Rooney is finished

Is Rooney done at the required level?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
As far as Rooney is concerned, we are talking rubbish.
WAYNE ROONEY RESPONDS TO UNITED CRITICS
Wayne Rooney responded to the recent criticism of Manchester United when he made a special appearance on MUTV's Thursday Focus show.

The Reds skipper was a guest of Helen Evans and David May, alongside boxer Anthony Crolla and his trainer Joe Gallagher, and admits the team had a bad eight days when losing to Manchester City, Feyenoord and Watford.

Rooney feels flak from the media goes with the territory when results do not go well. He told MUTV: "That’s football, I think. We don’t win in three games and, of course, everyone is going to talk about it. We had a bad week, a bad eight days where we’ve lost three games, and it’s important now we react well to that and come through that."

Regarding the intense scrutiny of his own form, he said: "Yeah, I think I’ve had that my whole career – a little bit more of late, I think, but that’s football. I listen to my coaches and my team-mates, the people around me, and I don’t really listen to what a lot of people out there are saying because a lot of it is rubbish.

"I have to focus, work hard, of course, and I’ve done that throughout my career. I’ve worked hard and tried to do my best for the team.

"I’ve done that [played in different positions] throughout my career. I feel I can play in all positions but I think the manager has made it clear either I’ll play up front or in the no.10 and that’s where he sees me playing. As I said before, it’s not just myself – the whole team is going in and working hard. We had a bad week but we’ve been working hard to put that right."

With the EFL Cup fourth-round draw providing a spicy home tie and the "perfect" chance to avenge the derby defeat against Pep Guardiola's City side, things are looking more positive after Wednesday's 3-1 victory at Northampton Town.

"We got the win last night, we’ve got three home games coming up before the international break and it’s important we try to win all three of them and get our season back on track," said Rooney.

"The cup games against lower-league teams can be difficult. We had to go there and be focused and make sure we did everything to get the win. We controlled the game in the first half but, in the last five minutes of the first half, we were a little bit sloppy and conceded the goal from the penalty they scored. In the second half, we controlled it again and deserved the victory.

"For me, I think it’s the perfect [cup] draw. With what happened in the league, it’s a chance for us to get revenge for that result. It’s going to be a great atmosphere. I think City will have 7,000-8,000 fans here, which will obviously make it an even better atmosphere. I think a cup game against City at Old Trafford is the perfect draw for us."

Rooney is convinced the Reds will be challenging for honours this term, with Jose Mourinho working hard behind the scenes to find the winning formula.

"I think he’s been brilliant since he’s come in," said the captain. "Training has changed a lot. The training has been really good and it’s interesting to see how he prepares for games with tactics, how we approach games, and it’s been really good.

"I’m sure obviously we will come back and definitely be challenging this season."

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Why would Mou be that interested in Rooney breaking the record
It's a massive marketing moment, I'm sure the club have talked it up internally as something that's expected to happen this season. The sooner, the better. feck him off after and there won't be much blowback from the fans, the rest of the team, the press. Not saying he cares all that much, but it would be the best way to not rock the boat. Of course the fact that Rooney's been terrible and can't hit the side of a barn at the moment hasn't made it any easier.

Borden

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The PR person that thought it was a good idea to wheel him out and talk nonsense needs sacking.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...x?newsid=E53CF5A0-D288-4F05-B084-086139A72872

Pablo Escobar replies to haters. Not sure these MUTV cnuts realise they are making him look worse by defending him right in front of him by making petty excuses like "out of position."
Doesn't want to listen to anyone who criticises him, basically. Working hard. Supposed to be playing up front or in the 10 position. Working hard. But why then is he still dropping between the centrebacks or on the wing? Working hard. I can't work out if he is defying the manager. Working hard. Or if he is just moved out of important positions when we are looking for a goal. Working hard. Errrm.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
... i hope he plays at the weekend and bags a couple of goals so the hate brigade can move onto someone else.
You seriously believe he can score 2 league goals in 1 game?
If you still need reminding, he scored a total of 8 league goals last season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cant believe the amount of people slagging the club captain off on here and taking personal digs.He is one of the greatest players to play for the club this century and banging on the door to be the highest scorer in our history.
Some complete bellends on here i agree hes been shyt but so have several others i hope he plays at the weekend and bags a couple of goals so the hate brigade can move onto someone else.
A couple of goals won't vindicate him.

Galactico

It's a massive marketing moment, I'm sure the club have talked it up internally as something that's expected to happen this season. The sooner, the better. feck him off after and there won't be much blowback from the fans, the rest of the team, the press. Not saying he cares all that much, but it would be the best way to not rock the boat. Of course the fact that Rooney's been terrible and can't hit the side of a barn at the moment hasn't made it any easier.
I disagree. Let Sir Bobby keep his record and ship Rooney out now. He never loved the club and the way he held the club to ransom - he doesn't deserve the record. The least he should have done was retire from the England squad and try his best to pay back the faith United have kept showing in him. He has done nothing in how many WCs and Euro finals is it now? What makes him think he can contribute more now when he is clearly past it? Deluded. Shame, SAF laid it on a plate to get rid and instead Moyes took the bait.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Or if he is just moved out of important positions when we are looking for a goal. Working hard. Errrm.
Now I come to think about it, generally speaking we have him as No.10 (or No.9 in last game).
In the first half we play badly.
At 45 mins or 60 mins the subs come on. At this time, Rooney is moved away from the central position, after which we start playing well.
I wonder if this is just a coincidence or Rooney is genuinely ruining our attacks when he plays as No.9/No.10.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The small amount of pity I felt for Rooney has vanished after his MUTV appearance and what he said. How can he not see what he is doing to this team? How can he still believe he is a good player? I hope he never breaks the scoring record and I can't wait for him to be out of this club. I can see him playing against Leicester, this situation and this club is turning into a joke. Rooney is bigger than Man Utd.

wr8_utd

:'(
Cant believe the amount of people slagging the club captain off on here and taking personal digs.He is one of the greatest players to play for the club this century and banging on the door to be the highest scorer in our history.
Some complete bellends on here i agree hes been shyt but so have several others i hope he plays at the weekend and bags a couple of goals so the hate brigade can move onto someone else.
He deservedly will be dropped at the weekend and he has no one but himself to blame but I agree with you. A part of me wishes he leaves the club soon because the way the respect has gone out of the window as far as he's concerned is staggering. Our fans hate him like he's the captain of Liverpool or City and it's really sad to see. He's a legend and he should go with his legacy intact.

Ban

Imagine what will happen when he eventually does get dropped.

Will they call him for another episode?

He pisses me off so much.

He's fast tarnishing his legacy.

He should have quit but it's astonishing to see that he doesn't even aknowledge how bad he is right now.
He still thinks he should just work hard.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
why one earth would you assume Everton and Koeman would want him?
Because some fans don't understand just how bad he is and believe some team would still be prepared to pay money for him.
There was some guy earlier in this thread hopeing he scores 2 goals against LCFC. Sure, that is a nice sentiment, but given he struggles to score 1 goal, I find it amusing that anyone who knows anything about football would believe/hope that he can score 2 league goals.

As far as goal scoring goals, I will say this. Vardy (a player who many MUFC fans said is not good enough to play for us), scored more league goals last season, than Rooney scored in the last 2 seasons, combined.

If we dig hard enough I am sure there will be some fans who believe Rooney is as good as Neymar, Ronaldo, etc.

Kaos

The thing is, even at the MLS I'd reckon he'd be woeful. He's not going to magically be an athletic world-beater just because he's playing in an inferior league.

mancan92

Ever since scholes came out and slated Rooney, then a week later completely changed his tune it was obvious that the club don't allow anyone to talk bad about him.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He deservedly will be dropped at the weekend and he has no one but himself to blame but I agree with you. A part of me wishes he leaves the club soon because the way the respect has gone out of the window as far as he's concerned is staggering. Our fans hate him like he's the captain of Liverpool or City and it's really sad to see. He's a legend and he should go with his legacy intact.
Him leaving would be best for all parties.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well from his point of view he is correct. It's not his job to decide if he's not up to it. That's for Jose.

BlakeUtd

reading his comments disgust me. granted I don't expect him to say otherwise but is it too much to ask for him to say, yeah I've been far from my best and I will give everything to improve. At east that would make me feel like he's not a complete asshole. Its like the naked emperor, refusing to admit his faults till the last moment when he can't stop the embarrassing climax

El Jefe

I can't stand seeing Rooney in our team but its hilarious how this place has turned into RooneyCafe.

It'll be interesting to know if there's a way to know which individual, during what period dominated the Caf the most in the space of a week.

Van gaal's 'sacking' during that period in Nov/Dec, Moyes towards the end, Rooney's contract troubles in 2010, SAF's retirement or Rooney at this point in time.

It could probably make for a good poll.

dichinero

Was just going to say that re depay. Makes you wonder what happens behind the scenes and whether theres hostile cliques in the squad.
Personally for me, it feels like Rooney has the backing of the more senior players in Carrick, Valencia, Smalling, Young etc in that he has played with them since the Fergie era. They are more plastic than anything else. With that in mind, the other players are more likely to just yield to the ones with the power, not that they necessarily like him or think that he is a brilliant footballer.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The small amount of pity I felt for Rooney has vanished after his MUTV appearance and what he said. How can he not see what he is doing to this team? How can he still believe he is a good player? I hope he never breaks the scoring record and I can't wait for him to be out of this club. I can see him playing against Leicester, this situation and this club is turning into a joke. Rooney is bigger than Man Utd.
He's a selfish person and a terrible captain. Does not give a feck about the club, and still the weirdos there are kissing his ass. United seems an archaic institution with idiots running all over the place.

RedorDead21

Imagine what will happen when he eventually does get dropped.

Will they call him for another episode?

He pisses me off so much.

He's fast tarnishing his legacy.

He should have quit but it's astonishing to see that he doesn't even aknowledge how bad he is right now.
He still thinks he should just work hard.
He could become toxic behind the scenes. He will be leaking more stories. It's not been discussed much on here but Maureen was sacked at Chelsea due to player power and it would be no different here with the players he calls out and drops. Not like he can weed out the bad eggs now for some time.....

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He could become toxic behind the scenes. He will be leaking more stories. It's not been discussed much on here but Maureen was sacked at Chelsea due to player power and it would be no different here with the players he calls out and drops. Not like he can weed out the bad eggs now for some time.....
If he does leak stories, then Jose just needs to say to the press that he knows who is doing it and that he will never play for United again.

RedorDead21

If he does leak stories, then Jose just needs to say to the press that he knows who is doing it and that he will never play for United again.
It only works if the team is winning. If we are struggling it's not like Maureen is in a strong position. The press will love siding with Rooney and any others he has on side. The problem is Mou's style with players doesn't exactly endear them to him. Very few at chelsea, even the ones he brought in stood by him and stopped the rebellion last year. He had few friends and it showed. Would be worse in our dressing room.

eggwithsideburns

The Rooney thing is just puzzling. It should be a simple case of dropping him, like with every other footballer who plays as bad as he has been. I don't get why its turned into this, why he never gets dropped. Pundits get really defensive and don't dare say anything bad about him, its strange. Why did Phil Neville say he will play v Leicester? He seems so sure that he wont be dropped. Is it bullshit about the contract clause or do people think it could be true? It surely cant be true. I don't know how contracts work or if the idea of putting that in a contract is mental etc. LVG did say my captain shall always play.

Anyway, sigh. Hope we don't see Rooney's name in the starting line up on Saturday.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The Rooney thing is just puzzling. It should be a simple case of dropping him, like with every other footballer who plays as bad as he has been. I don't get why its turned into this, why he never gets dropped. Pundits get really defensive and don't dare say anything bad about him, its strange. Why did Phil Neville say he will play v Leicester? He seems so sure that he wont be dropped. Is it bullshit about the contract clause or do people think it could be true? It surely cant be true. I don't know how contracts work or if the idea of putting that in a contract is mental etc. LVG did say my captain shall always play.

Anyway, sigh. Hope we don't see Rooney's name in the starting line up on Saturday.
Maybe LVG was trying to tell us the situation in a round a bout way;)

Status
Not open for further replies.