Ross Barkley...

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Gallagher has played deeper, but are we not focusing on what they are currently doing at their clubs? If so, then Gallagher shouldn't be considered as an 8, as is the case with Bellingham
I don't think that should impact an international manager's thinking too much. If there was a tournament last summer, after Stones had spent the second half of the season playing in midfield for City, would that mean that Southgate couldn't possibly play him at CB? Of course not.

The same goes for Ward-Prowse. Whilst he's a massive threat on set pieces, there's nothing else in his game that I believe outdoes Barkley's
I get why you think that, however his exceptional crossing is not just limited to set pieces. If one of our midfielders was out wide and looking to swing in a cross onto Kane's head, I'd fancy Ward-Prowse over Barkley.

You mention that he's been playing well for several years but the squad isn't chosen based on that. It's chosen based on form (well, it should be), and if that's the case, as I said, no one has performed better than Barkley in that deep-lying position. Not only according to the eye, stats back that up, too.

In the end, it's all subjective, but I personally believe, if Southgate looks at it based on form, there's no way he can leave Barkley out. Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Who I'd take:

Bellingham/Maddison
Rice/Mainoo - Barkley/Box to box
We'll see how Barkley (and others) perform up until the end of the season. If he maintains his good form, and Gallagher and Ward-Prowse have poor/average finishes to the season, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, part of me thinks this is just a purple patch and he will revert to type soon.