Roy Keane: “It’s not the club I played for. It's a really really sad night.”

United Hobbit

I'm sure if the likes of him, Scholes, Neville, Evra etc were to play the next few games they'd put in so much more effort and work rate than the current lot

Can you imagine them just walking round the pitch as Liverpool run rings round them?

I'd love to see a complete overhaul of the wage structure and scouting. Get players that want to be here not just those wanting to be here aa we earn more

Why didn't we try for players like Diaz and Jota?

The commentary said how one of the Liverpool players sprinted back to get to the ball despite them being 3 up, the lack of effort when they earn so much money is criminal.

Wish we could make them refund the fans who've paid money to watch their "performances" that may be the only thing that makes them try a hit to their wages...

I'd love for us to completely gut everything and put proper modern structures in place like Liverpool did, a proper wage bracket and players who don't care shown the door

Don't most of them earn more than the likes of Salah, who's actually helped Liverpool win things?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think every Man Utd fan is 100% behind Ten Hag and want him to both get the time and the resources to recreate the team in his own style. I don't think anyone would be upset to see him ship off the majority of the squad and start from scratch to be honest.
Not at all, but it also seems abundantly clear that the whole apparatus above and around the manager needs to be looked at. We have had four (five?) failed manager appointments in a row now and its the same story every time.

Starts out promising enough, then it starts to crack a bit before the wheels come off completely, then the manager takes the lions share of the blame and gets canned and its rinse and repeat.

Meanwhile we have players and staff who have outlived 5 fecking managers, who should be nowhere near any club with ambitions, yet we just keep plodding along the same path we have done before

Hackman2210

I love that comment by Keane - Ive said the same ting recently. This is not the club i grew up supporting. That club does not exist anymore. Neville said Man Utd are a monstrosity. so true. We are just a brand now, Pogba is here for instagram likes and marketing, he certainly isnt here to play. Same with Ronaldo - he may cost £20mill in wages but he brings that and more in sponsership. I will say this for CR7, to me he's proved he loves the club and will also be a red. The rest of them last night - ooof, you'd be hard pushed to pick out the ones you want to keep.
Lets keep our expectations in check - give the new manager time - 3years? Why not, I'm convinced we sacked Moyes too soon, we would certainly be ahead of where we are now had we kept him.
Its the hope that kills you!

Tarrou

everyone calling for him to come back

a short while ago everyone was berating United bringing people like Fletcher back

and Keane is a lunatic who can’t control his emotions when things don’t go well

but yeah give him a job! feck it

IrishRedDevil

everyone calling for him to come back

a short while ago everyone was berating United bringing people like Fletcher back

and Keane is a lunatic who can’t control his emotions when things don’t go well

but yeah give him a job! feck it
Well at least the cowards will be scared going back into the dressing room.

RedRover

Roy Keane shouldn’t even be allowed into the stands for free, he’s a complete dinosaur. His fake tough guy attitude worked in the 90’s, it’s not about this anymore. Both Liverpool and City are playing at the highest level ever seen in the Premier League, not many of their players are «tough guys», can’t think of a single one. They are however very good and schooled to the bone, unlike our players. Keane is clueless, he tried out as manager, failed spectacularly and has shown he does not get on with groups of people whom are not of similar ilk.
You don't need to be a world class manager to recognise a distinct lack of effort.

That Liverpool team is full of players who embody the attitude Roy Keane had as a player in terms of effort and tenacity. And if you think running around kicking people was the limit of his game you mustn't have seen him play.

He certainly wouldn't get along with this bunch of players. Overpaid, underworked and self-entitled. There's barely a winner amongst them. Utter disgrace to the club and the fans.

He's a United fan and he's disgusted at how far the club has fallen and I agree. he's absolutely spot on.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is the same club.
It is just that those running it and those having the privilege playing for it dont understand or more likely care about its values.
To them it is just another gravy train. And a very lucrative one at that.

I listened to Peter Schmichel saying this morning that before he was allowed to sign his contact, he had to fully understand the club history and what that meant to being part of Manchester United. And that history was continually drummed into the staff.

I can imagine what happens now:
This is the history of Manchester United.
Oh yeh. How much are you going to pay me....

Fear Derg

Supports
Celtic
Agree, and there's a few more as well, we can all harp back to the good old days, football has moved on alot. Technicall players are not the b all any more, it's the more athletic player who's got quality to go for 90mins in every position. City have them the scum do ,City have a squad of them. Utd along with others need them and there out there and it will happen again at Utd trouble is how long. Keane great player but he does rub people up the wrong way.
You and the person you are responding to are the reason people laugh at Man Utd fans as plastics

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Isn’t that the opposite of Keane though? His punditry is bloody mundane and full of absolutely zero substance. He seems to have no idea how to articulate the issues beyond saying they lack quality and effort.

Tonight he said Rashford ‘played like a child up front’. That’s not a substantial critique. In what way was Rashford childish? I’d argue he was soft or disinterested perhaps but childish? Childish would imply selfishness or naivety neither of which were particularly obvious tonight. Was Keane able to explain where Rashford was going wrong tonight?

Some of these players will have redemption stories at Man Utd. Dismissing them all out of hand is just silly. Yes, we will likely replace most of the squad over a period of time in the way that Liverpool have. But there will be a Jordan Henderson type who wasn’t overly loved who becomes a stalwart. We’ve already seen Fred begin to turn some around on their view of him.

We really do just need to scrap through to the summer with as many wins/pts as we can get and write this whole season off.
I would argue that that Keanes assessment of Rashford was spot on. He did play like a child. He didnt say he was childish. He looked like a 13 year old playing in the U18s team. Looked weaker, less confident, less stamina, less aware, weaker mental approach. Basically he looked like a child playing with adults. Comment is completely correct.

Hughie77

You and the person you are responding to are the reason people laugh at Man Utd fans as plastics
Your the plastic one sunshine. New member supports celtic, do one ! Did you go to Ot to watch Celtic get hammerd in CL few years back, I was there, watching Edwin vander sar just run around his box to keep warm. Fecking, bute.

Last edited:

Scaring Europe to Death

Supports
Manchester City
I hated Keane as a player, but there's a begrudging respect for his obsessive (bordering on nasty) desire to succeed. He's undeniably the pundit you want to watch after a poor United performance, and his name kept cropping up in conversations before the Brighton game last night.

Whether a return to Old Trafford would be a good idea is a completely different matter, and something only United fans can answer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Having read his books you could tell football absolutely was life and death with Keane. He very very nearly slipped through he the cracks and came up hard. It lifted him out of poverty and obscurity and gave him his purpose in life. He took no prisoners whatsoever. You knew he was playing for his and his families future and his own pride every time he pulled on the shirt. I’d say by the end of his career he was earning enough to totally secure his families future in a very comfortable manner but here now you have the likes of Rashford and Martial who are already completely set for life having achieved the square root of 0 apart from getting disproportionately famous on the back of this massive brand that has lost its way. Who cares if people don’t like their game, feck them they are loaded and could live off their instagrams for the rest of their lives. There’s very little to no incentive to improve. This is my brand like it or lump it. It’s uniteds problem until their contract is up. I really feel like the special youth lads since Ravel and Pogba that have come through our system super well off as teenagers and majorly entitled and expecting to stroll through life in second gear if they don’t find a situation to their liking in mens football. Right from Adnan all the way up to Greenwood. These are the guys that should be running themselves into the ground for us.

it’s tragic

Last edited:

The Oracle

The players on the pitch putting in zero effort and not fighting for the shirt is not on the Glazers.
Very true statement.

Zero effort on the pitch and not fighting for the shirt is on the players, and it clearly shows that the current crop of players we have are a disgrace.

cyberman

Having read his books you could tell football absolutely was life and death with Keane. He very very nearly slipped through he the cracks and came up hard. It lifted him out of poverty and obscurity and gave him his purpose in life. He took no prisoners whatsoever. You knew he was playing for his and his families future and his own pride every time he pulled on the shirt. I’d say by the end of his career he was earning enough to totally secure his families future in a very comfortable manner but here now you have the likes of Rashford and Martial who are already completely set for life having achieved the square root of 0 apart from getting disproportionately famous on the back of this massive brand that has lost its way. Who cares if people don’t like their game, feck them they are loaded and could live off their instagrams for the rest of their lives. There’s very little to no incentive to improve. This is my brand like it or lump it. It’s uniteds problem until their contract is up. I really feel like the special youth lads since Ravel and Pogba that have come through our system super well off as teenagers and majorly entitled and expecting to stroll through life in second gear if they don’t find a situation to their liking in mens football. Right from Adnan all the way up to Greenwood. These are the guys that should be running themselves into the ground for us.

it’s tragic
Not sure Keane lived a life of poverty to be honest

cyberman

He was from Irish traveller stock and he was on a FAS course playing football at 18. I doubt he was loaded and his prospects looked grim
Yeah but it’s not poverty. I was on FAS as a teenager! I don’t recall his family being travellers?
Not being loaded doesn’t mean poverty

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah but it’s not poverty. I was on FAS as a teenager! I don’t recall his family being travellers?
Not being loaded doesn’t mean poverty
They were from travelling stock living in mayfield which was widely regarded as the roughest area in Cork and he was playing football on FAS course having dropped out of school with no qualifications. Compared to what he became you can call that an escape from poverty unless you’re being pedantic. Ireland in the 80s was also super bleak.

Red00012

They were from travelling stock living in mayfield which was widely regarded as the roughest area in Cork and he was playing football on FAS course having dropped out of school with no qualifications. Compared to what he became you can call that an escape from poverty unless you’re being pedantic. Ireland in the 80s was also super bleak.
His family wasn’t from travelling stock.

Robbie Boy

Roy Keane shouldn’t even be allowed into the stands for free, he’s a complete dinosaur. His fake tough guy attitude worked in the 90’s, it’s not about this anymore. Both Liverpool and City are playing at the highest level ever seen in the Premier League, not many of their players are «tough guys», can’t think of a single one. They are however very good and schooled to the bone, unlike our players. Keane is clueless, he tried out as manager, failed spectacularly and has shown he does not get on with groups of people whom are not of similar ilk.
Absolute wanker of a post :lol:

cyberman

FAS isn’t for poor people. A lot of people used FAS to find a trade after school.
Hell I used FAS to live in Canada for a few months.