Romero Romero where art thou now

Deery

Dreary
Stupid not to let him leave last summer, whatever so called derisory fee we may have got for him surely would have been better than paying his wages while he was sat in Argentina for a year
Nearly £4m down the pisser in wages... :houllier:

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Ole & the club treated him badly. We should've parted our ways in a much much nicer way after the guy performed nearly perfectly when called upon. He deserved that. My favourite No2 in the club's history easily. Also he's a better keeper than Henderson.

In other news, Mata and Lee Grant are getting new contracts which is absurd :houllier:

el3mel

We really treated him in such a disgraceful way. Reminds me of how we dealt with Bastian before he left.

United Hobbit

Disappointed not to see Jones on the list of players leaving/ being released

Also, why are we in talks with Lee Grant over a new contract, what does he do? Yet we release Romero, who's been a reliable 2nd goalkeeper, with question marks remaining over De Gea and Henderson. Surely one of those 2 will be leaving, so why not keep Romero as 2nd goalkeeper?

Deery

Dreary
Disappointed not to see Jones on the list of players leaving/ being released

Also, why are we in talks with Lee Grant over a new contract, what does he do? Yet we release Romero, who's been a reliable 2nd goalkeeper, with question marks remaining over De Gea and Henderson. Surely one of those 2 will be leaving, so why not keep Romero as 2nd goalkeeper?
We let Joel Pereira go too so that’s already 2 keepers out with 1 coming in.

GazTheLegend

Yeah it’s reported he’s on £70k a week which is just short of £4m for the year, crazy the way this club is run.
4million to have a third choice goalkeeper with the quality of Romero is ridiculously cheap I'd argue.

You can make these comments with the benefit of hindsight but what if Henderson had been injured while de Gea was in Spain? You'd be commenting "why did we let Romero go for (insert derisory fee) bla bla our club is run so shit".

Either way, he's my favourite second choice goalkeeper of all time at man Utd and helped us win a trophy in his time so I hope WHEREVER he goes he does well, and I'm sure he will because he's a great keeper - but not as good as Henderson or De Gea.

4million to have a third choice goalkeeper with the quality of Romero is ridiculously cheap I'd argue.

You can make these comments with the benefit of hindsight but what if Henderson had been injured while de Gea was in Spain? You'd be commenting "why did we let Romero go for (insert derisory fee) bla bla our club is run so shit".

Either way, he's my favourite second choice goalkeeper of all time at man Utd and helped us win a trophy in his time so I hope WHEREVER he goes he does well, and I'm sure he will because he's a great keeper - but not as good as Henderson or De Gea.
he wasn’t third choice last season though. He wasn’t even registered was he?

so yes, a terrible waste of money/ resources from us and a waste of a year of his career from him n

Deery

Dreary

Not when he’s sat in Argentina doing nothing it’s not cheap at all.

Lee Grant would have played if Henderson got injured.

I’m not having a go at Romero I liked him but he wanted to go to Everton last year which we could have done for a fee but the club said no so that’s potentially £10m fee and £4m wages for the year were blown.

dalriada

As far as I'm aware, he was allowed to stay out in Argentina with his family on gardening leave during the COVID lockdowns.
Sad to see him go, one of our best signings in recent years and easily the best back-up keeper in the EPL. He didn't play that many games for us, but he was calm and assured when he did.
An innocent casualty of the situation with Henderson, sorry to see the way he ended up losing his position through no fault of his own.

Max_United

We let Joel Pereira go too so that’s already 2 keepers out with 1 coming in.
Well, with Grant staying and if Heaton comes in - it would mean that either Henderson or De Gea would leave at least on loan. There is no sense keeping 4 senior goalkeepers on books - although our squad policy especially in terms of giving new contracts/not letting go of backup players is often puzzling (Jones, Romero, Rojo etc).

Deery

Dreary
Well, with Grant staying and if Heaton comes in - it would mean that either Henderson or De Gea would leave at least on loan. There is no sense keeping 4 senior goalkeepers on books - although our squad policy especially in terms of giving new contracts/not letting go of backup players is often puzzling (Jones, Romero, Rojo etc).
I’m not quite sure what we’ll do but I’ll be surprised if DeGea goes tbh.

Judas

Open to offers
Stupid not to let him leave last summer, whatever so called derisory fee we may have got for him surely would have been better than paying his wages while he was sat in Argentina for a year
Yep. Truly bizarre and honestly quite poor how we handled him last summer. He'd been a good servant to the club, and we basically just ended up wasting a year of his life, and wasting money too.

Jam

Yep. Truly bizarre and honestly quite poor how we handled him last summer. He'd been a good servant to the club, and we basically just ended up wasting a year of his life, and wasting money too.
Totally in agreement, club had no intention of using him once we had Henderson back.

So why, with a year left on his contract, and after the service he’s gave us, not let him leave for whatever small fee and also save a year on his wages.

It’s maddening, rather than “sell him cheap” we paid him to have a year off.

It wasn’t like clubs were intentionally trying to rip us off. Our third choice keeper had a year left on his contract. Just let him go.

DoomSlayer

Made a clueless comment and never corrected your mistake. This was a typical reply when I was making frustrated posts about the situation last summer. Good to see Caf members keep remaining ignorant. :lol:

Amir

It’s maddening, rather than “sell him cheap” we paid him to have a year off.

It wasn’t like clubs were intentionally trying to rip us off. Our third choice keeper had a year left on his contract. Just let him go.
Maybe it was United making a stance to show they won't be taken to the cleaners when it comes to trasnfer anymore.

If it was, it was poor. Bad for the club and bad for the player.

Luke1995

Has Lee Grant actually played for the club ? Even Valdes played a game or two :lol:

GazTheLegend

Made a clueless comment and never corrected your mistake. This was a typical reply when I was making frustrated posts about the situation last summer. Good to see Caf members keep remaining ignorant. :lol:
Eh, maybe because they're all talking absolute shit, Romero was added to our PL squad in February.

Edit: Are you going to correct YOUR mistake and tell me "sorry mate you were right all along, there was no need for me to be a prick"

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

he wasn’t third choice last season though. He wasn’t even registered was he?
Yes he was. Only for half a season right enough but whatever. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-confirm-premier-league-19781114

Has Lee Grant actually played for the club ? Even Valdes played a game or two :lol:
Not sure, I know he's been in quite a few squads. We've been fortunate enough to not have our two keepers injured at the same time (whereas, for instance, I think Liverpool and City both have at times over the last few seasons? I could be talking nonsense but I'm pretty sure I remember it happening at least once to City with Ederson and Bravo, though I won't hang my hat on that.)

Yes he was. Only for half a season right enough but whatever. https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-utd-confirm-premier-league-19781114

Not sure, I know he's been in quite a few squads. We've been fortunate enough to not have our two keepers injured at the same time (whereas, for instance, I think Liverpool and City both have at times over the last few seasons? I could be talking nonsense but I'm pretty sure I remember it happening at least once to City with Ederson and Bravo, though I won't hang my hat on that.)
fair enough. He still wasn’t third choice though, Grant was as he was often on the bench - I don’t think Romero was even in the country was he?

GazTheLegend

fair enough. He still wasn’t third choice though, Grant was as he was often on the bench - I don’t think Romero was even in the country was he?
True. Not sure I ever saw Romero in a matchday squad either, and I remember at one point we had two keepers, Lee Grant and Nathan Bishop as subs at the same time too...

DoomSlayer

Eh, maybe because they're all talking absolute shit, Romero was added to our PL squad in February.

Edit: Are you going to correct YOUR mistake and tell me "sorry mate you were right all along, there was no need for me to be a prick"
He wasn't at the start of the season though, which was my entire point as I mentioned speaking about the issue last summer. He was never 3rd choice GK either, another false narrative that you are pushing.

What irks me is trying to find excuses for the bad business we do all the time. We are one of the worst big clubs at doing transfers, ingoing and outgoing. Shambolic decision-making all around the board and too much stubbornness at all the wrong moments.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If are seriously going to give Mata a new contract, I don't even know what to say anymore. Absolutely lunacy

lsd

The Oracle
I assume Grant and Mata are being kept because they are a good influence in the dressing room and that is it's own benefit.

Fergie used to take Viv Anderson on United away trips even when he was no longer a United player because he was good with the players and kept spirits up.

When you have young players and are looking to build a successful team you need that extra touch

Rightnr

I assume Grant and Mata are being kept because they are a good influence in the dressing room and that is it's own benefit.

Fergie used to take Viv Anderson on United away trips even when he was no longer a United player because he was good with the players and kept spirits up.

When you have young players and are looking to build a successful team you need that extra touch
This was a ridiculous stance two years ago but now that we have obvious holes in the team and we want to offload De Gea because he's supposedly on high wages, it's just beyond luicruous.

Mata is on well over £100k/week and has barely played for us in the last two seasons. The guy is 33 and has been done for at least 3 years.

I am honestly at a point where I'll give up on this club. I'll watch games and support but there's no way I can be emotionally involved in an entity run by modern day oligarchs, with a structure that supports friends and family for ex-players and has no ambition to win even a B-tier cup in the next 10 years.

lsd

The Oracle
This was a ridiculous stance two years ago but now that we have obvious holes in the team and we want to offload De Gea because he's supposedly on high wages, it's just beyond luicruous.

Mata is on well over £100k/week and has barely played for us in the last two seasons. The guy is 33 and has been done for at least 3 years.

I am honestly at a point where I'll give up on this club. I'll watch games and support but there's no way I can be emotionally involved in an entity run by modern day oligarchs, with a structure that supports friends and family for ex-players and has no ambition to win even a B-tier cup in the next 10 years.

It's not ridiculous when you have no idea what goes on inside a football lub

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shame he left in the manner he did. Reliable back up, hope he does well wherever he goes.

Rightnr

It's not ridiculous when you have no idea what goes on inside a football lub
This, exactly this type of thinking and head-in-the-sand thinking is why we are here. So you are happy to be told De Gea costs us too much one minute and then in the same breath you defend the people running this football club when they're pissing money up the wall?

I am not sure what I'm more done with nowadays, our club's clueless management or our 'devoted' fans who can't smell the coffee when they've been burned with it time and time and time again.

lsd

The Oracle
This, exactly this type of thinking and head-in-the-sand thinking is why we are here. So you are happy to be told De Gea costs us too much one minute and then in the same breath you defend the people running this football club when they're pissing money up the wall?

I am not sure what I'm more done with nowadays, our club's clueless management or our 'devoted' fans who can't smell the coffee when they've been burned with it time and time and time again.

Surely clueless is giving opinions on things you do not know about as you are not privy to how football clubs are run

edcunited1878

You always need older heads in your squad. Mata and Grant know their place in the team, as do the coaches and managers. They are more important in just a selection standpoint.

Similar to Anderson staying on for so long under SAF, he was a really, really good personality to have in the camp even if his playing time was reduced due to injuries.

Grant also served as de facto goalkeeping coach when covid restrictions and contact tracing beset the team. He's came on a free and is on very low wages. Mata is well respected at the club and is the elder statesman, along with Matic and Cavani for another season. If you go all in on just young players, especially those who haven't won any meaningful trophy, you're going to lose discipline and go adrift like Arsenal.

City's 3rd choice GK...Scott Carson.

Rightnr

Mata costs as much as De Bruyne. We have a cheerleader/blog-writer who costs as as much one of the best players in the PL/Europe.

How do we think we'll move forward in terms of both finances and offering opportunities to the youngsters coming through if people like Mata spend more time here than people like van Nistelrooy.

City let Aguero go, for feck's sake. How many good vibes people do we need in the dressing room? When are we getting some winners and some actual world class players?

led_scholes

Ole first stoped using him in EL last year then he was denied a move, resulting in a 10 million loss. Us in a nutshell.

Good luck to him. He was a decent backup for us.

Foxbatt

Mata costs as much as De Bruyne. We have a cheerleader/blog-writer who costs as as much one of the best players in the PL/Europe.

How do we think we'll move forward in terms of both finances and offering opportunities to the youngsters coming through if people like Mata spend more time here than people like van Nistelrooy.

City let Aguero go, for feck's sake. How many good vibes people do we need in the dressing room? When are we getting some winners and some actual world class players?
Agreed. Might as well hire Rio Ferdinand or Patrice Evra to cheer up the dressing room. I am sure Patrice will come much cheaper than Mata. This club has gone nuts. The lunatics are in charge of the asylum.