Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Stacks

Confirming the quite frankly astonishing idea that strikers tend to find it easy to score against crap teams and hard against good teams.
Thats true but his record in the EPL was alarmingly worse than any of the other decent strikers. Like shocking. It was a consistent theme through his time in England. His own Belgium teammate took a swipe at him for hiding. Can this Belgium golden generation truly challenge with a striker that disappears as soon as they get to the "tougher" parts of the tournament? Ask yourself; could Belgium still win games and get to the same stage of each competition without Lukaku's goals? I think they could even with Batsuayi. They have the supporting cast

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Lukaku is definitely better than any strikers United have at the moment. Obviously United have had better strikers in the past, but you need to name the specific past strikers you are comparing him with because he is also better than some of them.
Hmm... maybe Lukaku is better than Rooney when Rooney was out injured, apart from that I don’t know. There’s also a small possibility that in the past our 4th choice striker was not necessarily better than Lukaku but then he also didn’t cost the huge fee a first team “first class” striker costs.

Idxomer

When Lukaku is in the team - United is only as as good as Lukaku is because literally everything has to be created for him, or football has to be played to his strengths.

People might say this is still true with our other strikers still in our team but Lukaku was the least team player like forward in our team. We ditched that aspect because whilst it hasnt happened yet - replacing Lukaku isnt a hard thing to do and we will get there some day to doing that because it simply isnt hard to replacing the guy. He isnt missed.

Football is more than just putting the ball in the back of the net. If it's the latter we want we can find that, if its more we can find that also.
This is really a good point, the problem with Lukaku isn't that he won't score goals but the team has to be tailored to service him. The Inter team is the most obvious case in his career so far, they most likely will fail again to do anything of notice this season.

MalcolmTucker

We get it.
Chris Wood and Danny Ings are better players than Lukaku, I mean their 80 plus goals in the premiership (combined) far out weigh Lukakus 100 plus goals... obviously...
I feel really silly now.
Thanks for pointing that out mate.
They've also played less PL games than Lukaku combined genius.

Do I think Wood is a better striker than Lukaku? No.

Do i think Ings is a better striker than Lukaku? I think they are about the same level.

What I do think is Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are better players and I find it disrespectful that some of our own fans rate Lukaku above them. When Lukaku was playing here, Martial actually scored at a better rate than him in the PL and that's while being rotated and playing from the left. Yet we have morons saying we need a proper striker and never replaced Lukaku - a player who scored less frequently, who can't control a ball and who managed to get overweight while he was here.

Last edited:

Stacks

Do i think Ings is a better striker than Lukaku? I think they are about the same level.

What I do think is Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are better players and I find it disrespectful that some of our own fans rate Lukaku above them. When Lukaku was playing here, Martial actually scored at a better rate than him and that's while being rotated and playing from the left. Yet we have morons saying we need a proper striker and never replaced Lukaku - a player who scored less frequently, who can't control a ball and who managed to get overweight while he was here.
What you do outside of United far outweighs what you actually did whilst playing for United. Memphis is now better than Rashford because he is doing well for Lyon didn't ya know?!

Stacks

The caf obsession with this guy truly baffles me.
Its because every time he scores it gets bumped to show us "what we are missing" and then those who are glad he is gone, are forced to retaliate. Its in every ex player thread from Memphis to Rafael. Nothing unique to Rom. If Van Gaal was still managing and winning games his thread would get bumped the moment he enjoys some success because there are always splits between those who desperately wanted it to work and those who are happy things parted ways

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
His international goals record is phenomenal. No doubt someone will claim that Belgium have somehow found a way to only ever play crap teams.
Flat track bully and a very difficult personality to like. For lack of better options at the moment I can stand him being in the team but the sooner we find our new striker and Lukaku fecks off, the better.

His last two important goals that I can recount are the ones in Croatia which qualified us for the World Cup in 2014 for the first time since 2002. Since then he hasn't scored against any opposition equal to / better than us (e.g. the likes of Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, ...). During two World Cups and one European Cup, he scored a grand total of 1 goal during all the KO stages.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Its because every time he scores it gets bumped to show us "what we are missing" and then those who are glad he is gone, are forced to retaliate. Its in every ex player thread from Memphis to Rafael. Nothing unique to Rom. If Van Gaal was still managing and winning games his thread would get bumped the moment he enjoys some success because there are always splits between those who desperately wanted it to work and those who are happy things parted ways
Not sure it's just ex-United players that a thread gets bumped for when they score, it's literally every player that there's a thread on in the football forum. Thread gets made, player drifts off into obscurity, 2 years later scores a goal and his thread is page one again. Same for managers having a good run of form. Without looking it up you know who scored or won at the weekend by looking at the threads that are near the top on this forum a lot of the time.

I think with Lukaku we've had more than that though, people bumping the thread when he doesn't score too or to post clips of a bad touch or missed chance. Good or bad it's bumped with him.

MalcolmTucker

What you do outside of United far outweighs what you actually did whilst playing for United. Memphis is now better than Rashford because he is doing well for Lyon didn't ya know?!
It's a bizarre phenomenon. I could understand if Lukaku had never played for us and posters were superficially impressed with his stats in Serie A without witnessing his all-round game, but we literally saw him play mostly rubbish for us for 2 years and score at a worst rate than our current number 9. No one is clamouring for Immobile despite comfortably outscoring Lukaku in the Serie A last season. It's so strange to me, especially when he has been disrespectful to the club since leaving.

pacifictheme

Hes doing well but I wouldn't have him back. Would sooner have a 39 year old Zlatan if we're going to sign ex strikers.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I think this is true for most players today.

Yesterday I read a stat that C. Ronaldo has played 15 times against the European Big 5 nations (Germany, Italy, Spain, France, England) and failed to score in 14 out of the 15 games, which sounded crazy to me. Not sure its correct so if someone can confirm that would be good.

Gone are the days of the players that step up in big national games at World Cups on a consistent level lole Ronaldo or even Klose did. Look at Cristiano and Messi. They have 0 World Cup knockout goals combined. Even Lukaku has more.
Seems to be true...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Cristiano_Ronaldo

A lot of his goals have been against so-called weaker teams but as has been commented on here, that applies to a lot of players, especially for better teams as they're more likely to be top seeds and have the opportunity/ability to rout weaker teams.

His only goals v those top 5 were that hattrick v Spain in the last World Cup, but he has also scored v Argentina, Belgium, Croatia and a few v Holland.

NotThatSoph

You are not forced to do anything. Lets take yourself as an example, how you came into the Lukaku thread to sarcastically write about Memphis is now supposedly better than Rashford because he's doing well for Lyon, and how the threads are bumped every time he scores.

He scored against Poland yesterday, no bump. He scored against Bosnia-Hercegovina four days ago, no bump. He scored against Monaco 25.10, no bump. He assisted three against Strasbourg 18.10, one single comment noting that he did and that it could have been five. He scored against Montpellier 15.9, no bump. The last proper bump connected to scoring is when he scored a hat trick against Dijon on opening day, mostly the little talk there's been has been about a music video and the links to Barcelona. Rashford was last mentioned in August, five times. First one about how he would have been useful, second how he isn't good enough, third how he would be the perfect backup to Martial and Rashford, fourth as a sub option and depth and competition, and the last one about him as part of a 4-5 man rotation with Martial, Rashford and maybe Sancho.

Just like how this thread is dominated by people making fun of Lukaku, you have constructed a false reality about Memphis as well. You're the one choosing to make sarcastic quips, and you're doing it because that's what you enjoy doing. Take some personal responsibility.

Stacks

You are not forced to do anything. Lets take yourself as an example, how you came into the Lukaku thread to sarcastically write about Memphis is now supposedly better than Rashford because he's doing well for Lyon, and how the threads are bumped every time he scores.

He scored against Poland yesterday, no bump. He scored against Bosnia-Hercegovina four days ago, no bump. He scored against Monaco 25.10, no bump. He assisted three against Strasbourg 18.10, one single comment noting that he did and that it could have been five. He scored against Montpellier 15.9, no bump. The last proper bump connected to scoring is when he scored a hat trick against Dijon on opening day, mostly the little talk there's been has been about a music video and the links to Barcelona. Rashford was last mentioned in August, five times. First one about how he would have been useful, second how he isn't good enough, third how he would be the perfect backup to Martial and Rashford, fourth as a sub option and depth and competition, and the last one about him as part of a 4-5 man rotation with Martial, Rashford and maybe Sancho.

Just like how this thread is dominated by people making fun of Lukaku, you have constructed a false reality about Memphis as well. You're the one choosing to make sarcastic quips, and you're doing it because that's what you enjoy doing. Take some personal responsibility.
Guess you have never heard of hyperbole. I do enjoy making hyperbolic statements yes.

This also suggests the hype for Memphis is dying down, which makes sense since he is still at Lyon (after 3 years) and not developed into the superstar some suspected he would become.
In the early stages of his Lyon move it was being bumped after every good games.
It was happening last season before his injury, when he was playing well for Holland, and I pointed to the fact that there was radio silence and then a good international game and he is the GOAT again
I don't need to take responsibility for anything. I watch threads and comment on what I see.

NotThatSoph

Guess you have never heard of hyperbole. I do enjoy making hyperbolic statements yes.

This also suggests the hype for Memphis is dying down, which makes sense since he is still at Lyon (after 3 years) and not developed into the superstar some suspected he would become.
In the early stages of his Lyon move it was being bumped after good games.
It was happening last season before his injury, when he was playing well for Holland, and I pointed to the fact that there was radio silence and then a good international game and he is the GOAT again
I don't need to take responsibility for anything. I watch threads and comment on what I see.
Of course I have heard of hyperbole, here's me using it: People critical of Lukaku haven't seen a single game since he left for Inter. They're bitter people motivated by hate, they're liars, and they would continue to belittle him even if he were as good as Ronaldo and Messi combined. I expect no one to take objection to this characterization, it is after all hyperbole.

You don't need to take responsibility, you can continue to see yourself as a victim unable to exert control over your actions, forced to criticize players because someone chose to post a video of two goals against Denmark. It's your life, you can do whatever you want.

Rossa

Flat track bully and a very difficult personality to like. For lack of better options at the moment I can stand him being in the team but the sooner we find our new striker and Lukaku fecks off, the better.

His last two important goals that I can recount are the ones in Croatia which qualified us for the World Cup in 2014 for the first time since 2002. Since then he hasn't scored against any opposition equal to / better than us (e.g. the likes of Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, ...). During two World Cups and one European Cup, he scored a grand total of 1 goal during all the KO stages.
Do Belgians also find him hard to like? With his goal tally, I would expect him to be a bit of a media darling for you?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

What I do think is Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are better players and I find it disrespectful that some of our own fans rate Lukaku above them. When Lukaku was playing here, Martial actually scored at a better rate than him in the PL and that's while being rotated and playing from the left. Yet we have morons saying we need a proper striker and never replaced Lukaku - a player who scored less frequently, who can't control a ball and who managed to get overweight while he was here.
They have played about 23 games less than Lukaku combined yet Lukaku has scored 29 more goals. So that really made your point didn't it!! :lol: they would have to score a goal each in the next ten games to get close to Lukakus poor record.
Why is it disrespectful that people rate Lukaku over Martial? It's disrespectful to belittle the goalscoring exploits of Lukaku would you not say? I mean Ings record of 48 goals in 113 games isn't bad, but doesn't better Lukakus record over a longer period.
Martial is a better player than Lukaku no doubt, but not a better goalscorer unfortunately.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Do Belgians also find him hard to like? With his goal tally, I would expect him to be a bit of a media darling for you?
Not sure, maybe in the beginning of his career he was treated a bit unfairly in the media but it's been okay the last few years, scoring goals will do that for you I guess. He's not a media darling like De Bruyne, Hazard and Kompany are but he gets fair treatment from them imo.

You are either for or against him is the feeling I get amongst my mates - some love him but there is also a decent chunk that really dislike him. To me he always comes across as a fake humble person in interviews/documentaries, this "started from the bottom now I'm here" attitude that he "made it against all odds" which is simply not true. I don't watch Inter games so can't comment on his development in Italy but I said right at the beginning on here that he'd be a failure at United and got labelled as bitter by Utd fans yet it was obvious that he just isn't cut out to be the main striker at a top club.

I think any half decent starting striker in this Belgium generation would've beaten the previous goal record for our national team. Batshuayi also regularly bangs in a few goals if he gets the opportunity to play. A striker like Kane or Lewandowski would suit us much, much better imo.

Stacks

Of course I have heard of hyperbole, here's me using it: People critical of Lukaku haven't seen a single game since he left for Inter. They're bitter people motivated by hate, they're liars, and they would continue to belittle him even if he were as good as Ronaldo and Messi combined. I expect no one to take objection to this characterization, it is after all hyperbole.

You don't need to take responsibility, you can continue to see yourself as a victim unable to exert control over your actions, forced to criticize players because someone chose to post a video of two goals against Denmark. It's your life, you can do whatever you want.
He has been watched him in England for what 8 years? Many (including myself) fully expected him to score loads for Inter. This isn't some revelation.
I wouldn't say these people hate Lukaku, they just don't think he is as good as HE thinks he is. Sure if he could somehow develop to be as good as R9 Ronaldo then one would have no choice to admit he is the GOAT. But he isn't.
I didn't actually join the convo because of his goals vs Denmark. Had nothing to do with that as I didn't care. I was dragged into the conversation by what I regarded a false claim by a poster which read; "A Lukaku in our side and our chances to win things would be higher" so I pointed to the fact Lukaku sides don't really win anything..........

Stacks

They have played about 23 games less than Lukaku combined yet Lukaku has scored 29 more goals. So that really made your point didn't it!! :lol: they would have to score a goal each in the next ten games to get close to Lukakus poor record.
Why is it disrespectful that people rate Lukaku over Martial? It's disrespectful to belittle the goalscoring exploits of Lukaku would you not say? I mean Ings record of 48 goals in 113 games isn't bad, but doesn't better Lukakus record over a longer period.
Martial is a better player than Lukaku no doubt, but not a better goalscorer unfortunately.
How I feel

Not sure, maybe in the beginning of his career he was treated a bit unfairly in the media but it's been okay the last few years, scoring goals will do that for you I guess. He's not a media darling like De Bruyne, Hazard and Kompany are but he gets fair treatment from them imo.

You are either for or against him is the feeling I get amongst my mates - some love him but there is also a decent chunk that really dislike him. To me he always comes across as a fake humble person in interviews/documentaries, this "started from the bottom now I'm here" attitude that he "made it against all odds" which is simply not true. I don't watch Inter games so can't comment on his development in Italy but I said right at the beginning on here that he'd be a failure at United and got labelled as bitter by Utd fans yet it was obvious that he just isn't cut out to be the main striker at a top club.

I think any half decent starting striker in this Belgium generation would've beaten the previous goal record for our national team. Batshuayi also regularly bangs in a few goals if he gets the opportunity to play. A striker like Kane or Lewandowski would suit us much, much better imo.
21 international goals in 32 games is amazing. Its better than Kane's England ratio

NotThatSoph

He has been watched him in England for what 8 years? Many (including myself) fully expected him to score loads for Inter. This isn't some revelation.
I wouldn't say these people hate Lukaku, they just don't think he is as good as HE thinks he is. Sure if he could somehow develop to be as good as R9 Ronaldo then one would have no choice to admit he is the GOAT. But he isn't.
I didn't actually join the convo because of his goals vs Denmark. Had nothing to do with that as I didn't care. I was dragged into the conversation by what I regarded a false claim by a poster which read; "A Lukaku in our side and our chances to win things would be higher" so I pointed to the fact Lukaku sides don't really win anything..........
It was hyperbole.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
21 international goals in 32 games is amazing. Its better than Kane's England ratio
I'm not trying to downplay Lukaku, he's obviously a good striker and you can't deny his goalscoring record, but I don't get people fawning over it either. He's playing with a bunch of crazy talented guys/creators/providers and his understudies usually do equally well when given the opportunity. He still remains largely clueless/anonymous in our build-up play which is where I feel our main striker should also be able to contribute a lot in this team.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB

Guess you weren't around when we were in the wilderness all those years putting out strikers like Ogunjimi, Vandenbergh, Sonck and Buffel. That goal against Croatia send us to our first tournament in 12 years and since then he went on to become our topscorer of all-time. Have some respect please, we might be back in the wilderness sooner than you think when Lukaku calls it a day.

Orestetes

I'm not trying to downplay Lukaku, he's obviously a good striker and you can't deny his goalscoring record, but I don't get people fawning over it either. He's playing with a bunch of crazy talented guys/creators/providers and his understudies usually do equally well when given the opportunity. He still remains largely clueless/anonymous in our build-up play which is where I feel our main striker should also be able to contribute a lot in this team.
The most important aspect of a striker is scoring goals though. Not every attacker starting in this Belgium team will bang in 21 goals in 32 games, as you're trying to make it seem. It's not just that he's surrounded by 'crazy talented guys'. Lukaku is a natural finisher, and that's a quality many strikers lack these days. I also seem to remember he confused the Japanese defence in the world cup, which lead to Chadli scoring the vital winner in stoppage time. How's that being 'clueless in build-up play'? I'll take Lukaku over any other striker Belgium has.

MalcolmTucker

This is their goal records in the PL when Lukaku was here:

Lukaku
18/19 - Man Utd - 22 (10) games - 12 goals - 178 minutes per goal
17/18 - Man Utd - 33 (1) games - 16 goals - 179 minutes per goal

Martial
18/19 - Man Utd - 18 (9) games - 10 goals - 168 minutes per goal
17/18 - Man Utd - 18 (12) games - 8 goals - 176 minutes per goal

Right, so even when Lukaku our undisputed number 9 and Martial was marginalised by Mourinho and played on the left - he still scored at a better rate than Lukaku.

Martial had his first season as a number 9 last season and had 17 league goals and 155 minutes per goal, better than Lukaku managed in both goals and ratio for us. So how is he even a better goalscorer than Martial?

Last edited:

MalcolmTucker

The most important aspect of a striker is scoring goals though. Not every attacker starting in this Belgium team will bang in 21 goals in 32 games, as you're trying to make it seem. It's not just that he's surrounded by 'crazy talented guys'. Lukaku is a natural finisher, and that's a quality many strikers lack these days. I also seem to remember he confused the Japanese defence in the world cup, which lead to Chadli scoring the vital winner in stoppage time. How's that being 'clueless in build-up play'? I'll take Lukaku over any other striker Belgium has.
That's actually Batshuayi's record, so it kinda suggests that they can :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Well, given that those are Batshuayi's stats who's the definition of your average midtable team striker, you kinda proved my point.

Eugenius

How many decent teams in here? I count 4 of his 57 goals as against teams that you might actually reasonably expect to make the quarter finals in a World Cup (England, Netherlands, Croatia, Portugal).

He's a good player who will score goals for fun against average teams. But he's limited and there's a reason he's never won any individual or team honours in the last 10 years despite one of the most consistent scoring records going.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Romelu_Lukaku

Stacks

That's Batshuayi's record not Lukaku's. He has 6 in 19 for palace. managed 3 goals in 23 for Valencia. 9 in 14 for Dortmund. How high do you rate Batshuayi compared to other strikers?

EDIT: just realised everyone has already bombarded you with this point. Please ignore my post

Champ

This is their goal records in the PL when Lukaku was here:

Lukaku
18/19 - Man Utd - 22 (10) games - 12 goals - 178 minutes per goal
17/18 - Man Utd - 33 (1) games - 16 goals - 179 minutes per goal

Martial
18/19 - Man Utd - 18 (9) games - 10 goals - 168 minutes per goal
17/18 - Man Utd - 18 (12) games - 8 goals - 176 minutes per goal

Right, so even when Lukaku our undisputed number 9 and Martial was marginalised by Mourinho and played on the left - he still scored at a better rate than Lukaku.

Martial had his first season as a number 9 last season and had 17 league goals and 155 minutes per goal, better than Lukaku managed in both goals and ratio for us. So how is he even a better goalscorer than Martial?
So Lukaku scored more than Martial both seasons, that usually points towards a more prolific goalscorer.

I see you've put the minutes per goal ratio, so based on that Martial would have to have played roughly another four games in order to score the same as Lukaku, which puts them on relatively even keel in 18/19,
Whereas 17/18 paints a much better picture of Lukaku, scoring at the same rate but with more time spent on the pitch.

So yeah, where are you going with this? How is this proving your point against mine?

Martial total goals for United 73 in 229 apps, Lukaku 42 in 96 apps, a bit of difference there, heavily weighted to Lukaku, I could then take just Premiership goals into account, 51 in 149 apps for Martial, 28 in 66 for Lukaku, again much better stats for Lukaku.

So, your selective stats not only do not prove your theory, they also highlight just how selective you have been in trying to prove this. Taking everything into equation, even by Lukakus relatively lower standards at United, he has still scored at a greater rate than Martial, and yes I know you are going to come back with 'but Martial played on the wing and Lukaku didn't'.

So lets take tis season for Martial, where he has been playing as a othordox number 9, grand total of premiership goals: 0, total goals: 2.

So Lukaku scored more than Martial both seasons, that usually points towards a more prolific goalscorer.

I see you've put the minutes per goal ratio, so based on that Martial would have to have played roughly another four games in order to score the same as Lukaku, which puts them on relatively even keel in 18/19,
Whereas 17/18 paints a much better picture of Lukaku, scoring at the same rate but with more time spent on the pitch.

So yeah, where are you going with this? How is this proving your point against mine?

Martial total goals for United 73 in 229 apps, Lukaku 42 in 96 apps, a bit of difference there, heavily weighted to Lukaku, I could then take just Premiership goals into account, 51 in 149 apps for Martial, 28 in 66 for Lukaku, again much better stats for Lukaku.

So, your selective stats not only do not prove your theory, they also highlight just how selective you have been in trying to prove this. Taking everything into equation, even by Lukakus relatively lower standards at United, he has still scored at a greater rate than Martial, and yes I know you are going to come back with 'but Martial played on the wing and Lukaku didn't'.

So lets take tis season for Martial, where he has been playing as a othordox number 9, grand total of premiership goals: 0, total goals: 2.
statistics, lies and statistics.

anyone can use selective stats to argue their case.

mad I’ve said before the player playing as the main striker for United the last 3 years scored 16, 12, then 17 league goals. The first two were Lukaku and last one was martial.

you also fall very foul of trying to compare like for like when Martial and Rashford have played out on the left, and most of their games weren’t played as no 9’s. Furthermore, you use all the appearances of Martial and Rashford as a stick to beat them with, when many of those games were played when they were teenagers.

all of Lukaku’s games for United were played after a £90m transfer, when he’s in the prime of his career.

You are comparing apples with kebabs.

MalcolmTucker

Yeah if you completely ignore the fact that Martial played a lot fewer minutes and actually scored at a better rate but ok, I'll use your logic then...

Martial total goals for United 73 in 229 apps, Lukaku 42 in 96 apps,
So Martial scored more than Lukaku, that usually points towards a more prolific goalscorer :lol:

Champ

statistics, lies and statistics.

anyone can use selective stats to argue their case.

mad I’ve said before the player playing as the main striker for United the last 3 years scored 16, 12, then 17 league goals. The first two were Lukaku and last one was martial.

you also fall very foul of trying to compare like for like when Martial and Rashford have played out on the left, and most of their games weren’t played as no 9’s. Furthermore, you use all the appearances of Martial and Rashford as a stick to beat them with, when many of those games were played when they were teenagers.

all of Lukaku’s games for United were played after a £90m transfer, when he’s in the prime of his career.

You are comparing apples with kebabs.
Tell that to the guy I was responding too then.
I've merely questioned exactly what you're highlighting.
Stats will provide evidence to back any point of view up.
The only point of view that all evidence points too is Lukaku has scored a bucket load of goals.

Tell that to the guy I was responding too then.
I've merely questioned exactly what you're highlighting.
Stats will provide evidence to back any point of view up.
The only point of view that all evidence points too is Lukaku has scored a bucket load of goals.
fair enough.:)