Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

Castia

I think keeping Hodgson for a year is wise, he’s obviously got a big impact at the club. I’d spend the next 12 months getting potential future managers though he can’t go on forever

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Weren't they supposed to be in for Potter?

Maybe he turned them down and wanted a longer break
Who would you rather have, a bloke who failed at Chelsea or an experienced man who led his country to the knockouts in the Euros?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Potter didn’t work his way to Chelsea just to end up at Palace. He’ll be hanging on for one of the big teams getting trigger happy before Christmas
I think the best he can hope for is Newcastle because none of the traditional big teams or City will go for him.

crossy1686

career ending
I think the best he can hope for is Newcastle because none of the traditional big teams or City will go for him.
He isn’t good enough, that’s for sure, but it’s one of those things where the longer he’s available and the longer a team continue to do badly the more ‘right’ it feels before there’s only Warnock and Big Sam available.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Don't see it. When (not if) Howe gets the boot they'll be going for a "big name" to take over. Potter with a due respect wouldn't come into that category.
I don't think they're at that point where they can attract a really big name. I could see them going for the likes of de Zerbi but I don't think Potter should be ruled out. He was thrown into a bad situation, remember that Howe got relegated with Bournemouth before joining Newcastle.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
CP really lack ambition
I think the term ‘ambition’ is always a bit subjective to be fair. Leeds showed ambition signing that Rutter fella for £36m and he barely kicked a ball before they got relegated.

In the absence of our owners wanting to inject hundreds of millions in to the club which is sadly where we’re at, I think their ambition is ultimately to develop the club’s infrastructure so we can generate more income organically. That’s partly through player development/sales, for which we opened an elite CAT 1 academy in 2021 and now have several players we could sell for a huge profit after some canny recruitment. And partly through increasing matchday income, for which we’re breaking ground on increasing the capacity of Selhurst by 8,000 seats next summer. If you believe The Athletic we spoke to Potter, Fonseca and Rodgers at various points but couldn’t agree for whatever reason. If those were our targets and we couldn’t get them then sticking with Roy makes absolute sense to me, the worst thing we could do at this stage is appoint a fancy name that gets us relegated before the new stand is built and the academy starts paying off. Vieira was a 4th choice candidate and we know how that ended.

That’s also overlooking the fact that Roy simply did a cracking job when he came back and our most important players stepped up multiple levels. The fan in me would love to see us chuck hundreds of millions at players and appoint a name, but accepting that’s not the reality of our situation the businessman in me kind of understands the approach we’re taking.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Feck me, I actually thought he had died. My heart dropped to my stomach for a brief second.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Lost his marbles in that interview. Old man probably needs to walk away from the game.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Will get the Brentford game but if we don’t win he’ll be gone I think.

Club’s a mess though, be glad if the owners could sack themselves off while they’re at it.

cj_sparky

Will get the Brentford game but if we don’t win he’ll be gone I think.

Club’s a mess though, be glad if the owners could sack themselves off while they’re at it.
Hodgson has done well to last this long, Textor binned off two managers by the end of November at Lyon.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Hodgson has done well to last this long, Textor binned off two managers by the end of November at Lyon.
Textor has little influence at Palace despite being the largest individual shareholder, one of our many problems.

cj_sparky

Textor has little influence at Palace despite being the largest individual shareholder, one of our many problems.
Mental, didn't actually know that. Always feel sorry for Palace fans, especially when your other Americans actively had an interest in the Chelsea takeover and one of their companies was linked to buying equity in us as well.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
wasn’t there a bit of hype around Franca what happened there
He’s not getting many chances. Eze was dreadful tonight and should have come off about 15 minutes before he gave away the penalty, that was the time to get Franca on.

Given the decision to appoint Roy, spending so much on a Brazilian teenager appears to be another huge mistake from the board. Especially after losing Wilf, we really had to get the replacement signing right and it’s been a total failure.

Oranges038

Only won 1 from 12 since beating Utd.

I'd say that warrants a look at his sack.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Mental, didn't actually know that. Always feel sorry for Palace fans, especially when your other Americans actively had an interest in the Chelsea takeover and one of their companies was linked to buying equity in us as well.
Yep, he’s regularly out-voted by Parish, Harris and Blitzer and there’s absolutely nothing he can do about it. Not that I particularly trust him either to be fair, they all need to go.

Ludens the Red

Never should have sacked vieira. Should have ridden out the bad results which iirc were mostly against big sides. They’ve just set themselves back again really for what they thought was short term gain.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Never should have sacked vieira. Should have ridden out the bad results which iirc were mostly against big sides. They’ve just set themselves back again really for what they thought was short term gain.
It wasn’t the wrong move to sack Vieira, people forget we didn’t have a shot for 3 games under him.

It was definitely the wrong move to extend Roy for another year though, that’s clear.

Ludens the Red

It wasn’t the wrong move to sack Vieira, people forget we didn’t have a shot for 3 games under him.

It was definitely the wrong move to extend Roy for another year though, that’s clear.
Yeah but that’s what I mean, should have ridden it out. He was trying to change your style and there were bound to be bumps. But yeah extending Hodgsons stay was absolute madness. It’s a really weird safety net thing your board have going on with . So afraid of change. How are they not done with these Big Sam, Pulis, Hodgson types.

Devil81

He's been a good manager over the years but I watched him being interviewed after a match a few weeks back and I'm not sure he's up to it anymore. Surely the pressure and stress can't be good for a man of his age.

I think the sensible decision would be part ways with him in a respectful manner given all he's given their club. They won't go down this season, I'd say they should let him see out the season and part ways in the summer.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Be a sad way for him to go out. Probably should have stayed retired and kept his legacy intact.
His legacy wont be hurt if he gets sacked. A long career and has been an excellent manager. Always willing to help others managed at a number of different ladders. His long history as a manager means he will leave the game incredibly well respected by players and managers.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Bit of a nothing club, they have stopped yo-yoing back to the championship but they've seen their rivals come in and become a much better PL team inside half the time in the league.

They'll get sucked back into relegation scraps soon enough.

Oscar Bonavena

His legacy wont be hurt if he gets sacked. A long career and has been an excellent manager. Always willing to help others managed at a number of different ladders. His long history as a manager means he will leave the game incredibly well respected by players and managers.
I really meant his legacy at Palace, but yes I take your point. Still be a sad way to end his career if he got the sack but that's football unfortunately!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He called the fans spoilt recently. I think they have the right o be annoyed. They’re now an established club in the league, they should try to push up into the European places

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Got to say, they didn't look good last night. Looked void of ideas, creativity and composure. Kind of criminal we lost to them. Genuinely look like a bunch of lads in the park.

Wonder if they still have a Christmas hangover.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Looked void of ideas, creativity and composure.
That’s us in a nutshell. Other than Doucoure who is out for the season we’ve got two stellar players in Olise and Guehi, two very good players in Andersen and Eze, a couple of midtable players in Henderson and Mitchell…the rest of the squad is full of shite that would have been replaced long ago at any other PL club (Ward, Clyne, Schlupp, Riedewald, Ayew, Mateta etc) or young players that just aren’t getting a chance under Roy (Franca, Ahamada, Ozoh, Rak-Sakyi). It’s all a bit of a mess.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That’s us in a nutshell. Other than Doucoure who is out for the season we’ve got two stellar players in Olise and Guehi, two very good players in Andersen and Eze, a couple of midtable players in Henderson and Mitchell…the rest of the squad is full of shite that would have been replaced long ago at any other PL club (Ward, Clyne, Schlupp, Riedewald, Ayew, Mateta etc) or young players that just aren’t getting a chance under Roy (Franca, Ahamada, Ozoh, Rak-Sakyi). It’s all a bit of a mess.
When did this happen? That’s a humongous blow. I thought you midfield lacked a bit of bite and composure (a lot of the ball composure was coming from Andersen and Guehi) and it’s no wonder when your best and most powerful midfielder is missing.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
When did this happen? That’s a humongous blow. I thought you midfield lacked a bit of bite and composure (a lot of the ball composure was coming from Andersen and Guehi) and it’s no wonder when your best and most powerful midfielder is missing.
A few weeks ago when we lost to Luton. Roy is playing Chris Richards at DM now, he’s a CB :(