Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He played at a similar level to his previous games for Inter. This performance just lacked a goal.

Eoin McMahon

I understand frustration with a player that should be doing better with his talent or anger at a players off field antics that affect his preparation for a big game but its disappointing to see resentment and ridicule towards a player that tried his best for the club and in his first season with us brilliant for us and showed passion and leadership on the field that people quickly forget.

I am still confused by his condition when returned for his second season? Was it his idea to bulk up or was it Mourinhos attempt to turn Lukaku into a pure target man. With this extra weight he lost the pace on the turn that was probably his most dangerous asset in getting in front of defenders they were never going to out muscle him.

I have to think Mourinho requested him to bulk up as surely he would have said so otherwise. It's a shame as a slim Lukaku that ran at the defence would probably still be our first choice ST today. If he is responsible for his weight gain then he has only himself to blame for his departure. Regardless he gave his best for the club and never cause any trouble during his exit.

You don't have to insult or disrespect others to prove a point. If you do, that just shows how shaky you point must be.

Eoin McMahon

Bad first touch
Thing is was that before he piled on the weight and became a target man his first touch had gone unnoticed until last season as he hadnt needed it as much and to have a poor first touch for a target man is just never going to work is it. Whoever let him or asked him to put on that much bulk clearly hadnt checked to see if he could actually play the role other than his size.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I understand frustration with a player that should be doing better with his talent or anger at a players off field antics that affect his preparation for a big game but its disappointing to see resentment and ridicule towards a player that tried his best for the club and in his first season with us brilliant for us and showed passion and leadership on the field that people quickly forget.

I am still confused by his condition when returned for his second season? Was it his idea to bulk up or was it Mourinhos attempt to turn Lukaku into a pure target man. With this extra weight he lost the pace on the turn that was probably his most dangerous asset in getting in front of defenders they were never going to out muscle him.

I have to think Mourinho requested him to bulk up as surely he would have said so otherwise. It's a shame as a slim Lukaku that ran at the defence would probably still be our first choice ST today. If he is responsible for his weight gain then he has only himself to blame for his departure. Regardless he gave his best for the club and never cause any trouble during his exit.

You don't have to insult or disrespect others to prove a point. If you do, that just shows how shaky you point must be.
He said himself the reason he bulked up was for the world Cup

Suedesi

Lukaku bulked up himself, because of the WC not because of Mourinho.

He caused plenty of trouble during his exit.

Thing is was that before he piled on the weight and became a target man his first touch had gone unnoticed until last season as he hadnt needed it as much and to have a poor first touch for a target man is just never going to work is it. Whoever let him or asked him to put on that much bulk clearly hadnt checked to see if he could actually play the role other than his size.
He's always had a poor first touch, even when he was skinny at Everton.

SATA

He’s getting found out after a bright start. He started well with us too then his limitations got gradually exposed. Inter fans will realised soon what they are getting with him. Delighted this was a permanent sale

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Ars fans were making fun of us when we signed him particularly because of his horrendous first touch. And i still remember a few people here suggesting that he didn't have a bad touch when he scored a few goals.

Eoin McMahon

He said himself the reason he bulked up was for the world Cup
Ah ok I wasn't aware he said anything about his bulk. Ya he definitely struggled for fitness and to lose the weight after that. He took away alot of his best movements and strengths and the fact he couldn't lose it and is still struggling to lose it is not a good sign for a professional soccer player is it

Eoin McMahon

Lukaku bulked up himself, because of the WC not because of Mourinho.

He caused plenty of trouble during his exit.
Thanks for the info was unaware he made a comment on his weight gain a decision that clearly wasnt thought through properly knowing he would have no preseason to lose the extra weight. Madness.

Eoin McMahon

He's always had a poor first touch, even when he was skinny at Everton.
Didn't say his touch was good or bad I just said his touch was much less noticeable when not having to hold up the ball as much as when after he gained weight.

Eoin McMahon

Ars fans were making fun of us when we signed him particularly because of his horrendous first touch. And i still remember a few people here suggesting that he didn't have a bad touch when he scored a few goals.
I think everyone was happy enough with his first season for us and as top goalscorer just lacked goals in the big games but was scoring consistently which was what we needed at the time. We even had a song about him which eventually was banned but never took too much notice of his first touch as he mostly played in behind or into channels.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
why not let that ball run across your body. He didn't need to take it where he did. He also has enough pace to direct the ball slightly to his left and catch up to it before the keeper.

He's also standing far too close to the defender.

If that was RVP, but that ball is a goal scoring opportunity...

meamth

Another 4d chess move

No idea why he didn't just shoot
....pointless one two that.

He did the right thing moving to the left to open up space.

Received the pass but immediately return it back to the passer. (The passer didn't even make a new run)

All defenders caught up to the Penalty box. Chance gone.

Wtf?

Eoin McMahon

I think everyone was happy enough with his first season for us and as top goalscorer just lacked goals in the big games but was scoring consistently which was what we needed at the time.

Received the pass but immediately return it back to the passer. (The passer didn't even make a new run)

Wtf?
It seems like he thought the defender coming behind him was closer than he actually was, then panicked the pass. You see with Lukaku is that there will probably a few more of these poor touches or slip ups but he'll still end the season with 20+ goals to his name. Quality goalscorer and every top team could do with one of those. I wouldnt have minded him staying at Utd if he was ok with being 2nd choice ST.

meamth

It seems like he thought the defender coming behind him was closer than he actually was, then panicked the pass. You see with Lukaku is that there will probably a few more of these poor touches or slip ups but he'll still end the season with 20+ goals to his name. Quality goalscorer and every top team could do with one of those. I wouldnt have minded him staying at Utd if he was ok with being 2nd choice ST.
If he is on squad player's salary then I don't mind.

He was on high wages, supposedly being our world class striker. Fact is he is not fit to be a classic United forward.

Berba was classy, this guy is like our worst version of Chicharito. There I said it, he was on the same level as Chicharito in terms of quality.

Didn't say his touch was good or bad I just said his touch was much less noticeable when not having to hold up the ball as much as when after he gained weight.
It was always noticeable, it was one of the main reasons why some of us didn't want him. There was even compilation video made by oppo fans of his first touch, it's was so bad honestly.

prateik

He was on high wages, supposedly being our world class striker. Fact is he is not fit to be a classic United forward.

Berba was classy, this guy is like our worst version of Chicharito. There I said it, he was on the same level as Chicharito in terms of quality.
Hernandez was miles better for us.. He knew what his strengths were.. was a reliable goalscorer for us.
This guy thinks he can do a lot more than he is capable of.

Eoin McMahon

Think he was on 150,000-200,000 a week which when you consider Young and Smalling are both on 120,000 a week is pretty much a squad wage:lol: Berbatov wasn't consistent enough but i loved his technique and ball control he didn't really make us much better overall would have preferred to keep Tevez no doubt. I feel the PL has just gotten too fast and physical for players like Chicarito and that poacher style ST is rare in the PL these days.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think he was on 150,000-200,000 a week which when you consider Young and Smalling are both on 120,000 a week is pretty much a squad wage:lol: Berbatov wasn't consistent enough but i loved his technique and ball control he didn't really make us much better overall would have preferred to keep Tevez no doubt. I feel the PL has just gotten too fast and physical for players like Chicarito and that poacher style ST is rare in the PL these days.
He was on around 230k per week which puts him in top 5-10 paid players in the league.

Eoin McMahon

It was always noticeable, it was one of the main reasons why some of us didn't want him. There was even compilation video made by oppo fans of his first touch, it's was so bad honestly.
As noticeable to the point that you kept bringing it up in every thread, post and videos surely you haven't been this obsessed with Lukakus ball control for the last 6-7 years if it was that noticeable back then I suppose you must have been. Ah well I suppose everybody has their own thing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think everyone was happy enough with his first season for us and as top goalscorer just lacked goals in the big games but was scoring consistently which was what we needed at the time. We even had a song about him which eventually was banned but never took too much notice of his first touch as he mostly played in behind or into channels.
First season was massively overrated he only scored 16 league goals all season despite being untouchable. He had two massive barren spells and scored in patches not consistently. On top of that his all round game was trash.

Shimo

:lol: with the pointing again after terribly breaking down the play. He is left footed, why he just didn't let the ball run across, probably because had no clue what was around him.

As noticeable to the point that you kept bringing it up in every thread, post and videos surely you haven't been this obsessed with Lukakus ball control for the last 6-7 years if it was that noticeable back then I suppose you must have been. Ah well I suppose everybody has their own thing.
What are you talking about? I’ve hardly posted about Lukaku since he’s left. And further more I haven’t been a member on this forum for the past 6-7 years I only joined in 2018 so how do you know whether it bothered me or not?

Eoin McMahon

What are you talking about? I’ve hardly posted about Lukaku since he’s left. And further more I haven’t been a member on this forum for the past 6-7 years I only joined in 2018 so how do you know whether it bothered me or not?
Did you or did you not say that Lukaku's first touch was always as noticeable as even now? My comment meant that if you are right about the touch being just as noticeable as it is now then that must have meant you were just as vocal about then as you are now. I couldn't care if it did, didn't, does or doesn't bother you but I'm making an assumption on your comment that if was as big a talking point back then as like now then you must of been talking about it for years

Did you or did you not say that Lukaku's first touch was always as noticeable as even now? My comment meant that if you are right about the touch being just as noticeable as it is now then that must have meant you were just as vocal about then as you are now. I couldn't care if it did, didn't, does or doesn't bother you but I'm making an assumption on your comment that if was as big a talking point back then as like now then you must of been talking about it for years
Yes it was noticeable but why would it bother me when he was playing for Everton? It was only an issue for me last season as his first season he did quite well for us.

Eoin McMahon

First season was massively overrated he only scored 16 league goals all season despite being untouchable. He had two massive barren spells and scored in patches not consistently. On top of that his all round game was trash.
I think he was neither over rated or underated tbh I mean he scored 27 goals in all comps and was our top goalscorer by some distance. You forget this Mouriho struggled badly to score and a number of players went through barren spells.He was only 24 years and in his first season at the club and finished as top goalscorer while the team got its best finish in 6 years. What would you have liked him to do?

I understand frustration with a player that should be doing better with his talent or anger at a players off field antics that affect his preparation for a big game but its disappointing to see resentment and ridicule towards a player that tried his best for the club

Regardless he gave his best for the club and never cause any trouble during his exit.
What a blinkered post.

The reason most Utd fans are wanting the guy to fail because he’s been utterly unprofessional.
  • Posting speed stats that ridicule your team mates
  • Not bothering to be fit enough to be a professional footballer - the guy was knackered after 15 mins
  • Lazy
  • Refusing to play in pre-season
  • His agent talking crap about the club
  • Detrimental interviews about Utd, made before he left
I can only imagine what he was like behind the scenes. He didn’t try his best by any stretch of the imagination. A determined, focused and professional Lukuku could have been a very good player for us - and we would have lived with his crap touch, inability to score against a decent team and going without goals for months on end - If he showed us he was a team player, putting in the effort, trying his best and being professional.

Unfortunately he’s a player who came to a big club, got paid massively, thought he made it and gave up (he forgot what he did in the first instance over those years to get to Utd). He got consumed by his own hype but never had the determination to be good enough.

Thank God for, I’m still amazed we nearly got our money back off of him after the crap we have seen from him. I’m sure their fans are going to love him!

Stacks

He didn't try his best. He refused to lose weight and ran less than anyone on our team

Eoin McMahon

Yes it was noticeable but why would it bother me when he was playing for Everton? It was only an issue for me last season as his first season he did quite well for us.
No bother but maybe the best way to prove me wrong is making a video compilation of Lukaku touched from his /Everton days. Youd get to show me up and have fun at the same time.

Selbourne

think Eoin McMahon is on this weird WUM vendetta tbh. kinda explains why his "facts" have been debunked so quickly. but heyho fun viewing for people i guess.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Have no ill will against him. Would still insist it was the right decision even if he scores a hat-trick every game.

Eoin McMahon

He didn't try his best. He refused to lose weight and ran less than anyone on our team
In his 1st season he was one of the players who showed a bit of leadership and he had a good season. His 2nd season is a crazy situation I still can't believe. SO he personally bulked up for the WC which meant Martinez must have agreed or even asked him to do it. Then to return to Manchester and struggle to lose weight I agree is unacceptable but for Mourinho to involve him if he was still overweight doesn't help the matter. i don't think a guy whos refusing to lose weight comes off the bench the following game? Romelu did try but when you try and are constantly slagged by you own fans for your touch or weight its just childish and embarrassing. I think that defiantly dampened his desire to try,

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Wtf?
It's mad isn't it. Part of me thinks he completely fecked up controlling it that it even looked like a pass :lol: Either way, it's just horrendous. Platini was a twat but one thing he's always been right about is the importance of the first touch be it to control it yourself or pass it.

Eoin McMahon

What a blinkered post.

The reason most Utd fans are wanting the guy to fail because he’s been utterly unprofessional.
  • Posting speed stats that ridicule your team mates
  • Not bothering to be fit enough to be a professional footballer - the guy was knackered after 15 mins
  • Lazy
  • Refusing to play in pre-season
  • His agent talking crap about the club
  • Detrimental interviews about Utd, made before he left
I can only imagine what he was like behind the scenes. He didn’t try his best by any stretch of the imagination. A determined, focused and professional Lukuku could have been a very good player for us - and we would have lived with his crap touch, inability to score against a decent team and going without goals for months on end - If he showed us he was a team player, putting in the effort, trying his best and being professional.

Unfortunately he’s a player who came to a big club, got paid massively, thought he made it and gave up (he forgot what he did in the first instance over those years to get to Utd). He got consumed by his own hype but never had the determination to be good enough.

Thank God for, I’m still amazed we nearly got our money back off of him after the crap we have seen from him. I’m sure their fans are going to love him!
It's a blinkered thread at this point which is funny that almost every post is basing how much of a letdown or trouble he caused at the club on just last summer.
I'm not some superfan of the guy ok but I find lack of class and lack of facts in these posts to be disappointing. Lukaku had a good first season- top goalscorer- 2nd place-showed leadership in a number of games and was still only 24.

The strange situation regarding this huge weight gain that ive been told was for the WC is a senseless decision by the player and the Belgian FA. With no preseason and a injury sustained he was going to struggle to lose that weight. He must have lost enough though because started playing him which if he was still overweight was a silly mistake letting off the hook.
Now and finally all you points. So at the start of preseason Lukaku was informed he would be 2nd choice ST behind Rashford, which Lukaku couldn't accept and requested to leave which we agreed to if the fee came in.
Remember how long that deal took to complete?Lukaku to Inter?

3 months and move that was down to haggling on our side an extra 10 mill. Remember the Dybala swap deal that was on then gone in a week. You see theres two sides in every story mate and blindly following your heart will catch you one day, Lukaku was obviously frustrated the deal was way too dragged out but they got it done.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think he was neither over rated or underated tbh I mean he scored 27 goals in all comps and was our top goalscorer by some distance. You forget this Mouriho struggled badly to score and a number of players went through barren spells.He was only 24 years and in his first season at the club and finished as top goalscorer while the team got its best finish in 6 years. What would you have liked him to do?
I think he was overrated 27 goals sounds quite good, but that's in all comps with stats padded out against lower league teams in the fa cup and weaker sides in Europe in the group stages.

What would I have liked him to do? Play better, score more goals if he can't. More goals than 9 in the league from October to May. Score against more than one decent team in the league all season. Etc etc.

Eoin McMahon

I think he was overrated 27 goals sounds quite good, but that's in all comps with stats padded out against lower league teams in the fa cup and weaker sides in Europe in the group stages.

What would I have liked him to do? Play better, score more goals if he can't. More goals than 9 in the league from October to May. Score against more than one decent team in the league all season. Etc etc.
It was his first season, he was only 24 and he got 27 goals and was top scorer in a team that struggled to score all season, nobody claimed he was on Ronaldo Or Messi level yet.
Play better, score more, don't drop off scoring inpact on big games? Yep there probably the exact same improvements that every striker in the world will be trying to make and thants what next season for right?

Eoin McMahon

think Eoin McMahon is on this weird WUM vendetta tbh. kinda explains why his "facts" have been debunked so quickly. but heyho fun viewing for people i guess.
No vendetta, no reason just enjoy conversations and but with this thread I disprove and especially as it is just turning into a bunch of people who would be better off playing outside than here. You'd think the guy is a robot and its ok to take out all our frustration and anger on a stranger. I hoped Utd fans wouldn't have too many with these same views but the incident last season in the final game of Paul Pogba being abused and spat at made me sick.
Why act like liverpool fans when we can act like real fans.