Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree with bolded parts and especially with Fellaini thing. But with not bolded parts i don't. That things he did after he was wrote off by Ole. Ole himself admited that he wants different type of striker so it was not battle for first 11, it was battle to go or be substitute. And i respect that he chose to leave and play instead earning huge money for being substitute. Imagine that Jones, Lingard, Matic and some others do that?
What he did during the summer was not nice but don't forget that most of those things he did after we refused couple of bids. So he then decided to force a move. And i don't think he is lazy. Unfit yes, but lazy...i don't think so.
He said he wants to move to Serie A even when Jose was manager, then his agent talked about Serie A move before CL knock out game. Just after the season was over, he said Conte was best coach in the world and dream to play in Serie A. Before the move he gave hour long interview talking nonsense.

Also Martial was not preferred by Jose, he still fought for his place and was first choice.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Definitely at West Ham in 3 seasons or less

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just a brief one, watched his 'performance' yesterday against Dortmund...good lord. He's done.

Peaked and on the downhill, we got rid at a good time.

lsd

The Oracle
Just a brief one, watched his 'performance' yesterday against Dortmund...good lord. He's done.

Peaked and on the downhill, we got rid at a good time.

True but we should have tried to replace him as we are no better off without him

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He scored again. 5 goals in 10 games. Rashy Is on 4 goals in 12 games

Litch

True but we should have tried to replace him as we are no better off without him
Agree. It's strange that we let him go so late in the window that we ran out of time to replace him. That said, I think I do wonder whether Ole could only buy Harry once he sold Rom. Don't buy the statement of players not wanting to be here can leave either as Pogs couldn't have made it clearer but he's still here....

van Hooijdonk

He was definitely Inter best player tonight. Scored a goal, good link up play, good overall contribution. Even his first touch was good:)

Ed9

How many of Rashfords are pens? Same with Rom?
Both scored 2 pens. Otherwise in league and Europe:
Lukaku: 11 games - 870 minutes - 4 non pen goals
Rashford: 12 games - 915 minutes - 2 non pen goals

Lukaku's stats are bad but Rashy... no words.

lsd

The Oracle
Great goal tonight and Inter top of the league now . He has been delivering for them no doubt about it

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Lukaku will always score goals against poor sides no matter where he plays. His record against good teams is pathetic though.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Devilish when lulaku was here:
I kind of feel sorry for mino. Persuading united to spend 75m on lukaku is extraordinary. Beattie must feel so jealous
How can you have top top players like Pogba and Rashford and opt for donkeys like Fellaini and Lukaku instead?
We can and we should. I wonder if Lukaku will be happy to stay as a reserve though. I don't mind us selling him to Chelsea for the same fee we bought him and then add someone else who is willing to be a reserve. Maybe 50m + Morata could do.
I used to think so myself but its not the case. He's way more comfortable on the left then as a striker. No wonder why both Mou and Ole prefers him as a left sided forward. Rashford has great talent but he's not a natural scorer.

If I was the gaffer Id get rid of Sanchez, Mata and Lukaku then sign Lozano, Bergwijn and Joao Felix. As said they are young, they are extremely talented, they wouldn't mind the bench and on top of that they are extremely versatile which would give us options + make us unpredictable

With such a forward line we shouldn't be worrying too much about goals as each of those players is able to tap it in if needed. Also they'll be exchanging roles making it almost impossible for defenders to mark them out.
Devilish now:
He scored again. 5 goals in 10 games. Rashy Is on 4 goals in 12 games
Meanwhile Rashford couldn't score against Astana but hey he is hungry and local

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Getting a lack of flack from inter fans I believe for his general play?
Overall, he has been yes, but so did Icardi although for different reasons.

Overall, since the second half against Parma, he has been fairly decent. It was a tough midweek match at an away ground with a pretty aggressive fanbase. He had some good passes, and scored a great goal.

He definitely has a poor touch but in general he seems to be improving. I've noticed a trend in the last few matches where he's been very uninvolved/quite poor in the first half or 30 minutes but much improve later/after the break.

fergiesarmy1

Overall, he has been yes, but so did Icardi although for different reasons.

Overall, since the second half against Parma, he has been fairly decent. It was a tough midweek match at an away ground with a pretty aggressive fanbase. He had some good passes, and scored a great goal.

He definitely has a poor touch but in general he seems to be improving. I've noticed a trend in the last few matches where he's been very uninvolved/quite poor in the first half or 30 minutes but much improve later/after the break.
Must be that fitness work as he was usually dead by the end of a united game, makes me wonder about uniteds medical team as he wasn’t the only out of shape player.

