Ronaldo is the goat

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Maradona's club career is one of the best ever in terms of peak performances. He spent his prime at Napoli, where he didn't have an All-Star Cast and still triumphed in the best league in the world against the best club side ever.

Also, the WC stands above the CL. Otherwise, we would be talking about Di Stefano being the GOAT.

Portugal 2004 and 2006 was easily more talented than Argentina 1986. The Portugal of this decade is similar in terms of talent to Argentina then.
They didn't have a peak Maradona though. Figo was slightly past his peak and Ronaldo was brand new. Also, 86 was smack in the middle of the best ever Argie world cup period from 78 to 90

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Maradona's club career is one of the best ever in terms of peak performances. He spent his prime at Napoli, where he didn't have an All-Star Cast and still triumphed in the best league in the world against the best club side ever.

Also, the WC stands above the CL. Otherwise, we would be talking about Di Stefano being the GOAT.

Portugal 2004 and 2006 was easily more talented than Argentina 1986. The Portugal of this decade is similar in terms of talent to Argentina then.
I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote in that post.

Napoli was hardly a shit team, and I rate Pep's Barca ahead of any team in Serie A back then. And let's not pretend that Maradona and Napoli did a Leicester back then, it was quite a good team who bunched above its weight but hardly a midtable team winning the league.

Ronaldo now has as many UCL as Di Stefano in a significantly more competitive competition (UCL needed almost 3 decades for a team to defend the title, in the old European Cup it happened all the time).

And there is no way that this Portugal team is as good as Maradona's Argentina. This team is pure shit. Portugal in the first half of last decade was as good if not better but Ronaldo was a baby back then.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Sometimes myths overcome reality.

Napoli had a fantastic squad composed by some of the best players of Serie A (and probably the world) at the time like António Careca, Alemão, Ciro Ferrara, De Napoli, Carnevale.

In fact, the year before they bought Careca and Alemão they already had Maradona and finished 8th.

Careca was a fantastic striker and Alemão was the best box-2-box the market could buy. Without Careca goals Napoli wouldn't had won crap.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not number of trophies but their worth. A player can win 10 league titles in France or Germany. Will mean nothing compared to CL or Euro.
Anybody who's ever won 2 WC beats him in that regard. Also Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller and the rest of those West Germany and Bayern teams, hands down

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Greatest peak: Messi.
Greatest player: Ronaldo.

el3mel

Anybody who's ever won 2 WC beats him in that regard. Also Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller and the rest of those West Germany and Bayern teams, hands down
It's not his responsibility that he's playing for a national team that will never be on the same level of Germany, Brazil, Argentina or Italy to be asked to win World Cup on his own.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he doing cocaine back then? If so, then he might not be able to get around the rules these days and may not be as great as he was.
He started doing coke in Barcelona, so not yet. And hey, if i'm cloning him now, i'd make damn sure he never gets caught :D

Red Stone

You think coke made him a better player? I take it you've never done coke!
I think he meant that a player constantly serving bans for drug use wouldn't be very effective for any team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not his responsibility that he's playing for a national team that will never be on the same level of Germany, Brazil, Argentina or Italy to be asked to win World Cup on his own.
It's really not. But clearly he's not had the most successull career in the sports history in terms of trophies won

el3mel

It's really not. But clearly he's not had the most successull career in the sports history in terms of trophies won
Arguably you have a point, but for the standard of his national team, hardly think he could have done anything better in his career.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Napoli was hardly a shit team, and I rate Pep's Barca ahead of any team in Serie A back then. And let's not pretend that Maradona and Napoli did a Leicester back then, it was quite a good team who bunched above its weight but hardly a midtable team winning the league.

Ronaldo now has as many UCL as Di Stefano in a significantly more competitive competition (UCL needed almost 3 decades for a team to defend the title, in the old European Cup it happened all the time).

