Roy Keane - at it again.

GBBQ

Everyone on Redcafe - We should be doing better than this, 4th isn't good enough, too many draws
Roy Keane - United should be doing better than this
Redcafe - Heresy!!!

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
We're not going to celebrate - it'll be strictly relief.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Everyone on Redcafe - We should be doing better than this, 4th isn't good enough, too many draws
Roy Keane - United should be doing better than this
Redcafe - Heresy!!!
Are you deliberately missing the point of what everyone is saying?

He's bemoaning something that is not and has not happened. Nobody disagrees that United should be doing better, the problem is that he's accusing "the club" (be that players, fans or whomever) of celebrating the position, which has not happened.

GBBQ

Are you deliberately missing the point of what everyone is saying?

He's bemoaning something that is not and has not happened. Nobody disagrees that United should be doing better, the problem is that he's accusing "the club" (be that players, fans or whomever) of celebrating the position, which has not happened.
It was tongue in cheek but Top 4 has been our potential league prize for the past 3 seasons. I'm sure plenty of United fans were chuffed when we got that in 14/15.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It was tongue in cheek but Top 4 has been our potential league prize for the past 3 seasons. I'm sure plenty of United fans were chuffed when we got that in 14/15.
Yea we were all happy that we made it verses having not done. Nobody celebrated.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Roy Keane is the mean/less brilliant version of SAF. He won't settle for 4th place or any place that isn't 1st

GBBQ

Yea we were all happy that we made it verses having not done. Nobody celebrated.
Yeah so his point is that standards have slipped massively post SAF and sneaking into 4th would feel like a good season. Is it only celebrating if we have an open top bus parade? Keane is a crank but there's no doubt our standards have slipped even with an increase in purchases.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah so his point is that standards have slipped massively post SAF and sneaking into 4th would feel like a good season. Is it only celebrating if we have an open top bus parade? Keane is a crank but there's no doubt our standards have slipped even with an increase in purchases.
He has no point, because nobody is celebrating. Preferring finishing 4th to 5th is not celebrating. He's saying people are satisfied with it and he's talking shit. As usual.

FahadiHossein

I cringe when some reputable, ex-players, after a few sackings, decided to take the easy way out and retreat into the comfort zone by doing some assistant coaching for a national team and living off the money from TV punditry.

I despise Moyes, Rodgers and Hodgson, but at least they had the cojones to try something different after setbacks.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Seems he can't wait for some of our players to do selfies, just so he can slate modern footballers. 'Trouble is that they haven't done any yet, so he's gone too early.

RooneyLegend

He's right. This whole celebrating EL wins and top 4's has to come to an end. Some people are saying we're having a good season or promising one despite the fact that we're nowhere near the top of the table. We're letting our standards slip with every passing season. I mean, look at how little pressure Mourinho is under. If Madrid, Barca, Bayern or Juve had, had a season like ours someone would be out of a job, instead single wins vs the champions elect and he's celebrated as being something special. At this club you have the best platform in the world. Seemingly endless funds, a club name that can attract almost anyone not playing at Barca, Bayern or Madrid and yet this season is deemed as acceptable. Call me what you want but this level isn't what this club is about. The great Sir Alex Ferguson's hard work is being destroyed by the season.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Bless him, he's like Widow Twankey these days. He doesn't even bother keeping the smirk off his face sometimes. It's like complaining about Dunphy. What's the point?

Champagne Football

Keane fails to acknowledge that 5 teams are challenging for the league now instead of 2 every season back in his day so top 4 is nothing to be frowned upon.

Current squad would have won the league with Keano in the side i've no doubt though. Keanes drive in the middle would have freed the likes of Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibra to do more damage up front.

freeurmind

weak willed
He's right. This whole celebrating EL wins and top 4's has to come to an end. Some people are saying we're having a good season or promising one despite the fact that we're nowhere near the top of the table. We're letting our standards slip with every passing season. I mean, look at how little pressure Mourinho is under. If Madrid, Barca, Bayern or Juve had, had a season like ours someone would be out of a job, instead single wins vs the champions elect and he's celebrated as being something special. At this club you have the best platform in the world. Seemingly endless funds, a club name that can attract almost anyone not playing at Barca, Bayern or Madrid and yet this season is deemed as acceptable. Call me what you want but this level isn't what this club is about. The great Sir Alex Ferguson's hard work is being destroyed by the season.
So which manager should the club bring in then?

freeurmind

weak willed
If Keane thinks United fans are "celebrating" then he clearly hasn't been paying attention. Keane would make a decent manager if he could get over himself.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So should we win the EL, we should not celebrate either?

And no, he's not right, he's slating something that has not happened.

Seveneric

I didn't take "celebrate" literally to mean a parade or running up and down the touchline. More like 4th shouldn't be the prize United should be aiming for at the end of the season, which it's been for the past 3 years.

But then the people getting bothered by this are probably the same people who believe players are intentionally declaring themselves unfit, and United players thought Shaw was faking his injuries, so there's no reasoning with some people.

RooneyLegend

So should we win the EL, we should not celebrate either?

And no, he's not right, he's slating something that has not happened.
What are we doing celebrating EL's? its a second rate competition for second rate clubs.
So which manager should the club bring in then?
Poch, Allegri, put out some feelers for Tite for after the world cup. I'm not saying he should go, i am saying he should be under pressure. We can't be hanging around acting like everything is hunky dory.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What are we doing celebrating EL's? its a second rate competition for second rate clubs.
So we should wear mourning clothes?

You can beat what's in front of you, it's clearly not the competition we want to be in, it wasn't down to Mourinho we're there either, winning a trophy is a trophy, especially when it's the one we haven't won yet.

beergod

Keane: "Water is wet"
Redcafe: "Keane is such a bitter cnut these days"

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I cringe when some reputable, ex-players, after a few sackings, decided to take the easy way out and retreat into the comfort zone by doing some assistant coaching for a national team and living off the money from TV punditry.

I despise Moyes, Rodgers and Hodgson, but at least they had the cojones to try something different after setbacks.
They have to make a living so why wouldn't they? Don't see anything cringeworthy in making a living for your family regardless of your finical situation.

Verbalkint

Keane is used to higher standards. However I still fully expect an over the top caf reaction to a harmless statement.
Well that's true, he is. But it's a process isn't it..it's not going to be an overnight journey after all. Ever since SAF, we've been downhill and Jose's the first man to show signs of arresting that slide. There's no reason to be so critical of everything. No team can move up 6, maybe 7 places real soon. I just think he's a bitter man, and one who's own record with management is pretty poor.

El Zoido

You're not celebrating 4th you're celebrating getting in the champions league. You're celebrating getting top level European football at Old Trafford next season. That's definitely something to be happy about.

The difference with Arsenal is that they get top four every year. We've been out of the CL so getting back in is a big deal. If we were 4th year after year then people would get frustrated with the lack of progress but right now, it's an important step.

Alabaster Codify7

Keane is annoying nowadays, a bitter old pro who just seems to have nothing but vitriol for a club he claims to love/have loved.

That being said, he is absolutely spot-on regarding the lowering of United's standards and expectations. We DO celebrate top 4 since SAF left - 2/3 seasons we failed to get it, and the one season we scraped 4th place we as fans were very happy. We would also be very happy this season.

Nothing wrong with anyone pointing out that the country's most successful football club are, nowadays, happy to eke out a top 4 finish because right now - it's definitely the truth.

In a year or two, this will hopefully not be the case and we'll look back at 2013-2017 as a sizeable transition period.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
On itv last night:

“With the injuries they have and they’ve dropped points against Swansea and Man City in the last week, it’s clear from his interview there that his priority is to win the Europa League. I think he is right," Keane told ITV Sport.

“He won’t forget against the top four, but he has prioritised (the Europa League) and he wants to win a trophy that guarantees him Champions League football.

“Even a weak team will probably beat Arsenal.”

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
On itv last night:

“With the injuries they have and they’ve dropped points against Swansea and Man City in the last week, it’s clear from his interview there that his priority is to win the Europa League. I think he is right," Keane told ITV Sport.

“He won’t forget against the top four, but he has prioritised (the Europa League) and he wants to win a trophy that guarantees him Champions League football.

Now that I like. :keano:

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
On itv last night:

More sense from our Roy.

Fantastic pundit.

lsd

The Oracle
He was doing a Q and A and was asked how do you feel about teams celebrating finishing in the top four when they don't even get a medal ?

All he said was yes he does cringe a little when he sees teams like Liverpool and yeah even Man Utd bring happy to be top four.

Hardly being bitter or having an axe to grind he was laughing and taking the piss out of Liverpool fans in attendance

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
On itv last night:

Arsenal:lol:

FahadiHossein

They have to make a living so why wouldn't they? Don't see anything cringeworthy in making a living for your family regardless of your finical situation.
there are many former Spanish or Brazilian internationals who are finding success again as coaches, albeit in weaker leagues like Greece or developing countries like India and China. Some may come back to the big leagues later.

The issue with the British internationals is that the money from punditry is good and there are zero responsibilities. You can't run your mouth like this on your team or your opponents if you are a manager. Many of them live a comfortable life as punditry that they drop out of management completely. And then, you have someone like Merson who criticized Hull for not employing British managers when British managers are in fact becoming more and more limited in supply due to good and comfortable lifestyle offered by punditry and ambassadorial duties.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We have finished 4th once in god knows how many years and it wasn't celebrated at all. He's talking shite.

FahadiHossein

There is a shift in mentality in the PL, and this shows that he is quite out of touch.

I saw a near-perfect answer on Quora, but I can't find that page again or else I would surely credit him.
This person said that during the SAF era, SAF was so consistent that it was either SAF "wins or doesn't win the league". It was technically impossible for the majority of the clubs in the league win the league. So, back then it was usually one club (in the 90s, there were Newcastle, Leeds and Arsenal) or two clubs (in the 00s, Chelsea & Liverpool) who were competing with SAF and SAF still won the league on a number of occasions. Arsenal back then were happy to be 4th. But, after his retirement, every club now knows that they can win the league (Arsenal is still happy being 4th though).

Clubs don't celebrate top 4. They celebrate top 4 because they know this will be a stepping stone to something bigger and more ambitious. The premier league is now even more competitive than before with more clubs being bankrolled by billionaires or going into overseas market to sell merchandise. United is not the only club that knows how to make money anymore. Every club knows how to and is trying to catch up with United.