Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

SAF is the GOAT

MCFC might have a buy-back clause — but that only means that Sunderland has to accept the offer, right?

Unless MCFC can ensure playing time for him, you never know if he would sign there.
That buy-back clause is relevant for 2024

croadyman

MCFC might have a buy-back clause — but that only means that Sunderland has to accept the offer, right?

Unless MCFC can ensure playing time for him, you never know if he would sign there.
Yeah wouldn't be surprised if they have

Bondi77

I am sure Sunderland would love a few million and it would soften the blow if they miss the play-offs :lol: :lol: :houllier:

Baxquux

Still most strongly linked with Chelsea - not sure why he'd go to a club with even more uncertainty surrounding its leadership and general direction than United currently face, except if there are genuinely no CL offers on the table...

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Still most strongly linked with Chelsea - not sure why he'd go to a club with even more uncertainty surrounding its leadership and general direction than United currently face, except if there are genuinely no CL offers on the table...
I think a lot of that is paper talk, but this lad certainly seems to be the real deal, and his passing seems pretty good.
I'm not sure if signing him would put a block in the way of Mainoo, but then again if Mainoo is good enough, he will find a place somewhere in the team.

Silas

Seems like a no-brainer.
I think a lot of that is paper talk, but this lad certainly seems to be the real deal, and his passing seems pretty good.
I'm not sure if signing him would put a block in the way of Mainoo, but then again if Mainoo is good enough, he will find a place somewhere in the team.
Mainoo seems more of the profile of someone that’d play alongside him.

davidmichael

From what I’ve seen of Mainoo he’s very much the kind of player you’d play alongside Lavia much like Mejbri also is, I do think it’d be either Caicedo OR Lavia though with Mainoo and Mejbri both coming through although I think Caicedo could partner Casemiro as well we replace Casemiro.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
From what I’ve seen of Mainoo he’s very much the kind of player you’d play alongside Lavia much like Mejbri also is, I do think it’d be either Caicedo OR Lavia though with Mainoo and Mejbri both coming through although I think Caicedo could partner Casemiro as well we replace Casemiro.
Mainoo definitely seems one who could partner Lavia... But he's so young, who knows what level he will reach. Can't plan for a guy who just turned 18, if he has the talent he will be fine.

Hannibal on the other hand, my guess is we sell him. Don't think he's ever shown anything impressive really, and it's not like he's shown much on loan this season, unlike Amad who has really stood out and looks excellent.

davidmichael

Mainoo definitely seems one who could partner Lavia... But he's so young, who knows what level he will reach. Can't plan for a guy who just turned 18, if he has the talent he will be fine.

Hannibal on the other hand, my guess is we sell him. Don't think he's ever shown anything impressive really, and it's not like he's shown much on loan this season, unlike Amad who has really stood out and looks excellent.
I’m thinking 3-4 years from now hypothetically with Mainoo and Lavia but that they’d compliment rach other with the way both play, I think Mejbri would have been a decent back up to Eriksen this season but after a year of playing in the much more physical Championship I think he’d do well for us next year playing alongside better players.

telstar96

I see a few people saying Lavia and Mainoo could partner each other. It really depends on the rest of the midfield in my opinion.

Currently Lavia is playing in a double pivot with JWP. Assuming United line up a 4-3-3, I could see long term Lavia and Mainoo (if he improved his attacking game) being the CMs with a DM behind them. However, I couldn't see both of them playing in a double pivot, they would get into each others way. At the moment, Lavia has some holes in his game that would prevent him doing well as a sole CDM. So can't see him coming into United's team and being able to fulfil that role immediately. He would work well in a double pivot with Casemiro though, that would be a very interesting partnership to see.

Long term, with the right coaching, there's definitely scope for him to become a sole CDM. He needs to work on his aerial ability and refine his positioning, which may take a few seasons. But this is even more reason why, if United really want him, they should get him right now. Gives us more time to coach him. Also gives him a great opportunity to play alongside and learn from Casemiro in the defensive side of the game.

