Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
There is one tiny glimmer of hope I am clinging to in all of this. In Roy’s first 18 months when he had some proper footballers like Cabaye and Loftus-Cheek to work with we played some very good stuff at times, including a 5-0 demolition of our next opponents Leicester. It wasn’t the Royball we knew by the end of his tenure where it’s fair to say most of the quality bar Zaha had left and not been adequately replaced.

Expecting we’ll now go back to a 4-4-2 and it’ll look something like:

Guaita
Clyne Guehi Andersen Mitchell
Olise Doucoure Lokonga Eze
Zaha Edouard

Vieira was never able to find a system that could accommodate all of Olise, Eze, Zaha and Edouard. Maybe - just maybe - this is it.
Got this Roy back so far, love it

GazTheLegend

I raised an eyebrow at him coming back but wow. He is such a likeable man and manager and a gentleman and I have to say although it was a shock that Vieira went, it's already justified. He's proven that at clubs like Palace and Fulham he can have them punching at a European level before. And he wrecked Liverpool for a season so even more reason to be happy for him.

arthurka

He should be in our good books having given his absolute best wrecking Liverpool

lsd

The Oracle
Seems to be making people look a bit foolish so far saying it was a backwards step and Viera should not have been sacked.

Can't remember the last time Palace scored five

stw2022

I raised an eyebrow at him coming back but wow. He is such a likeable man and manager and a gentleman and I have to say although it was a shock that Vieira went, it's already justified. He's proven that at clubs like Palace and Fulham he can have them punching at a European level before. And he wrecked Liverpool for a season so even more reason to be happy for him.
I thought he got raw end of Liverpool deal. Benitez left them in absolute free-fall and they barely gave him any time. Yeah it wasn't great, but he didn't walk into a smooth operation and feck it up as the narrative now insists

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I thought he got raw end of Liverpool deal. Benitez left them in absolute free-fall and they barely gave him any time. Yeah it wasn't great, but he didn't walk into a smooth operation and feck it up as the narrative now insists
Like his time managing England demonstrated, he's not the best at managing egos.

He's shown throughout his career that he can get the best out of a mid or lower table team, where expectations are lower, to get them performing to their best potential.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
13 points from 6 games if my math is correct. At 75 no less.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I admire the fact that , even though Palace were getting pulled into the relegation scrap before Hodgson arrived , he still gets them playing good football to get out of that situation.

Antithesis of the football Dyche and Allardyce produce in similar circumstances.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Hodgson has been defined by a shit spell at Liverpool and not getting a tune out of a mostly past it England team stuck in the past.

Whereas in reality he is a successful, well respected and well travelled coach. I honestly think the way he is spoken about is horrendous and the rampant accepted ageism surrounding his most recent appointment was extremely sad to see.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
You’re Steve Parish…are you asking Roy to stay on for another season? Curious for latest takes on this. 5 wins in 8 for context.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You’re Steve Parish…are you asking Roy to stay on for another season? Curious for latest takes on this. 5 wins in 8 for context.
No way, you guys got the boost needed and lifted the mood. There is no way he should stay on. He has absolutely served his purpose and cleansed the mood after the stale air of a defensive Vieira. I say this as a Roy fan.

It’s times to look to someone progressive and take advantage of the fantastic young players at the club now.

Asking him to stay would be a mistake and performances would return to type next season.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Hodgson has been defined by a shit spell at Liverpool and not getting a tune out of a mostly past it England team stuck in the past.

Whereas in reality he is a successful, well respected and well travelled coach. I honestly think the way he is spoken about is horrendous and the rampant accepted ageism surrounding his most recent appointment was extremely sad to see.
Indeed, he actually has a really impressive CV and pedigree, but the football hipsters on here won't respect that because he's old and English.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If the right candidate doesn't emerge then yes.

Personally although I think it would represent a massive step up I think Kieran McKenna and Michael Carrick should both be under discussion.

Carlos Cuesta could be worth a punt and if he could secure someone like Balogun that would be big for you lot.

Obviously Potter would be a good shout were it not for the Brighton connection.

Will Still is obviously a stand out candidate also.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Sounds like this could be happening then...knowing Steve Parish I half expected it might. On the one hand Roy’s a known quantity but at some point I wish my football club would just be a bit bolder. There are so many good potential candidates out there compared to when we appointed Vieira - Fonseca, Glasner, Potter, even potentially Slot could all be available with some convincing and ‘the bag’ thrown at them (there seem to be more decent Managers out there than jobs right now). Smacks of kicking the can down the road and playing it safe again to me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sounds like this could be happening then...knowing Steve Parish I half expected it might. On the one hand Roy’s a known quantity but at some point I wish my football club would just be a bit bolder. There are so many good potential candidates out there compared to when we appointed Vieira - Fonseca, Glasner, Potter, even potentially Slot could all be available with some convincing and ‘the bag’ thrown at them (there seem to be more decent Managers out there than jobs right now). Smacks of kicking the can down the road and playing it safe again to me.
Do you think that suggests you have feck all money? It seems weird to let Hodgson stay and commit to transfers assuming he will leave at the end or during it.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Do you think that suggests you have feck all money? It seems weird to let Hodgson stay and commit to transfers assuming he will leave at the end or during it.
I mean there’s rarely much money at Palace other than the one blow-out window we had when Vieira came in. That was only possible as we released about 14 players and brought younger players in on lower wages and long contracts to negate the impact on the books.

It’s actually a similar story this summer, I think 7 or 8 will head out the door including some big earners like Zaha, Milivojevic and a few others, that should give us the bandwidth for a £30-40m window. A big sale (likely Guehi) will also give us some more room.

Only thing I can think of is that the board know how important Eze will be when Wilf goes and Roy’s shown he can get the best out of him. The whole team seems to have stepped up a level to be fair. Dougie Freedman handles recruitment at Palace so I think we’d likely be signing the same targets irrespective of which Manager comes in.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Good watch this, Parish talks a fair bit about why he pulled the trigger on Vieira and chose to reappoint Roy. Having watched it we will so be offering him another deal haha.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I mean there’s rarely much money at Palace other than the one blow-out window we had when Vieira came in. That was only possible as we released about 14 players and brought younger players in on lower wages and long contracts to negate the impact on the books.

It’s actually a similar story this summer, I think 7 or 8 will head out the door including some big earners like Zaha, Milivojevic and a few others, that should give us the bandwidth for a £30-40m window. A big sale (likely Guehi) will also give us some more room.

Only thing I can think of is that the board know how important Eze will be when Wilf goes and Roy’s shown he can get the best out of him. The whole team seems to have stepped up a level to be fair. Dougie Freedman handles recruitment at Palace so I think we’d likely be signing the same targets irrespective of which Manager comes in.
Will be interesting to track how that goes. You have a lot of excellent young players that can be part of a great little team if you get the recruitment around them spot on.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Good watch this, Parish talks a fair bit about why he pulled the trigger on Vieira and chose to reappoint Roy. Having watched it we will so be offering him another deal haha.

Would you take Potter given his history with us?

MegadrivePerson

Out of interest where do you think Guehi will go?

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Would you take Potter given his history with us?
I rate him highly as you know but no, I don’t think I would. I always roll my eyes when West Ham or Spurs fans say it but the ‘Palace DNA’ for me is about being relatively direct, attacking with pace and having skifull ball carriers in the side. Our build-up’s definitely evolved a bit since Roy came in again and we’ve managed to blend some good possession football in at times as well, but personally I’d be worried Potter would take us away from that and in to a possession/pass for the sake of it side and negate our biggest strengths. Not convinced he suits the players we have or the players that are coming through the academy at the moment either.