks Bolasie, Barkley and Meunier and some of the players he's had the best understanding with on the pitch. I was surprised he never mentioned any United players, but I guess it makes sense.

Decomposing In Paris

No wonder he fitted in so well with Mourinho - Lukaku's another one who thinks his achievements mean that he shouldn't ever be criticised.
In all fairness to Mourinho, he did at least have achievements. Scoring goals against Cyprus & Malta for a team with Hazard & KDB feeding him isn't the same as winning the CL with Porto & Inter.

KennyBurner

I find it quite interesting that nobody at United has written a goodbye message to lukaku. Not even his supposed best friend Pogba has wished him goodluck in his future endeavors? It tells you how much he meant to the squad which isn’t much. Now he is gone and is acting like a scapegoat and nobody cares.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He definitely got lot of unfair stick in his first season, and he's right that certain players did get targeted when the entire team would be awful.

His performances last season were pretty bad though. I'm not sure what he's on about with these "leaks" either. The rumours if him leaving were started by him saying he wanted to leave? Plus direct quotes from his national team manager. It's not the club's job to "back him up" if he shit stirs.

Hawks2008

Shut the feck up Rom, you hung shit on your own team mates for having issues with Mourinho talking about being a "grown ass man" and now you cry to Twitter about people calling you chunky and how you were unfairly blamed..

A shit talker of the highest order, thinks way too highly of himself and is evidently a huge pussy. You were one of our most expensive signings, a big earner, and at times an untouchable starter (not that you deserved it) at one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Of course you're going to come under scrutiny. fecking sook.

Just a scrote of a bloke, can't believe how many on here championed him as a beacon of character and mentality. He couldn't have been further from that. Loser.

LoneStar

Glad this fat cnut fecked off from the club. Its now clear that he was a negative influence in the dressing room.

I don't remember anything of note or highlight in his two years at the club. Always struggled against the top teams, had shit hold up play and probably the worst first touch of any United player.

He got his move, and could have just shut up and got on with it. But no, he shows his 'character' again. Always talks very big and does nothing on the pitch.

lsd

The Oracle
Glad this fat cnut fecked off from the club. Its now clear that he was a negative influence in the dressing room.

I don't remember anything of note or highlight in his two years at the club. Always struggled against the top teams, had shit hold up play and probably the worst first touch of any United player.

He got his move, and could have just shut up and got on with it. But no, he shows his 'character' again. Always talks very big and does nothing on the pitch.

This was an interview before he left the club

Art Vandelay

Rashford is a better crosser in my opinion
He can be when he's not being greedy, but Lukaku throughout his good and shite spells put in some excellent crosses when he drifted wide. You'd want him on the end of them, but it's the one good thing he consistently delivered.

Kostov

If Lukaku had a performance like Rashford at the weekend there would have been riots outside Old Trafford. Also what Lingard is showing at the moment is even worse than whatever Alexis has played in our shirt. And you hardly hear a sniff about local lad Jesse.

starman

If Lukaku had a performance like Rashford at the weekend there would have been riots outside Old Trafford. Also what Lingard is showing at the moment is even worse than whatever Alexis has played in our shirt. And you hardly hear a sniff about local lad Jesse.

The hell you talking about, Lingard is one of the most despised players at United and that's from even "being a English/local lad" argument that keeps getting used

Lukaku was a record signing, supposed to be coming into his prime. Rashford cost nothing and is still only 21, dont forget that.

Sanchez is one of the highest paid players in the world and had a reputation as being one of the best, huge expectations come with that

Revaulx

Oh come on - that really is bollocks.

Nikelesh Reddy

How can any right thinking person claim that Sanchez is being “scapegoated” at United?!For Christ’s sake,he’s been arguably our worst ever signing in the PL era...

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Lukaku may have underwhelmed here, but getting rid of him without a replacement was absolute lunacy. I think it's starting to set in that Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood (if he even plays) won't have an easy time picking up the goalscoring mantle.

Kostov

The hell you talking about, Lingard is one of the most despised players at United and that's from even "being a English/local lad" argument that keeps getting used

Lukaku was a record signing, supposed to be coming into his prime. Rashford cost nothing and is still only 21, dont forget that.

Sanchez is one of the highest paid players in the world and had a reputation as being one of the best, huge expectations come with that
Oh come on - that really is bollocks.
I meant that from the media and the likes of Gary Neville, which somehow I left out. Lingard is rightfully getting criticism from many fans, but he's been shit for ages, and it's strangely after a fecking year that some are paying attention how shit he is, yet very little from famous pundits and journalists. Yeah Rashford is much younger I agree, but he's getting paid a fortune and paid like a seasoned pro, he should take the scrutiny that comes with that imo. He's been just as shit as Lukaku and never been dropped getting back to the second part of last season.

Jimmy_Bond

You're joking, surely?

Also the fans didn't turn on Lukaku, and he put in plenty of performances worse than Rashford did on Saturday.

I don't understand why people are trying to make out that the local United support is xenophobic/ racist/ or show favouritism to local players.

Not saying that's your own personal opinion but there are a lot of posts on her recently that seem to be insinuating the reason why some players aren't like by the fans is due to either their nationality or even worst, ethnicity. It's absolutely crazy.

starman

I meant that from the media and the likes of Gary Neville, which somehow I left out. Lingard is rightfully getting criticism from many fans, but he's been shit for ages, and it's strangely after a fecking year that some are paying attention how shit he is, yet very little from famous pundits and journalists. Yeah Rashford is much younger I agree, but he's getting paid a fortune and paid like a seasoned pro, he should take the scrutiny that comes with that imo. He's been just as shit as Lukaku and never been dropped getting back to the second part of last season.
Well the attack and team in general looks more potent with Rashford and Martial than it ever had with Lukuku in it. If you actually prefer Mou's attack then Solskjaer's, then each on their own...

Think you are reaching with the Lingard stuff, i have read many articles that have berated Lingard. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-ratings-crystal-palace-16810987

Kostov

You're joking, surely?

Also the fans didn't turn on Lukaku, and he put in plenty of performances worse than Rashford did on Saturday.

I don't understand why people are trying to make out that the local United support is xenophobic/ racist/ or show favouritism to local players.

Not saying that's your own personal opinion but there are a lot of posts on her recently that seem to be insinuating the reason why some players aren't like by the fans is due to either their nationality or even worst, ethnicity. It's absolutely crazy.
I don't think it's regarding their nationality, race or anything. I am one of those people who think Smalling is very harshly treated by many of our own fans. Very often put in the same bracket as Jones, despite him being way more reliable and better servant to the club.

I also pointed out that I meant about the media, journalists and pundits when I first wrote that, my mistake because Lukaku originally referenced United fans. But in the same time I feel Lukaku was way more harshly treated on hire, called donkey and what not, compare that to how more measured the Rashford assessment is, I do think there is more to it.

I felt Lukaku was harshly treated very often compared to others in our team before as well.

Well the attack and team in general looks more potent with Rashford and Martial than it ever had with Lukuku in it. If you actually prefer Mou's attack then Solskjaer's, then each on their own...

Think you are reaching with the Lingard stuff, i have read many articles that have berated Lingard. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...hester-united-ratings-crystal-palace-16810987
I actually agree that the attack looks more potent now that Martial is the main striker, and Rashford the winger. Rashford was absolutely terrible in lots of the games since Ole came, and that Rashy nonsense.

I don't think I'm reaching too much with Lingard. He has been appalling for so fecking long it took ages for people to point that out. Take a look at his general output last season, you can go as far as the January of 2018, he was absolute crap and anyone pointing that out was labelled as hater on here.

Jimmy_Bond

But in the same time I feel Lukaku was way more harshly treated on hire, called donkey and what not, compare that to how more measured the Rashford assessment is, I do think there is more to it.
You only have to look in the Rashford threads to see that the assessment is far from "measured." Some people are verging on hating him. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately we lack genuine "supporters" nowadays, and it's verging on being a very toxic club to develop at. So far from our history it's sad, but the so called "fans" are to blame with their constant online hatred.

fergiesarmy1

You only have to look in the Rashford threads to see that the assessment is far from "measured." Some people are verging on hating him. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately we lack genuine "supporters" nowadays, and it's verging on being a very toxic club to develop at. So far from our history it's sad, but the so called "fans" are to blame with their constant online hatred.
It would be less toxic if the players behaved like footballers and not social media divas when the club is struggling. It’s kind of hard to watch jlingz pissing about with his laugh a minute tweets when city and Liverpool are making us look like clowns.

They need to grow up a bit and act professional (not been so bad this season but we’re only 3 games in) last thing I want to see is Jesse twatting on about 0.012% when that’s a higher percentage than the likelihood of him scoring.

Jimmy_Bond

It would be less toxic if the players behaved like footballers and not social media divas when the club is struggling. It’s kind of hard to watch jlingz pissing about with his laugh a minute tweets when city and Liverpool are making us look like clowns.

They need to grow up a bit and act professional (not been so bad this season but we’re only 3 games in) last thing I want to see is Jesse twatting on about 0.012% when that’s a higher percentage than the likelihood of him scoring.
Fair point, I certainly miss the pre-social media days and agree it's added to the toxic relationship between some players and fans.

However, the toxicity is still only one way (from fan to player), so it doesn't go nearly all the way to condoning it.