Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

You can say it is just Italy, but it is not like PL sides did well in Europe this season.
All PL clubs failed so not sure we should look down on other leagues.
Defending has generally been strong in Italy so it is not just to easily score.
It's a long time since Serie A was a strong defensive league. It's pretty free scoring nowadays and games are often all over the place.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I was actually thinking about that comparison the other night but I think Lukaku is a better overall player. Maybe I'm not remembering him right but wasn't Gomez a fox in the box poacher with very little else to his game? I can't recall him before his injuries so maybe you're right but I just remember him scoring 40+ goals in one season for Bayern and a lot of them were really scrappy, opportunists goals (very effective obviously).

Inzaghi is another one of those players where you think, take away the goals and there's nothing there.
Gomez didn't bring much to the table other than being big, quick and a good goalscorer, but is Lukaku any different in that regard?
He didn't necessarily have a silky first touch, but I don't remember him being a meme like Lukaku. And unlike Lukaku, who seems to often just blast it into the keeper, Gomez was actually a pretty clinical finisher when his team set him up.

clarkydaz

I don’t blame him for not wanting it either, I wouldn’t expect him to hang it above his mantle piece but just grow up and go and get it, give it away to a fan or charity or whatever. Show some maturity and respect instead of going off on his own somewhere Sulking.
Each to their own, I just find him funny
Stadium was bloody empty anyway

OldTrevil

Omg I can't believe I missed such a glorious a moment as Lukaku controlling the ball into his own net...

Paul_Scholes18

It's a long time since Serie A was a strong defensive league. It's pretty free scoring nowadays and games are often all over the place.
There are more goals than in PL, but still pretty defensive from watching. At least playing against the big sides early in the games.

GGT

How can people be so vindictive towards a player in these circumstances?, especially as he used to play for us?
I't ain't pleasant reading, it is shit, and just goes to show that an internet forum is not representative of real football fans.

Stacks

That didn’t make you sound any less bitter mate.

United was too big for him, the media, the pressure, everything. Strange to be bitter about such a nothing player in our history.
I'm not bitter bro believe me. I just found him a tad arrogant and having zero accountability. He was playing for Everton so I would of thought he would be a bit more enthusiastic.

Stacks

But it's. I really don't find any reason to be bitter about the quote above. He didn't like it at United, and couldn't like the pressure from fans and media when he doesn't score so thought of leaving. Why should I get mad because he said this ?
true but he didn't work hard at United and made little effort to trim down after admitting he put on weight,, despite it affecting his performance. That's disrespect and unprofesstional. He just pointed a lot. He also tried to criticise French players who celebrated winning the world cup despite not playing many minutes. I mean come on. The dude has won basically nothing in his career and coming with this arrogance. He sounds like a bit of a dick.

manunited1919

Poor Lukaku. He grew up under the shadow of Drogba, and he tries hard, but will never be as good as him.

NotThatSoph

true but he didn't work hard at United and made little effort to trim down after admitting he put on weight,, despite it affecting his performance. That's disrespect and unprofesstional. He just pointed a lot. He also tried to criticise French players who celebrated winning the world cup despite not playing many minutes. I mean come on. The dude has won basically nothing in his career and coming with this arrogance. He sounds like a bit of a dick.
This is assuming his dietary issues were lies.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Poor Lukaku. He grew up under the shadow of Drogba, and he tries hard, but will never be as good as him.
The comparisons with Drogba were beyond lazy. He has/had more in common with Torres stylistically.

SambaBoy

Why does he get so much hate on here? He wasn't an complete flop for us, he did well at times and scored goals which he was brought in to do. He lacked in parts of his game, his hold up play and dribbling ability was pretty poor compared to someone like Martial, but some of the videos posted in here of him missing chances I have seen Rashford and Martial do the same. People would have you believe he is a terrible striker when in reality he's a pretty good one but arguably not good enough for the very top clubs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why does he get so much hate on here? He wasn't an complete flop for us, he did well at times and scored goals which he was brought in to do. He lacked in parts of his game, his hold up play and dribbling ability was pretty poor compared to someone like Martial, but some of the videos posted in here of him missing chances I have seen Rashford and Martial do the same. People would have you believe he is a terrible striker when in reality he's a pretty good one but arguably not good enough for the very top clubs.
I think it has to do with A) the whole meme culture - see people mocking Sterling's miss. So anyone with had technical qualities like Fellaini get hammered these days, and B) very importantly, Lukaku has done some moronic things to get on the wrong side of United fans. I remember his departure was pretty weird with him creaming himself over Conte, training with another team and being terribly unfit. To top it off he made that comment about want to leaving United withing a few days of joining.

