Ronaldo creates groupings and disrupt the United locker room?

choccy77

Let's face it, Ronaldo walks into carraington and sees Jones, Lingard, Maguire, Shaw, Mctominay, Martial and thinks WTF.

Can't blame him for avoiding them.

Foxbatt

There aren’t cliques in every dressing room at all. Cliques are toxic and exclusionary by definition, and yes it always impacts performance on the field. See England’s ‘golden generation’ as an example.
What are you talking about? Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham never talked to each other due to an issue between them before Teddy came to United. It didn't affect their on field performances.

Zen86

What are you talking about? Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham never talked to each other due to an issue between them before Teddy came to United. It didn't affect their on field performances.
Is that a clique? No, so back under your rock.

Foxbatt

Is that a clique? No, so back under your rock.
[/QUOTE]

It is a one man clique because no one else got along with either of them.

Polar

On the other end bringing Ronaldo without a vision for how he wanted to play or regard to locker room dynamics was more "masterclass" management. ETH already has a fair bit of homework to sort out.
I think you’re absolutely right. No one seem to know the greater plan behind the Ronaldo deal and the total package everyone knew we would receive.

Nah, a correct translation should be - Ronaldo upsets some of the spineless, over paid laggards at Manchester United because he has brought back the culture of seniority and accountability that used to exist in successful United teams, a culture that those who are gutless, social media-addicted and happy to collect ridiculous salaries without producing find threatening.
Agree:D The main problem is off course other players have lowered their level after Ronaldo’s arrival. We can’t blame Ronaldo himself for that, but it’s interesting to discuss what happens inside a team when you bring in a player and personality like Ronaldo. Everyone knew something would happen, and off course we hoped he would inspire and lift the level of the other players. Unfortunately it seems like the opposite happened, but most likely in combination with several other (maybe more) important factors.

fezzerUTD

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Yorke famously didn't get along with Cole. ;)
[/QUOTE]
Sheringham*

lsd

The Oracle
[/QUOTE]
Sheringham*
[/QUOTE]

To be fair did anyone get on with Sheringham at United. Always read how Keane despised him too.

I'm sure there have always been cliques in our dressing room going back to when Fergie took over yet it never stopped us winning

ObscureBaguette

Sheringham*
[/QUOTE]

To be fair did anyone get on with Sheringham at United. Always read how Keane despised him too.

I'm sure there have always been cliques in our dressing room going back to when Fergie took over yet it never stopped us winning
[/QUOTE]

I suppose in the days of Fergie the players simply weren't allowed to let any cliques or pesonal issues get in the way of their cooperation and performances. That's Fergie for you - everyone knew what would happen if he judged you to be having a negative impact on the team.

CloneMC16

Ronaldo acting like an asshole is pretty believable. It is highly likely that he came back and didn't realise how bad things really were. He would have known that it would be a challenge, but not like this. As bad as things have been over the years, I feel like it's never been this bad. Ronaldo returning and things turning extremely toxic is probably not a coincidence.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If I was an utterly slack waster with an appalling attitude, I dare say I'd find it hard being around someone of real quality, great attitude and effort too.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Let's face it, Ronaldo walks into carraington and sees Jones, Lingard, Maguire, Shaw, Mctominay, Martial and thinks WTF.

Can't blame him for avoiding them.
To be fair, Martial has not even been at the club since January haha. The others, oh dear, I bet Ronaldo wishes he never even came back to United :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo acting like an asshole is pretty believable. It is highly likely that he came back and didn't realise how bad things really were. He would have known that it would be a challenge, but not like this. As bad as things have been over the years, I feel like it's never been this bad. Ronaldo returning and things turning extremely toxic is probably not a coincidence.
Yeah, watching the games he looks an absolute menace with all that clapping players' appalling balls to him, and encouraging them all game.
What a trouble maker!

steffyr2

Yeah, watching the games he looks an absolute menace with all that clapping players' appalling balls to him, and encouraging them all game.
What a trouble maker!
So...who's the other clique at Utd? Who's pushing this story?

CloneMC16

What a trouble maker!
Watching the games has shown me very little. Although, I have noticed Ronaldo barely celebrating when other players have scored. I watched Rashford score a last second winner against West Ham. Our whole team went crazy. Even Fred came running from the bench to celebrate with the boys. Guess who was the only outfield playing not celebrating? Ronaldo. I also watched him have a complete meltdown when he was subbed against Brentford. The leaks coming out of the club tell me the most. Some of it is probably bullshit, but not all of it is. We have never seen this much bad press come out of the club. I don't believe that it's a coincidence.

If you want to believe that him coming back has had no negative effect on the morale within the squad, fine. I will think what I want.

