Rooney Charged: Faces Two Match Ban for cursing | Appeal lost

mjs020294

It would be funny if the crowd all held up a piece of A4 with "feck off FA" at the Fulham game.

Aaron

Listening to Talksport..

how many times will Ray Parlour say "He's done his tawkin' on the pitch."

Devils Advocate

Statement from SAF has just been released -

'we needed a fair FA today... well, a strong one anyway, but we didn't get that'.

Rumours are that the FA will respond by issuing him with a 20 match touchline ban, stop his horse from running The National this weekend and arrange for his Royal Wedding invite to be retracted.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This is the passage:

So basically anyone can be done for anything, so long as a sufficient media crusade is launched to whip said non-incident into a frenzy

In fact they really ought to scrap their passage and use my far more relevant one instead
It's only the BBC who seem to have embarked on this embarassingly obvious anti Rooney/United crusade though. No one else could give a feck.

and even so, they CHOSE to show the incident in full several hours after it had happened, and then sat there criticising Rooney for choosing to say it. I mean, what the feck?

In anycase, I don't see why the FA should be allowed to hide behind media pressure. If they can't perform their function with any integrity, it doesn't really matter why...it's more important that they're simply stopped and replaced by someone who can...but this is something which should have happened five years ago, so apparently it isn't going to happen and we're effectively stuck with a self corrupted governing body.

Unless people actually believe everyone at the FA is doing an honest job and simply change their minds from one day to the next in the way not a single other person or organisation on the planet does.

Devils Advocate

Grant gets 2 match ban as well!
The FA are acting like a really shit supply teacher.

They fail to control the classroom and the kids run amok with no discipline or guidance. They resolve to toughen up but spectacularly feck it up by going over the top and coming down hard on anyone who does anything at all out of line. This in turn makes people question their competence and as a result no one has any respect for them at all. Thus, in time, their control over the classroom again withers when they give up trying to be tough and nothing at all has changed.

Unlike a normal teacher, who will at times probably experience the above, the FA is similar to a supply teacher in that they have absolutely no idea what is going on and is a shivering wreck of intolerable suffering, standing wretchedly in the corner, quivering like a really shit jelly.

Feedingseagulls

Well he kind of was when he decided to swear directly at the camera, knowing they will be watching. He may as well have gone the whole hog.

But no, I was just highlighting that people swearing on the pitch elsewhere is not the same as going up to the camera and swearing down the lens. It hasn't and never will be the same, which is precisely why MOST players have the sense not to do that. The ones that do, IE Drogba and Rooney are punished for it.

Lets wait until other players do it before demanding consistency and not use unrelated/different incidents to compare.
You really have trouble with reality don't you!

The cameraman went to Rooney - not vice versa.

Of course, that fact doesn't suit your agenda quite as well as your rewrite of history... :D

Claymore

Do the right thing and retire from England Wayne.feck them.
Thing is, he won't be f*cking them, he'll be f*cking himself and other English people more. Sure it'd annoy the FA a bit for tournament chances or advertising but he'd not get the chance to play in the Euro and WC, get caps and things. Also it'd affect his imagine and commercial value too.

England depend on our players to fire them to glory, then use them as a scapegoat when something goes wrong.
Do we even have that many English players who make the squad these days? Besides, the FA can't let them off the rules because they're English.

I hope to see the day Fergie refuses to send our English players out on international duty.
Really? I don't. I'm English but want to see ANY United players play at the international tournaments and games and if the foreign ones get to play for their countries then why shouldn't the English. Its also good to see them play entertainment wise when we have a club break. Fills the gap and of course you want them to do well.

I REALLY hope we lift that Premier League trophy at the end of the season. It'll be a big 'feck you' to the media, ABU's and The FA. One of the most satisfying title wins if it happens, and with it being #19 is a massive bonus to piss the Scousers off even more.

Totally agree in every way. Hope it happens and can't wait. I do think a lot of people in the media don't want it to happen, IE United being kings of England, out on their own.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Well he kind of was when he decided to swear directly at the camera, knowing they will be watching. He may as well have gone the whole hog.

But no, I was just highlighting that people swearing on the pitch elsewhere is not the same as going up to the camera and swearing down the lens. It hasn't and never will be the same, which is precisely why MOST players have the sense not to do that. The ones that do, IE Drogba and Rooney are punished for it.

Lets wait until other players do it before demanding consistency and not use unrelated/different incidents to compare.
It's not the same thing, but more precise language would reveal that what you are actually talking about is intent. Intent can be interpreted in a number of ways, but in most instances we don't allow players to get away with something simply because it wasn't caught by the main camera or the referee, which suggests that the act itself is usually the reason for punishment.

However, in this instance you appear to be suggesting that swearing itself is not sufficient, and that it has to be 'down the camera'. But it should be obvious to players that cameras are everywhere and that, whether on the pitch during the game, or on the sideline while celebrating a goal, there is a good chance of their actions and words being caught on camera.

In law, that would probably be classed as a form of diminished intent, because there are so many examples of players being caught swearing while in the act of celebrating a goal that it can no longer be said that there is a lack of precedent or knowledge of the risks.

As others have repeatedly pointed out, you are attempting to make a distinction that really doesn't exist. Whether a player swears 'down the camera' or right next to it is simply not as relevant as you wish to suggest. Once you know that cameras are likely to be where you are celebrating, the act not being directed at the camera is no longer a reasonable excuse.

By the way, Drogba wasn't punished for swearing at the camera, he was punished for his abuse of the referee.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Rooney should have known better than to swear at the camera, I mean he's 25 years ffs. Having said that the FA are taking the piss, where's the ban for Essien's tackle or even the media inquest into that?

Even though, the FA have been extremely harsh, knowing that he had already gotten away with the Wigan incident Rooney was a complete twit for swearing. You can talk about heat of the moment all you want but he's old enough to know better but with Roonet you get the feeling that he'll never learn.

Claymore

You really have trouble with reality don't you!

The cameraman went to Rooney - not vice versa.

Of course, that fact doesn't suit your agenda quite as well as your rewrite of history... :D

Don't care who walked up to who mate, fact is he directed abuse down the lens of the camera. I agree the cameramen shouldn't be allowed on the pitch maybe until after the game, if at all but again, its irrelevant, because the issue is Rooney and his temper and he should sort it out. You don't see other players screaming down the lens week in week out.

I love some of the stuff Rooney does back at the fans, for example was it Man City away that he ran along their end doing like a chicken run or something, you know putting his elbows and knees up high? That was brilliant but swearing down the camera? No, not good and just brings trouble as we've just seen the last couple of days. We're on the verge of something special near the end of the season and its just unnecessary.

As Rio says, "Rooney know's he was wrong".

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Don't care who walked up to who mate, fact is he directed abuse down the lens of the camera. I agree the cameramen shouldn't be allowed on the pitch maybe until after the game, if at all but again, its irrelevant, because the issue is Rooney and his temper and he should sort it out. You don't see other players screaming down the lens week in week out.

I love some of the stuff Rooney does back at the fans, for example was it Man City away that he ran along their end doing like a chicken run or something, you know putting his elbows and knees up high? That was brilliant but swearing down the camera? No, not good and just brings trouble as we've just seen the last couple of days. We're on the verge of something special near the end of the season and its just unnecessary.

Agreed with all of that. People can go on and on about how harsh this is but knowing that the FA would be looking for any opportunity for retribution, what he did was beyond idiotic. His absolute stupidity might end up costing us dearly, not exactly what you'd expect from our star player.

Feedingseagulls

Apparently he probably shouted at a cameraman who wanted him to kiss the camera in that ludicrous and disgusting manner they love - glad he told him to get lost - sorry he used expletives doing it (but he was pretty wound up at the time). That's what Paddy has heard it seems.

I really hope this story is true AND it gets publicised because Sky should take some flak for it. Though Evra's punishment suggests agents provocateurs are immune and their impact not considered.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Apparently he probably shouted at a cameraman who wanted him to kiss the camera in that ludicrous and disgusting manner they love - glad he told him to get lost - sorry he used expletives doing it (but he was pretty wound up at the time). That's what Paddy has heard it seems.

I really hope this story is true AND it gets publicised because Sky should take some flak for it. Though Evra's punishment suggests agents provocateurs are immune and their impact not considered.
If that's true then 100% awesome, Rooney.

Aaron

Will the rule of not using "threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words" be applied now only if aimed towards a TV camera?

Kleberson

You talk like the FA have an ounce of sense, or a spine.
I am just hoping that they don't feel the need to make a big deal out of something that should have ended when Rooney issued an apology. But I completely agree with you, when it comes to United, the FA lose all rationale..

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It really is harsh. A fine and maybe a one game suspended ban would have sufficed.

But the FA was under huge pressure from the media and maybe others too. Not just from this incident but also the elbow at Wigan. They have to be seen making an example so we have been unfortunate.

I realise both are unrelated but you do get the feeling that at the back of it all, this has been coming to Rooney and the FA were looking for the 1st available opportunity which happens to be quite soon after his last mishap. Is it a case of karma is a bitch?

He needs to curtail his reactions, his temper and his behaviour he needs to realise that he is one of the main men in a very bright public spotlight. I know its not overly fair and I am certain if that was a Blackpool player for example it would have been in any way news worthy.

But this is just an added part of being a Man Utd player. Everything you do will be magnified and it is something he needs to learn.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
He hasn't actually been banned yet, has he?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It really is harsh. A fine and maybe a one game suspended ban would have sufficed.

But the FA was under huge pressure from the media and maybe others too. Not just from this incident but also the elbow at Wigan. They have to be seen making an example so we have been unfortunate.

I realise both are unrelated but you do get the feeling that at the back of it all, this has been coming to Rooney and the FA were looking for the 1st available opportunity which happens to be quite soon after his last mishap. Is it a case of karma is a bitch?

He needs to curtail his reactions, his temper and his behaviour he needs to realise that he is one of the main men in a very bright public spotlight. I know its not overly fair and I am certain if that was a Blackpool player for example it would have been in any way news worthy.

But this is just an added part of being a Man Utd player. Everything you do will be magnified and it is something he needs to learn.
Not a case of karma's a bitch but in fact, like their officials, the FA does not like to admit they made mistakes instead they will just make an unfair decision later on to make up for it.

So Rooney's elbow...maybe they should have done something about it but their hands were tied by their own stupid rules so at the next available opportunity they give him a two match ban. I've seen similar things (in spirit) happen many times during Premier League matches.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It's only the BBC who seem to have embarked on this embarassingly obvious anti Rooney/United crusade though. No one else could give a feck.

and even so, they CHOSE to show the incident in full several hours after it had happened, and then sat there criticising Rooney for choosing to say it. I mean, what the feck?
Alan Hansen and Shearer both yeah its not overly nice but its happened and forget about it. They never went over the top at all. And of course they showed it. it was in the news and the papers. They are expected to respond

vanrooney

Its football not Opera for fecks sake. Its a down to earth game with emotions running high. Its extremly two-faced. The spectator wants to be as near as possible to the stars. If it would be possible they would be even in their bedrooms only to protest that its rude in there.

The media makes it possible and makes a lot of money because of it. They love it when there is a player like Rooney who speaks out and acts emotionally because they know this will bring them money. On the other hand they condone emotions and ask for the behaviour of a monk. If there is no camera on the pitch there wouldnt be a problem. But as it seems there was no problem at all as the papers print the story and TV shows it repetetive. Kids can read this! Who thinks about them? They even can decipher the F*** printed.

Rooney got abuse for the whole game. His wife got called a slag, he himself a fat granny shagger. I am not pointing at the West Ham fans, as such songs are quite common in football and every match going fan knows it but it explains why Wayne was fired up. The kids in the stadium could hear this chants for sure and as even i was able to hear it clear on my stream with my 29 year old ears i am sure kids watching the game at home could also hear it. Really dont know what message the FA wants to make with this. Stop getting in the faces of the players on the pitch after scoring goals (the moment with the highest adrenalin level) if you dont want to see (and hear) emotions.

Devils Advocate

Absolutely right Randall.

In all this, Rooney deserves to be criticised and warned if he ever does that again he'll be banned for 3 games or something. He shouldn't be swearing directly at the camera whatever the circumstances.

The most depressing aspect of it all however, is the continuing proof that the governing bodies of football, both at national & international level, are incompetent feckwits who make it up as they go along and apply no consistency or logic to the way the sport is regulated/played.

Devils Advocate

One of the things in football that actually, genuinely angers me is the notion that if someone appeals a punishment then that punishment can be increased. I mean seriously, what's the fecking point of that?! It was there for cases where a player/club tried to cheat the system ( re - Rio), but if there is no game before an appeal is heard how the hell is that system allowed to be put in place? How is that democratic and fair and how on earth does it inspire respect from clubs towards the FA? It's so utterly stupid it makes we want to stab myself in the face with a whistle-pop.