And there is no way that this Portugal team is as good as Maradona's Argentina. This team is pure shit. Portugal in the first half of last decade was as good if not better but Ronaldo was a baby back then.
I agree with everything you said about Napoli, but the part about Argentina is BS. The '86 and '90 Argentina teams were rubbish. Maradona plus 10

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Arguably you have a point, but for the standard of his national team, hardly think he could have done anything better in his career.
Not saying otherwise

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
You think coke made him a better player? I take it you've never done coke!
I've done plenty enough of it, though can't say I've attempted to play football while on it. I did play while on adderall and it's definitely helped with my energy and awareness. I understand they're not exactly the same even though they're both uppers.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I think he meant that a player constantly serving bans for drug use wouldn't be very effective for any team.
Yep that was more at what I was getting at. But if my adderall experiences are anything to go by, I thought coke might have a positive affect on footballing ability.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
An opportunistic ambush apex predator who feeds by scavenging or ambushing prey and inflicting catastrophic damage with a single attack waiting for it to bleed to death

Only known natural enemies are transient tax authorities and Messi fanboys

Clearly he's not a goat, he's a great white shark
:lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Napoli had a fantastic squad composed by some of the best players of Serie A (and probably the world) at the time like António Careca, Alemão, Ciro Ferrara, De Napoli, Carnevale.

In fact, the year before they bought Careca and Alemão they already had Maradona and finished 8th.

Careca was a fantastic striker and Alemão was the best box-2-box the market could buy. Without Careca goals Napoli wouldn't had won crap.
Napoli signed Careca after winning serie A, and Alemao the year later, and Alemao was good but nothing like what you described

But yes, Maradona's Napoli sides were really good, nothing like Argentina

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree with everything you said about Napoli, but the part about Argentina is BS. The '86 and '90 Argentina teams were rubbish. Maradona plus 10
It was probably (in terms of a team) the worst team to win the World Cup (not counting pre WW2 World Cups and WC 1950/1954 for which I am not much informed, but still better than this Portugal team which is dogshit.

redchamp

Been saying this for a while, not just on the basis of these recent World Cup games. But have to say it does feel good that FINALLY he is getting the real recognition he deserves. Absolutely titanic

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was probably (in terms of a team) the worst team to win the World Cup (not counting pre WW2 World Cups and WC 1950/1954 for which I am not much informed, but still better than this Portugal team which is dogshit.
No fecking way. You could argue it's not worse, but better? Nope

Cal?

CR7 fan
So you're saying prime Ronaldo can't score? Doesn't create (Cristiano the creator is laughable)? Doesn't have a winning mentality? Christ you Cristiano-stans are deluded.

In terms of trophies, they are not something an individual can be judged on in an 11-a-side sport. If you mean personal accolades, then I have already conceded that under the longevity point. But if careers were judged on longevity then Sheringham should be in the discussion for best striker. Prime performance is what matters.
I'm saying Cristiano is BETTER at all those things.

Charles Miller

Goals, trophies, leadership, winning mentality, creativity, longevity, in fact I can’t name one single thing Luiz was better at than Cristiano except shit haircuts
Ronaldo Nazario managed to be top scorer and win a wc after his second serious knee injury. I doubt any player in the history can question his winning mentality.

You can say that CR7 is the best in the history due to his longevity in high level, but claiming CR7 is better than Ronaldo in terms of skills and creativity is simple ridiculous.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pele and Maradona played for big footballing nations (same with Messi). Portugal isn't anywhere near them in terms of talent or historical stature. Still, they have managed two Euro finals (one win) and a WC semi in 06. Who knows what they will add to that this year.
Not a lot, judging by today’s performance.

Josep Dowling

Goals, trophies, leadership, winning mentality, creativity, longevity, in fact I can’t name one single thing Luiz was better at than Cristiano except shit haircuts
Tend to agree his best years are one year at PSV, one year at Barcelona and his first season at Inter Milan. 3 seasons and one of those was in the Erdivisie. I know he had a bad kneee injury but Cristiano has been performing to a different level for over 10 consecutive years. And in Europe’s best competition.

If you base the GOAT on goals Cristiano wins, trophies Cristiano wins, longevity Cristiano wins, variety of goals, assists, influence, peak fitness, leadership.

For me C.Ronaldo and Messi are a cut above any other player that has ever lived. I have watched archived footage of Pelé, Cruyff and Maradona and it’s just nostalgia that clouds people judgements of these players.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nothing bar scoring twice as much goals, with a longer longevity and essentially leading his team to 5 more UCL than fat Ronaldo and 4 mode league titles. In each of the season he won one of this trophies, he also was the best player on his team and either best or second best player in Europe.