So I'm not surprised a few kind words don't make our fans fall in love with him again.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think he said players posing with fake world cup who were not even part of the squad.

Assumption was it was about Martial as he was the only French player who didn't make the squad.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I blame Inter defenders for that goal. I mean, how could they leave him unmarked and give him that much space?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Tbh if I had never won a competition before and the reason we lost was because I scored an OG I'd find it hard to go up and receive a medal that would remind me of that fact. Do not blame him for not wanting it.
He’s a grown man. Suck it up and collect the medal instead of crying like a baby in the dressing room.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I know. Some people could really do with letting go and moving on. It's unhealthy to hold on to so much negativity.
The BBC headlined with this story the day after United lost against Sevilla:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53815334

Fans who are in this thread taunting Lukaku are doing so because so much of the media and opposition fans were and always are happy to rub our faces in it.

He’s played at some big clubs and still hasn’t won a trophy, adding further fuel to the fire that he’s not a forward to build a trophy winning team around.

Eugenius

To be fair Juve were really in for him at one point. If he had landed up there he'd have won the league. He's had a terrific season with 35 goals or whatever it is. I agree he's a limited player but he can still play a big part in a title challenge. Doubt that title challenge will happen at Inter. If Conte leaves he's going to feel a bit hard done by :lol:
He’s a good player no doubt, but no surprise to see him padding his stats in the semi final when the game was won, and then to cock up in the final itself.

He's scored 35 but takes penalties now. Martial could easily be on 30+ with penalties too this season.

He is much too limited against big teams and rarely provides the decisive moment in a game.

MalcolmTucker

The reason people still laugh at Lukaku is because there are morons in the media and our very own fans that think he's better than Martial and Rashford despite both scoring more league goals this season than he ever did for us and both had injuries. These fans always pipe up when Lukaku gets a brace against SPAL or scores the 4th and 5th goal vs. Shakhtar Donetsk so people return the favour when he fluffs his chances and scores an OG in the final.

These people look at the amount of goals he scored in Italy, despite players like Immobile, Duvan Zapata and Muriel scoring at a better rate than him and completely disregard how crap he was for 80% of his time here. It's like some weird amnesia. Last season a 36 year old Quagliarella scored more goals for Sampdoria than Lukaku scored in Serie A this season - what he's done is not impressive and you only have to look at the Inter boards to see that he's still a liability on the ball and in big games (he scored 0 goals against the top 4 this season).

Bar his post-match comments against Shakhtar, he has also slagged us off in the media and blamed everyone but himself. Much like Moyes, it rubs people up the wrong way and people expressing that shouldn't be a surprise on a Man United board. There's a reason Lukaku gets shit and someone like Depay doesn't.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How can people be so vindictive towards a player in these circumstances?, especially as he used to play for us?
I't ain't pleasant reading, it is shit, and just goes to show that an internet forum is not representative of real football fans.
What a load of garage, I can say with certainly there are many ‘proper’ Utd fans messaging their mates laughing at Lukaku which is what he deserves for the disrespect he showed the club.

I think he said players posing with fake world cup who were not even part of the squad.

Assumption was it was about Martial as he was the only French player who didn't make the squad.
Did Martial do that? Lukaku seems to have a chip on his shoulder of some sort, and he was very obviously not popular in the dressing room by the time he left us.

Haddock

Lukaku has done many interviews where he alludes to Drogba being something of a hero and role model.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.go...lsea-inter-belgium/1r34hpirskaqn1qm0p1d3apstf
Drogba was his idol, it doesn't mean he's anything like him. I'm sure Chris Brunt idolised Rivaldo too. The only thing Lukaku has in comparison with Drogba is strength and speed otherwise there's little to note.
The best I've seen Lukaku play is when he drives at defenders like he did to win the penalty or against Brazil.

Drogba did some of his best work with his back to goal, was far better in the air, would never get bullied by lesser defenders, a superb technical player and such a clever player with his runs and passes. Of course we all know his big game record. Magnificent forward who you can't put a price on.
I blame Inter defenders for that goal. I mean, how could they leave him unmarked and give him that much space?
Absolutely. When the centre half is attempting an overhead you know you've fecked up.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Drogba was his idol, it doesn't mean he's anything like him. I'm sure Chris Brunt idolised Rivaldo too. The only thing Lukaku has in comparison with Drogba is strength and speed otherwise there's little to note.
The best I've seen Lukaku play is when he drives at defenders like he did to win the penalty or against Brazil.

