Ronaldo vs Ronaldo

ju_

I don’t think nostalgia plays much of a part, it’s not THAT long ago and I can remember it just fine. Here are some of the defenders present at the 1998 World Cup

Cafu
Roberto Carlos
Paolo Maldini
Alessandro Costacurta
Fabio Cannavaro
Alessandro Nesta
Gianluca Pessotto
Bixente lizarazu
Marcel Desailly
Lilian Thuram
Laurent Blanc
Carlos Gamarra
Fernando Hierro
Miguel Nadal
Jaap Stam
Frank de boer
Jurgen Kohler
A very old Lothar Matthaus
Sinisa Mijhalovic
Ivan Cordoba
Sol Campbell
Tony Adams
Roberto Ayala
Javier zanetti

You can make a case for maybe 3 defenders from the modern day making it into that list and not one of them gets into the top 10.
I don't get it. Ronaldo only played against the Netherlands with Stam and de boer and France with Lizarazu, Desailly, Thuram and Blanc and he only scored once against the Netherlands.

In general i also don't understand the Seria A argument. His best season in terms of scorer was his first season where he was surpassed by Bierhoff.

youngrell

Yeh maybe. I just checked Figo's last year with NT as possibly the last time they played together.

Turns out according to Portuguese posters, Figo just saying many lip service of who's the best.
No, I meant Brazilian Ronaldo was only 19 when he played with Figo during his peak, so it is absolutely fine to be comparing him to a 21 year old C Ronaldo playing for Portugal.

I know Figo played with later Ronaldo at RM too, but that was post injury Ronaldo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Your stats shows that Fat Ron is clearly above the rest to me. More goals in less games. Also what happened to the two year period and including the years after injury? Also I believe you are comparing the wrong players, just look at the the best years you are comparing with. You should be comparing Fat Ron with Batistuta, Vieri, Shearer, Anelka and Cole, you know the actual top strikers during his time.
Really? Are you that thick or what? You don't see 30-40% gap difference in Ronaldo/Messi era, but you only see the 0% to few % gap difference in R9 era? There is no noticeable difference between R9 and other top goalscorer over his career active period in terms of goalscoring, you only want to do 2 prime years period comparison only? and ignore the rest? or even only limited the criteria to pre-injury period only, exclude other players prime seasons in unfair manner with R9 injury as cut-off line, even they are only few years apart? Why need to do that? Really?

1. Prime years comparison over career (in same overlapped period over R9 career, 1996 to 2008, exclude lower league, only compare 2 peak years to suit R9 pre-injury peak)

R9
96-97: 47 gaols in 49 games
97-98: 34 goals in 47 games
Total: 81 goals in 96 games (0% gap difference)

Henry
03-04: 39 goals in 49 games
05-06: 33 goals in 45 games
Total: 72 goals in 104 games

Ruud
02-03: 44 goals in 52 games
01-02: 36 goals in 49 games
Total: 80 goals in 101 games

Etoo
10-11: 37 goals in 53 games
08-09: 36 goals in 52 games
Total: 71 goals in 105 games

2. Prime years comparison over pre-injury period only (R9 pre-injury active period of 2 years specifically as a cut-off line, limited to 1993-1999 period, exclude lower league)

R9
Total: 81 goals in 96 games (10% gap difference)

Shearer
95-96: 37 goals in 48 games
94-95: 37 goals in 49 games
Total: 72 goals in 97 games

Ok. I hope you satisfy now. If we compare R9 pre-injured peak years only, he is 0% better than other players peak over their overlapped career period.
Even when comparing in the most unfair manner to all other players, exclude all those peak years for other players not in the exact same R9 pre-injured period which suit to R9 only, R9 only managed to do it 10% better. Yet still lagging far behind CR7/Messi with 30-40% gap difference.

Lastly, Serie A comparison over similar period, peak year only (as R9 only played 1 full Serie A season pre-injury)

R9
97-98: 34 goals in 47 games (0% gap difference)

Shevchenko
00-01: 34 goals in 51 games

Batistuta
94-95: 28 goals in 37 games

Signori
92-93: 32 goals in 38 games

Inzaghi
02-03: 30 goals in 49 games

Last edited:

killerboi2

Cristiano Ronaldo. his career completely obliterates Fat Ronaldos. To me it even comes across as somewhat disrespectful to even compare C Ronaldo (a player that worked so hard to maintain a high level) to players that didn't fulfill their potential. Nevertheless, peak for peak it is pretty close as well. C Ronaldo's peak (07-08 imo) was amazing. Put him in any good team and it's likely that you're going to win the double.

djembatheking

Too many feckin stats , probably cos a lot on here didn't see R9 play live and only have youtube clips . For me , R9 was by far the most exciting to watch live .

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Very good point but it's possible that the quality of strikers/forwars had hugely improved between 1991 and 1998:

- Foreign stars: Bierhoff, Batistuta, Rui Costa
- Italian ones: Totti, Del Piero, Chiesa, Mancini, Inzaghi, Vieri, Toni, Montella, Hubner...

Or the coaches were more offensive in 97/98 than in 90/91
Or the defensive players were less good in the late 90s: hard to believe in it

@giorno has an opinion on this matter
Heh. Changes in rules made football more attack-oriented in general. Inter's gameplan with Ronaldo revolved around "sit-deep, defend, and let Ronaldo win by himself"

Ronaldo was the most talented player i've ever seen. He was the best 20-21-22 year old player in the history of the sport, with maybe the exception of Pelé

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Where is @Cal?

Has Bierhoff been brought up yet?

youngrell

Really? Are you that thick or what? You don't see 30-40% gap difference in Ronaldo/Messi era, but you only see the 0% to few % gap difference in R9 era? There is no noticeable difference between R9 and other top goalscorer over his career active period in terms of goalscoring, you only want to do 2 prime years period comparison only? and ignore the rest? or even only limited the criteria to pre-injury period only, exclude other players prime seasons in unfair manner with R9 injury as cut-off line, even they are only few years apart? Why need to do that? Really?

1. Fair comparison: Prime years comparison over career (in same overlapped period over R9 career, 1996 to 2008, exclude lower league)

R9
Total: 81 goals in 96 games (0% gap difference)

Henry
03-04: 39 goals in 49 games
05-06: 33 goals in 45 games
Total: 72 goals in 104 games

Ruud
02-03: 44 goals in 52 games
01-02: 36 goals in 49 games
Total: 80 goals in 101 games

Etoo
10-11: 37 goals in 53 games
08-09: 36 goals in 52 games
Total: 71 goals in 105 games

2. Unfair comparison: Prime years comparison over pre-injury period only (R9 pre-injury active period specifically, limited to 1993-1999 period, exclude lower league)

R9
Total: 81 goals in 96 games (10% gap difference)

Shearer
95-96: 37 goals in 48 games
94-95: 37 goals in 49 games
Total: 72 goals in 97 games

Ok. I hope you satisfy now. If we compare R9 pre-injured peak years only, he is 0% better than other players peak over their overlapped career period.
Even when comparing in the most unfair manner to all other players, exclude all those peak years for other players not in the exact same R9 pre-injured period which suit to R9 only, R9 only managed to do it 10% better. Yet still lagging far behind CR7/Messi with 30-40% gap difference.

Lastly, Serie A comparison over similar period, peak year only

R9
97-98: 34 goals in 47 games (0% gap difference)

Shevchenko
00-01: 34 goals in 51 games

Batistuta
94-95: 28 goals in 37 games

Signori
92-93: 32 goals in 38 games

Inzaghi
02-03: 30 goals in 49 games
The one thing you're failing to consider when doing these comparisons is L. Ronaldo's age. You are comparing his 20-22 years old period with other's absolute prime years, of which he was robbed of by injury. It is not difficult to speculate that he would have increased the gap over his peers had he not been so absolutely ruined by his knee injuries, especially when you consider he still maintained a similar level to them despite the injuries.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The one thing you're failing to consider when doing these comparisons is L. Ronaldo's age. You are comparing his 20-22 years old period with other's absolute prime years, of which he was robbed of by injury. It is not difficult to speculate that he would have increased the gap over his peers had he not been so absolutely ruined by his knee injuries, especially when you consider he still maintained a similar level to them despite the injuries.
Yeh I get what you mean, Owen could have been best player in his era when we are watching him playing as 20-22 years old, Jones could have been new Edwards, Bale could have emulated Ronaldo, heck even Morrison could have been better payer than Pogba.

Sure R9 is the best 20-22 year old I've ever have seen too, could have better career if not for the injuries. We can speculate all day, but it doesn't mean much, a lot of great Brazilian players didn't maintained their peak long enough, or play consistently well over years in their career too as we all may expected. We never know, as it never happened.

Last edited:

youngrell

Yeh I get what you mean, Owen could have been best player in his era when we are watching him playing as 20-22 years old, Jones could have been new Edwards, Bale could have emulated Ronaldo, heck even Morrison could have been better payer than Pogba.

Sure R9 is the best 20-22 year old I've ever have seen too, could have better career if not for the injuries. We can speculate all day, but it doesn't mean much, a lot of great Brazilian players didn't maintained their peak long enough, or play consistently well over years in their career too as we all may expected. We never know, as it never happened.
But that's what I'm saying, it did happen, inspite of terrible injuries he was still one of the best players in the world for an extended period, but was never able to reach his true potential because of said injuries.

None of the others you mentioned showed anything like the promise and ability he did, sure they looked great and had great careers, but they were not one offs like this guy.

Matt007a

I think it's a bit silly to compare Ronaldo to his peers purely on goalscoring. He had so much more to his game than that. Bierhoff outscored him in Italy, but he didn't pick the ball up in nothing areas and run past 3/4/5 players to create something. He didn't drag multiple markers with him wherever he went to free up others. I'm not knocking Bierhoff because he was an excellent striker, but Ronaldo was playing at a different level entirely.

It's also worth noting he played in 4 different leagues with 4 different languages in the space of about 5 years, while still being a teenager who was pretty new to the game. No time to adapt or bed in to those leagues or the styles of football. He just destroyed teams wherever he went from day one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But that's what I'm saying, it did happen, inspite of terrible injuries he was still one of the best players in the world for an extended period, but was never able to reach his true potential because of said injuries.

None of the others you mentioned showed anything like the promise and ability he did, sure they looked great and had great careers, but they were not one offs like this guy.
Sure, but I am not saying those players will become GOAT type of players. But they all could have been better players, with better career, if not for injuries or other factors too. We never know. For a start, we never know how consistent the exciting young player could have performed been over time, or length of peak young exciting players could have maintained, with or without injury. That can never been foreseen judging from raw talents or potential, or sample of few years top or worldclass performance alone. Sometimes, exiting young talent or world beaters, who start their career brightly, may regress over time too (Owen, Balotelli, Denilson, Robinho, Pato etc). Also, opponents could have study his game well over time, and man-marked him more effectively which may limited his performances in later years etc. Its not that simple and straightforward. There's reason why there are so few names in football history who could maintained their peak for so long.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
So instead of basing this discussion what what happened, you’re basing it on what could have been?

youngrell

So instead of basing this discussion what what happened, you’re basing it on what could have been?
What are you talking about? I was merely pointing out that comparing a 20 year old L. Ronaldo to a 24/25 year old Shevchenko, Batistuta, Signori or a 29 year old Inzaghi isn't really a fair comparison. And on top of that, it's simply comparing goal scoring stats when there's far more to consider when looking at a player like Ronaldo.

And he continued to match these peers despite serious setbacks. Can we not speculate that he would have been even better had he not had those horrific injuries?

youngrell

Sure, but I am not saying those players will become GOAT type of players. But they all could have been better players, with better career, if not for injuries or other factors too. We never know. For a start, we never know how consistent the exciting young player could have performed been over time, or length of peak young exciting players could have maintained, with or without injury. That can never been foreseen judging from raw talents or potential, or sample of few years top or worldclass performance alone. Sometimes, exiting young talent or world beaters, who start their career brightly, may regress over time too (Owen, Balotelli, Denilson, Robinho, Pato etc). Also, opponents could have study his game well over time, and man-marked him more effectively which may limited his performances in later years etc. Its not that simple and straightforward. There's reason why there are so few names in football history who could maintained their peak for so long.
But he maintained world class performances, unlike the others. That is how good he was.

I don't get it. Ronaldo only played against the Netherlands with Stam and de boer and France with Lizarazu, Desailly, Thuram and Blanc and he only scored once against the Netherlands.

In general i also don't understand the Seria A argument. His best season in terms of scorer was his first season where he was surpassed by Bierhoff.
In Serie A he joined a poor team and spent his first season adapting but still came second in the scoring charts. In his second season the injuries started. He barely played at the beginning and really only got a run of matches at the end where he was scoring at a rate of one a game, at a time when that didn't happen. Then in the third season his knee went and that was the end.

People who are too young to have watched him just see Bierhoff (who was the definition of a flat track bully that year) as top scorer in 98 and assume he wasn't very good. Does Suarez outscoring Ronaldo AND Messi mean he's better than them both?

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
You are missing the point mate. Fenomeno was THAT good. Those things DID happen. He torn apart 3 leagues in his teens and was head and shoulders above the rest. At the same time he was tearing it for the national team as well. Cristiano never reached his level internationally, that's not debatable. Fenomeno has scored 15 goals in 15 games at the WC. And not even the peak one, but the marred with injuries in 02 and the fat one in 06. Cristiano has 7 in 17 and zero in KO stages. It is what it is.

If you use the Portugal excuse then all the other goal comparisons with Fenomeno's Barca and Inter are out of the window since neither of those teams were close to the world class teams Cristiano played at club level.

You can't have it both ways.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You are missing the point mate. Fenomeno was THAT good. Those things DID happen. He torn apart 3 leagues in his teens and was head and shoulders above the rest. At the same time he was tearing it for the national team as well. Cristiano never reached his level internationally, that's not debatable. Fenomeno has scored 15 goals in 15 games at the WC. And not even the peak one, but the marred with injuries in 02 and the fat one in 06. Cristiano has 7 in 17 and zero in KO stages. It is what it is.

If you use the Portugal excuse then all the other goal comparisons with Fenomeno's Barca and Inter are out of the window since neither of those teams were close to the world class teams Cristiano played at club level.

You can't have it both ways.
That's pretty much it. Cristiano Ronaldo's (rightfully) legendary status isn't based on his peak performances but on his ridiculous consistency. The most impressive aspect about him in fact are his statistics. It is an incredible achievement to maintain this level for so long and it is his way to overcome many other greats who were generally better football players than him but his peak for me was in his last United and first Madrid years. And yes, those were thrilling performances but not Fenomeno type of staff.

Enigma_87

You know who

Inter was a mess at the time Ronaldo joined. They changed 4 managers in the course of a year. Had only two top players reaching, or at their peak - Zanetti and Djorkaeff. In all those Inter games, Ronaldo was the whole attack. He had partners like and Ganz, Branca. People cite Zamorano but he only managed 13 games in his first season, Kanu 11, Recoba barely managed a couple.

Ronaldo didn't have a solid partner, practically he was the star and had to do everything in attack whilst the managers were throwing names in the line up next to him.

If you look at the goalscorers that season:

Serie A[edit]
That's how big the gap was between him and everyone else in attack.

They had a clown at helm as well - Simoni - who after his stint at Inter got sacked in his next 7 jobs in a row and never made it past the second year in management.

If you take all this into account, the quality of Serie A, the team that Juve had(probably the best in their entire history), managed by Lippi non the less, quality spread all throughout the teams, with managerial names like Capello, Zeman, Ancelotti, Boskov, Guidolin, Spalletti and how poor that Inter team was, Fenomeno was doing something phenomenal at the time(pun intended).

After a winter slump, he himself raised the team to mount a challenge and should have won the title that year. Goals against Atalanta, Milan, Vicenza, Sampdoria, 2 against Roma at Olimpico, Udinese led to the deciding fixture against Juve where this happened:

perhaps one of the biggest robberies in the 90's.

Inter were hard done, which led to losing point at home to Piacenza and Bari(with Ronaldo opening the score there).

So, yes, there is a reason for the Seria A argument. Personally if Inter did pull that Scudetto that would be probably the greatest individual achievement I've seen for a player in a season so far. Also bear in mind it was Fenomeno's first season there, coming from Spain and Holland - two very different leagues previously. It didn't really matter for him of course, he hit the ground running everywhere he went at his peak..

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
That's pretty much it. Cristiano Ronaldo's (rightfully) legendary status isn't based on his peak performances but on his ridiculous consistency. The most impressive aspect about him in fact are his statistics. It is an incredible achievement to maintain this level for so long and it is his way to overcome many other greats who were generally better football players than him but his peak for me was in his last United and first Madrid years. And yes, those were thrilling performances but not Fenomeno type of staff.
Aye, I'm not even debating who will go down as the greater player. Cristiano is streets ahead in his fitness level and consistency over the years. He might as well have the best club career for a player alongside Di Stefano, Pele, Messi, Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Muller..

But for peak one, having witnessed them both, I'll still take Fenomeno.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Cristiano Ronaldo was better. I think he would have evolved different at United but it's crazy. You never could have imagined that kid could score every type of goal including headers. So incredibly brave. I know how good Ronaldo was, but put Christiano in that Brazil side and I don't think we can say it would hurt Brazil dramatically. I don't think so. Technically Ronado was better because Christiano had crazy bursts of energy and let things go to his head to much but his record speaks for itself.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But he maintained world class performances, unlike the others. That is how good he was.
We already did all the comparison already, pre-injury, post injury, peak years, over his whole career.

R9 has been world class for around 4 years during his whole career. He has peaked during his pre-inury year (1996-1998), when he was 20-22, easily best in the world at that time.

He was unlucky with injuries (23-26 years old). Only played 52 games over that period, and scored 25 goals. We can all agree he loss some of his explosiveness after his injuries, and wasted few years of playing time of which could have groomed his peak level and improved his career even more.

He wasn't really the best forward in the world over the the majority of 2000's post-injury. Still great and maintained world class level in 02-04 (27-28 year old), but his performances started to drop when he reach 28-29, started to fade fast after he start getting overweight when he reach 29~30 years old. Once he entered early 30~32 years of age (the same age when we see Messi/Ronaldo still scoring 40-50 goals and winning everything), his overweight problem got worse and his performances got really bad, it was embarrassing to watch him fall so quick. Finally he got injured again, and at 32, he's done in top level football. He spent another 3 years playing in Brazil, but he was done and retiring.

He only managed to score around 120 goals in 213 games over 2000's period. I would have Henry (275 goals), Ruud (257 goals), Etoo (253 goals) and Shevchenko (168 goals) all above him during that period.

Yes he was very unlucky with injuries, but we can only compare what he has achieved, instead of speculate how good he could have been.

Of course, its more than just goals (pre-injury period). He was breathtaking to watch, unstoppable, he make goals out of nothing, his raw talents and potential is on another level than any other young player I've seen. But that was really short-lived. I personally enjoyed watching Ronaldinho's peak even more. But I do think R9 is the best 20-22 years old I've ever seen. But when compare to CR7, regardless of their career, I would also say CR7 was the best 30-34 years old I've ever seen too, which is both valid in same manner, to be fair. Career-wise, or in everything else other than raw talent and peak performances, it isn't really up for comparison.

Revan

Assumptionman
Posters here falling into the usual trap of considering stats without context.

If C Ronaldo is that much better as a scorer, could you please explain this:
Brazilian Ronaldo for Brazil: 62 goals in 98 games = 0.63 per game
Portuguese Ronaldo for Portual: 85 goals in 154 games = 0.55 per game
Cristiano was never number 9 for Portugal, and Portugal wasn't ever near as good as Brazil.

Revan

Assumptionman
I agree with you and I will copy/paste a post I wrote in 2017 to feed the discussion

Serie A Context

97/98: Ronaldo scored 40 goals with Inter Milan - all competitions - with a dysfunctional team (for many reasons). Zamorano & Djorkaeff were able to score some goals but let's be clear: the only offensive threat was Ronaldo. No collective play. Add the fact that refereeing has changed since (except France) to protect talented players subject to assaults. Seria A was the best league in Europe.

Top scorers Inter Milan in Serie A - 1997-98

• Ronaldo 25 goals
  • Youri Djorkaeff 8 goals
  • Diego Simeone 6 goals
  • Álvaro Recoba 3 goals
  • Zamorano: 1 goal

98/02 - 4 seasons - he scored 24 goals with Inter in 40 games only because of 2 main major injuries.

Despite these major injuries - resulting in a decline of his capacities - he scored 9 goals in 10 games with Brazil and won the WC in 2002.

2002/06: he was still a high-performing striker with Real: 83 goals + 18 assists in 127 LaLiga games.

#Context
Was this the season when he got outscored from Oliver Bierhoff, who was playing for the mighty Udinese?

Deleted member 101472

It was just a list to highlight the general gulf in class of defenders back then compared to the 2010s

Cal?

CR7 fan
What are you talking about? I was merely pointing out that comparing a 20 year old L. Ronaldo to a 24/25 year old Shevchenko, Batistuta, Signori or a 29 year old Inzaghi isn't really a fair comparison. And on top of that, it's simply comparing goal scoring stats when there's far more to consider when looking at a player like Ronaldo.

And he continued to match these peers despite serious setbacks. Can we not speculate that he would have been even better had he not had those horrific injuries?
You are certainly entitled to speculate, in fact, go open a thread on "what could have happened" regarding L Ronaldo and/or any other player who had their career cut short for whatever reason.

The point, however, is that in this thread that compares Cristiano with his namesake, it's ridiculous to base your view on Luiz based on what you think he could have achieved instead of what he did achieve.

Deleted member 101472

You are certainly entitled to speculate, in fact, go open a thread on "what could have happened" regarding L Ronaldo and/or any other player who had their career cut short for whatever reason.

The point, however, is that in this thread that compares Cristiano with his namesake, it's ridiculous to base your view on Luiz based on what you think he could have achieved instead of what he did achieve.
That’s the power of extrapolation cal, there’s a fairly large sample size to base the opinion off.

Revan

Assumptionman
Was R9 actually better than Ronaldinho? Achievement wise, I think that Ronaldinho might have been ahead (he actually won UCL and a few league titles, both won a World Cup when neither was (officially) the best player on it, and while R9's biggest arguments seem to be being unplayable on his day and being exciting, Ronaldinho at least matches him in the first and totally surpasses on the second.

And as we all know, Ronaldinho was nowhere as good as Cristiano.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That’s the power of extrapolation cal, there’s a fairly large sample size to base the opinion off.
That kind of extrapolation serves nothing, it's a bit like Germany and Japan would have won WWII based on the ease they conquered France and NE China respectively.

Deleted member 101472

That kind of extrapolation serves nothing, it's a bit like Germany and Japan would have won WWII based on the ease they conquered France and NE China respectively.
Quite possibly the most unexpected analogy of all time :lol:

youngrell

You've got me wrong, I am saying that L.Ronaldo at his absolute best (that we got to see) was better than the best version of C.Ronaldo, and he more than likely would have become even better had he not picked up the serious injuries.

C.Ronaldo has undoubtedly the better career, no argument there, but L.Ronaldo was a better player in the short period where he had all his physical prowess. It is a shame we didn't get to see him with that physical prowess aligned with experience later on, then there would be no debate whatsoever.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Quite possibly the most unexpected analogy of all time :lol:
He was great at 20, therefore he must be even better at 25, despite the fact plenty of players never hit the same heights they did earlier in their career.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It is pretty funny that a 34 year old Cristiano will most likely be the first Ronaldo to be the top goalscorer in Serie A.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You've got me wrong, I am saying that L.Ronaldo at his absolute best (that we got to see) was better than the best version of C.Ronaldo, and he more than likely would have become even better had he not picked up the serious injuries.

C.Ronaldo has undoubtedly the better career, no argument there, but L.Ronaldo was a better player in the short period where he had all his physical prowess. It is a shame we didn't get to see him with that physical prowess aligned with experience later on, then there would be no debate whatsoever.
Do please specify which season or which period this supposedly amazing Luiz Ronaldo played? His Barca season or his Inter season?

Cristiano destroyed the top competition in Europe multiple times, compare that to Luiz never even winning the CL once. Don't give me the Cristiano had better team mates excuse. Luiz played with Zidane, Figo & co.

Revan

Assumptionman
It is pretty funny that a 34 year old Cristiano will most likely be the first Ronaldo to be the top goalscorer in Serie A.
Yeah, but he is not going against the mighty Oliver Bierhoff (for Udinese).

youngrell

Do please specify which season or which period this supposedly amazing Luiz Ronaldo played? His Barca season or his Inter season?

Cristiano destroyed the top competition in Europe multiple times, compare that to Luiz never even winning the CL once. Don't give me the Cristiano had better team mates excuse. Luiz played with Zidane, Figo & co.
The two seasons you've mentioned, at Barcelona and Inter. Where both teams weren't even in the CL so how do expect him to win it? But guess what, they did win the European competitions they were in.

It's a very thin gap between them, and of course it comes down to your preferences, but for me, L.Ronaldo was the better player.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hasn’t Ronaldo only played in 6 CL seasons? I recall one for Inter and then the mess at Real Madrid for 4 seasons. Maybe two for Inter? Not sure if he got on the pitch at Milan in the CL.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Inter was a mess at the time Ronaldo joined. They changed 4 managers in the course of a year. Had only two top players reaching, or at their peak - Zanetti and Djorkaeff. In all those Inter games, Ronaldo was the whole attack. He had partners like and Ganz, Branca. People cite Zamorano but he only managed 13 games in his first season, Kanu 11, Recoba barely managed a couple.

Ronaldo didn't have a solid partner, practically he was the star and had to do everything in attack whilst the managers were throwing names in the line up next to him.

If you look at the goalscorers that season:

Serie A[edit]
That's how big the gap was between him and everyone else in attack.

They had a clown at helm as well - Simoni - who after his stint at Inter got sacked in his next 7 jobs in a row and never made it past the second year in management.

If you take all this into account, the quality of Serie A, the team that Juve had(probably the best in their entire history), managed by Lippi non the less, quality spread all throughout the teams, with managerial names like Capello, Zeman, Ancelotti, Boskov, Guidolin, Spalletti and how poor that Inter team was, Fenomeno was doing something phenomenal at the time(pun intended).

After a winter slump, he himself raised the team to mount a challenge and should have won the title that year. Goals against Atalanta, Milan, Vicenza, Sampdoria, 2 against Roma at Olimpico, Udinese led to the deciding fixture against Juve where this happened:

perhaps one of the biggest robberies in the 90's.

Inter were hard done, which led to losing point at home to Piacenza and Bari(with Ronaldo opening the score there).

So, yes, there is a reason for the Seria A argument. Personally if Inter did pull that Scudetto that would be probably the greatest individual achievement I've seen for a player in a season so far. Also bear in mind it was Fenomeno's first season there, coming from Spain and Holland - two very different leagues previously. It didn't really matter for him of course, he hit the ground running everywhere he went at his peak..
Top goalscorers in Serie A for Juve this season...

Cristiano Ronaldo - 18
Mandzukic - 8
Dybala- 2

Not that far away from Inter’s 97/98 :lol:

In the 1997/98 season R9 scored or assisted 47% of all Inter goals in Serie A, in 2017/18 Cristiano has scored or assisted 50% of all Juventus goals in Serie A. Is he playing with a shit team too then? That’s just not the right way to look at it.

Also, robbery? That’s never a penalty... perfect refereeing. I’d love to know your opinion on the 2011/12 La Liga run in if you believe that R9 sequence in 1998 was impressive.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Dybala only has 2 goals? Goddamn he’s shit.

Shinjch

Also, robbery? That’s never a penalty... I’d love to know your opinion on the 2011/12 La Liga run in if you believe that R9 sequence in 1998 was impressive.
You really don't think that was a foul? I don't see how it can't be considered a foul.