Romero, Jones and Rojo left out of the Champions League squad

Idxomer

I think Jones played in every game under Ole before he got his contract extension and he was in his last year. At that point, he appeared to be one in the manager's plans. And from the last few years, we learned that when a player has any decent run of games, the club's obligated to try keeping him as long as possible.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think Jones played in every game under Ole before he got his contract extension and he was in his last year. At that point, he appeared to be one in the manager's plans. And from the last few years, we learned that when a player has any decent run of games, the club's obligated to try keeping him at the club as long as possible.
It's too bad the club haven't learned that many of our players are magically able to improve their fitness and performance levels when it's time for a new contract and then fall off the deep end once they are renewed.

Last edited:

Zlatans Knee

Phil Jones is the most pathetic player we own. At least Smalling pushed for a loan performed and got his move.

Jones clearly is delighted bro sit around doing nothing and getting paid.
It seems difficult to push for a loan when you are injured. I think ‘the most pathetic player we own’ is a bit strong. Unlucky perhaps, it is not as if this is how he planned his career at United going.

Wheato

Yea thats not gonna fly but this thread aint for that discussion.
I doubt that Ole had anything to do with Jones getting a five year contract. This is all about Ed having a lack of football knowledge and thinking that we could get a decent resale value for him. The best thing we could get from this whole sorry affair is letting him go for free with a small pay off. Don't see the point in having him around stinking out the place and earning more money than many of the squad. I know he has a 150,000 reasons to stay, but when he looks at himself in the mirror, is he proud of himself and what he has not achieved in footballing terms. Or does he have the spine to go and prove himself somewhere else.

Last edited:

Crustanoid

Surprised we've included Grant at the expense of Romero. Surely the latter deserves to be in the squad until January at least.

Unless we're planning on selling/loaning him to a Championship side, which is very much beneath him tbh.
What does Grant even do? Does he ever play football? Why don’t we just give the third spot to a regular U23 GK who at least is match sharp?

Has to be up there with one of our most pointless ever signings

What does Grant even do? Does he ever play football? Why don’t we just give the third spot to a regular U23 GK who at least is match sharp?

That’s what a third choice keeper is. He’s an experienced player, who knows he’s got 1/200 chance of playing. That’s why you have guys like Grant, or Hart or Green at Chelsea, who are at the end of their careers.

You need to have three keepers, and you don’t want one of your youngsters in that role, as they will never play.

Not a pointless signing at all, he’s insurance - it’s just a lot of people can’t seem to understand the role of a 3rd choice keeper.

laughtersassassin

It seems difficult to push for a loan when you are injured. I think ‘the most pathetic player we own’ is a bit strong. Unlucky perhaps, it is not as if this is how he planned his career at United going.
You don't think there was a few times he could have secured a loan? I don't believe that for one second. If he wanted to be loaned out one of these years he would have been imo

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That’s what a third choice keeper is. He’s an experienced player, who knows he’s got 1/200 chance of playing. That’s why you have guys like Grant, or Hart or Green at Chelsea, who are at the end of their careers.

You need to have three keepers, and you don’t want one of your youngsters in that role, as they will never play.

Not a pointless signing at all, he’s insurance - it’s just a lot of people can’t seem to understand the role of a 3rd choice keeper.
We have a string of youngsters who could fulfil that occasional need for a third choice keeper.
Probably better them getting grants 2 appearances a year too.

We have a string of youngsters who could fulfil that occasional need for a third choice keeper.
Probably better them getting grants 2 appearances a year too.
That’s not the point of a 3rd choice keeper. You need someone with experience who can step in at the last minute if required. It’s not about a pre determined appearance in a dead rubber match.

Who do you want in an important match, who can step in with zero preparation?

Someone with experience of playing in the PL

or,

20 year old keeper who has never played a first team game for any club?

That’s why you have an experienced 3rd choice, and it’s usually their last role before retirement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That’s not the point of a 3rd choice keeper. You need someone with experience who can step in at the last minute if required. It’s not about a pre determined appearance in a dead rubber match.

Who do you want in an important match, who can step in with zero preparation?

Someone with experience of playing in the PL

or,

20 year old keeper who has never played a first team game for any club?

That’s why you have an experienced 3rd choice, and it’s usually their last role before retirement.
Lee Grant is hardly any sort of quality option above our youngsters irrespective of his "experience" .

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Because we need our U23 goalkeepers to play games (either out on loan or with our U23's), not be sitting on the bench every game if one of our main two get injured. It'd be an absolute waste of 6 months of their development if either DDG or Henderson copped an injury for that long.

wolvored

Jones' contract extension is still one of the most bizarre decisions from Ole.
I would have shipped him out, but would have understood giving him another year see if some mug would have paid £5 mill for him. To give him 5 years Ole and/or deadwood should have been sacked for that alone

starman

It's pretty incredible we spend more per year in wages on Jones and Rojo than we would actually get for either of them in a fee. And that's going to be the case for Jones for the next 3 years...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Presume it’s down to Romero getting a move before the end of the window and Jones and Rojo, well, y’know...
I would love to see Romero move somewhere decent where he can be the #1; I think he has deserved that after his time as a loyal back-up. But hasn't the window closed?

I would love to see Romero move somewhere decent where he can be the #1; I think he has deserved that after his time as a loyal back-up. But hasn't the window closed?
There are a few places he can go. Inc to the championship.

No one is taking him as a no 1 though, not unless their keeper gets a serious injury.

Crustanoid

Fair enough. I get your argument. But we don't have 2nd choice back ups who are good enough for a lot of other positions and they are called into action a lot more frequently. We could rotate U23s as a bench keeper if one of the main 2 got injured

hmchan

Afro was sold one week or two before Jones contract if i remember correctly, it was praised as Ole knows what Manchester United all about, so he got rid of Mop head. Guess they didnt ask him about that either, not sure whats worse.
Either way, the double standard is shocking.