Renegade

This thread will constantly be on the home page because Lukaku will score goals.

rubbish player outside the box. Quality goalscorer.

Josep Dowling

Devilish now:
I think the point is if you are going to get rid of Lukaku don’t rely on a player who has a worst goals to game ratio as your main striker.

I slated Lukaku a lot of here, I didn’t think he was good enough to play as a CF for Manchester United, much like Fellaini. But if you sell those players and don’t replace them with anything we would be better off just keeping with what we had.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Must be that fitness work as he was usually dead by the end of a united game, makes me wonder about uniteds medical team as he wasn’t the only out of shape player.
What has the medical team got to do with a player's own work ethic and attitude?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He's been absolutelly horrendous before he scored that goal. Also how badly Godin's declined :houllier:

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
He's been absolutelly horrendous before he scored that goal. Also how badly Godin's declined :houllier:
In general he seems to get into another gear after scoring - same story vs. Parma. Although most Inter players are crazy tired with the injuries.

In general Lukaku's play has left a lot to be desired for. But at the same time, his goal scoring record has been quite good for a first year in a new league. I know what you guys mean about him scoring in smaller games, but these are the games Inter has failed in over the years so it's big for us. The good thing is that he's scoring in the away games against small teams as those can be tough.

Reactions: jojojo

predator

Youth NITK
Who needs to watch Inter when you have this thread?

The fact is he wasnt good enough for us. He didn't succeed under the manager who was in charge when the club spent 75 million on him and he was shite when Ole took over. If we replaced him with a striker who is somewhat renowned for scoring (Mandzukic, Vardy etc....) then this thread would go unnoticed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Devilish now:

I don't rate Lukaku but as I said in a previous post. The former manager of Molde and Cardiff naively dismantled the team without making sure that the player's he's selling were replaced first. Also as posted in a post you quoted Rashy is not a natural scorer. In fact people who actually trained the guy (ie Mou) believe he's more comfortable as a Left inside forward. Which really makes me wonder here by selling Lukaku and bringing no one did Cardiff started the season without a striker? In that case he's more naive and a train wreck then I previously thought.

Patience is indeed important. If you have a look at the first team then we've got 4 players who are first team level ie DDG, Maguire, AWB and Pogba. We might say that we'll be able to sort the LW with the players we've currently got. Surely James, Martial or Rashy could do that. However that is all. We've got a couple of players that can be squad players (Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Shaw, McT) but that's all folks, the rest are shit

Under such circumstances its impossible for United to be sorted in one transfer window. Hell, we'll probably need half a decade to sort this problem. Considering that United will need ample money to sort this mess then we have to qualify to the CL as many times as possible either through top 4 (which is kind of impossible) or through the Europa league. Therefore the manager need to bring some positive results by working with what he's got even if the method he does that irks fans (defensive football etc)

I don't think Ole can do that.

A- He naively dismantled the team without making sure that the players he's selling were replaced first. The 'sell first only for the club to be unable to find adequate replacement' trick is as old as football itself. Ole fell right into it. Which is no surprise considering his lack of experience as manager

B- Ole's impact on the pitch was largely disappointing. He keeps rambling about fitness for nearly a year and yet most of the team is already knackered. Players are getting injured even during warming ups these days. Meanwhile his tactics are fount lacking while his obsession with pace is turning us into a one trick pony.

C- Ole's obsession with British players will mean that our entire budget will be blown on 2-3 players per year. That would take us ages to build the squad and by the time we sort one problem 2-3 new problems will crop up

To conclude yes, we need patience but we also need a manager whose got enough tactical awareness to excel despite having limited resources. A person who can tweak his philosophy around the players we've got and make this weak United punch above its weight. I can't see Ole doing that and the results kind of support this.

I also think that all this positive talk about his transfers is a bit OTT. First of all, players need time to be judged correctly. The likes of Bailly, Jones, Anderson, Shaw and Lukaku all had a very positive first season with us. Secondly Maguire was Mou's target (ie we've been scouting the lad for months prior to Ole's interest in him) while James was recommended by Giggs.
You see I am not the guy who is enjoying this season despite us not making more signings. Maybe you can explain if you're still enjoying this trashing.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/anyone-else-not-enjoying-this-because-we-didn’t-make-more-signings.449765/page-2#post-24552037

Last edited: