Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't know where people are getting the impression he'd be cheap. His buyback clause for City becomes active summer 2024 and is around £40m. If clubs want to get him out this summer he'll cost well north of £50m.
Probably with Southampton being the most likely to be relegated, still won't be cheap but should be able to get somewhat reasonable?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Probably a good pick up if Casemiro's gonna be suspended for 10 games every season.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I don’t really see him as a Casemiro alternative, more of a No 8.

What sticks out with Lavia is that he is so strong in physical battles already at a young age. At 50m it’s hard to not be interested. Could definitely become a Gundogan type of CM.

daba

I don’t really see him as a Casemiro alternative, more of a No 8.

What sticks out with Lavia is that he is so strong in physical battles already at a young age. At 50m it’s hard to not be interested. Could definitely become a Gundogan type of CM.
Strange. From the bits I’ve seen of him he seems far more like a 6 than an 8, and certainly in the future I see him becoming a top level 6.

Not saying he couldn’t play in Fred’s role next to Casemiro. He has very good work rate, tenacity and can carry the ball well, but I think his natural long-term position is similar to Casemiro.

That’s why I think he could be a very good signing for us, as I think he’s a 6 that can play as an 8, rather than the other way around like all of our other options.

One other positive he carries is that he qualifies as homegrown or at least will be in the next year.

Vapor trail

Disappointment if the club don't sign him. Almost no excuse to pass him up Southampton almost certain to go down, he won't be as much as Caicedo who's signed an extension and he will be brilliant around the first team to eventually phase out Casemiro in a few seasons time. No brainer Murtough needs to show his worth with this scouting restructuring.

Erik the Red

Disappointment if the club don't sign him. Almost no excuse to pass him up Southampton almost certain to go down, he won't be as much as Caicedo who's signed an extension and he will be brilliant around the first team to eventually phase out Casemiro in a few seasons time. No brainer Murtough needs to show his worth with this scouting restructuring.
Although Southampton are currently bottom, 5 points separate the bottom 9 teams, so I wouldn't say they are almost certain to go down, as things change around very quickly.

I think it is sensible to get a core of homegrown players who will be comfortable not being first choice but can expect to get 25-30 games a season. Similar to how we had Nicky Butt and Phil Neville, who were reliable squad players who could seamlessly step in and knew exactly what fergie wanted of them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why did City even let him go? They spent big on Kalvin Phillips when they had Lavia whose potential is way higher than Phillips's prime. Did he insist on leaving? It's the only thing I can think of that would justify outright selling him whilst also spending big money on Phillips.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why did City even let him go? They spent big on Kalvin Phillips when they had Lavia whose potential is way higher than Phillips's prime. Did he insist on leaving? It's the only thing I can think of that would justify outright selling him whilst also spending big money on Phillips.
Pep wouldn’t have given a kid serious game time in midfield in the PL.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pep wouldn’t have given a kid serious game time in midfield in the PL.
So send him on loan and watch him improve over a season or two. Letting a kid with that potential go for literal peanuts seems nuts to me.

El Zoido

So send him on loan and watch him improve over a season or two. Letting a kid with that potential go for literal peanuts seems nuts to me.
Literal peanuts? That’s one way to keep the concessions stand stocked, I suppose.

reddevilz007

Him and Sabitzer would be good signings this summer, while selling Mctominay and VDB.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
If I'm not mistaken his contract at City was running out in 2023, so if he was not signing it, this surely was the best possible outcome for City.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As above, it looks like Lavia was nearing the end of his contract and didn't want to re-sign if they weren't going to give him his shot. A lot of other clubs don't seem to have the facilities to stronghold youth players into new contracts + a merry-go-round of loans like Chelsea do.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looked a real talent against us. Might be a good addition if STH are in trouble - shouldn’t cost a fortune and his dribbling will add something. How’s his passing btw?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If I'm not mistaken his contract at City was running out in 2023, so if he was not signing it, this surely was the best possible outcome for City.
As above, it looks like Lavia was nearing the end of his contract and didn't want to re-sign if they weren't going to give him his shot. A lot of other clubs don't seem to have the facilities to stronghold youth players into new contracts + a merry-go-round of loans like Chelsea do.
Fair enough, it was one of the things I suspected in my original post.

jesperjaap

It’s not comparable, one is a solidified premier league starter that is excelling. The United players might not make it.
Hes a released youth player 2/3 thorugh a break out season, lets be realistic. I like him but he hasnt made it yet either

Scholsey2004

We need a quality 8 a lot more than spending big on a backup/long term replacement to Casemiro. The guys got 4 years left in him at least. We need an 8 who can dominate possession now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Both Casemiro and this guy can play as 8 and 6. I view Casemiro as identical to Roy Keane and Keane was originally box to box before joined united. This guy also I believe can cover no 8 because one of his aspect is successful take on means he’s not just defensive type of midfielder, he has more to offer. Signing this guy is no brainer, he won’t just be backup of Casemiro but can also play next to Casemiro.

bosnian_red

Nice to see we're interested in him!
I always wonder with the buyback, what's the point for just 1 team. If some other team also matches that price, what are they gonna say no? That's the price they're getting anyway. If it's all upfront of course.

amolbhatia50k

Oh I didn’t know about the buyout clause. Well that sucks

Rolaholic

Terrific pass to set up the goal just now.

Would kill to have him be Casemiro's understudy

Abraxas

That's quite an amazing situation, really. Phillips is average at best.

Member 125398

If we could find a player callet Clit to partner him in MF that would be amazing, difficult though.

daba

Fingers crossed this guy ain’t talking shit. Precisely the profile of signing we need to be making to advance the squad and a perfect rotation option and long-term replacement for both Casemiro and Fred’s roles in the squad.

amolbhatia50k

Southampton are in a pretty bad state so getting him on the cheap would allow us more freedom in other areas and we need to upgrade our squad options anyway

bosnian_red

Let's go. Bonus with Lavia is I can see him both developing into a class DM but also being able to partner Casemiro while he develops and learns from him. Would give us the option of playing:
Casemiro - Eriksen
Casemiro Fred
Casemiro - Lavia
Lavia - Fred
Lavia - Eriksen
So we wouldn't be desperately reliant on anyone, which is the goal... Need to be able to cover players properly. Of course Casemiro still key, but at least we would be able to cover him with a proper DM, and someone with huge potential with the ideal player to learn from.