Romelu Lukaku | Mourinho Part III | Roma watch

starman

He wouldn't have been a bench player the whole time Martial was injured and who knows, stranger things have happened than a player earning his way back to a manager's plans but that's another debate.
Let's look at facts, without him, we've been scoring less goals, whether he'd be a starter or an option off the bench.
He left on August 8th, our club had this small club mentality of selling him then because the offer could disappear before securing a replacement.
Each time we score more than 1 goal in a game we celebrate it like a miracle
Take the Liverpool game. He would not have started, Ole would still have gone with Rashford and James. He would not have started yesterday either with all of the main front 3 available.
Newcastle, West ham and Southampton games he probably starts. Would he of made the difference in them, maybe, maybe not....
I will always though take the gamble of selling and getting 70m back for him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Take the Liverpool game. He would not have started, Ole would still have gone with Rashford and James. He would not have started yesterday either with all of the main front 3 available.
Newcastle, West ham and Southampton games he probably starts. Would he of made difference in them, maybe, maybe not....
I will always though take the gamble of selling him and getting 70m back for him.
It's working out wonderfully well so far isn't it :lol: ? Let's revisit this at the end of the season or maybe if Ole gets sacked during the season.

Tostao_80

The amount of vitriol against him always surprises me here. The only ones who are rewriting history are those suggesting he's not a good goalscorer, that's utter bullshit. He scored 17 goals in the league for a Tony Pulis coached West Brom side ffs!

I didn't have much problem with selling him but not signing a replacement was utterly mental, and its ultimately going to cost Ole his job. We can't punish shitty teams which was Lukakus' bread and butter, oh well!
Exactly. He scored 17 league goals in 20 starts for a bad West Brom side. Some posters on here are seriously deluded. They really believe that had he stayed at the club, the club wouldn't be scoring more goals. Even with Martial and/ or Rashford, how can having Lukaku on the pitch not be a better option than not? It's delusion, based on hatred of the player. Lukaku is the best goal scorer the club have had since Rooney.

Amir

A: How were United unprofessional towards him?

B: You think he's getting paid more at Inter than at United?
United were not unprofessional towards him, as far as I know. I was talking in general terms - players can be selfish and shitty, but so can clubs. Normally fans don't care when their clubs are acting badly, but do when it's one of their players. It's just the way the business goes, so I'm not bothered if the player or the club does it.

No, I don't think he's getting paid more at Inter and I'm sure money wasn't an issue for him. It was about playing football, which he wasn't going to do much under Solskjaer and therefore was desperate to go rather than waste a season with us.

UncleBob

For me, we see it as a fan and rightly so but as a employee I'm guessing it's so different. I won't mention the footballer but a friend of mine who played for a big club, once they were relegated wanted him off the wage bill. The club did everything from him training with the kids to suggest he was using recreational drugs. The club leaked what salary he was on, and the fans turned on him. Clearly not saying this is Roms situation, it isn't just we are always privileged to all the information. There are different sides to the argument and often clubs want to come out of these situation with 'clean hands'. He was also a Jose fav and it's never easy when the manager leaves who signed you. I have no idea but for me, I think for whatever reason Ole wanted him out from the get go and that's why for me it's not just about players wanting to leave, as if that was the case Pogs and probably DDG won't be here.....

I think in our day jobs, if the company doesn't want you, you should still be professional but often the only motivation is to want to leave. Whether he's good enough or not, he didn't come to Utd to play from the bench.
Isn't it slightly ironic that you initially accuse someone of talking like they're inside the dressing room, only to insert the notion that, perhaps Lukaku was driven out of the club. I mean, this whole "i'm not saying you're a dickhead", "i'm not saying _____" might have worked at the age of 10....

Personally, i find it unfair to suggest that Ole disliked Lukaku from the start and wanted him out. When Braut Haaland played under him at Molde, Ole praised him and said he reminded him of Lukaku. There's not really anything that suggests that if Lukaku buckled down and said he intented to stay and prove himself, the club would've told forced him out.

Given Lukakus performances up to the point of Mourinho getting sacked, 6 goals between 10th of august and 16th of dec and his overall play being shite at best, it's hardly a surprise that Ole decided to let someone else have a go up top. Between the 15th of september and 1st of dec he scored 0 goals, almost 3 months without getting a goal and it's not like he wasn't playing in that period either. He offered about feck all up top, no goals and at the same time his overall play was quite frankly rubbish, all the priceless videoes of Lukaku up top waiting for the ball to stop bouncing so he could control it, it was bad for team morale to have someone like that escaping criticism from the manager while everyone else in the team was open for public ridicule. Any manager coming into the club with a situation like that on his hands would've benched Lukaku.

So where's the man up and prove yourself when he finds himself in a similar situation that his teammates were in when Lukaku mouthed off that they were "grown ass men, deal with it". For some reason it went straight to "i'd like to play in Italy, sooner rather than later", which was repeated by his agent quite a few times. I honestly have no idea how he's managed to leave the club like that with so many fans still defending him.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why, are you from a parallel Universe?
He doesn’t need to be from a parallel universe to see that selling Lukaku and not replacing him was a huge fecking mistake on Ole/Woodward’s part.

starman

He doesn’t need to be from a parallel universe to see that selling Lukaku and not replacing him was a huge fecking mistake on Ole/Woodward’s part.
Jeez, read the whole conversation before you jump in with your comment....:rolleyes: He's arguing selling him altogether was a mistake

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The amount of vitriol against him always surprises me here. The only ones who are rewriting history are those suggesting he's not a good goalscorer, that's utter bullshit. He scored 17 goals in the league for a Tony Pulis coached West Brom side ffs!

I didn't have much problem with selling him but not signing a replacement was utterly mental, and its ultimately going to cost Ole his job. We can't punish shitty teams which was Lukakus' bread and butter, oh well!
Depends on what you call as ‘good goal scorer’. Is 15-16 league goals per season a good goal scorer?

And no, not signing his replacement won’t cost Ole his job, it’s his inability to set up the team and coach them as a unit. More than Lukaku replacement we needed good midfielder.

roonster09

Scout
United were not unprofessional towards him, as far as I know. I was talking in general terms - players can be selfish and shitty, but so can clubs. Normally fans don't care when their clubs are acting badly, but do when it's one of their players. It's just the way the business goes, so I'm not bothered if the player or the club does it.

No, I don't think he's getting paid more at Inter and I'm sure money wasn't an issue for him. It was about playing football, which he wasn't going to do much under Solskjaer and therefore was desperate to go rather than waste a season with us.
After CL group stage draw he was asked about Serie A move, he said he will in the future or something close to that. Then in March or April, his agent gave interview saying he wants to move. Even before all this Lukaku or his agent said he wants to play in as many league as possible. So him leaving isn’t a surprise, he just wanted a reason.

Btw he is paid more at Inter.

roonster09

Scout
Logic of the average CAF user. Let me guess, Rashford and Martial are better. Oh lawdy.
fecking hell, give it a rest. Posters can think Lukaku, Martial and Rashford are all shit.

Also it was nice to see you run away with tail between the legs when few stats were posted and now back with same nonsense. Typical Ronaldo Messi thread resident, which btw is lower than average caf user.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jeez, read the whole conversation before you jump in with your comment....:rolleyes: He's arguing selling him altogether was a mistake
Not really. @Garethw had it spot on. This ain't about Lukaku only, it is about not replacing him.
Going into the season without a replacement is worse for us than to have kept him. If a replacement was brought and him sold, I wouldn't have had a problem.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Lukaku would help us feck all. He has always been great at scoring goals and taking his chances. Especially when playing against minors in the dominating team.
However, we create 0 chances from open play. He would be useless in our actual set-up.
Good for him that he is back in a team fitting his style and on a great run.
I am with Ole here and think it was the absolutely right decision to sell him.
Our main problem is not so much converting than starting to create something and try to break teams down.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
B: You think he's getting paid more at Inter than at United?
Iirc he is, yes. Inter are paying him the equivalent of £230k/week, plus bonuses(another 3.5m per year)

Tostao_80

Overall they are better players yes, they may not score as many goals though. Neither will Firmno so I guess Lukakus better than him too, Oh lawdy.
Bad point. Firstly, Firmino is far better than Rashford and Martial. Secondly, he isnt needed to score Goals in his team. He plays with 2 team mates that score 20+ and 30+ goals a season. Man Utd need Rashford and Martial to score a lot, as they have no one else. And surprise surprise, theyre not up to the task. They have 8 goals combined in 17 league games, pathetic return.

roonster09

Scout
Bad point. Firstly, Firmino is far better than Rashford and Martial. Secondly, he isnt needed to score Goals in his team. He plays with 2 team mates that score 20+ and 30+ goals a season. Man Utd need Rashford and Martial to score a lot, as they have no one else. And surprise surprise, theyre not up to the task. They have 8 goals combined in 17 league games, pathetic return.
8 goals in 17 league games is a pathetic return, 2.1 games per goal.
28 goals in 66 league games means a fantastic goal scorer. 2.3 games per goal.

:lol:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Iirc he is, yes. Inter are paying him the equivalent of £230k/week, plus bonuses(another 3.5m per year)
Yeah and Sanchez is on 500k a week at United and Inter are paying him 250k then? The same Inter that basically hasn't been getting European money for 6 years? I don't buy it.

ROFLUTION

Good riddance. Now personally, I cant wait for his replacement. Surely we'll splash the same amount on a new replacement. Right? Right????

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah and Sanchez is on 500k a week at United and Inter are paying him 250k then? The same Inter that basically hasn't been getting European money for 6 years? I don't buy it.
Eh. It's not like they pay everyone on that level.

Their revenue for this season projects above €400m and they'll still close the books with a significant loss. Ownership is willing to bankroll them at this stage

Logic of the average CAF user. Let me guess, Rashford and Martial are better. Oh lawdy.
How many times did Lukuku score a brace against chelsea? Rashford has done it twice this season.

Mind you Lukuku did score his one and only goal against a top 6 side in Chelsea - in 23 attempts across 2 seasons. That’s pathetic.

Even if he could score a few goals, his effect on the dressing room outweighs any benefits.

Would you take someone like Ballotelli if he was banging in the goals - I wouldn’t.

Litch

Isn't it slightly ironic that you initially accuse someone of talking like they're inside the dressing room, only to insert the notion that, perhaps Lukaku was driven out of the club. I mean, this whole "i'm not saying you're a dickhead", "i'm not saying _____" might have worked at the age of 10....

Personally, i find it unfair to suggest that Ole disliked Lukaku from the start and wanted him out. When Braut Haaland played under him at Molde, Ole praised him and said he reminded him of Lukaku. There's not really anything that suggests that if Lukaku buckled down and said he intented to stay and prove himself, the club would've told forced him out.

Given Lukakus performances up to the point of Mourinho getting sacked, 6 goals between 10th of august and 16th of dec and his overall play being shite at best, it's hardly a surprise that Ole decided to let someone else have a go up top. Between the 15th of september and 1st of dec he scored 0 goals, almost 3 months without getting a goal and it's not like he wasn't playing in that period either. He offered about feck all up top, no goals and at the same time his overall play was quite frankly rubbish, all the priceless videoes of Lukaku up top waiting for the ball to stop bouncing so he could control it, it was bad for team morale to have someone like that escaping criticism from the manager while everyone else in the team was open for public ridicule. Any manager coming into the club with a situation like that on his hands would've benched Lukaku.

So where's the man up and prove yourself when he finds himself in a similar situation that his teammates were in when Lukaku mouthed off that they were "grown ass men, deal with it". For some reason it went straight to "i'd like to play in Italy, sooner rather than later", which was repeated by his agent quite a few times. I honestly have no idea how he's managed to leave the club like that with so many fans still defending him.
Yep, feck off and support Rom at Inter is the height of maturity, which is where we started. I offered a view which I own as if that's not the case, what's the point of having a forum? The rest of your view is based on an opinion which is fine but I don't agree with. Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, David Beckham, RVN, to name but a few left the club under disrepute yet they are seen as Legends to differing degrees. I'm guessing lots of things are said on training grounds and in changing rooms, and like I said, he's employed by the club so at any point can choose to leave if the conditions aren't for him. In the same way clubs attempt to sell players irrespective of whether they aren't happy or not.
Like I said, my view is based on football reasons as I consider him to be the best goal scorer in the club. It's criminal to let him go without replacing his goals as you are looking at 15 PL goals min when it's rare that those left can manage theirs plus replace Rom's.

AshRK

Selling Lukaku was a smart thing but not signing another forward was foolish.

UncleBob

Yep, feck off and support Rom at Inter is the height of maturity, which is where we started. I offered a view which I own as if that's not the case, what's the point of having a forum? The rest of your view is based on an opinion which is fine but I don't agree with. Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, David Beckham, RVN, to name but a few left the club under disrepute yet they are seen as Legends to differing degrees. I'm guessing lots of things are said on training grounds and in changing rooms, and like I said, he's employed by the club so at any point can choose to leave if the conditions aren't for him. In the same way clubs attempt to sell players irrespective of whether they aren't happy or not.
Like I said, my view is based on football reasons as I consider him to be the best goal scorer in the club. It's criminal to let him go without replacing his goals as you are looking at 15 PL goals min when it's rare that those left can manage theirs plus replace Rom's.
Have somewhat more to their United career than one good season followed by one shit season and going public about wanting to sod off to Italy, so it's a bit of a weird comparison

KeanoMagicHat

Selling Lukaku was a smart thing but not signing another forward was foolish.
This is it, really. Lukaku is a good player, hence why United bought him for £70m and were able to sell him for the same. He didn't exactly fit into United's system. But if you're getting that much money, then you have to buy a player of equivalent quality. Remember thinking during the summer that Dybala-Lukaku and Icardi-Lukaku swap deals were appealing. But I don't think many thought Lukaku out and no replacement was ever a good idea.

Tostao_80

How many times did Lukuku score a brace against chelsea? Rashford has done it twice this season.

Mind you Lukuku did score his one and only goal against a top 6 side in Chelsea - in 23 attempts across 2 seasons. That’s pathetic.

Even if he could score a few goals, his effect on the dressing room outweighs any benefits.

Would you take someone like Ballotelli if he was banging in the goals - I wouldn’t.
It's no wonder United can't score goals. You would rather a forward that doesn't score many goals, but can score a brace against Chelsea, rather than a far better goalscorer who scores less against the better sides? Whose goals would win more points? Rashford or Lukaku's?
Weird logic.
And what a weird comparison. How is someone like Ballotelli comparable to Lukaku? Does Lukaku have a reputation with his previous clubs and national team of misbehaving?

lsd

The Oracle
It's no wonder United can't score goals. You would rather a forward that doesn't score many goals, but can score a brace against Chelsea, rather than a far better goalscorer who scores less against the better sides? Whose goals would win more points? Rashford or Lukaku's?
Weird logic.
And what a weird comparison. How is someone like Ballotelli comparable to Lukaku? Does Lukaku have a reputation with his previous clubs and national team of misbehaving?

Its unreal i just don't understand the mentality of people who think goals against the top teams count more than goals against anyone else .

Its like they think its better to have a striker score 12 goals a season if 2 come against City over a player scoring 20 plus

mu4c_20le

It's no wonder United can't score goals. You would rather a forward that doesn't score many goals, but can score a brace against Chelsea, rather than a far better goalscorer who scores less against the better sides?
Lukaku only scored 2 more goals than Rashford last season.

Sp00ks11

God this is like the Welbeck thread all over again.. this will also die a death when people FINALLY realise Lukaku is also sh!te.

Sterling Archer

A slighty better Darren Bent

I wonder if Spurs fans pined this much over him when he was sold...
Brilliant comparison. Even back then, when Spurs were a laughing stock, they had the sense to not sell all their senior strikers and midfielders. As we're a laughing stock now, we've gone and done both.

432JuanMata

I don’t think he was good enough long term but this argument of not scoring against top teams is weird, he scores against bottom/mid table sides, yeah we scored a total of 1 goal combined against Newcastle,West Ham, Palace and Bournemouth could do with his flat track bullying right now.
Not replacing him is one of the dumbest things we have done in the last 6 years, which says a lot since that has been most things

Machine Elements

He could score 50 goals a season and I still wouldn't want to watch his awful first touch wasting another chance for my team and of course his infamous pointing fingers. One of the best things Ole has done since he became United manager was selling this glorified Heskey for £75 m.

Awful in the build up
Doesn't create anything for himself like a top ST should do (Van persie, Agüero, Suarez etc.)
Playing him means playing with 10 men if he doesn't score
Awful in the big games
Despite his clear weaknesses delusional view of himself
Awful attitude & professionalism (sulking in training, being overweight for a whole season, sharing club's data in twitter etc.)

Good feckin riddance.

Tostao_80

Lukaku easily outscored Rashford in his time at United, 42 in 96 overall games. Rashford a paltry 26 in 99. Are you really trying to compare the 2 as golascorers? Lukaku was one of the 5 youngest players to score 50 PL goals, and at only 26, already has 100 PL goals. Do you think Rashford will have 100 PL goals by 26?

Litch

Have somewhat more to their United career than one good season followed by one shit season and going public about wanting to sod off to Italy, so it's a bit of a weird comparison
So you can disrespect the club once you've had somewhat of a career here? Like I said, more interested on matters of football that the politics of football clubs and lfor me it was wrong to let him go without a replacement lined up. That's basic and certainly if that's the view of the club and Ole talks about freeing up Greenwoods pathway, then can't see how 10 mins at the end of the game is achieving anything. The whole thing has been badly managed and we'll probably have to spend the 80m anyway to get someone in that's unproven in the Prem. I got the Rom stuff if we were going to play on the front foot but counter attacking football.....

roonster09

Scout
Martial has better mins per goal and mins per goal + assist in 2017-18 and 2018-19 season than Lukaku. Rashford’s record is close too.

Last edited:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair his numbers since he come to england
W.brom
Everton
Man Utd
Thats fantastic his worst season in england was his last at united and he still hit 15 goals
Inter
9 in 13 games thus far.

SweetRightFoot

To be fair his numbers since he come to england
W.brom
Everton
Man Utd
Thats fantastic his worst season in england was his last at united and he still hit 15 goals
Inter
9 in 13 games thus far.
That's playing 40-50 games a season as an out and out frontman/poacher, good numbers though.

and now he's putting up even better numbers in Italy with a succession of tap ins and penalties :lol: