Ronaldo asked Bruno to take the penalty

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Which means it doesn’t tell as much. There would be more untested situation, and the rate would be more down to luck or something.
Yep, if that was what you were saying then I agree completely with it. The statistical significance of something like that clearly rises with the amount of penalties taken. 20 out of 20 is significantly better than 5 out of 5, despite both being 100%

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyway. I want Harry Maguire to take the next one. That man knows how to bury a penalty.

Him or Fred.
You just know with the season Maguire is having, he'll not only smash it into the crowd, but it'll hit some kid in the face or something, and make it an even more horrible mess.

Meanwhile Saka, giving it loads when he scores his little pen, none of that v Italy was there :confused:

MrEleson

Not sure if I believe Ralf as he has made statements before in regards to other players like Martial and Lingard with both coming out to deny his claims.

Last edited:

kkj25

Bruno probably feels more pressure taking pens right now instead of his Hero then he would in normal seasons, If Ronaldo wasn't there he would probably would have smashed it in like last season.

MrEleson

This sound like something from Ronnie's Fandom but could actually make sense? Bruno just picked it up so unless ronnie told him beforehand to take it, this could make sense.
It makes more sense than "not feeling up for it" which is out of character, especially considering how sharp and fired up he was for the match in general. He's okay playing as he did but somehow wasn't ready to take the pen? (not even that high pressure a pen compared to what he's used to).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This sound like something from Ronnie's Fandom but could actually make sense? Bruno just picked it up so unless ronnie told him beforehand to take it, this could make sense.
C’mon. That’s ludicrous. “Took the fall afterwards on his behalf”. Why the hell would he do that?! Especially if he was “bemused” about having a potential goal nicked off his tally for the season.

phelans shorts

it makes absolutely no sense, stop trying to justify it
It makes more sense than "not feeling up for it" which is out of character, especially considering how sharp and fired up he was for the match in general. He's okay playing as he did but somehow wasn't ready to take the pen? (not even that high pressure a pen compared to what he's used to).
Or they let the better penalty taker take the penalty.

It’s not a particularly difficult concept. He just happened to miss, like Ronaldo did against Middlesbrough.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
C’mon. That’s ludicrous. “Took the fall afterwards on his behalf”. Why the hell would he do that?! Especially if he was “bemused” about having a potential goal nicked off his tally for the season.
But Bruno just took the ball the moment we got the pen, he had it on his mind to take it.
Unless they had that conversation beforehand, there really isn't a timeframe where they could have had it on the pitch.
I might be wrong of course so can someone provide the footage?

CloneMC16

Not sure if I believe Ralf as he has made statements before in regards to other players like Martial and Lngard with both coming out to deny his claims.
This is exactly what I thought happened. Bruno wanted to take the pen, and being captain, he thought he had the right to do so. He missed, and Ronaldo/Ralf lied for him to save face. We already have enough drama surrounding the club. It doesn't seem wise to start more in public. I understand that Ronaldo went through something absolutely horrific, but he chose to make himself available for this game. The man lives and breathes scoring goals. The best there has ever been at doing so. If he was mentally ready to start, I have my doubts that he would turn down a penalty.

MrEleson

it makes absolutely no sense, stop trying to justify it

Or they let the better penalty taker take the penalty.

It’s not a particularly difficult concept. He just happened to miss, like Ronaldo did against Middlesbrough.
Bruno is not the better penalty taker. His conversion rate is slightly better but that's with taking significantly less penalties. It will continue to plummet as he takes more and inevitably misses more.

MrEleson

It says right there, he didn't want to cause an issue on the pitch. Bruno already took the ball and was placing it so I doubt Ronaldo would have fought him for it, especially with Bruno being captain. You really think Ronaldo would turn down a penalty because he didn't feel like it when he was already good enough to play in the first place?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is exactly what I thought happened. Bruno wanted to take the pen, and being captain, he thought he had the right to do so. He missed, and Ronaldo/Ralf lied for him to save face. We already have enough drama surrounding the club. It doesn't seem wise to start more in public. I understand that Ronaldo went through something absolutely horrific, but he chose to make himself available for this game. The man lives and breathes scoring goals. The best there has ever been at doing so. If he was mentally ready to start, I have my doubts that he would turn down a penalty.
It does seem bloody unlikely for Ronaldo to put himself through a game, and an away game at one of the more rabid set of fans, and then choose to turn down a free shot at goal from 18 yards to push the tally on!

RepardReece

Bruno probably feels more pressure taking pens right now instead of his Hero then he would in normal seasons, If Ronaldo wasn't there he would probably would have smashed it in like last season.
Don't you just love how somehow every error made in a game leads back to Ronaldo.... The agenda here is pathetic

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I tend to believe Ronaldo did let Bruno take it, maybe they discussed at before the game or something, for 2 reasons:

1. Ronaldo didn’t feel he want to take it, as he is still emotionally pre-occupied and mourning the loss of his baby son, and not feeling he is in right mentality to take it. It’s totally understandable, maybe he shouldn’t even play this game.

2. Ronaldo knew Bruno has been in very poor form lately, so by letting him take penalty, may hopefully help him to regain his confidence/self-belief. He actually did this to Benzema before to help him out too, so it’s nothing new to him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It says right there, he didn't want to cause an issue on the pitch. Bruno already took the ball and was placing it so I doubt Ronaldo would have fought him for it, especially with Bruno being captain. You really think Ronaldo would turn down a penalty because he didn't feel like it when he was already good enough to play in the first place?
Re-read my post.

Especially the “taking the fall afterwards” bit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It does seem bloody unlikely for Ronaldo to put himself through a game, and an away game at one of the more rabid set of fans, and then choose to turn down a free shot at goal from 18 yards to push the tally on!
Nowhere nears as unlikely as Bruno stealing that opportunity off him, while he stood meekly by, then lying to the press afterwards about how he wasn’t up to taking a penalty so he could protect Bruno’s feelings.

phelans shorts

Bruno is not the better penalty taker. His conversion rate is slightly better but that's with taking significantly less penalties. It will continue to plummet as he takes more and inevitably misses more.
You’re talking like Bruno has taken 3 penalties in his career. His figures are very statistically significant and it would take a lot of misses to fall below Ronaldo
Rabid? It was fecking Arsenal

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You’re talking like Bruno has taken 3 penalties in his career. His figures are very statistically significant and it would take a lot of misses to fall below Ronaldo

Rabid? It was fecking Arsenal
What I'm getting from this is you've never had the pleasure of being amongst their fans at a game!

RedDevil@84

Thought this deserved a thread if its own because not everybody’s aware of it.

French TV showed a replay where Ronaldo asked Bruno to take the penalty. I can understand him after the week he’s had, even though he was our best player today.

In my opinion this should have been decided before the game not during.
It is decided before the game. But players give it to others sometimes. Nothing new or horrifying about it

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I find it hard to believe Ronaldo didn’t want to take it, just doesn’t seem like him to pass on the responsibility.
Yeah, really odd. Not like he was dealing with bigger things at the time...

Him playing in this game is big enough, I'm not surprised he didn't fancy it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I thought he looked nervous as feck before the kick. I even said out loud at the time that it looked like he was going to miss the target.

It's easy to say this in hindsight, but maybe if they'd come to the arrangement pre-match, Bruno might have been a bit more relaxed when he stepped up.

Oh, well.
I agree: he seemed to be unsure which type to take and ended up with the skip and the delay when usually he goes for one or other (or just slams it). Doing both pretty much ensured it wasn't going in