So I guess, nothing.
Absolutely nothing you've said there relates to how good at football either are. The goals comment even relates to length of career, not ability.

Cristiano people are obsessed with legacy, trophies, narratives, disregarding what they can see with their own eyes.

A discussion of this "goat" term is pathetic. Ability, performance, that's what matters. Cristiano is high on anyone's list on these terms, that there is no doubt about. But in order for him to even sniff the pinnacle, his fans need to tie-in trophies and 'mentality'.

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo Nazario managed to be top scorer and win a wc after his second serious knee injury. I doubt any player in the history can question his winning mentality.

You can say that CR7 is the best in the history due to his longevity in high level, but claiming CR7 is better than Ronaldo in terms of skills and creativity is simple ridiculous.
He also managed to win a single league title (in a team that has just won 3 UCL in the last 5 years without him) and no UCL in his career despite that he played for PSV, Barca, Inter, Real Madrid and Milano. To be fair, it is an achievement in itself to manage to win these few trophies playing for those teams for more than a decade.

Josep Dowling

Maybe not the Cristiano these days but do you remember him at United? He had all the skills in the world, for some peole he possessed too much and toned it down. And created the knuckle ball freekick on top of that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Absolutely nothing you've said there relates to how good at football either are. The goals comment even relates to length of career, not ability.

Cristiano people are obsessed with legacy, trophies, narratives, disregarding what they can see with their own eyes.

A discussion of this "goat" term is pathetic. Ability, performance, that's what matters. Cristiano is high on anyone's list on these terms, that there is no doubt about. But in order for him to even sniff the pinnacle, his fans need to tie-in trophies and 'mentality'.
Well, it is professional football where the goal is to win those trophies. They are hardly playing with their buddies in the street when the goal is to be flashy and enjoy themselves.

altodevil

He also managed to win a single league title (in a team that has just won 3 UCL in the last 5 years without him) and no UCL in his career despite that he played for PSV, Barca, Inter, Real Madrid and Milano. To be fair, it is an achievement in itself to manage to win these few trophies playing for those teams for more than a decade.
Football is an 11-a-side game ffs. Basing your opinions on the best to play on trophies is ludicrous.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
They didn't have a peak Maradona though. Figo was slightly past his peak and Ronaldo was brand new. Also, 86 smack in the middle of the best ever world cup period from 78 to 90
That period had some great sides competing for WC titles. Don't rate the 78 WC, but dunno why that would be relevant

I never said Napoli are a shit team, but the difference between them and the best club side ever (Milan) was much bigger than between Barca and Real personnel wise. Ronaldo never played in a team which didn't have one of the Top2 squads in the world.

Portugal 2018 is not a good side, but until 2016 Ronaldo had some very good players next to him

You are bigging up Careca while Milan had fecking Marco van Basten up front?

How could Alemao have been the best box 2 box on the market when Matthaus moved to Inter Milan in 1988?

Revan

Assumptionman
Football is an 11-a-side game ffs. Basing your opinions on the best to play on trophies is ludicrous.
Not less ridiculous than basing it on who was the flashier player.

If the thread was called that C Ronaldo was the most entertaining player of all time, you would have had a point.

altodevil

Not less ridiculous than basing it on who was the flashier player.

If the thread was called that C Ronaldo was the most entertaining player of all time, you would have had a point.
For what it's worth, I think Ronaldo (Brazil) was better than Cristiano, as is/was Messi, Maradona. I can't comment on the likes of Pele and Di Stefano because I never saw them play bar highlights. None of what I say is about flashiness. I actually agree with you in that regard.

Revan

Assumptionman
Portugal 2018 is not a good side, but until 2016 Ronaldo had some very good players next to him
Nah, the last great team of Portugal was in 2006. 2008 were decent with Simao and Nuno Gomez but hardly that great.

I would say though that Cristiano underperformed in 2010, and shouldn't have been at all in World Cup 4 years later.

Charles Miller

This is a non argument. None of those teams were dominant like Real Madrid today. Not even close.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Don't disagree but I don't find any point of this thread with the Messi v Ronaldo thread going in football forum.

Pretty hard in that thread when Messi fanboys come along and try to argue messi is better when he clearly isn’t. It’s not even up for debate now. CR7 is the greatest and has been for some time.