Drogba did some of his best work with his back to goal, was far better in the air, would never get bullied by lesser defenders, a superb technical player and such a clever player with his runs and passes. Of course we all know his big game record. Magnificent forward who you can't put a price on.

Absolutely. When the centre half is attempting an overhead you know you've fecked up.
Yeah, I agree they are stylistically worlds apart and Drogba was sensational. The original post suggested that Lukaku came up in Drog’s shadow. Given that Drog is Lukaku’s idol and was the main man when Lukaku was trying to break through, I’d say it was a fair point, irrespective of whether they have different play styles.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Re Lukaku’s medal meltdown. It’s just decency and sportsmanship. You lost, suck it up and get on with it. It’s just not a good look for him and adds to the growing body of evidence that he’s a bit of a tit.

Red Foxx

No one hating him for it, it’s almost the opposite, it’s bloody hilarious!

Attention seeking Lukaku, makes it all about himself as per usual. It is comical.
Dude.. did he sleep with your wife or disrespect your mother or something? Just let it go.

He scored an OG which caused his team to lose a cup final. If the man doesn’t want to collect his medal, so be it. All this extra dialogue around it is tedious.

We get it. You’re not a fan of his. You feel he doesn’t have a big club mentality and he should’ve given his medal to an orphan or charity or whatever. Let it go.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did Martial do that? Lukaku seems to have a chip on his shoulder of some sort, and he was very obviously not popular in the dressing room by the time he left us.
I don't know. He said this in a podcast that was recorded before he left United.

you would think it would be easier to handle. I didnt realise Seviila gave them a guard of honour walking up so he missed that aswell
That’s sportsmanship.

You also saw yesterday all the Pakistan players congratulating Crawley on his innings.

Lukaku has zero sportsmanship in his body, he’s petulant, blames everyone else and can’t cope being a loser.

No wonder no one who plays with him has a good word to say about him.

People talk about his goal record, and it looks ok in retrospect. However, just remember how we felt at the time.

16 league goals first year
12 league goals second year

That’s average, and then think he was the main focal point and was undroppable.

1 goal on 23 appearances against the top 6
Went months without scoring a goal

Take out his attitude, fitness, temperament, mentality and you have an average striker. Not one that’s worth £75m.

Was never happy with him, but if he left in the right way, I wouldn’t have a problem with him. Depay and Falcao are example of players that weren’t good enough, and left and no Utd fan has an issue with them.

However, when you add in all the extra crap, like posting the stats, going off to anderlect, his appalling, and I mean appalling fitness, his attitude to leaving, and then coming out and saying he wanted to leave after the second game - it’s no wonder he’s disliked by both fans and players.

I dislike him, I don’t hate him, but I find it bloody hilarious that he scored an OG in the final, refused to collect his medal, all after Inter tweet about his first touch - that’s some nice Karma for him being a tit towards the club. Cheers Romulu.

stevoc

You can say it is just Italy, but it is not like PL sides did well in Europe this season.
All PL clubs failed so not sure we should look down on other leagues.
Defending has generally been strong in Italy so it is not just to easily score.
Neither did Italian teams. Not sure what relevance teams performances in knockout competitions have to judging the relative leagues though.

Juve the Italian champions got knocked out by the 7th best team in France. Does that mean the French league is stronger? No of course not.

But you can judge a leagues strength by the players moving between them. Would a 35 year old back-up fullback be able to move from the 3rd-4th best team in Italy and start as a winger for City? No again of course not. Because the Premier League is a stronger league.

Lukaku has did well in Italy the league suits him and fair play to him. But when making direct comparisons between his goal tally and a player playing in England. The strength of the respective leagues has to be taken into account. That’s all I’m saying.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The BBC headlined with this story the day after United lost against Sevilla:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53815334

Fans who are in this thread taunting Lukaku are doing so because so much of the media and opposition fans were and always are happy to rub our faces in it.

He’s played at some big clubs and still hasn’t won a trophy, adding further fuel to the fire that he’s not a forward to build a trophy winning team around.
Yeah that's a fairly standard piece of journalist analysis, probably just the right side of clickbait. People still rise to it every time, which I could never be bothered to do.

Lukaku's scoring record against top teams is a worse stat than his lack of trophies imo. Ruud was class for us but won one league in five years.