Roy Hodgson | #OpenToWork

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Weird to see how ropey they are on set pieces - usually about the only thing you can rely on a side like that to be half decent at.

Claiming crosses was the only thing Henderson could really do at PL level, and now he doesn't even do that anymore.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Everton and Burnley next two games.... could be the end for him if they lose both

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Palace could also beat Spurs and Newcastle.
They need about 16 pts from 14 games to stay up. 3/4 wins and a few draws and they'll be fine.
They’ll no doubt do it, but that’s just because there’s at least 3 teams worse than them currently in the league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Another example of a team kneejerking on an interim bounce.

In hindsight thankgod Lampard didn't get one.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
They’ll no doubt do it, but that’s just because there’s at least 3 teams worse than them currently in the league.
Now that Luton are showing some fight and finding ways to win the odd game, I'm really not sure there are three worse teams than Palace.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Now that Luton are showing some fight and finding ways to win the odd game, I'm really not sure there are three worse teams than Palace.
It’s all down to when we can get Eze and Olise back on the pitch, it’s that simple. Sheffield Utd beating Luton on the weekend was a huge result.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’s been in management for 48 years. He must absolutely love being a manager. He took his first job in 1976.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When palace have Eze and Olisse back there much stronger than the other 3

simplyared

Not often I switch off the telly before the end of a PL match. Usually see them through no matter what. However Palace v Chelsea yesterday I lasted 70 mins. Chelsea are a shambles of a team but Palace were so bad. The fact he's still their manager is a mystery. Owners must have avoiding relegation as the main objective!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He needs to step aside, he's holding back younger managers from getting chances. Crystal Palace need to let the man retire.

iHicksy

He needs to step aside, he's holding back younger managers from getting chances. Crystal Palace need to let the man retire.
Err what? He literally did step aside, they hired Viera a younger manager to replace him and then they sacked him and begged Roy to come back. Hardly his fault.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
agreed. it’s like when mourinho managed united and had to live in a hotel because all the older managers were in the manager’s houses.

iHicksy

Well it is because he came back
The owners begged him to come back and he did so because he loved the club you silly sausage. They tried to replace him with a younger manager, he left. The club was in trouble, and he was begged to return to steady the ship, which again he did. He's really not at fault here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The owners begged him to come back and he did so because he loved the club you silly sausage. They tried to replace him with a younger manager, he left. The club was in trouble, and he was begged to return to steady the ship, which again he did. He's really not at fault here.
I think sometimes as a manager you need to know when to step aside again though. He's had some decent results this season but also made terrible decisions and said some things which are the sign of a senile bloke.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
‘Pinch of salt‘ stuff but my understanding is that Roy has no issue with stepping aside and would gladly do so as a ‘mutual consent’ thing if asked. The issue from what I hear is that Parish wants Steve Cooper who is still under a severance agreement from Forest until the summer, so he’s not willing to take the job at this point. Then you’re looking around thinking who might want to take it on an interim basis until the summer…Allardyce? Pardew? The names are just as grim, though my personal view is we just need a different voice and energy at this point.

I can well imagine that Roy is still hanging in there mainly due to his loyalty to the club and not wanting to leave it in the lurch (plus the £4m a year of course), which is why him being booed is quite sad to see. The situation is ultimately Parish and the Board’s f*** up, though Roy hasn’t helped himself with that Olise substitution in particular.

Last edited:

MegadrivePerson

‘Pinch of salt‘ stuff but my understanding is that Roy has no issue with stepping aside and would gladly do so as a ‘mutual consent’ thing if asked. The issue from what I hear is that Parish wants Steve Cooper who is still under a severance agreement from Forest until the summer, so he’s not willing to take the job at this point. Then you’re looking around thinking who might want to take it on an interim basis until the summer…Allardyce? Pardew? The names are just as grim, though my personal view is we just need a different voice and energy at this point.

I can well imagine that Roy is still hanging in there mainly due to his loyalty to the club and not wanting to leave it in the lurch (plus the £4m a year of course), which is why him being booed is quite sad to see. The situation is ultimately Parish and the Board’s f*** up, though Roy hasn’t helped himself with that Olise substitution in particular.
I think if you stick with Hodgson until the end of the season you're in real danger of going down.

Bunley and Sheffield United are basically gone, but there's not much in it between Palace, Luton, Forrest and Everton. Of the four I think Everton are by far the strongest, then Palace, then it's a toss up between Forest and Luton.

Somebody like Jesse Marsch until the season would be my pick. He's available, experienced and would help to give the club a bit of a lift and a change of ideas.

Oranges038

I think if you stick with Hodgson until the end of the season you're in real danger of going down.

Bunley and Sheffield United are basically gone, but there's not much in it between Palace, Luton, Forrest and Everton. Of the four I think Everton are by far the strongest, then Palace, then it's a toss up between Forest and Luton.

Somebody like Jesse Marsch until the season would be my pick. He's available, experienced and would help to give the club a bit of a lift and a change of ideas.
Guaranteed relegation.

Jose would be a great punt for the last few months.

Brophs

The One and Only
Clubs always fall into the trap of hiring managers just because they look like owls. It rarely, if ever, pays off in the long run.

Fr. Todd Unctious

If that's Palace's/Parrish's reasoning it's f***ing nuts. Wouldn't take much for them to be dragged into a relegation scrap. Forest, Luton and Everton could all go on a bit of a run (Everton could even get some or even all of their points back) they'd be better moving Roy aside now even bringing in Allardyce or Padew grim as they may be until the end of the season might be better than the status quo

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why did you sign Henderson for so much by the way when you had other glaring issues in the squad? Wharton was a top signing but feel like you do drop some clangers amongst those gems

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Clubs always fall into the trap of hiring managers just because they look like owls. It rarely, if ever, pays off in the long run.
they’re just appointments to turn heads, nothing more.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Why did you sign Henderson for so much by the way when you had other glaring issues in the squad? Wharton was a top signing but feel like you do drop some clangers amongst those gems
I’ll let you know once I work it out, think Johnstone is by far the better of the two GKs. We lost Guaita in the summer who was our Number 1 for many years but to spend £15m+ on Henderson and not bother to replace Wilf was absolutely mental when a £5m backup keeper would have been more than adequate and the team are struggling for goals.

Likewise, am very pleased with Wharton and signing a RB was long overdue as well (hadn’t paid a fee for one in over 10 years before Munoz), but not adding another attacking player in January was absolutely crazy. That was by far the biggest thing we needed to do in my opinion as we are utterly toothless without Eze and Olise.

From what I gather, our process is to go after these players over a long period of time and we’re willing to play the waiting game to get the player we want at a price we’re happy with…maybe that was just the case with Henderson when we signed him, it definitely was with Wharton who I know we have been tracking for ages. Problem is, it’s a very risky game when a squad has such obvious deficiencies.

cj_sparky

Palace's fixtures in the last 8 matches of the season are grim, face Bournemouth (A), City (H), Liverpool(A), West Ham (H), Fulham (A), Man Utd (H), Wolves (A) and Villa (H). Two teams in the title race, 3 teams looking for European places and 3 teams who are generally difficult away games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

This is going to seem like an insane post....but Lampard kept Everton up in very similar fashion in 21/22. Based in London and got decent form out of the younger players at Chelsea so while the initial news would probably be treated with hilarity given how bad his caretaker spell at Chelsea went I do think even someone like him is more likely than Hodgson at this point to get Palace four more wins.

Plus you know long term he won't do much as eventually happened at Everton so can let him go in the summer and then appoint Cooper if that's the end goal.

I did like the look of Wharton I must say, very calm passer so he'll probably turn out to be at top level what Will Hughes threatened but could never quite develop into, Munoz will probably become a fans favourite in time aswell so there is a bit of hope there with the January signings but you need the three key players to be back by April at the latest.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
If that's Palace's/Parrish's reasoning it's f***ing nuts. Wouldn't take much for them to be dragged into a relegation scrap. Forest, Luton and Everton could all go on a bit of a run (Everton could even get some or even all of their points back) they'd be better moving Roy aside now even bringing in Allardyce or Padew grim as they may be until the end of the season might be better than the status quo
Unless Nuno gets our defence sorted soon we are going down - thats before any potential points deduction.

tomaldinho1

Kind of feel sorry for old Woy now, I get he loves the club but can you really be completely switched on at 76?

I went to Palace in his previous stint and he looked on the verge of falling asleep in the dugout for most of the game, that was a few years back!

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Seems this could actually be happening which is a surprise. Get the feeling it’s Textor pushing it rather than Parish.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Roy’s due to give a press conference at 13.30 which is a pretty weird situation. No word that it’s been cancelled as yet!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Roy’s due to give a press conference at 13.30 which is a pretty weird situation. No word that it’s been cancelled as yet!
their minds tend to turn to mush at that age.