The United

Watching the games has shown me very little. Although, I have noticed Ronaldo barely celebrating when other players have scored. I watched Rashford score a last second winner against West Ham. Our whole team went crazy. Even Fred came running from the bench to celebrate with the boys. Guess who was the only outfield playing not celebrating? Ronaldo. I also watched him have a complete meltdown when he was subbed against Brentford. The leaks coming out of the club tell me the most. Some of it is probably bullshit, but not all of it is. We have never seen this much bad press come out of the club. I don't believe that it's a coincidence.

If you want to believe that him coming back has had no negative effect on the morale within the squad, fine. I will think what I want.
In this one?

Last edited:

The United

He came over to the lads after the majority of the celebration was complete. He was VERY late to pat Rashford on the head.
But he was celebrating though?

You could have worded it like he was the only outfield player to come VERY late to pat Rashford on the head. Therefore, it proved that he was toxic to the dressing room or the other players.

CloneMC16

But he was celebrating though?
Barely. Do you remember the celebrations after that goal? Our whole team went absolutely crazy. Even Varane and Maguire came running from our own half to join in with the insane celebrations. Ronaldo was right next to Rashford when he scored and didn't come over until right at the end. Maybe that says nothing to you, but it says a tonne to me.

If Ronaldo scored that goal, he would have been celebrating like a mad man.

The United

Barely. Do you remember the celebrations after that goal? Our whole team went absolutely crazy. Even Varane and Maguire came running from our own half to join in with the insane celebrations. Ronaldo was right next to Rashford when he scored and didn't come over until right at the end. Maybe that says nothing to you, but it says a tonne to me.

If Ronaldo scored that goal, he would have been celebrating like a mad man.
So now we are moving the goal post.

Of course, that is usually how it works. Whoever scores celebrates the most.

RoyH1

He did that when he was in Real Madrid too. Celebrated less when others scored or had less than optimal body language with some of his colleagues. It didn't matter because they were top of the line professionals that waved it off and kept at it. They knew that all the good that Cristiano Ronaldo brings with him to a football team outweigh all the bad. He's the ultimate professional.

CloneMC16

So now we are moving the goal post.

Of course, that is usually how it works. Whoever scores celebrates the most.
I'm not moving the goal post. I'm saying that if he scored the goal, he would have reacted like how every other outfield player did. Like he does whenever he scores. Go and watch the celebration and look at every other player. I specially remember Cavani, McTominay, Bruno, Fred, and Varane going absolutely mad. None of them scored and still cerebrated it like they did. That's what I want to see from our players. It's a team game and they should be happy, regardless of who scores.

edcunited1878

Ronaldo has earned the right to challenge his teammates to be better, just like he does to himself. Having accountability and understanding there's pressure to perform at United isn't a bad thing. Players have to hold each other accountable. Good teams have players who police themselves and keep everyone straight. It comes from a place of need and trust. If it isn't given properly or received properly, everyone is culpable.

That will rub people the wrong way, but also people are being challenged. Step up, have a level of tolerance, or step out.

There's always been groups within the dressing room and people with different personalities. But everyone is there to win, no matter what your role is. Embrace and accept the role and move towards winning.

Not everyone in the dressing room currently at United will do anything and everything within reason, to win. That in itself is a problem.

The United

I'm not moving the goal post. I'm saying that if he scored the goal, he would have reacted like how every other outfield player did. Like he does whenever he scores. Go and watch the celebration and look at every other player. I specially remember Cavani, McTominay, Bruno, Fred, and Varane going absolutely mad. None of them scored and still cerebrated it like they did. That's what I want to see from our players. It's a team game and they should be happy, regardless of who scores.
Did you see how many do not celebrate with him against Chelsea? Can we say that those who didn't were not happy that he scored or something like that?

My point is it means feck all in the bigger picture. You even said that watching games had shown you very little. I don't doubt that because you seem to be missing a lot and even imagine things there.

He had his moments of not looking happy while had moments where he encouraged people around him on the pitch. Can't just take the bad one (which did not even happen the wat you said it) to prove your point.

Last edited:

El Jefe

Why are we making this a clique thing when all our players have been shite. I mean if this is true the only thing positive about Ronaldo's clique is Ronaldo.

Some of you have so much hatred for Shaw, Rashford and Maguire but its proven we are a pathetic team with and without them.

While Ronaldo is a great player we also don't know the inner workings of the club. He could be a cnut for all we know and the resentment to him could be justified. Without knowing what goes on criticising a particular group looks silly.

The United

Why are we making this a clique thing when all our players have been shite. I mean if this is true the only thing positive about Ronaldo's clique is Ronaldo.

Some of you have so much hatred for Shaw, Rashford and Maguire but its proven we are a pathetic team with and without them.

While Ronaldo is a great player we also don't know the inner workings of the club. He could be a cnut for all we know and the resentment to him could be justified. Without knowing what goes on criticising a particular group looks silly.
Nothing silly about it. I mean I have never heard of players not wanting to come to training because some other players are cnuts.

If true, imagine those playing in the 90s and early the 00s teams. We had full of cnuts in those teams.

With that being said, I don't think the circumstances inside the dressing room are that dramatic at all.

lsd

The Oracle
Ronaldo is a winner stuck in a team of mostly losers who don't even have the desire to try and win.

If there are two cliques at United one who don't want Ronaldo and what he brings to United and those who do want him here then I know which clique I want to see remain

CloneMC16

Did you see how many do not celebrate with him against Chelsea? Can we say that those who didn't were not happy that he scored or something like that?

My point is it means feck all in the bigger picture. You even said that watching games had shown you very little. I don't doubt that because you seem to be missing a lot and even imagine things there.

He had his moments of not looking happy while had moments where he encouraged people around him on the pitch. Can't just take the bad one (which did not even how you said it) to prove your point.
Are you seriously comparing a last second winner to a goal to take us back to 1-1? They're not comparable in any way. The season is also dead now. Our season wasn't over during the West Ham game.

I'm imagining Ronaldo looking unhappy when it's not him that's scored and him having a meltdown at the Brentford game?

Of course he's had good and encouraging moments on the pitch. I never said he hasn't. All of our players have this season. That doesn't mean that him and others haven't caused problems behind the scenes. The way that the season has gone, and the leaks coming out of the club, I fully believe that something has changed. Ronaldo is a big personality and things have gotten extremely toxic since he arrived. I believe he is part of the reason why. I will stand by that.

The United

Are you seriously comparing a last second winner to a goal to take us back to 1-1? They're not comparable in any way. The season is also dead now. Our season wasn't over during the West Ham game.

I'm imagining Ronaldo looking unhappy when it's not him that's scored and him having a meltdown at the Brentford game?

Of course he's had good and encouraging moments on the pitch. I never said he hasn't. All of our players have this season. That doesn't mean that him and others haven't caused problems behind the scenes. The way that the season has gone, and the leaks coming out of the club, I fully believe that something has changed. Ronaldo is a big personality and things have gotten extremely toxic since he arrived. I believe he is part of the reason why. I will stand by that.
You can stand by whatever you want.

I just pointed out that statement you made was not correct in that particular instance. But, you kept throwing other stuff into it. That's what I called moving the goal post.

El Jefe

Also worth noting that the team took to Zlatan when he arrived. He was a player with a big personality and a proven winner. He's done the same at AC Milan too. Could it be that Ronaldo is possibly going about raising the level of his teammates the wrong way?

I mean judging from how childish he acts on the pitch he could be really irritating behind closed doors. Not saying this is definitely the case but it has to be considered.

Tibs

We're even more pathetic with them in the team!

CloneMC16

You can stand by whatever you want.

I just pointed out that statement you made was not correct in that particular instance. But, you kept throwing other stuff into it. That's what I called moving the goal post.
You haven't in any way. You tried to tell me that scoring a last second winner is the same as scoring an equaliser in the middle of the match. Why would our players start celebrating like crazy when the game isn't over? The season is also over, and most of them probably give no fecks any more. The situations are completely different.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yet another example of what happens when you firmly drink the British journos' (e.g. Luckhurst) Kool-Aid.

The United

You haven't in any way. You tried to tell me that scoring a last second winner is the same as scoring an equaliser in the middle of the match. Why would our players start celebrating like crazy when the game isn't over? The season is also over, and most of them probably give no fecks any more. The situations are completely different.
No, you said that he was the only one who did not celebrate in that game. He did.

Then, you came up how he was VERY late to pat Rashford. You were using that instance to prove that Ronaldo was toxic or unhappy or whatever. So which one made you conclude whatever you are concluding; not celebrating at all (which did not happen) or VERY late patting Rashford?

CloneMC16

Yet another example of what happens when you firmly drink the British journos' (e.g. Luckhurst) Kool-Aid.
Please let me know which foreign journalists are acceptable sources if the British one's closest the club aren't credible?

No, you said that he was the only one who did not celebrate in that game. He did.

Then, you came up how he was VERY late to pat Rashford. You were using that instance to prove that Ronaldo was toxic or unhappy or whatever. So which one made you conclude whatever you are concluding; not celebrating at all (which did not happen) or VERY late patting Rashford?
He was very late to give Rashford a pat of the head. After the rest of our team went crazy after a last second winner. His behaviour when other players score goals is very subdued. You told me that the goalscorer is the one that celebrates like a mad man. That is not true, since every other player celebrated like that against West Ham.

Sorry that I'm not sucking Ronaldo's dick.

Last edited:

bakalhau

I don't have a firm point of view on whether his arrival has been negative or positive for the dressing room, I don't know enough about it myself and don't trust 90% of what's said about him around the media, I think both sides of the equation have some valid points too.

I do believe he has a big effect in every dressing room he's in, and that's for sure. I mean, this is what you get from him when stuff gets real:

He'll be impactful on one way or the other, who's at fault if the impact is negative though? It's hard to know. You could take that video and say he was terrible there and too aggressive, or say he was right in actually having the guts to admit they were crap out loud and the kind of thing that needed to be said.