Rooting for Leeds

redrobed

They’re not really rivals as far as I’m concerned anymore. Rivals are a result of locality (e.g. City), competition (Liverpool), or current circumstance (Leeds a long time ago) - my generation never grew up with the same hatred of them because they’ve been irrelevant all our lives.

I do think Bielsa is massively overhyped though - it seems to have just become the hip thing to do to pretend he’s something he’s not.

Maticmaker

I suspect it is the Leeds fans who do most of the hating!

They got Johnny Giles from us, back in the day, who was a great player for them and one of Don Revie's mainstays, and eventually Lee Sharpe found his way there; but then we took a number of players from them, all going on to 'better things' after leaving Leeds, these included the likes of Gordon McQueen, Joe Jordan, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith and of course Eric!

We also pinched Dan James from under their noses. That's were the real hatred of United comes from with Leeds fans.

I can watch Leeds anytime, very entertaining, especially when they got stuffed 6-2, by the real 'United'.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Bielsa makes me dislike them, if anything. Football hipsters get on my tits. They’re usually entertaining to watch though. So that’s good. And I really cannot fecking stand Chelsea. So today is another easy day to root for Leeds. Oh yes.
What is the definition of a "hipster" in this context? A 65 year old mad man who has stuck to his principles at every club he's been at and is very much down to earth as a character?

Rich coming from you Pogue, with a musketeers moustache ;)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Here we go again.

C’mon Leeds.
Someone asked me, watching the game, who I'm rooting for.

"An entertaining draw, with lots of red cards on both sides"

Got a good laugh.

I do sympathize with those who have no apathy towards Leeds. Growing up, most Man United fans around me hated Arsenal and Chelsea (our relevant rivals at the time)... No one cared about Liverpool and City. Now that obviously doesn't matter, rivalries are defined by more than current form.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Someone asked me, watching the game, who I'm rooting for.

"An entertaining draw, with lots of red cards on both sides"

Got a good laugh.

I do sympathize with those who have no apathy towards Leeds. Growing up, most Man United fans around me hated Arsenal and Chelsea (our relevant rivals at the time)... No one cared about Liverpool and City. Now that obviously doesn't matter, rivalries are defined by more than current form.
You got your wish. Minus the red cards. That’ll do pig. That’ll do.

Lappen

I suspect it is the Leeds fans who do most of the hating!

They got Johnny Giles from us, back in the day, who was a great player for them and one of Don Revie's mainstays, and eventually Lee Sharpe found his way there; but then we took a number of players from them, all going on to 'better things' after leaving Leeds, these included the likes of Gordon McQueen, Joe Jordan, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith and of course Eric!

We also pinched Dan James from under their noses. That's were the real hatred of United comes from with Leeds fans.

I can watch Leeds anytime, very entertaining, especially when they got stuffed 6-2, by the real 'United'.
Don't forget about Gordon Strachan. I absolutely loved him, my first idol, and I cried when he left us for Leeds. Whom I at the time didn't felt anything about, being Swedish and never herd the history and storys. I didn't like them after that, but when they two years later stole the league title with G Strachan as ther star, I started to hate them!
Today I honestly don't feel that much, I just don't want them to do well. :0)
Lee Sharp was another player I loved... but it was a different story when he left us.

Maticmaker

Don't forget about Gordon Strachan. I absolutely loved him, my first idol, and I cried when he left us for Leeds. Whom I at the time didn't felt anything about, being Swedish and never herd the history and storys. I didn't like them after that, but when they two years later stole the league title with G Strachan as ther star, I started to hate them!
Today I honestly don't feel that much, I just don't want them to do well. :0)
Lee Sharp was another player I loved... but it was a different story when he left us.
No, I didn't really forget about Strachan, opposite to yourself I just didn't take to him, or rate him; but in hindsight he did contribute to Leeds ( more than I thought he did for us).
I suppose the real story of (at least part) of my displeasure with Strachan was I had taken a young lad to a game at OT (his first game) and we had got there early. The lad spotted Strachan going into the ground and ran to get his autograph, not only did Strachan refuse he actually brushed past the kid, almost knocking him over.
The irony was, that kid was 'over the moon' that Strachan had actually pushed him out of the way... I was livid!

Glorio

Wouldn’t bother me, probably because they were never relevant as far as I remember. I know most fans of a certain age hate them.

They play good attacking football and are a good laugh too.
Beginning to think I might be considered elderly in these parts :nervous:

fezzerUTD

I began supporting United in 2008, and despite never watching a PL game between these two teams before this season’s smashing, but aside from the obvious rivalry, I still hate them for 2010. That absolute one hit wonder Beckford.
It was my first OT game, that day was a nightmare. :mad: Their fans were brilliant (for them) that day, and because it was FA cup they were allowed more tickets and they had the top tier opposite the Stretford End and sang all game.

RashyForPM

It was my first OT game, that day was a nightmare. :mad: Their fans were brilliant (for them) that day, and because it was FA cup they were allowed more tickets and they had the top tier opposite the Stretford End and sang all game.
I’m surprised they never ripped out any seats, clowns.

