Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

Castia

He’s a good experienced manager who for me has always been one step above the usual candidates (Hughes, Allardyce etc).

Tarrou

Nope, the proof is in Roy's overall managerial record. He wipes the floor with Ole. Ole has shown nothing to suggest otherwise. If he does, I'll change my stance. I still wouldn't want Roy managing United by any stretch, but that is also a reflection of how low down the managerial totem pole I view our current manager.
no proof is needed that coaching matters, obviously

you don't need to shoehorn your dissatisfaction for Ole into every thread here... we know

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
This is Roy's type of job.

Give him a job with no serious expectations (beyond avoiding the drop) and he will overachieve, sometimes spectacularly like we're seeing now. Give him a job where the expectations are high within the fanbase and the media he will bomb, because he can't adapt his mindset. You saw that with the comments he made while managing Liverpool, he was genuinely acting like he was still at Fulham.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

This is Roy's type of job.

Give him a job with no serious expectations (beyond avoiding the drop) and he will overachieve, sometimes spectacularly like we're seeing now. Give him a job where the expectations are high within the fanbase and the media he will bomb, because he can't adapt his mindset, you saw that with the comments he made while managing Liverpool, he was genuinely acting like he was still at Fulham.

True. This applies to Moyes also, everything about that man radiated 'Everton manager' when he was at OT. And those same signs are there with Ole. He radiates 'Molde manager'.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
True. This applies to Moyes also, everything about that man radiated 'Everton manager' when he was at OT. And those same signs are there with Ole. He radiates 'Molde manager'.
Didnt Moyes finish lower at United than he did every season at Everton bar about two or three?

Thinking of that got me thinking, would Roy even be as high or higher as Palace currently are taking on one of the big six with the expectations so huge? Probably would with City and Liverpool due to the sheer individual quality (wouldn't be near the other for the title though) but with us two and the North London duo I think he would be spectacularly out of his depth.

Alabaster Codify7

Didnt Moyes finish lower at United than he did every season at Everton bar about two or three?

Thinking of that got me thinking, would Roy even be as high or higher as Palace currently are taking on one of the big six with the expectations so huge? Probably would with City and Liverpool due to the sheer individual quality (wouldn't be near the other for the title though) but with us two and the North London duo I think he would be spectacularly out of his depth.
Wouldn't be surprised, which feeds into the following...….

Playing style suited to an underdog of a team.

…...quote.

Some managers just don't have it in them to raise their game and manage a big club. Regarding Ole, you could even go so far back as to his playing career...…….now, this is probably gonna ruffle some feathers but.....

Ole was never the main man. He was best known and best loved as a supersub - the guy you bring on under the radar to kill teams when they least expected it. In other words, a kind of underdog!

He thrived in that role to an immense level. When he first arrived as caretaker, with absolutely no pressure on him at all, he thrived. As soon as he was made permanent and was then expected to be The Man...….what happened? A decline in his performance and the team's.

He isn't capable of being The Man at a big club. Some managers aren't, simple as that.

Fosu-Mens

Wouldn't be surprised, which feeds into the following...….

…...quote.

Some managers just don't have it in them to raise their game and manage a big club. Regarding Ole, you could even go so far back as to his playing career...…….now, this is probably gonna ruffle some feathers but.....

Ole was never the main man. He was best known and best loved as a supersub - the guy you bring on under the radar to kill teams when they least expected it. In other words, a kind of underdog!

He thrived in that role to an immense level. When he first arrived as caretaker, with absolutely no pressure on him at all, he thrived. As soon as he was made permanent and was then expected to be The Man...….what happened? A decline in his performance and the team's.

He isn't capable of being The Man at a big club. Some managers aren't, simple as that.
So we have to wait until United becomes a small and underdog mentality club for OGS and his "tactics" to be effective again?? Suddenly some of his statements make sense...

I don't think this has so much to do with him being mentally ready or capable, it is more down to the fact that he and the team either lack the understanding or are unable to coach the team into playing a certain way. This is also influenced by not having players that can pass or function when on the ball and not on the counter. An issue that should have been addressed during the summer.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Our best manager since Steve Coppell, hands down. Seeing him out there last night at the end of the game hugging every player off the pitch was fantastic, I can only hope I am that passionate at 72.

What is even more impressive is how he is doing this despite being outrageously unsupported in the transfer market. He’s spent about £15m in three transfer windows...we didn’t even buy a replacement for AWB ffs and he’s also had to deal with losing quality like Loftus-Cheek, Cabaye and Batshuayi with nowhere near adequate replacements coming in. Last night we finished with a defence consisting of a left winger at left back, a centre midfielder at centre half and a centre-back at right back, whilst only having 10 players on the pitch. Even then we looked just as likely to score as Bournemouth and the hot prospect Eddie Howe, if not moreso.

It’s not the most exciting of styles sometimes and he can be a bit slow to react in games but I wouldn’t swap him for anyone in the league.

KGBhoy

I was reading some old threads and comments...God, the disrespect towards Hodgson. The man has serious standing in the game. Too many were blinded by his failure at Liverpool and the worst England squad in 30 years.
Definitely. You could simply look at his work at Inter, Blackburn, and Switzerland. The man has had a great career.

Red Royal

I think there is a whole host of very good managers who are just suited tomanage clubs outside if the top 6 (The likes of Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis etc). Hodgson is one of the best of those, a lot of respect for him.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think there is a whole host of very good managers who are just suited tomanage clubs outside if the top 6 (The likes of Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis etc). Hodgson is one of the best of those, a lot of respect for him.
What about Nuno from Wolves?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He does well at mid range clubs. Forgotten he finished 5th with Blackburn in his only full season there although things went very wrong at the start of the next season.

Then did brilliantly at Fulham and also to lesser extent at West Brom.

Considering he took over at Palace when they'd lost 7 in a row or whatever at the start of 17/18 it's another tick. Football might not be that exciting but it's certainly effective against other bottom half teams home and away.

He's in his early 70s now so will probably retire in next year or two. Love his hair aswell. :lol:

Edit: It's interesting looking back at his time with England. Tournament results were poor but he came in between two generations. The Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard era was coming to a close with them all in their early 30s and the one that was suppose to replace them spent so much time out injured: Phil Jones, Wilshere, Welbeck, Carroll (both scored at euro 2012), Daniel Sturridge etc.

Rooney was also declining from 2012 onwards. He only got likes of Dele Ali, Kane and Sterling in last year or two of his reign and someone like Sterling still had plenty of flaws in his game.

I often think he was caught between two stools as England manager. I'm sure he wanted to play the cautious sitting back game that works for him at likes of Palace (and often works out well for majority of teams at international level) but the press were demanding some cavalier attacking team selections so you saw England starting games v likes of Italy in 2014 world cup with 4 strikers which left things too light in central midfield. The Uruguay game was also unlucky as Godin should've been sent off after 20 minutes.

Less said about Euro 2016 the better, he really did mess that tournament up from start to finish.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He does well at mid range clubs. Forgotten he finished 5th with Blackburn in his only full season there although things went very wrong at the start of the next season.

Then did brilliantly at Fulham and also to lesser extent at West Brom.

Considering he took over at Palace when they'd lost 7 in a row or whatever at the start of 17/18 it's another tick. Football might not be that exciting but it's certainly effective against other bottom half teams home and away.

He's in his early 70s now so will probably retire in next year or two. Love his hair aswell. :lol:

Edit: It's interesting looking back at his time with England. Tournament results were poor but he came in between two generations. The Gerrard, Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard era was coming to a close with them all in their early 30s and the one that was suppose to replace them spent so much time out injured: Phil Jones, Wilshere, Welbeck, Carroll (both scored at euro 2012), Daniel Sturridge etc.

Rooney was also declining from 2012 onwards. He only got likes of Dele Ali, Kane and Sterling in last year or two of his reign and someone like Sterling still had plenty of flaws in his game.

I often think he was caught between two stools as England manager. I'm sure he wanted to play the cautious sitting back game that works for him at likes of Palace (and often works out well for majority of teams at international level) but the press were demanding some cavalier attacking team selections so you saw England starting games v likes of Italy in 2014 world cup with 4 strikers which left things too light in central midfield. The Uruguay game was also unlucky as Godin should've been sent off after 20 minutes.

Less said about Euro 2016 the better, he really did mess that tournament up from start to finish.
I've already said it on this thread (this page even) but he's in his element when there's no expectations outside of avoiding the drop, without the pressure of having to do this and that he seems to always overachieve, often spectacularly.

However when he takes jobs on where the expectations are massive he can't adapt and gives the impression he can't understand why his results at Fulham are well below even minimum requirement at a club like Liverpool.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've already said it on this thread (this page even) but he's in his element when there's no expectations outside of avoiding the drop, without the pressure of having to do this and that he seems to always overachieve, often spectacularly.

However when he takes jobs on where the expectations are massive he can't adapt and gives the impression he can't understand why his results at Fulham are well below even minimum requirement at a club like Liverpool.
And for the national team?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Miracle worker. Arsenal should be all over him in the summer.
He'd have them in a relegation battle and expect them to be happy about it. Palace is his level. He works wonders at clubs like them, West Brom, Fulham etc where the expectations are lower.

Put him in charge of a club with high expectations and he'll fail.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And for the national team?
Yeah pretty much

He did okay in Euro 2012 although he was also sort of in a not too much pressure situation there given he was drafted in late so even a group stage exit wouldn't have been held against him, so in many ways he was in his "can only really gain from this" element. When it got to the next 2 tournament's the pressure cranked up and he couldn't cope.

Most manager's tend to have a ceiling where they go from good enough to suddenly out of their depth (for example Warnock is excellent in the Championship but hopeless in the PL, Emery is excellent with sides happy to be in Europa but woeful at sides that want more to pluck 2 example's) and Roy's limit seems to be clubs who see results above merely avoiding the drop as a bonus instead of requirement, whenever he's started a season at a PL club the time he's looked most at risk of relegation was at Liverpool which says everything.

Nickelodeon

Too much unnecessary hate for Hodgson here. Give the man at least a bit of credit. Look at their squad and their spending relative to their competitors. Benteke and Jordan Ayew are first choice strikers. Bang average across every other area as well barring Zaha.

With an owner who doesn't want to / can't spend, they need Roy. And he has done an absolutely fantastic job. Plus you would associate an old English manager with a boring style of play, but some of you should give CP a watch. They have surprised me quite often.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Yeah the Fulham side were a good watch. Didnt watch the Palace game but I heard it was the best performance of the week.

simplyared

If I was a Palace player couldn't see myself being inspired by an ageing Roy Hodson. Think is time is up tbh. The club's going in the wrong direction. Lost there last 4 games and have a difficult run in. Zaha looks like he'll be stinking the place out if nobody comes in for him. Sack looming!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They are safe. Nothing to play for . Isn't it how they performed last year as well ?

Which better manager would be ready to take over ? They don't spend any money and seems to be happy with midtable.

I said the same yesterday, the squad is also quite old and needs rebuilding. Roy isn't the guy to take them forward. I think their next manager should be a progressive manager that can play some attractive football. Their rivals Brighton have shown it can be done. Cc @Shipperley

dbs235

If I was a Palace player couldn't see myself being inspired by an ageing Roy Hodson. Think is time is up tbh. The club's going in the wrong direction. Lost there last 4 games and have a difficult run in. Zaha looks like he'll be stinking the place out if nobody comes in for him. Sack looming!
The problem with them sacking him is can they find a young progressive manager that is willing to join them can do the job with their resources? Roy is the safe option for them at least until such a manager becomes available, and even then it's a gamble.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think you are being harsh on the Hodge! He has done very well with a makeshift team and hasn’t even been allowed to reinvest the AWB money. All season with defensive injuries, plus Benteke or Ayew up front.

Since the restart they have had nothing to play for, but if they sacked him, I would be very wary. He is a steady hand at a time where teams with more talent are in trouble.

simplyared

They are safe. Nothing to play for . Isn't it how they performed last year as well ?

Which better manager would be ready to take over ? They don't spend any money and seems to be happy with midtable.
They maybe safe now but with Hodson at the helm and going on present form it wouldn't get me excited for the new season. He must be replaced imho!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I said the same yesterday, the squad is also quite old and needs rebuilding. Roy isn't the guy to take them forward. I think their next manager should be a progressive manager that can play some attractive football. Their rivals Brighton have shown it can be done. Cc @Shipperley
Brighton are 6 points behind Palace, and still had survival to play for on the restart.

Brighton also has the luxury of spending 70 million in the summer while poor Roy got 5 million and lost his best defender.

#harshonthehodge

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not a huge fan of Woy when it comes to the elite end of the spectrum but he’s done a cracking job at Palace and Fulham. Both sides punched above their weight, were regular headaches for big sides and quite interesting to watch when in the mood.