Ronald Koeman - Barcelona First team coach

Gasolin

Barcelona for our players to fancy a revenge and up the tempo would be good. But make no mistake, when Messi is on Maradona level, there is no stopping them. It's illusionary to believe the contrary. I still think it's not clear if they will be able to do it, so maybe it's best to meet them later in the competition if they, and we, are still around.

90 + 5min

I see big similarities with Solskjaer. Club was and still is in a mess and Messi situation is like a dark cloud over the club. Give him couple of years and he will do just fine.
But knowing political games at spanish clubs, he will get sacked.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ironically they've consistently played fairly well, better than last season and arguably better than most of the Valverde era too. Just Messi isn't superhuman and Pique is injured and Suarez is gone

And this is the result :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Incredible how far they have fallen.
The writing has been on the wall for years, Messi has covered a multitude of mistakes at a board level. Biggest mistake they made was moving away from the academy and signing big name players. They'll ultimately go back to that model and be a success but they've probably set themselves back 5 years or more depending on whether or not their rivals can take advantage of it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I see big similarities with Solskjaer. Club was and still is in a mess and Messi situation is like a dark cloud over the club. Give him couple of years and he will do just fine.
But knowing political games at spanish clubs, he will get sacked.
It is not alwa
Nothing in his CV to suggest that. I don't think political games will see him losing his job, he'll do that himself just fine.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There are some clubs you look at that need a complete clean slate and Barca are one of them. They've got such a topsy-turvy squad.

crossy1686

career ending
Nothing in his CV to suggest that. I don't think political games will see him losing his job, he'll do that himself just fine.
Past achievements aren't a measure of future achievements. Koeman is a good manager but he was the choice of a disgraced former president and therefore will ge the boot after their election.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
How is he still in the job? Barca are usually quite pro active in getting rid of a coach taking them nowhere.
There's a temporary board in place at the moment. They won't make any decisions around the manager, that'll be the domain of the new president. Plus, Ernesto Valverde was the first mid season sacking made by Barcelona since Louis van Gaal was sacked during the 2002-03 season.

DWelbz19

Past achievements aren't a measure of future achievements. Koeman is a good manager but he was the choice of a disgraced former president and therefore will ge the boot after their election.
Koeman is not a good manager. He will get sacked because he is currently 12 points behind 1st who have a game in hand after 11 matches.

90 + 5min

CV is not always messure how good you are. Barcelona as a club need change. If they think manager is fault, fine. But they will still have problems with next. And next. And next.
And as sadly as it sounds, someone needs to take decision to get rid of Messi. He is still brilliant but he has become a dark cloud. Barcelona need to move on.

crossy1686

career ending
Koeman is not a good manager. He will get sacked because he is currently 12 points behind 1st who have a game in hand after 11 matches.
Despite doing well no matter where he's been? What are you basing this opinion on? Who in their right mind would take the Barcelona job right now? It's career suicide, their issues have nothing to do with the manager.

Guy Incognito

Incredible how far they have fallen.
They've been papering over cracks for years. Koeman will be gone in a matter of weeks.

I do wonder what will happen if they fail to qualify for the Champions League next season, will they push for a super league? You've also got Real this season potentially dropping down to the Europa.

crossy1686

career ending
They've been papering over cracks for years. Koeman will be gone in a matter of weeks.

I do wonder what will happen if they fail to qualify for the Champions League next season, will they push for a super league? You've also got Real this season potentially dropping down to the Europa.
The only thing saving Zidane from the chop at the moment is the fact Barcelona are in worse shape. I'm glad Madrid are in a state to be fair, they finally can't afford to mop up all the best players in Europe and now they're having to buy players with potential instead but they don't have the patience to give a manager enough time to improve them. Karmic justice.

DWelbz19

Despite doing well no matter where he's been? What are you basing this opinion on? Who in their right mind would take the Barcelona job right now? It's career suicide, their issues have nothing to do with the manager.
Revisit his tenure at Everton. He signed a whole host of mediocre players on inflated wages; half of which Everton are still struggling to flog now. Check how terribly he did at Valencia, too. Those are the biggest jobs he's had in his career (outside of Ajax 20 years ago), and they ended poorly.

He did respectable at mid table sides in the Dutch league for the midpart of his career, and then followed that up well at Southampton, but if that makes a manager good enough to manage Barcelona then... Blimey.

Barcelona have obvious squad and board issues, but that doesn't mean Koeman is a good enough manager to be there. He never will be. He never was.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

I sure as heck hope not.