Glorio

feck Leeds. They’re hated by everyone, not just United fans. The fact that their team is entertaining and their manager is a comedy villain doesn’t diminish this.
Also, feck the city of Leeds. Impossible nightmare to drive round. I got lost there once on the way to an exam....even the satnav was fecked. It’s a hellhole
That's because it's full of one-way streets! Whenever I've visited, I've found it easier to walk. Must be a very raunchy folk as there seem to be sex shops everywhere you turn :lol:

Lappen

No, I didn't really forget about Strachan, opposite to yourself I just didn't take to him, or rate him; but in hindsight he did contribute to Leeds ( more than I thought he did for us).
I suppose the real story of (at least part) of my displeasure with Strachan was I had taken a young lad to a game at OT (his first game) and we had got there early. The lad spotted Strachan going into the ground and ran to get his autograph, not only did Strachan refuse he actually brushed past the kid, almost knocking him over.
The irony was, that kid was 'over the moon' that Strachan had actually pushed him out of the way... I was livid!
Ouuu... shit that is really bad! Storys like this really makes me not like players. Thanks for sharing!

At the time there were so few things to see and read about the players living in Sweden. And the things we read was often the good and funny stuff....the things they wanted people to see.
There are so much you just don't know ore feel supporting a team in an other country, especially before the internet. Thats also a reason I'm still supporting the team. When I started to travel to Manchester it was like a new start supporting the same old team.

MU655

We can get a max of 84 points. Two games in hand, we can get within 8 points. They only need to lose three more and we can win the league.

Maticmaker

We can get a max of 84 points. Two games in hand, we can get within 8 points. They only need to lose three more and we can win the league.
....AND, if City get through to the Champions League final, will they do what we did in 1968 and lose an eight point lead in the run in to the PL (or as it was then Div 1)????
Highly unlikely, but we can dream.... wish City could play a full side Leeds every week, they would run the legs of Peps men.

Did anyone notice the look on KDB's face at the end of the game, he was livid?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t really have a problem with this as I’m probably too young to see Leeds as a rival. They’ve been out of the top flight for too long really. I cheered their winner yesterday as I would if anyone else scored it.

Manc_white

Supports
Leeds united
This thread is absolutely hillarious

if anything shows what a plastic club man United has become it’s this. I genuinely feel bad for the few traditional Mancunian man united fans who know the score and struggling to get through to the rest. I looks like you‘re fighting a losing battle

those that are saying leeds have been irrelevant for so long, we weren’t in the same division for 8 years in the 80’s the hatred was still there.

Kamprad

You’re going against the narrative of almost every modern day football fan by doing that and should be ashamed of yourself. Just pick a team based on nothing but coincidence and stick with that team no matter what.

Manc_white

Supports
Leeds united

RUCK4444

Bielsa is the one that I like but I hate Leeds. His style is awesome really.
Agree, his style is a madness and you gotta love the way he commits 110% to it.

Give him top level players in this system and they would be deadly. Like a top defence and elite DM to provide some cover.

Kamikaze style. It’s basically how I play on fifa. :D

Cloud7

Agree, his style is a madness and you gotta love the way he commits 110% to it.

Give him top level players in this system and they would be deadly. Like a top defence and elite DM to provide some cover.

Kamikaze style. It’s basically how I play on fifa. :D
I would really like to see what he can do with some top level players.

arthurka

Same, minus the hate.
Went to Elland Road back in the 90's and got pelted with everything they could throw at us also all fluids bodily and others were fair game. Plus they sang all the classics and made airplane sounds all game long. Have hated them since.
But don't hate Bielsa I like him and have for years admired his work. Bit of a shame it's Leeds but shit happens.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Went to Elland Road back in the 90's and got pelted with everything they could throw at us also all fluids bodily and others were fair game. Plus they sang all the classics and made airplane sounds all game long. Have hated them since.
But don't hate Bielsa I like him and have for years admired his work. Bit of a shame it's Leeds but shit happens.
Understandable. Been there once. Funnily enough, not for a United game. And they still sang about how they hate United. I just felt they were extremely small time and irrelevant. But I get the bad taste that's lingered for you there. Eugh.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I came in for it in the other thread for calling Leeds shit 4 months ago.

Really not sure why United fans would defend Leeds so much but here we are.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The rivalry between us and them has been on ice for quite a while. I imagine many of us were back in school when the two teams were last in the same division.

As soon as fans are back again, this match will have real bite and the hatred will rekindle.

peridigm

Could Leeds pull off a PL hat trick this week? City-Liverpool-United.
Would be a statement on the back of the ESL announcement.

RUCK4444

I hate Leeds because I’m taught to hate them.

They’ve not really been a true rival of ours in my lifetime so I find it hard to muster much of an opinion of them either way tbh. Obviously I don’t like them but I don’t loathe them like Scousers of Citeh.

Last edited:
  1. Liverpool
  2. City
  3. Leeds
  4. Liverpool reserves

Everyone else

Order of dislike of other clubs.

I’ll never ‘root’ for Leeds, but in terms of a result, I’d rather Leeds win than Liverpool.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I hate Leeds but admire their approach under Bielsa. He always seems to have technically solid players playing on the very edge of their ability. It’s risky but it’s nearly always fun to watch. He’d just be another LVG here though, 100%. He’d sign players that would confuse us and we’d be having all these high scoring draws and defeats to teams we should be beating easy.

MrBest

1. Liverpool
  2. City
  3. Leeds
  4. Liverpool reserves

Everyone else

Order of dislike of other clubs.

I’ll never ‘root’ for Leeds, but in terms of a result, I’d rather Leeds win than Liverpool.
Change 4 to 2, add in the youth as 3, then the next 3 go to city, then you can Leeds at 7.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I don't really give a shit about managers of clubs and how they play football when it comes to rival clubs. The only time I would want Liverpool to win or do well is if it was beneficial to us. In all other circumstances I would support anyone over them including Leeds.