Ronaldo (37) Slaps Phone Out of Child’s (14) Hand | Charged after 5 months of deliberation

Elliot

Lets be honest, Ronaldo is a man child. If he is going to be prosecuted, it should be in line with other sentences for infants such as the naughty step, time out, or even the dreaded confiscation of his tablet.

goalscholes

Make it harassment to record someone without their permission, unless they are committing a crime.

I’d hate to have a phone stuck in my face. I refuse to even put pictures of my kids on the internet as I don’t feel I have their consent.

Would have the positive side of stopping people blocking my view of live music/ sport recording videos for Instagram they never watch.

Until then, Ronaldo should pay for any damage to the kids phone, his match ticket. And maybe like £500 compensation to make up for the inevitable bullying at school, caused by his Mum telling everyone he burst into tears, so she could get a payday.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Make it harassment to record someone without their permission, unless they are committing a crime.

I’d hate to have a phone stuck in my face. I refuse to even put pictures of my kids on the internet as I don’t feel I have their consent.

Would have the positive side of stopping people blocking my view of live music/ sport recording videos for Instagram they never watch.

Until then, Ronaldo should pay for any damage to the kids phone, his match ticket. And maybe like £500 compensation to make up for the inevitable bullying at school, caused by his Mum telling everyone he burst into tears, so she could get a payday.
Footballers are among the many celebrities that thrive on the attention that phones indicate and generate. Like some in this thread felt sorry for Ronaldo having his injury filmed. Ronaldo has spent a large part of his life drawing attention to injuries, some of which actually existed. It works both ways.

djembatheking

Ronaldo is a dick, the only punishment is to dock Liverpool 10 points and kick them out of the champions league.

studs

What do get if you cross Ronaldo with a phone?

A slap.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Footballers are among the many celebrities that thrive on the attention that phones indicate and generate. Like some in this thread felt sorry for Ronaldo having his injury filmed. Ronaldo has spent a large part of his life drawing attention to injuries, some of which actually existed. It works both ways.
You're onto something here - what if the slap were a piece of performance art to remind the world about the unjust attention footballers receive, much of which is done via communication networks used on phones, and how unfair this is in times of conflict and rising energy bills?

Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case at all and equally how it would go over the head of your typical caf-ite.

cafecillos

More information you don't need: she was 79 years old, and weighed in at 38 kg when released from hospital. One of the items in contention is that, no, hot coffee is not hot coffee. The argument is that the coffee was too hot, dangerously hot, because McDonald's wants to provide hot coffee for when the coffee is consumed rather than served.

I'm all for talking about the litigiousness of especially American society, but this case is not really a good example of it and the reason it's so widely lampooned is a result of corporate propaganda. So I like to rant about it when it's brought up, even though you're right it doesn't fundamentally detract from your overall point.
Thanks for this. One of the very best Caf posters, criminally underrated.

mctrials23

When did you start engaging with the media? That's how it works. That's how you write a story. If the victim of a random assault has hard luck in the background it gets printed. Widow, single father, recently unemployed.

What would you like? "Human of non-specific age and gender holding phone that Ronaldo slapped has mildly bruised appendage?"

Ronaldo needs to see who is pointing the phone. It was a kid. He is 37. He was in the wrong. How the hell is that brainwashing? It's an old societal norm.

Your logic is that a grown man is not held responsible for hitting a kid because he didn't look at who he was lashing out at? Really? "Well your honor, in his defense it might have been a rapist holding the phone, in which case my client deserves a brave citizen award."

People are annoyed the kid stuck his phone at an injured Ronaldo, imagine if it was the kid who caused injury to the precious footballer. Would it still be a nothing story to you all?
I have said in almost every post I have put here that Ronaldo has been a petulant cnut so I don't know quite where you get this idea that I think he wasn't in the wrong. I am quite literally replying to the people who keep suggesting that the fact the child was autistic has any relevance at all to what happened.