Oranges038

Eventually, that will probably happen, hopefully he gets a decent chance first.

He's done OK on his loan in what's been a pretty poor team. I've watched a few of their games. He's not really a ball player, that could be an issue for him within ETH's plans. He seems more of ball carrier through the midfield and the tackling and defensive side of his game isn't great.

Could he actually be much worse than Fred or McT as backup for next season? I don't really think so.

zaafi

I see a few people saying Lavia and Mainoo could partner each other. It really depends on the rest of the midfield in my opinion.

Currently Lavia is playing in a double pivot with JWP. Assuming United line up a 4-3-3, I could see long term Lavia and Mainoo (if he improved his attacking game) being the CMs with a DM behind them. However, I couldn't see both of them playing in a double pivot, they would get into each others way. At the moment, Lavia has some holes in his game that would prevent him doing well as a sole CDM. So can't see him coming into United's team and being able to fulfil that role immediately. He would work well in a double pivot with Casemiro though, that would be a very interesting partnership to see.

Long term, with the right coaching, there's definitely scope for him to become a sole CDM. He needs to work on his aerial ability and refine his positioning, which may take a few seasons. But this is even more reason why, if United really want him, they should get him right now. Gives us more time to coach him. Also gives him a great opportunity to play alongside and learn from Casemiro in the defensive side of the game.
He's so far away from the profile we need to partner Casemiro. You don't go from targeting Frenkie de Jong to Romeo Lavia in the space of a season. They're completely different players and Lavia isn't particularly good at progressing the play or carrying the ball. He has enormous potential, but he's what we should rotate Casemiro with, not partner with him.

telstar96

He's so far away from the profile we need to partner Casemiro. You don't go from targeting Frenkie de Jong to Romeo Lavia in the space of a season. They're completely different players and Lavia isn't particularly good at progressing the play or carrying the ball. He has enormous potential, but he's what we should rotate Casemiro with, not partner with him.
Yes he's not Frenkie de Jong, but you'd be hard pressed to find many available options who fall into that mould. Lavia is incredibly press resistant and very tidy with his passing. He may not engage in many dribbles but from watching him you can see he's got all the tools to be an elite ball carrier. Incredible balance, composure, sharpness of turn at only 19. As he gets older and more confident, his ball carrying game should grow exponentially. You're also underselling Casemiro's progressive passing from midfield and I think combined with skills Lavia has, they would dovetail very nicely. Also, it would allow us to move Eriksen further forward into the final third, which is the best part of the pitch for him or be a backup for Bruno, allowing us to rotate more. Even if you think Lavia cannot partner Casemiro, I'd still prefer him over the likes of Fred and McTominay.

Also, Lavia is not ready to play as a sole CDM. He's got way too many holes defensively to fulfil that role and he may not even in future. What he needs is the right coaching and time to eventually develop into becoming an elite single pivot. If we threw him in there now, he'd sink in my opinion.

croadyman

Yes he's not Frenkie de Jong, but you'd be hard pressed to find many available options who fall into that mould. Lavia is incredibly press resistant and very tidy with his passing. He may not engage in many dribbles but from watching him you can see he's got all the tools to be an elite ball carrier. Incredible balance, composure, sharpness of turn at only 19. As he gets older and more confident, his ball carrying game should grow exponentially. You're also underselling Casemiro's progressive passing from midfield and I think combined with skills Lavia has, they would dovetail very nicely. Also, it would allow us to move Eriksen further forward into the final third, which is the best part of the pitch for him or be a backup for Bruno, allowing us to rotate more. Even if you think Lavia cannot partner Casemiro, I'd still prefer him over the likes of Fred and McTominay.

Also, Lavia is not ready to play as a sole CDM. He's got way too many holes defensively to fulfil that role and he may not even in future. What he needs is the right coaching and time to eventually develop into becoming an elite single pivot. If we threw him in there now, he'd sink in my opinion.
Yeah definitely needs coaching in the defensive side of the game,like you say getting him now will give us a chance to do that

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great job on the analysis @Raees

I didn’t that he was a) such a good long passer and b)a really weak crosser. But regardless, given STHs plight I’d hate for us to miss out on a young talent with the quick feet and passing range that Lavia - both traits that would help our pass resistance and ability to break down defences.

ShinjiNinja26

I think after a striker we’ll need to be looking at astute signings like this, seems we don’t have the budget to be splashing serious cash on multiple positions.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This lad and a striker would be my non negotiables for this summer. I'm super convinced by him and at his age, he has an amazing profile, experience and scope for development.

Southampton were interested in Williams before as well, maybe can give him to them on the cheap.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Keeper, this lad, and striker is my top 3. He is press resistant and we need more of that.

croadyman

This lad and a striker would be my non negotiables for this summer. I'm super convinced by him and at his age, he has an amazing profile, experience and scope for development.

Southampton were interested in Williams before as well, maybe can give him to them on the cheap.
Need to get deal in place for when they go down

Craig Ward

Not getting the hype with this kid.

I'm no Southampton fan and not seen them loads, but lavia on the times i've caught him has not stood out one bit. No one has in that team. They're rooted to the bottom of the table and we're on about nabbing this guy like he's prime messi the way he's being bigged up.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

I'm no Southampton fan and not seen them loads, but lavia on the times i've caught him has not stood out one bit. No one has in that team. They're rooted to the bottom of the table and we're on about nabbing this guy like he's prime messi the way he's being bigged up.
Agree completely, don't see what's special.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Really? Not even when we played them?

croadyman

Who should we get then?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

How? He is very obviously a quality young midfielder. He is smart with positioning, which is a key quality. He is press resistant. He is intelligent on the ball, composed, makes good decisions. He just turned 19 years old FFS and is playing like a 25 year old pro in the prem. Physically has excellent attributes too. He is exactly the profile that forward thinking top teams would fight to bring in.

Seriously, "not seeing the hype" with someone like Lavia is like just not knowing what to look for when judging deeper midfielders and only looking at goals or assists (which tbh I don't give a feck about when looking at my deep midfielder). It's like when Garner got hype because he'd score 4 screamers in the championship... That stuff isn't important for actually judging how he does in his role.

NWRed

We signed Roy Keane from Forest after they went down. Being part of a team at the bottom of the league doesn't mean they're a bad player.

croadyman

We signed Roy Keane from Forest after they went down. Being part of a team at the bottom of the league doesn't mean they're a bad player.
Precisely this would be a very shrewd deal,wonder what they would want when relegated

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree completely, don't see what's special.
I don’t know about special. But he’s essentially a fairly athletic young CM with quick feet and a good range of passing. Given our midfield woes, getting someone of that profile in would be excellent and something we shouldn’t pass up on. For me we need a few additions in midfield so Lavia for a reasonable fee would be great and would leave funds for other signings too.

But I’m not sure we are seriously in for him as I’d have expected more noise. Our ownership issues will probably screw us over this summer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

We have literally no one like him at the club, bar Casemiro, in terms of defensive midfielders. Even in a shite team, he puts up good defensive and possession numbers and he has shown glimpses of progressing the
ball through really well. He's 19 with a full season in the prem.

So - he's prem proven, young, in a position we need, has potential and will likely be available for a decent price.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Gives me Ndidi or Gueye vibes a bit. I don’t think he’ll show enough on the ball for the top level

jeepers

Did City insert one of those little bitch “can’t sign for United” clauses when they sold him to Southampton?

davidmichael

Did City insert one of those little bitch “can’t sign for United” clauses when they sold him to Southampton?
From everything I’ve seen they’ve got an option on him to match a bid for him or be notified of any bids on him but I think it was Diaz that had the “can’t sign for United” thing put in his contract wasn’t it ?

strandty

From everything I’ve seen they’ve got an option on him to match a bid for him or be notified of any bids on him but I think it was Diaz that had the “can’t sign for United” thing put in his contract wasn’t it ?
It was an increased fee selling to United if I remember rightly? And their clause on him doesn't activate until the summer of 2024.

Last edited: