Romeo Lavia | Chelsea bound?

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea given up on Caicedo? Or going for both?
If we keep hearing about Tyler Adams rumours alongside Lavia, then I'd fear we've given up on Caicedo.

Any scenario without Caicedo is pretty disastrous to be honest. Would be left with a bunch of kids in midfield and Enzo.

Chief123

Depends who they get instead. In the past FSG eventually cough up money so let's hope this doesn't end up with them getting someone even better
They certainly ain’t getting Caicedo for
£100m if they can’t muster £50m for Lavia.

Chief123

This is so funny. Nice move Celski.
I just hope that Pool doesn't go for Caicedo now. Which would be logical to do. Or Amrabat.
Amrabat has reportedly already turned them down as he favours a move to utd. I’m pretty sure all parties are in agreement the move to utd will happen.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Depends who they get instead. In the past FSG eventually cough up money so let's hope this doesn't end up with them getting someone even better
They will go for Caicedo. Klopp will cry to owners how he can't go without dmc and owners will bring him Caicedo.

Hm.....McT is for sale :D .

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
The only reason I could think of for us going for 2 midfielders is that Poch is changing formation due to the long term injury of Nkunku. Rather than the 4-2-3-1 that we had been deploying in preseason we may now play 4-3-3. Two DM’s (Caicedo + Lavia/Adams?) with Enzo slightly higher up.

It just seems extremely unlikely or borderline impossible to believe that we’d spend £150m on BOTH Caicedo and Lavia. Especially when we still need another reliable goal scorer this window!

lysglimt

Scout
I have followed english football extremely tight for about 30 years, and I can probably name the majority of Sheffield Uniteds squad from the 92/93 season - but after watching Chelsea getting involved in yet another transfer I can honestly say - I would struggle to name half of their squad at this moment. I have completely lost track of what they are doing at that club, it's a joke

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I have followed english football extremely tight for about 30 years, and I can probably name the majority of Sheffield Uniteds squad from the 92/93 season - but after watching Chelsea getting involved in yet another transfer I can honestly say - I would struggle to name half of their squad at this moment. I have completely lost track of what they are doing at that club, it's a joke
:D

Not how we used to act under Woodward 100% but to some degree that's what we used to do.
Its Chelsea turn now to go into the wilderness.

the_cliff

:D

Not how we used to act under Woodward 100% but to some degree that's what we used to do.
Its Chelsea turn now to go into the wilderness.
No. This is completely different. They've gone through 2 first 11s in 2 seasons. It's not normal and can't remember a time in my life that a top flight team has gone through such changes within a season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As a fan of Chelsea, and having watched most of the preseason games, I can kinda see where this is going and I’m excited to watch the team next season.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Yea, it definitely isn't normal. That is one reason they hired Pochettino, to bring normalcy to that club. If players think they are easily disposable it will have a major damage to squad morale and, no one would want to play for chelsea. Beside making Chelsea competitive again, Pochettino was hired to make the atmosphere better at Chelsea, which so far he is doing a fantastic job. Now with Pochettino there, Chelsea won't turn into a circus club like psg as he is at the fore front of bringing the right atmosphere to that club.

Back on thread topic, having both lavia and Caceido would be transformative for chelsea midfield. It gives Pochettino the tactical flexible to play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, which he did in preseason and also at psg. It would make sense for chelsea to splash £150m on these two players especially when you look at the state of their current midfield. I don't even believe it will happen the progress of Santos or Ugochukwu because there is a potential that after this season Gallagher could be sold and chelsea could play without an natural 10 as I highlighted before in the colwill thread.

Castia

Chelsea in for him as well now. I feel we’re missing out here, would be a great player to come in and rotate with Casemiro and then become his long term successor.

We’ve all seen the price of midfielders 100m seems to be the basic rate for a decent one, this guy will be worth 100m in a summer or 2 without a doubt.

DM position locked down for the next 10 years whoever gets Lavia

croadyman

Chelsea in for him as well now. I feel we’re missing out here, would be a great player to come in and rotate with Casemiro and then become his long term successor.

We’ve all seen the price of midfielders 100m seems to be the basic rate for a decent one, this guy will be worth 100m in a summer or 2 without a doubt.

DM position locked down for the next 10 years whoever gets Lavia
Reckon we would have matched their bid had we been able to sell McTominay earlier

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No. This is completely different. They've gone through 2 first 11s in 2 seasons. It's not normal and can't remember a time in my life that a top flight team has gone through such changes within a season.
It's for the same reason boehly fired tuchel. Any success he wants to be with a team of his making not his predecessor.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
As a fan of Chelsea, and having watched most of the preseason games, I can kinda see where this is going and I’m excited to watch the team next season.
Well pochettino need four more players for first team he will get it by the looks of it. Two central midfielders caicedo/lavia/adams one striker most probably vlahovic/wahi one no.10/right winger from olise/cherki/kudus.

Indeed exciting to see chelsea play with swag. If above transfers done I won't want nothing but title challenge.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We are a joke of a club these days. Without Klopp we'd be nowhere.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You have signed Mac Allister and the Hungary guy
I’m not sure why they prioritised signing midfielders who are more suited to contributing to the attack or midfield to attack phase. The holding midfielder / DM should have been the top priority. As of now their defence will be their Achilles heel again imo.

Not that Lavia is special defensively. Seems to have a lot of improvement to do in that regard. I was in the Lavia camp but Mainoo being given faith makes me care a bit less - he look a wonderful talent.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure why they prioritised signing midfielders who are more suited to contributing to the attack or midfield to attack phase. The holding midfielder / DM should have been the top priority. As of now their defence will be their Achilles heel again imo.

Not that Lavia is special defensively. Seems to have a lot of improvement to do in that regard. I was in the Lavia camp but Mainoo being given faith makes me care a bit less - he look a wonderful talent.
I think we were expecting to go into the season with both Fabinho and Henderson in the squad. Neither were expected departures and its left the club scrambling around for a replacement DM, whilst making sure not to break FSG’s budget.

We’ll be left behind in this league if we don’t start investing properly. We should be backing Klopp whilst we have him.

Since we won the league we’ve signed two CB’s (Konate and that young kid who never played for us). City on the other hand have spent over 200 million iirc on that position and continued to refresh the squad.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think we were expecting to go into the season with both Fabinho and Henderson in the squad. Neither were expected departures and its left the club scrambling around for a replacement DM, whilst making sure not to break FSG’s budget.

We’ll be left behind in this league if we don’t start investing properly. We should be backing Klopp whilst we have him.

Since we won the league we’ve signed two CB’s (Konate and that young kid who never played for us). City on the other hand have spent over 200 million iirc on that position and continued to refresh the squad.
The tragedy of this league is that a club that is not only cheating, but doing so backed by infinite money, is setting an artificial bar, which everyone else is measuring themselves by and trying to meet or even overcome.

You're putting it on your owners that they aren't conjuring similar funds to compete, but you must know it's wholly unrealistic and anyone finishing ahead of City would do so via a perfect storm, unless state-backed themselves?

lysglimt

Scout
Of course you are - it's not often you have no clue what players will start on the saturday. You will get the line-up and think to yourself: "Is he playing for us ? I didn't know that" :)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Chelsea, City and now Newcastle.

That's where most if the best young players will be from now on. Most of them will never even play a first team game for them. But they are pure ffp profit when sold and it won't be long before the young players are being sold for inflated prices to the Saudi league as a type of money laundering exercise.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The tragedy of this league is that a club that is not only cheating, but doing so backed by infinite money, is setting an artificial bar, which everyone else is measuring themselves by and trying to meet or even overcome.

You're putting it on your owners that they aren't conjuring similar funds to compete, but you must know it's wholly unrealistic and anyone finishing ahead of City would do so via a perfect storm, unless state-backed themselves?
I wouldn't expect FSG to be able to spend similar to City, but since 2017, we've reached 3 cl finals winning one, won the league, the FA Cup and the Carabao Cup - and yet in the last 5 years, we've got a similar net spend to Wolves.

I mean, Spurs have outspent us almost 3 to 1. Villa twice as much.

red.knight

If Lavia goes to Chelsea, I fully expect Liverpool to go over their limits and sign Caicedo for £100m. Both deals they’ve done this summer, they’ve paid the full release clause.

Crimson King

I wouldn't expect FSG to be able to spend similar to City, but since 2017, we've reached 3 cl finals winning one, won the league, the FA Cup and the Carabao Cup - and yet in the last 5 years, we've got a similar net spend to Wolves.

I mean, Spurs have outspent us almost 3 to 1. Villa twice as much.
Your mistake is looking at net spend.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
There's a gigantic middle ground between what City does and what FSG does though. No one expects us to financially compete with them but at least they should recognize we have a top 5 manager in the world and they should be reaping the rewards by *properly* investing, not doing anything crazy but just give him some tools to work with.

If you lose 2 DMs in a week, their first response should've been to add a mere £5m to the Lavia deal, get it over the line AND be in the market for another defensive midfield option. Not feck about and lose out on him over some pocket change.

red.knight

If they're being cheap over Lavia, it's pretty illogical to think they'll then slap down 100m for Caicedo?
Arsenal are said to be paying a £3m loan fee for David Raya with the option to make the deal permanent for £27 million next season. The deal is reportedly structured this way due to FFP concern. Maybe, Liverpool also uses the same strategy to sign Caicedo? Just my thought but I can see Liverpool signing another midfielder or two before the window shuts.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
It just seems extremely unlikely or borderline impossible to believe that we’d spend £150m on BOTH Caicedo and Lavia. Especially when we still need another reliable goal scorer this window!
Shocking after spending how much in the last 12 months that you're still in that position.

And as unlikely as it seems, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it happened.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Shocking after spending how much in the last 12 months that you're still in that position.

And as unlikely as it seems, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it happened.
We’re in this position because our marquee attacking signing has just got injured for 4-5 months.