Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

Canagel

As memory serves many people wanted him to be a RW, that was an actual thing
I remember those days. The toxic Mourinho/Ole days.
But I think the RW shouts appeared in his second season because he was stinking the place upfront. It was only place he couldnt damage us. He was decent in the first season.

Prodigy24

So what happened with Inter / Juve? Thought he was odds on going there.
Inter ultras wanted him gone because he was flirting with Juve. Juve ultras didn't want him because he's got no loyalty.

Will be funny seeing him kiss the Roma badge in his first games before he turns to shit and Jose benches him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So, taking a pay cut is good for someone with a big ego? That is new.
If the alternative is not getting the game time he feels he's entitled too, yes.

Him taking a pay cut to be the main man at a team won't be remembered even this time next month let alone in years to come, if he spent an entire year not even deemed good enough to make the bench at Chelsea that would be remembered (and joked about) forever.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Our people really made selling him next year a lot easier.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

Getting the wages dropped for the remainder of the contract is huge.

and agreeing to wage drop for the rest of the contract shows playing, and where he plays, is a priority. He made a shambles of his relationships at the beginning of Summer, but I can at least give him that credit.

Howl

and agreeing to wage drop for the rest of the contract shows playing, and where he plays, is a priority. He made a shambles of his relationships at the beginning of Summer, but I can at least give him that credit.
I mean he absolutely had to. He was in a state of limbo as Chelsea don't want him. Inter don't want him. Juve didn't want him. Nobody wanted him. What else was he going to do? Sit on his butt for the next three years? I do suppose though, that he is such a shambles that you have to give him credit for doing something when he had no other option except to do it.

Howl

He's turning into a strange one. He spent 4 years at Everton, and since then it's stints of one or two years in a place. It would be good for him to settle at one club now and just make his mark there. The Italian league works for him and he has to make it work. Not sure where else he can go after this, unless Saudi Arabia decides they want him.

I thought he was onto a great thing at Inter and he should have made more of that. It's the perfect level for him.
He can't settle anywhere though because he's such an idiot he's burnt bridges literally at every club he's been. I'm sure if we went back he was doing some dumb shite at Anderlecht too when he moved to Chelsea the first time.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
problem with lukaku is people have seen what donkeys the likes nunez can occasionally do and then expect too much of him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He can't settle anywhere though because he's such an idiot he's burnt bridges literally at every club he's been. I'm sure if we went back he was doing some dumb shite at Anderlecht too when he moved to Chelsea the first time.
I don't think it's a coincidence his most settled spell was Everton.

He's a good top flight level goalscorer for a club who have European ambitions like that Everton did, it was a perfect fit for him. His problems came when he didn't have the awareness to realise that was his ceiling and both of us fell for his PR.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I mean he absolutely had to. He was in a state of limbo as Chelsea don't want him. Inter don't want him. Juve didn't want him. Nobody wanted him. What else was he going to do? Sit on his butt for the next three years? I do suppose though, that he is such a shambles that you have to give him credit for doing something when he had no other option except to do it.
Well, he DID have the option of making even more than his Chelsea contract in Saudi.

Or not playing and getting paid 325k per week to train lightly and use the hot tub.

Both of those were options.

He thinks he can be a competitive force for a significant team again. None of US feel that way, but he was willing to give up a lot of money to prove it.

To reiterate: he signed a deal that says, when he comes back to Chelsea after the loan, that he will be on the VERY lowered wages for the rest of his contract.

Howl

I don't think it's a coincidence his most settled spell was Everton.

He's a good top flight level goalscorer for a club who have European ambitions like that Everton did, it was a perfect fit for him. His problems came when he didn't have the awareness to realise that was his ceiling and both of us fell for his PR.
Yeah, you might be right about that.

Well, he DID have the option of making even more than his Chelsea contract in Saudi.

Or not playing and getting paid 325k per week to train lightly and use the hot tub.

Both of those were options.

He thinks he can be a competitive force for a significant team again. None of US feel that way, but he was willing to give up a lot of money to prove it.

To reiterate: he signed a deal that says, when he comes back to Chelsea after the loan, that he will be on the VERY lowered wages for the rest of his contract.
Was there an offer from the Saudi's for him? I don't recall seeing any, but I might have missed it. The sit on his butt for three years was never an option because as far as I understand he likes to play for Belgium no? If he isn't playing then I am sure he isn't going to get called up. Like you said, he also thinks he's a lot better than he is. I am not sure why you are reiterating something that I never disagreed with. I was merely stating that he didn't really have any other options other than to do the contract and loan to Roma. He clearly wants to play and one you factor in his book value for you guys (which means you have to have a transfer fee) as well as his wages and nobody was ever going to want him.

Red Star One

Good post. I also give him credit for this decision and for all my dislike for Lukaku it shows he still puts playing high quality football above money. Gotta respect that, even if he indeed is a cnut with a very large ego. Wishing him good luck and hoping he does well with Jose

SAFMUTD

Plenty of players had done it. Like Bale, Hazard, now Maguire with us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Is there anyone else reporting this aside from accounts like ‘Chelsea Dogers’? Maybe some typically reliable neutral sources?

Howl

Plenty of players had done it. Like Bale, Hazard, now Maguire with us.
Lukaku has never struck me as a player who would be willing to sit out the next three years though. That's part of the reason why he's burnt so many bridges is he's never been content to just stay at a club.

RC89

I remember those days. The toxic Mourinho/Ole days.
But I think the RW shouts appeared in his second season because he was stinking the place upfront. It was only place he couldnt damage us. He was decent in the first season.
And he appeared to be pretty decent at crossing the ball.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is there anyone else reporting this aside from accounts like ‘Chelsea Dogers’? Maybe some typically reliable neutral sources?
He’s literally quoting Matt Law in the tweet. Chelsea Dodgers is just an account that aggregates Chelsea news.

Ramos

Good on him. Could have went cashing in Saudi Arabia like so many others, but didn't.

Cloud7

Inter ultras wanted him gone because he was flirting with Juve. Juve ultras didn't want him because he's got no loyalty.

Will be funny seeing him kiss the Roma badge in his first games before he turns to shit and Jose benches him.
Did Jose ever actually bench him at United? Feels like he always played under him, and it was only when Ole come in that we started being sensible about how little he should actually be playing.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Did Jose ever actually bench him at United? Feels like he always played under him, and it was only when Ole come in that we started being sensible about how little he should actually be playing.
Pretty sure it was after Mourinho dropped him that he came out with that “grown ass man” stuff.

bringbackbebe

Gutted we didn't #Lukback. Roma have got themselves a gem - someone who can guarantee at least 30 clear misses a season.

flappyjay

Pretty sure it was after Mourinho dropped him that he came out with that “grown ass man” stuff.
The grown ass man stuff was a jab to Rashford and Martial not being happy about their minutes. As soon as he was the one on the bench he ran off.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The grown ass man stuff was a jab to Rashford and Martial not being happy about their minutes. As soon as he was the one on the bench he ran off.
Ah yes that’s correct.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Walked off.

The obese bastard was huffing and puffing 5 minutes into games.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Walked off.

The obese bastard was huffing and puffing 5 minutes into games.

This is really not necessary and only reflects badly on you.

They were talking about this transfer on the BBC Daily football podcast, and it's quite fascinating the way you can build a story by ignoring so many facts. Several on the pundits on there were calling him an elite striker, using stats as the sole basis of discussion (and pointing out he was a 1 in 2 striker). There were no discussion about his personality or his ego (just a quick mention of that interview after he'd returned to Chelsea), the fact he often fell out with people in the clubs he spends time at, no real analysis of his all round game and why it might not suit many teams, nothing. Not a note about his disappearing act in big moments.

The standard of punditry is overall so so bad.

redNATION

£75m (us), £70 (Inter), £98m (Chelsea), unbelievable how much money this guy has cost teams. Along with his wages must be among the highest outlays in football (before the Saudis came along this summer).

SirAF

Ageist
Nothing wrong with it factually. He was 105 kg which at his height is more or less obese level BMI wise. No reason for a professional footballer to carry that much weight.
BMI is not a good tool as it doesn't take muscle mass into account. But you know that.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

£75m (us), £70 (Inter), £98m (Chelsea), unbelievable how much money this guy has cost teams. Along with his wages must be among the highest outlays in football (before the Saudis came along this summer).
The second most expensive footballer in the history of the sport (combined fees). Was in first place, too, until Neymar fecked off to collect his petrodollars. One of the greatest con artists in the game.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
BMI is not a good tool as it doesn't take muscle mass into account. But you know that.
Of course. But endurance athletes have no business being obese BMI wise or else every footballer would be looking like Akinfenwa. Those extra 10-15 kg of muscle mass did Lukaku no good on the pitch.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
This means he is either taking a big wage cut or Chelsea are covering some of it, the part he is not giving up…
According to Matt Law he has not only accepted a pay cut for this season but for the whole remainder of his contract with Chelsea till 2026:

That was probably one of the club's requirements to even consider a loan deal. The whole summer the talk has always been about sorting a permanent move but Lukaku himself sabotaged the deal with Inter so he wasn't exactly in a position to dictate the terms now that the club opened the door for a loan deal but rather he just had to accept whatever was offered.

Him being on somewhat lower wages should make it a little easier to ship him out next year too.