• Yes

Votes: 824 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 753 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEleson

The whole point is that 18 goals in the PL was amazing for a 37 year old. But for a top striker in their youth or prime, it's pretty standard. Would anyone be blown away by Haaland scoring 18 PL goals next season for example? I'd imagine he's looking for a lot more than that.
It’s not standard if only 2 players in the entire league are bettering that so it’s irrelevant bringing up what happened in previous seasons. There are so many variables that change from season to season.

And well Halaand is joining a significantly better team than the team Ronaldo played with last season. City create chances for absolute fun. Not comparable, really.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Could we actually get a fee for him? That'd be some serious icing for me.

Hes either leaving this summer or next, doesn't fit into a modern front 3 and has now had his swan song with us. Let him go.

Only downside would be the social media circus which I'm sure does actually have some dollar value to the club. But no way is that more than his salary!
Think our club needs a bit of quiet time to let the manager build his team how he thinks fit.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It’s not standard if only 2 players in the entire league are bettering that so it’s irrelevant bringing up what happened in previous seasons. There are so many variables that change from season to season.

And well Halaand is joining a significantly better team than the team Ronaldo played with last season. City create chances for absolute fun. Not comparable, really.
Ok, keep believing that 18 goals is a massive amount if you want to. It's up to you.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Look I’m not saying he’s not up there as he’s obviously been brilliant for us but he’s not the best player we’ve seen in a United shirt during his time for the club.
Who do you have as number one?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
This guy nails it

" Ten Hag is a classic Ajax coach; he plays hard-pressing football. Excluding centre-backs, Ronaldo attempted fewer pressures than any other outfield player in Europe’s top five leagues last season. Those two details do not – cannot – go together. There is a fundamental disconnect that cannot be reconciled. No coach who wants to play modern football can accommodate Ronaldo."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...o-manchester-united-departure-ten-hag-rebuild

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Huge loss; its his character in the dressing room but also his goals which will be irreplaceable. We now don't have a striker outside of Martial. Thats it. Martial/Rashford. We just lost 20 goals this season and you dont think thats a loss? You dont think Ronaldo could play in an ETH system? Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me. Yes we shouldnt be building a team around him at this stage of his career - but he was a perfect placeholder for us because we can't fix all our problems in one transfer window - especially when it looks like our budget is about £100-120m and 60 is going on FDJ. We're left with a backup leftback, a number 8, and a backup centre-half (Martinez) probably being our only signings - along with a possible backup midfielder (Eriksen). So this is last years squad, last year's characters, last years idiots who downed tools when they didn't like it - who literally REFUSED to implement Rangnick's system, wouldn't press for him - and the only ones who called them out - Rangnick - was sacked - and Ronaldo - basically forced out because the club wont invest properly.
this - and not the other stuff about his attitude or ego (neither of which is anywhere close to some other "stars" we've had recently - and got rid of thankfully)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Well you wanted evidence.

And that are the league goals only.
Season before Ronaldo, Bruno scored 18.
Season before that Rashford scored 17.

I could argue that was under Ole, whose philosophy of attacking football is non existant, just let them play and have fun...

We now have a hands on manager who clearly has a plan and is aiming to execute it.
The man is a winner, and he'll make our players winners as well.

I'm pretty confident that Marcus and Bruno can score 20 goals each without Ronaldo.
Obviously, I hope you're right. If you are, we'll finish top four. I'm afraid I don't see that happening

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Ronaldo at his prime led to the hiding of Benzema and Rooney.
That was as a LW.

As a ST the ‘hiding’ expands to a lot more to the team with him playing more centrally and older.
I honestly think that if Ronaldo had been LW last season and cavani the main striker, we would have made top four

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I hate contract rebels. If he was so particular about CL qualification or silverware as a minimum to stay he shd have factored those issues into his contract. I just suspect a lush wad has turned his head.

Mr PG

Premier league is hard...you need 11 players with maximum work-rate as you see with Harry Kane at Tottenham and Chelsea getting rid of Lukaku(he works hard but falls short on link-up play). Ronaldo is suited to a strong team that dominates possession like City or Madrid. I would like Ronaldo to leave for those reasons as well as the negative effect he has on Rashord/ Martial and Bruno through no fault of this own. I think Rashford/ Martial detest his guaranteed starter status. A lot like RVN who would score a ton but offer nothing else and we always looked better with Saha.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Huge loss; its his character in the dressing room but also his goals which will be irreplaceable. We now don't have a striker outside of Martial. Thats it. Martial/Rashford. We just lost 20 goals this season and you dont think thats a loss? You dont think Ronaldo could play in an ETH system? Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me.
This has to be the worst take ever. On the plus side he scored goals, although not enough to save the season from abject failure. That's not necessarily his fault of course.

On the minus side he disrupted the dressing room. He disrupted the already awful Ole playing style to the point of complete failure. He was only signed for commercial reasons. He made high press impossible under Ralf. He's a massive narcissist even if you are willing to overlook his brushes with the US courts. He clearly can't and won't play high press under ETH. Getting rid of him is a really good move if we are fortunate enough to find someone stupid enough to take him.

Joel Miller

What do you mean no evidence?

Season before that, Rashford scored 17.

What more evidence do you need?

They are certainly capable of scoring 20 goals per season in the right team.
Yeah but this doesn’t fit with the agenda they’re pushing where it’s all about Ronaldo and United are a distant second as far as priorities go. The teams second place finish prior to his arrival is to be ignored also! We should just beg him to stay and be grateful he did the honour of coming back to help the team to 6th place.

Varane around town

I think a lot of this is Ronaldo raging against the dying of the light.

I'm a big Ronaldo fans but he's a one dimensional player now and over Christmas when he had to play multiple games in quick succession he looked very very very tired.

I'm sure that Ronaldo could move to a better side this window but are any of the CL contenders going to want him? I doubt it.

If Bayern move on Lewandoski then Germany is an obvious choice. Brings a guarantee of lots of goals and another league title in another country.

PSG? Are PSG even stupid enough to build a team around a 35 year old Messi and a 37 year old Ronaldo?

Chelsea? They could use him but are Chelsea going to be challenging for the Prem and CL next season? I doubt it.

AC Milan? They love a old striker. I know they won Serie A last year but I'm not sure I'd call them an elite team.

Real...

Kopral Jono

Without Ronaldo
We were a better *team* without Ronaldo.
We scored more goals without Ronaldo
We conceded less
We went from 6th to 2nd

With Ronaldo
Our team fell apart
We scored fewer goals
We conceded more goals
We went from 2nd to 6th.
We also signed Sancho, one of the best English talents around, and Varane, one of the most experienced centre-halves in world football, on top of all the players we had when we finished second and reached the Europa League final the previous season. Yet it's somehow Ronaldo's fault, the same Ronaldo who single-handedly took us to the knockout stages in the Champions League and without whose goals things would have ended much worse, that we finished sixth last season. I'm not having that.

I couldn't care less if he leaves. If he wants out he should be let go -- there is no point in having a player who wants to leave the club around regardless of player stature. Cheerio. And I get that some Ronaldo fanboys are embarrassing, but to put the blame of our misfortunes last season on him rather than on the combined managerial genius of Ole and to an extent Rangnick is delusional.

Josh 76

The problem with Ronaldo is he thinks he’s still the player he was 10 years ago.

He would be a great squad player for a top team. Anything else, he’s finished at the top level.

justsomebloke

You make a fair point but I just think we may as well clear out any and all who don't want to be here right now and go from there, it's going to take 2-3 seasons realistically before we can reasonably expect a top 4 challenge anyway so if losing Ronaldo means that adds another season I'd take that if it means we're genuinely starting from scratch, he'd have gone next season anyway and I do think we could become a better overall team without him, which may be controversial but that's my opinion.
That's a fair point too. There's some upside either way. But it's kind of a test of how committed the owners are to this club being competitive. If we're embarking on a 2-3 year rebuild, they better make that clear.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I hate contract rebels. If he was so particular about CL qualification or silverware as a minimum to stay he shd have factored those issues into his contract. I just suspect a lush wad has turned his head.
Ronaldo is one of the only players whose wage will not be affected by missing the CL.

Ladron de redcafe

He’s Ronald’s mate. Best player that’s ever lived. Not your usual 37 year old.
His 7 time balón dors winning contemporary is well above him, but that's another story.

The idea that good old Ronaldo is doing this to get the glazers to sell is just laughable.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Unpopular opinion maybe, but didn’t Utd as a team score a ton more goals last season than this one? I don’t think anyone will step up and directly replace his 24 goals but I think as a team you’ll make up the difference.

MrEleson

The problem with Ronaldo is he thinks he’s still the player he was 10 years ago.

He would be a great squad player for a top team. Anything else, he’s finished at the top level.
18 league goals (3rd top scorer in the PL) for arguably the worst United side ever. 6 in 6 in the CL before the KO rounds with all being game winning or game tying goals. He’s far from finished.

Josh 76

18 league goals (3rd top scorer in the PL) for arguably the worst United side ever. 6 in 6 in the CL before the KO rounds with all being game winning or game tying goals. He’s far from finished.
Let me put it in other words.

I said he can a be a squad player for a top team. Not a regular starter. He’s finished at being the main man. Even at Utd he was poor in a lot of games. He peaked in about 10 games, which he scored majority of his goals.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Think at this stage in his career he has just got to the stage where he is terrified Messi will overtake his CL scoring record. That is what it has come to.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why is it we’ve not had a proper striker for years, I mean a young one we can develop, since fergie left it seems we’ve gone for short term options upfront just to try and get us through a season and end it with a trophy. We’ve had ibra, ighalo, cavani, Ronaldo. Think it’s time we take this position serious… scout South America for some talent, they normally have some young strikers with lots of potential.

Ladron de redcafe

The "worst United side ever" (laughable claim given that United were relegated in the 70s) finished 2nd without him and played much better without him.

DomesticTadpole

Why is it we’ve not had a proper striker for years, I mean a young one we can develop, since fergie left it seems we’ve gone for short term options upfront just to try and get us through a season and end it with a trophy. We’ve had ibra, ighalo, cavani, Ronaldo. Think it’s time we take this position serious… scout South America for some talent, they normally have some young strikers with lots of potential.
They were probably hoping Greenwood was going to be, they previously hoped the likes of Wilson and Keane would be until injuries hampered them them from playing at the top level.

Godfather

Well you wanted evidence.

And that are the league goals only.
Season before that Rashford scored 17.

I could argue that was under Ole, whose philosophy of attacking football is non existant, just let them play and have fun...

We now have a hands on manager who clearly has a plan and is aiming to execute it.
The man is a winner, and he'll make our players winners as well.

I'm pretty confident that Marcus and Bruno can score 20 goals each without Ronaldo.
I'm not sure Rashford is made for ETH's football at all.

Wilt

People really have little faith in the new manager.

If he could make Haller and Tadić score goals i'm quite certain he'll make Rashford and Bruno score goals.

Not to mention Sancho and the possible adition of Antony.

Rashford and Bruno with 20 each, Sancho and Antony with 10 and that's 60 goals.

It's not like Ronaldo made some sick numbers in attack, he what, scored 18 goals?
Rashford & Bruno to return 40 goals is pure fantasy.

TheRedHearted

Real were smart enough to sell him when his value was high but he was starting to lose the edge. Should have been the first red flag for us or any serious club chasing them. No chance they’ll take him back, 0.
It was a joke about the first time he wanted to leave. Flew rigut over

Greck

We'll be fine without just as we were the years before. Yes, years, even if the 2nd place was a fluke we weren't exactly finishing 6th every year. We aren't title winners but we aren't garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.