Chairman Steve

He should get 3 years to put his mark on the team. He is clearly building something in his vision after the mess of Setien and Valverde and Barcelona fans will have to deal with it because he understands the club, and not these fancy, young hipster managers that everyone wants. He’s Ronald fecking Koeman ffs. He scored in the European Cup final for them so show him some respect.

Ronalds at the wheel

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Crazy to take the job with the ongoing Messi situation.

Will be the fall guy from Bartomeu's mismanagement of the club.

Sacked by Christmas, or end of the season at the latest?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Unless he wins the treble koeman is gone no matter what after the season. New president will want his own coach. He has to be too good to sack to keep the job

UncleBob

To be fair. He hasn’t got much option with this unbalanced team. Messi plays on the same role as Griezmann. Pjanic & De Jong are also playing in the same role. They have nobody as no 9. And nobody as centre back backup. Man, they are being robbed with Pjanic’s deal. It’s also probably better with Griezmann as no 10 and Suarez as no 9 than trying to keep Messi and sold Suarez.
The only purpose of the deal was balancing the books

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Revisit his tenure at Everton. He signed a whole host of mediocre players on inflated wages; half of which Everton are still struggling to flog now. Check how terribly he did at Valencia, too. Those are the biggest jobs he's had in his career (outside of Ajax 20 years ago), and they ended poorly.

He did respectable at mid table sides in the Dutch league for the midpart of his career, and then followed that up well at Southampton, but if that makes a manager good enough to manage Barcelona then... Blimey.

Barcelona have obvious squad and board issues, but that doesn't mean Koeman is a good enough manager to be there. He never will be. He never was.
His first season at Everton was quite good wasn't it? They just made a total mess of trying to replace Lukaku.

Did well to get Holland back up and running and they would've probably been a dangerous floated in knock out stages for euros if he'd stayed, less likely now with De Boer.

Being club legend obviously helped get him the job but I wouldn't say he has a terrible CV. Not like Barca anyway just go for top level managers given what they've generally appointed in last 20 years, Koeman is better manager than Frank Rijkaard for example.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
How is he still in the job? Barca are usually quite pro active in getting rid of a coach taking them nowhere.
Barca have no money to pay off him and his staff and bring in a new one. Call it „the Schalke situation“.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If your tactics are to put De Jong and Pique as strikers and hoof the ball into the box from every possible angle you're probably in trouble...

PepG

Supports
Ajax
He needs to be sacked..asap..Terrible coach..just terrible

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Utterly shite manager, like Martínez, who tried to boost his reputation going to international football.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That game gave me LVG @ United vibes.

I still think he's a decent manager (that does shit transfers) but this is getting embarrassing.

Koeman needs to ask himself what the point is in playing Fellaini hoofball for a year until Barca have the funds to sack him. If it's about the money, he needs to make some sort of deal where the payment is delayed.

Also Dest, Luuk de Jong, Clasie, Klaassen!? Nobody rated them in Holland aside from their club's supporters. You'd almost think Koeman was some sort of closet nationalist.

If he stays for another year, what's next? Kokcu, Max and Teze?

I don't have warm feelings towards Barca, but I wouldn't wish those upon Liverpool.

led_scholes

They have a bunch of young talented players and are 2-3 years away from being really competive again, if of course they do not collapse due to debts and have to sell their players. But I think they are "too big to fail". But let's hope they stick with Koeman :)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
That game gave me LVG @ United vibes.

I still think he's a decent manager (that does shit transfers) but this is getting embarrassing.

Koeman needs to ask himself what the point is in playing Fellaini hoofball for a year until Barca have the funds to sack him. If it's about the money, he needs to make some sort of deal where the payment is delayed.

Also Dest, Luuk de Jong, Clasie, Klaassen. Nobody rated them in Holland aside from their club's supporters. You'd almost think Koeman was some sort of closet nationalist.

If he stays for another year, what's next? Kokcu, Max and Teze?

I don't have warm feelings towards Barca, but I wouldn't wish those upon Liverpool.
You're right we wish worse.

USREDEVIL

I just watched Barca v. Granada. Whew that was a tough watch but i wanted to see what they looked like now. They look shit. Bunch of anonymous players making Depay look a star :nervous:
Depay looked decent though. At least in comparison. They snatched a point at the end because Granda's defense let them down. They were playing Big Sam tactics at the end, just throwing it into the box to get something going. Half the stadium was empty. Weird stuff.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It's clear that he's the main problem at this point. Bloke seems passive and joyless.

Laporta doesn't have the money to sack him. Probably already looking forward to Summer 2022 so he can (try to) bring in Ten Hag and Haaland.

Unless Fati, Aguero and Dembele make a triumphant comeback, this will be Koeman's last season at Barca. Real Madrid is going to win this Liga.

Last edited: