Rooney Charged: Faces Two Match Ban for cursing | Appeal lost

kf

I actually think that Rooney has a right to take legal action against that Police Chief. The insinuation is that Rooney is a thug who would start trouble and beat up an innocent person. That's slander.

"My officers will face more Rooneys over the weekend, no doubt somebody will be injured in some meaningless fight. An officer will have to go and tell a parent that their son or daughter is in hospital as a result."

Absolutely disgusting comment.
I read that to mean one of his officers was likely to put someone in hospital... maybe they're all as thick as he is :angel:

wr8_utd

:'(
Sir Alex Ferguson has accused the FA of bullying referee Lee Mason into citing Wayne Rooney for swearing.

Manchester United boss Fergie claimed the FA put Mason under intolerable pressure to admit he would have sent Rooney off had he seen the striker swear into a camera after completing a hat-trick at West Ham last weekend.

Rooney will begin a two-match ban tomorrow after losing his appeal against his punishment having admitted a charge of using foul and abusive language.

But Fergie claimed there was a clear FA agenda against United because of their high profile.

"I don't think fair is a word we can use anymore [with regard to the FA]," said Fergie.

"We put an appeal in, Wayne wrote his apology for swearing, but obviously I don't think we expected to get a result to be honest.

"The person I feel sorry for is Lee Mason [referee] because he's put himself in a terrible position. Obviously he was put under pressure. There's no doubt about that. It's hard to believe a ref would send a player off for scoring a hat-trick.

"But he's now put himself in the spotlight and if he doesn't send a player off for swearing then the question will be: has he got double standards? It's a really difficult position for the lad and I feel for him, I really do."

Fergie also had a pop at Superintendent Mark Payne, responsible for managing crime response in Wolverhampton, who said Rooney would have been arrested and locked up had he sworn on his patch on a Saturday night.

"There is an issue in the modern world of a need to be noticed," said Fergie.

"There's a wee guy [police chief] sat down in the Midlands, probably never been recognised in his life, managed to elevate himself to whatever he is in the police force.

"Have you ever seen Birmingham on a Saturday night? Do the police there actually arrest people for swearing on a Saturday night? Dearie me. That's a good one isn't it?

"Anyway. We're disappointed about it, but we'll be united about it. We have to get on with it. We will face the problem because we've got a fantastic squad who have shown great determination recently.

"We're going to be hard to beat, that's for sure. I think it will bring everyone [at United] together. That's the great advantage, the great plus."
Good one Fergie

wr8_utd

:'(
Twitter :

BBC News "Twelve die in Rio school shooting". He can expect at least a two match ban for that.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

"There's a wee guy [police chief] sat down in the Midlands, probably never been recognised in his life, managed to elevate himself to whatever he is in the police force."

:lol: Ouch :lol:

Some police chief just got owned!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's a brilliant, brilliant interview from Fergie.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Hmm, anyone worried it will lead to a further FA sanction though?
If you get suspended for challenging the integrity of the FA and its disciplinary process, then something is wrong. He hasn't said anything about the referee aside from the fact that he was pressured. Never mentions Mason's integrity.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Why would it? I don't see anything over the top at all from those comments from Fergie.
If you get suspended for challenging the integrity of the FA and its disciplinary process, then something is wrong. He hasn't said anything about the referee aside from the fact that he was pressured. Never mentions Mason's integrity.
This - challenging the FA. Just have a bad feeling about this...

twitter thread suggester
Hmm, anyone worried it will lead to a further FA sanction though?
It really is ridiculous that we genuinely have to fear punishment from the FA whenever Sir Alex or one of our players give an interview.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This - challenging the FA. Just have a bad feeling about this...
I don't know if the FA would want to take it further.

They've already handed a player the default disciplinary charge for a rule which is broken hundreds of times every week, pressured the referee into saying he would have enforced it, and refused to accept the punishment of a two game ban is harsh, despite it not even being treated as an exceptional case.

It's gone from being a simply disciplinary matter, to a huge can of worms and possible case of corruption in less than a week. If it ends up in the papers for much longer they'll have gone all in with a deck of jokers and a beer mat.

Somehow I doubt Fergie will be letting it lie either way.

Brophs

The One and Only
This quote is worryingly close to the comment that got him his touchline ban in the first place:
There's definitely a double entendre there. Does it mean you can't allude to there being unfairness in the officiating of games or does it mean you can't call the FA a fair organisation after what they've done?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There's definitely a double entendre there. Does it mean you can't allude to there being unfairness in the officiating of games or does it mean you can't call the FA a fair organisation after what they've done?
Exactly, cleverly vague

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
This quote is worryingly close to the comment that got him his touchline ban in the first place:
He's only criticizing the FA in the overview though. It would be a stretch to say it was aimed at Mason or referees in general. I wouldn't be suprised if the idiots at Wembley extract that meaning.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I doubt that's by accident either though.

He knows any action taken will be against him and you'd suspect trusts his players and management team to cope fine with him sat in the stands anyway.

He's probably daring the FA to drag this out further. They seem to be digging holes for themselves the longer it remains in the spotlight.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Normally after televised interviews he will speak to the written media and I wouldn't be suprised if we see articles popping up tonight on the head of the fa, with 'sources close to united believe...' that can't be traced back to Fergie directly...Fergie is right to kick up a shitstorm about these corrupt cnuts

RK

I doubt that's by accident either though.

He knows any action taken will be against him and you'd suspect trusts his players and management team to cope fine with him sat in the stands anyway.

He's probably daring the FA to drag this out further. They seem to be digging holes for themselves the longer it remains in the spotlight.
:lol: That's how I see it. Either way, excellent interview from Fergie.

Dion

If we thought a 2 match ban was fair we wouldn't have appealed, can hardly ban us when they've admitted we had reasonable grounds to appeal.

Number7

Ret's Slave
If we sense corruption surely we should be taking it to the court of arbitration for sport?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Normally after televised interviews he will speak to the written media and I wouldn't be suprised if we see articles popping up tonight on the head of the fa, with 'sources close to united believe...' that can't be traced back to Fergie directly...Fergie is right to kick up a shitstorm about these corrupt cnuts
How else do you think he's confident enough in the Mason story to back it?

As if people in football never talk to each other. The FA really are incredibly stupid sometimes.

pillory

Let me quote myself:

They could do him for improper conduct or bringing the game into disrepute or something. They cannot do him for using foul and abusive language when the language he used wasn't foul and abusive by the standards every single PL game ever has been refereed by. (Well, they obviously can.)

Andy Lonergan was fined and warned for giving various fingers to opposition fans at the end of a game a few months ago. Is saying "feck what" to a camera more offensive than that? And refs tolerate players saying 'feck' to them, but I don't think they would tolerate being shown the finger.
I just realised Lonergan was charged with the same thing as Rooney. (Abusive/insulting/offensive gestures, which in the rules are treated the same way as ditto language.) And he basically said "feck off, you cnuts" to a whole stand.

Sir A1ex

"There's a wee guy [police chief] sat down in the Midlands, probably never been recognised in his life, managed to elevate himself to whatever he is in the police force."
Absolutely perfect - You come at the king, you'd better not miss, Supt Payne!

:lol:

Number7

Ret's Slave
Aren't the Fa currently undergoing a government review?

Fergie intentionally using it to put pressure on them?

Amir

I suspect so. If nothing else I presume they can use the 'bringing the game into disrepute' catch-all.
They can do whatever they like... That is the problem! You can be done for post match comments, so surely pre match comments are no different. And as they make the rules as they go along... They can charge anyone for everything.