Romero staying

Amazing news, love Sergio even though I'm not sure why he'd stay when he could start for most clubs. Best second keeper out there

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Fair point, if he's still first choice for Argentina there's no immediate need for him to change but I still find it odd in that no other national number one for a top nation is number two for their club (as far as I know).
How about Szczesny? Casillas was number two at Madrid while still being in front of De Gea at Spain:houllier:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
How about Szczesny? Casillas was number two at Madrid while still being in front of De Gea at Spain:houllier:
If you class Poland as a top WC nation you have a point, I'd stop short of that however. Casillas/De Gea is no longer the situation for Spain, and arguably went on too long in any case given the respective trajectories of the two men, but that's also a good point. I still maintain it is exceptional to see a national keeper for a top nation not starting for his club.

It'll be interesting to see who Argentina go for now, given they have Big Willy at a more illustrious club but a fine keeper in Armani playing regularly at home.

extincti fugax hominum

Fantastic news. We have the best number 1 and 2 (and maybe 3 considering Jose's words on Joel Castro Pereira) in the world. Don't need to sign a goalkeeper in the foreseeable future.

Uniquim

We have such a great keeper situation at the moment. We have De Gea, arguably the best goalkeeper in the world.

Sergio Romero, easily the best reserve goalkeeper in the league.

and if Henderson signs a new contract, we have two really good prospects in him and Pereira.

LoneStar

I'm obviously very happy that he is staying and that we have the best backup keeper in the world, but, I don't get his decision at all.

Like a lot of posters above have said, he would be starting in a lot of good clubs. Strange choice from him.

Kapardin

He's easily among the Top 5 GKs in the league and he's our back-up. Very glad he's staying, by far LvG's best signing apart from Martial and one of my favorite players.

ti vu

People who say Kane lacks ambition do you have same opinion on Sergio? Genuine question.
Weird post.

The guy has been to many other clubs before his time here. And here when when we won the EL, he was trusted to start & finish game despite having DDG around.

It's not like he's a third GK and not involved at all in our so called important games. For a second choice GK (behind DfDG), his situation is very good. And we're not Tottenham either.

Glad he stays. He seems like a nice guy

mu4c_20le

For sure, at least Kane gets to play
Glad he is staying but for a top experienced player to be happy to stay on the bench for just a few cup games is strange.
If Kane moves it would be for a bigger club. Romero would be going to a smaller club if he wants to start regularly. So very different situations and not really strange at all if the guy likes to play for one of the biggest most noticeable clubs in the world.

Flying_Heckfish

Such an odd choice as much as I appreciate it.

Could easily be no.1 at a good club in the PL or elsewhere in Europe. I mean, I know this is plain obvious but he's better than all of Arsenal's and Liverpool's keepers for a start.
Agreed, a bit of a waste really as long as DDG is around.

Either he has no personal motivation to be #1, or conversely he suspects he might have a shot at it soon.

flappyjay

He is played in a world cup final. Played the league cup final and won , played the Europa league final and won . His in his thirties now it's all about saving money.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He likes it here, gets handsomely payed for being a backup to a fellow Spanish speaker and he's got shots at titles which he'll help achieve (cup games).

He's been jerked around at clubs before so even though he won't be first choice here he's got a manager that trusts him and knowing that is a good feeling for a player.

Red Royal

So good to know we have a keeper so good in case we were to cash in on the Golden DeGoose.

Love that our backup and third choice are streets ahead of the Scousers with the Chucklebrothers aka Karius and Mingolet

Alabaster Codify7

Great news. Loan Pereira for the season, try to reward Sergio with a few League cup or FA Cup games against lower level teams. Best backup keeper out there, pleased he's sticking around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Out of interest what's the biggest league game he's played in while at Man. United?

Only reallly see him in cup games against limited attacks so difficult to judge how high his level would go e.g. if he played in a game like Arsenal away last season for example.

I can understand why people rate him because of his cup games but saying he's top 5 in the league is little bit OTT imo as he's very rarely played a 40 game season at any of the clubs he's actually been at. How would he handle things if he made a couple of mistakes ten weeks into the season like players like Hart, Lloris do for example?

RC89

People who say Kane lacks ambition do you have same opinion on Sergio? Genuine question.
Romero is more likely to win prestigious trophies with us than at any club he could likely start for. The exact opposite of Kane.

Idxomer

Out of interest what's the biggest league game he's played in while at Man. United?
Against Tottenham at the start of 2015/2016 season. He continued to play till Swansea game I think when he made a couple of mistakes.

De Gea renewed after that and Romero returned to the bench.

Renegade

Which other club do you know are in for him?
No idea mate I’m not his agent. I’m sure the “best number 2 in the league” would have offers though. I’m glad his staying quality keeper, just throwing that question out there.

Last edited:
I can understand why people rate him because of his cup games but saying he's top 5 in the league is little bit OTT imo as he's very rarely played a 40 game season at any of the clubs he's actually been at. How would he handle things if he made a couple of mistakes ten weeks into the season like players like Hart, Lloris do for example?
Who is saying he’s top 5 in the league? He’s one of the best no 2’s that there is, and one of the reasons is because he doesn’t angle for a move, but he’s nowhere near being a quality first team keeper in the PL.

I’m glad we have him, but would be extremely unsatidified if he was our no 1.

lewwoo

I would imagine he is being paid very well to sit on our bench making the odd appearance and train with his mates every day. Some people just arent overly ambitious and he must be happy enough in his current situation. Great knowing we have someone we can depend on if needed.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who is saying he’s top 5 in the league? He’s one of the best no 2’s that there is, and one of the reasons is because he doesn’t angle for a move, but he’s nowhere near being a quality first team keeper in the PL.

I’m glad we have him, but would be extremely unsatidified if he was our no 1.
Kapardin on this very page.

manutddjw

Different situation in all likelihood. Kane can literally pick any top club to go to, whereas Romero will be a starter elsewhere but it’ll be bottom of the top or top of the bottom team. We’re probably paying him the same a starter would make at nearly every other club as well.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great news that he has extended. Always been very solid every time he has stepped into goals for us.