Romelu Lukaku claims he was scapegoated with two other players at Manchester United

fergiesarmy1

Fair point, I certainly miss the pre-social media days and agree it's added to the toxic relationship between some players and fans.

However, the toxicity is still only one way (from fan to player), so it doesn't go nearly all the way to condoning it.
I think they get fully backed at games especially away, the internet is an unruly place though and if they can’t take it online then they either need to keep of it or man up.

Jimmy_Bond

I think they get fully backed at games especially away, the internet is an unruly place though and if they can’t take it online then they either need to keep of it or man up.
I'm with you to a certain degree but the "man up" thing I'm not so sure. Some of the abuse is absolutely vile, and verges on being inhumane. Especially when we start getting into racism.

Fans have to be smart. Would these players have a better feeling about being at the club and feel more affinity with the club were they not receiving constant abuse from their own fans on social media? I would wager "yes." would this lead to increased performance? Possibly. It certainly wouldn't do any harm,

I'm no fan of social media, but no player has ever posted anything to deserve the level of abuse they receive from people who supposedly want the best for the club.

And the support in the ground, home and away is always great, I 100% agree. Unfortunately that's only 2 hours of the week, compared the other 100 + where they'll being abused by their own fans in a frankly toxic manner.

fergiesarmy1

I'm with you to a certain degree but the "man up" thing I'm not so sure. Some of the abuse is absolutely vile, and verges on being inhumane. Especially when we start getting into racism.

Fans have to be smart. Would these players have a better feeling about being at the club and feel more affinity with the club were they not receiving constant abuse from their own fans on social media? I would wager "yes." would this lead to increased performance? Possibly. It certainly wouldn't do any harm,

I'm no fan of social media, but no player has ever posted anything to deserve the level of abuse they receive from people who supposedly want the best for the club.

And the support in the ground, home and away is always great, I 100% agree. Unfortunately that's only 2 hours of the week, compared the other 100 + where they'll being abused by their own fans in a frankly toxic manner.
The ones posting the racist bullshit do we even agree they are fans? There was some talk on Sunday supplement about whether or not they were bots.

Jimmy_Bond

The ones posting the racist bullshit do we even agree they are fans? There was some talk on Sunday supplement about whether or not they were bots.
It's a possibility.

But i'm referring more to the type of "fans" who deem it necessary to post under Matic's social media posts things like "you are shit please never play for my club again get out you cnut bla bla bla" and things to this degree.

People like Matic, Young, Jones and Smalling are not good enough. However, I've never seen them give anything less than 100%, and have certainly never posted anything untoward on social media. No player deserves it, not Pogba, Rashford, Lingard nor the ones previously mentioned.

The Liverpool and City players don't get it from their own fans, and their bond with the fans and performances keeping reaching higher levels. Ours do, and the performance/ bond continuously get worse.

These boys need to be able to withstand criticism, and will expect abuse from rival fans. Abuse and toxicity from their own fans however, is never going to equate to success.

fergiesarmy1

It's a possibility.

But i'm referring more to the type of "fans" who deem it necessary to post under Matic's social media posts things like "you are shit please never play for my club again get out you cnut bla bla bla" and things to this degree.

People like Matic, Young, Jones and Smalling are not good enough. However, I've never seen them give anything less than 100%, and have certainly never posted anything untoward on social media. No player deserves it, not Pogba, Rashford, Lingard nor the ones previously mentioned.

The Liverpool and City players don't get it from their own fans, and their bond with the fans and performances keeping reaching higher levels. Ours do, and the performance/ bond continuously get worse.

These boys need to be able to withstand criticism, and will expect abuse from rival fans. Abuse and toxicity from their own fans however, is never going to equate to success.
Maybe it’s more a sign of the times, they are performing unbelievable for the last few years but when they both stank there wasn’t any near this level of this social media jibber jabber so never got the trolls abuse. Plus we have a crazy amount of fans compared to them especially city.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Selling Lukaku was not a mistake, not replacing him was/is.
Exactly as we will be told by the media every time he scores. He will score plenty there. He didn't suit us, but to not replace him was terrible. Putting all the pressure onto Rashford/Martial and a kid.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He just scored.
Soon someone will start a thread "selling Lukaku was a mistake"..:))
Firstly it’s against Leece. No one doubted his ability to score against relegation fodder, it’s his record against top class opposition.

Two, he’s playing for a side that’s less high profile these days, it’ll suit him.

Three, selling him was the right move but not having another goal scorer or working with Sanchez shows how amateur the club is