You're making up bizarre arguments that no one, certainly not myself has made...

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I have said in almost every post I have put here that Ronaldo has been a petulant cnut so I don't know quite where you get this idea that I think he wasn't in the wrong. I am quite literally replying to the people who keep suggesting that the fact the child was autistic has any relevance at all to what happened.

You're making up bizarre arguments that no one, certainly not myself has made...
I have answered the that several times. It's not my fault you don't understand why people are mentioning it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Sticking two fingers at opposition players happens at every team sporting event in the world, it’s not a crime. High profile athletes putting their hands on an annoying kid is a different issue.
He didn't put his hand on an annoying kid he hit his phone, and why was this phone just in front of him as he was going off the pitch??
Wa their an ulterior motive?
And I'd like to see some peoples reactions after having the two fingers stuck inches away from their eyes.

What the hell
OK, just try and think logically here, is it OK to smash a childs hand and break their phone?
Melodramatic.
It may not even have broke after all.

Where is Eric when you need him? :D

georgipep

Firstly because it's a fact and secondly because it amplifies the disparity in the power dynamic and shows what can happen when grown up professional athletes lash out indiscriminately at a crowd of people. Any journalist aware of this point but leaves it out is not doing their job.
So why they also don't mention how intrusive the kid's behaviour was? That is also a fact and far more relevant.

Redlyn

So why they also don't mention how intrusive the kid's behaviour was? That is also a fact and far more relevant.
A kid doing the two fingers up at rival player? Omg how is he still running loose. Someone arrest him quick.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Because every weekend tens of thousands of people do this all across Europe. Until now nobody gave a toss. Far fewer multi millionaire sportspeople have assaulted kids. I take it you're not a newspaper editor.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What's with you silly brits flipping people of with 2 fingers anyway? Are you all somehow incapable of raising a middlefinger with the index going up too as a sort of spasm?

georgipep

Because every weekend tens of thousands of people do this all across Europe. Until now nobody gave a toss. Far fewer multi millionaire sportspeople have assaulted kids. I take it you're not a newspaper editor.
No, and I know what's the job of an editor because I've been one, but I also don't like what the media are doing, thus I no longer am one

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Is there actually any evidence that he was abusing Ronaldo in any way? ( Vocally or showing him a finger or 2 fingers etc)

Or is everyone here just repeating that endlessly based on their own assumptions due to the behavior of those around him?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Is there actually any evidence that he was abusing Ronaldo in any way? ( Vocally or showing him a finger or 2 fingers etc)

Or is everyone here just repeating that endlessly based on their own assumptions due to the behavior of those around him?
Nobody is saying he was abusing Ronaldo. They're just "whattabouting" because they know that Ronaldo was a dick to slap that kid's hand.

georgipep

You implied his behaviour was somehow what warranted him getting a broken phone and bruised hand.
No, I implied this should've been reported, as it is a fact. You stated that the kid being autistic is OK to be framed in the headline because it was a fact, regardless how irrelevant that is.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Because you defend it and I wonder if you agree with it or just accept it.
If you read the thread you know where I stand on crowd abusing people.

But to retrospectively be shocked by fan behaviour in defence of a 37 year old man being a twat is disingenuous at best.

Again, I'm not defending it but that's how the media we consume works, it's not just because it's Ronaldo.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
No, I implied this should've been reported, as it is a fact. You stated that the kid being autistic is OK to be framed in the headline because it was a fact, regardless how irrelevant that is.

It is relevant to the damage you can do by indiscrimately lashing out at a crowd?

Or are you suggesting he actually targeted a kid?

georgipep

If you read the thread you know where I stand on crowd abusing people.

But to retrospectively be shocked by fan behaviour in defence of a 37 year old man being a twat is disingenuous at best.

Again, I'm not defending it but that's how the media we consume works, it's not just because it's Ronaldo.
I am neither shocked nor wishing for the kid to be punished. I'm, however, against media creating a false narrative, using completely irrelevant arguments just to spark outrage and cash in on the clickbait

georgipep

It is relevant to the damage you can do by indiscrimately lashing out at a crowd?

