Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Baffled by what Palace are doing.

Vieira was sacked for less than this a year ago. Could understand Hodgson coming back as short term caretaker to keep them up but why are they then giving a guy in his mid 70s the next season?

Did they even interview anyone else over the summer? You'd think they'd be approaching Steve Cooper unless he wants a few months off.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Baffled by what Palace are doing.

Vieira was sacked for less than this a year ago. Could understand Hodgson coming back as short term caretaker to keep them up but why are they then giving a guy in his mid 70s the next season?

Did they even interview anyone else over the summer? You'd think they'd be approaching Steve Cooper unless he wants a few months off.
We were playing well at the end of the season and the players seemed happy. I didn’t want Roy in the summer but if a candidate we wanted wasn’t available you could kinda loosely justify why he got an extra year. However now there is no doubt, he needs to go now.

Problem is I don’t think Steve Cooper’s the answer either, will just be more of the same. Who else is going to come mid-season? Grim.

Telsim

Apparently Potter was in the stadium? Rumour is they might be looking at him, but I can't tell if that's because he was simply there.

It's the end of the line for good ol' Roy, thought.

Blood Mage

Potter would be a good appointment for them. I think he'll be holding out for a slightly bigger club though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Palace seem to be happy to be a midtable club who don't have to worry about relegation or feel the pressure of trying for a European finish or a cup run. They're just there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Palace seem to be happy to be a midtable club who don't have to worry about relegation or feel the pressure of trying for a European finish or a cup run. They're just there.
Hodgson has been able to new manager bounce them out of trouble the last few years. The day he finally says no to returning will probably be the day Palace go down.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We were playing well at the end of the season and the players seemed happy. I didn’t want Roy in the summer but if a candidate we wanted wasn’t available you could kinda loosely justify why he got an extra year. However now there is no doubt, he needs to go now.

Problem is I don’t think Steve Cooper’s the answer either, will just be more of the same. Who else is going to come mid-season? Grim.
It was a very very easy fixture list to end that season, Vieira would've won some of those matches aswell tbh. I watched you v Everton in I think late April and that was a very boring 0-0 (no different to the cup game the other week).

So Roy did his job but to then give him another season for beating Leeds 5-1 was very odd.

Cooper if I remember was interviewed for Palace job in summer 2021. Since then took a team up to prem and kept them up and also has decent track record working with young players from his time with England and establishing Gibbs White as good prem midfielder.

Look at what came on today, Franca, Ahamada and think Rak-Sakyi is injured. You really need one of those to kick on in next 18 months given Olise or Eze will probably be sold in that timeframe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would destroy his Brighton legacy if he went there.
It's a very bizarre rivalry isn't it, 50 + miles ffs. :lol: Steve Coppell managed both clubs in his time and Glenn Murray did well at both so doubt he'll be getting death threats from anyone.

As said above Brighton moved on from Potter now with the impact De Zerbi has made plus they thrashed Chelsea when Potter went back last season.

Trequarista10

Tbf it's quite an achievement to stick around as a midtable club. They're in their 11th season, which is the 9th longest spell of current PL teams. There's probably 30-40 clubs nationwide who are a similiar size to them who frequently bounce between divisions or are stuck in the Championship (or lower). Their stadium is the 35th largest in England, which is roughly reflective of their stature.

In general I think the clubs/fans should be careful what they wish for. There's countless examples of mid sized clubs pushing for more, either investment or more expansive tactics, and falling down the leagues as a result. Palace themselves have tried and failed with De Boer and Vieira (although Vieira had a good start). The likes of Hodgson, Pardew, Pulis keeping them above relegation is a huge success for Palace, even if its bland and the ceiling is about where they are. There's 30-40 similiar sized clubs who would happily swap places with them in a heartbeat.

Joel Miller

I have a lot of time for Hodgson but I think a temporary post would have been the smartest way to go. Giving the gig to a guy his age on a full time basis doesn’t really seem to be very forward thinking. If he was a real top level coach and just doing an incredible job then maybe I could understand it.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Been managing since 1976, time for retirement me thinks. Should get a payoff as well for extra padding.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He could pass for a Brazilian manager judging solely by the length of the "Managerial Career" box on his wiki page.

Oscar Bonavena

It's a very bizarre rivalry isn't it, 50 + miles ffs. :lol:
Similar distance from Liverpool to Manchester, or from Manchester to Leeds!

But with the amount of clubs in London, it is a bit of a weird one! Do Palace have a bitter rivalry with any London club? Millwall, Charlton.....?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Similar distance from Liverpool to Manchester, or from Manchester to Leeds!

But with the amount of clubs in London, it is a bit of a weird one! Do Palace have a bitter rivalry with any London club? Millwall, Charlton.....?
Charlton are south of the river and relegated them on final day of 2005 prem season so issues there although they haven't played each other for a long time.

My other half supports Palace and actually used to work in the digital marketing team for Brighton so our first date was basically an hour of me grilling her about that. :lol:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
This isn’t even a surprise, saw the team today and knew we’d be mauled. For the love of God get rid.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No Eze or Olise so the team Palace have out is completely terrible but incredible Hodgson is still there.

Palace are completely directionless so usually in that state relegation happens sooner or later. They're lucky that Burnley and Sheffield are so bad they're both pretty much down already.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Back to Liverpool in the summer :drool:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Squad isn’t great but way, way better than he has us playing. Absolute surrender ball, picks sh*t like Schlupp week after week and throws the youngsters under the bus at the first opportunity, absolutely pathetic set-piece coaching, I can’t tell you how bad it is. Had us hanging on against Sheffield Utd at home on Tuesday night. The buck stops with Roy.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
This is surely it for poor ol' Woy. Time to retire and enjoy your golden years

Oscar Bonavena

Good man Roy. Leave your star player on the bench because he's nursing a hamstring injury, then bring him on at half time when you're 3-0 down and it's more or less game over, then have him come off after 8 minutes after his hamstring goes again!

A Sunday league manager wouldn't do that, absolutely shocking mistake for a man of Hodgson's experience!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
That midfield and attack lineup today was as bad as it gets. Really terrible.

Surely the likes of França and Ahamada could offer more than Jeff Schlup and Richards in midfield.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
There doesn’t seem to be any appetite to sack him from the club, especially as he is soaking up all the abuse and still defending Parish and the board. His post match interview was fair bizarre and waffles today I thought, the belligerent old goat!

Monks_United

I hear the Liverpool job is gonna be vacant by the end of this season. Give it to Woy as he still has unfinished business at the scouse mothership

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hear the Liverpool job is gonna be vacant by the end of this season. Give it to Woy as he still has unfinished business at the scouse mothership
Woy to Liverpool
Moyes to ManUtd
Hughes to City
Tactical Tim to Spurs
Lampard to Chelsea.