Or are you suggesting he actually targeted a kid?
It is irrelevant that the kid is autistic. Neither Ronaldo knew about it, nor did it change anything from moral perspective.

The only reason it is added to the story is to spark outrage. And that is just shitty journalism and being stupid to take the bait

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not long ago it was neurodiversity week, a week where we're encouraged to accept people, for example with autism, as completely fine and just like any other member of society who doesnt have autism.

So how comes its being mentioned he has autism so many times? Why is society so contradictory?
I haven't lived on this thread, but I've not actually seen whether this kid was the kid on the other camera display heard abusing all our players as they came off.
If he's totally innocent, then it's even more unfortunate an incident then it already looked.

But if he was the abuser, then being autistic, shouldn't be used as some total get out clause, like some are using it as.
The autistic spectrum is far and wide, and many highly functioning and successful people are on the spectrum. And they're not excused all bad behaviour because of it.

TheReligion

Abusive
What's with you silly brits flipping people of with 2 fingers anyway? Are you all somehow incapable of raising a middlefinger with the index going up too as a sort of spasm?
There’s history around the reason why. It predates the middle finger salute by all accounts and is the OG of feck off salutes tbh.

A commonly repeated legend claims that the two-fingered salute or V sign derives from a gesture made by longbowmen fighting in the English army at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) during the Hundred Years' War, but no written historical primary sources support this contention.[27] This origin legend states that English archers believed that those who were captured by the French had their index and middle fingers cut off so that they could no longer operate their longbows, and that the V sign was used by uncaptured and victorious archers in a display of defiance against the French.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I am neither shocked nor wishing for the kid to be punished. I'm, however, against media creating a false narrative, using completely irrelevant arguments just to spark outrage and cash in on the clickbait

So what's false about the narrative?

And you still think that pointing out that the recipient of a violent outburst being an autistic child is irrelevant as to why lashing out indiscriminately is wrong?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It is irrelevant that the kid is autistic. Neither Ronaldo knew about it, nor did it change anything from moral perspective.

The only reason it is added to the story is to spark outrage. And that is just shitty journalism and being stupid to take the bait
The actual key part that I've not actually heard about, is was this kid actually abusing Ronaldo himself, or did he get caught up in it as the innocent party?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

In a world of shitty journalism it's odd to be so put out by a fact.

Is it relevant he is a kid? If so why?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We had a work game of footy once, against a local company.
I still find it hilarious that my manager of the time scored against them with a tap in, and then ran up to one of their players, did a 2 fingers gesture for a bit shouting "fck off mate", and then ran off.

I can't decide which was the funnier bit. The gesture, the swears with "mate" or the quick sprint off after :lol:

georgipep

So what's false about the narrative?

And you still think that pointing out that the recipient of a violent outburst being an autistic child is irrelevant as to why lashing out indiscriminately is wrong?
Yes, I do think that is irrelevant.

Alternatively, if the media is interested in stating ALL the facts, they should've stated all the arguments how kid was a prick.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The actual key part that I've not actually heard about, is was this kid actually abusing Ronaldo himself, or did he get caught up in it as the innocent party?

Let's say he was. Like lots of tossers do, all the time. For me it changes nothing. Unless Ronaldo said that it was the straw that broke the camels back and after 20 years of random abuse I lashed out. I'd applaud this but he's not saying this. Only blinded groupies are taking this stance. Ronaldo just said he was wrong and tried his best to apologise

georgipep

In a world of shitty journalism it's odd to be so put out by a fact.

Is it relevant he is a kid? If so why?
I don't think anyone will benefit from this discussion, not even the two of us, so we might as well agree to disagree.

I'm also very careful with my media consumption, especially when it comes to sources, relevance and legitimacy of information. But that's neither here, nor there.