Roy Keane blasts Manchester United "cry babies"

mancan92

Let's be honest city aren't a team of hardmen and they destroyed the league. So honestly I don't believe in his point and i think it sounds similar to when people start victim blaming

SER19

He's calling people who have dedicated themselves since they were young kids to become amazingly good at something "weak human beings" on the basis that they weren't performing under a manager who has had the exact same issues at his last two clubs despite not knowing them personally. It's not just based on Keane's history, he was sacked from his job a few weeks ago where his main contribution seemed to be not doing any coaching and just calling his players "pricks", "wankers" and "cnuts". I would say the only reason we're as high as sixth and through in the Champions League is the players having the spirit to fight from behind in numerous games.
We won't agree on the bigger picture i feel. In the finer details youre correct to acknowledge what these players have achieved but keane would rightly say that once youre at the top you find a new top. There are players i have seen with my own eyes, as an amateur armchair fan, blatantly play to a fraction of their ability and effort levels this season. Guys being paid millions getting bullied physically and mentally by 'lesser players'. The things that piss keane off like the hair the handshakes the celebrations the instagram the media whoring the clothes lines, wouldn't annoy many people if they were delivering performance wise. Seeing as the only defence is 'oh well it was mourinhos fault' to me is a cop out for what ive seen myself. Apathy rarely seen in almost 3 decades of watching

SER19

Let's be honest city aren't a team of hardmen and they destroyed the league. So honestly I don't believe in his point and i think it sounds similar to when people start victim blaming
Nothing to do with hard men. He didn't say so either

Dont want to go near where youre going with 'victim blaming'

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The idea that someone playing in front of 70,000 people, taking abuse from left,right and centre and still has the wherewithal to perform at a reasonable level is "weak" is borderline stupid.
Most normal people couldn't face a crowd of 10 people.
Many of these guys have been dealing with pressure we couldn't cope with since they were teenagers. Yeah, they might live in a bubble, but weak is bullshit.
Keane is a man that has been run out of every coaching role for falling out with his players, I am not surprised he thinks this way. Other managers face the same generation of players and get on just fine.
It's also easy to label Keane as a "bad influence". This is a man that was sacked twice as a player because his managers thought they couldn't handle him. Give me a break Roy.
I love him but think he doth protest too much. Managers have to learn to deal with personalities. It's one of the basic requirements of management.

beedoubleyou

I'm not sure what actual evidence Keane is citing, but it's hard to compare when City's manager isn't a bitter, washed up malcontent but ours was.

Frankstaple!

It's quite hypocritical given he used to be one for a night out himself and also for him to accuse players of laziness when his punditry for years has amounted to him phoning in the most cliched, hackneyed opinions going. Given his work with Ireland it's no surprise to see him defending Mourinho as the criticism of him and O'Neill was for very similar reasons.
He may well be a poor pundit or lazy commentator but he knows more than anyone on this site when it comes to leading a team to success on the field and what it takes to play at the elite level.
There is no hypocrisy in what he is saying, he knows what it takes to be the best and anyone with eyes can see that as a team and individuals we have players that are not giving their all!

Posh Red

Keane took Ipswich out camping with the army and threw flashbangs in their tents at 3am. He didn't see out the season.

He is a legend and amusing character, but let's not put too much stock in his opinion on modern football.

He had no problem walking out on Ireland or taking the time out to slag his team off at United. He's a cry baby himself, just more in the fashion of Begbie than Dawson's Creek.
Please tell me this is a true story

Keane took Ipswich out camping with the army and threw flashbangs in their tents at 3am. He didn't see out the season.

He is a legend and amusing character, but let's not put too much stock in his opinion on modern football.

He had no problem walking out on Ireland or taking the time out to slag his team off at United. He's a cry baby himself, just more in the fashion of Begbie than Dawson's Creek.
:lol:

beedoubleyou

Please tell me this is a true story
It's true. I have that page of his biography bookmarked. He said something like 'as they emerged from the tents, I knew these were not the faces of winners'. That's not an exact quote but it's not far off.

Winners take a 3am flashbang in their stride

Maticmaker

I think people let their opinions of Keane the man cloud their judgement of his views. I'm not directing this at you but at this site in general. He's criticising the modern player, and yet some are quick to say "game has changed, he's too old school" yet in the next breath say we need a central defender with leadership qualities. That's the very qualities he's espousing for, players who'll lead, make a difference and not shy away behind social media or petty management squabbles etc
I basically agree with you.

The point I was trying to make is that Roy is often his own worst enemy, with his use of one liners that may be repeated in various ways, but amount to the same thing.

The qualities he espoused on the pitch are great for someone like Roy himself, but not all players are like that, there are only so many times when you can urge players, to as it were, 'storm the barricades'. Yes, some match's turn into pitched battles and courage and spirit are needed to fight back and our players have shown they can do this, coming back from 0-2 down, etc. even it would seem for a manager many of them apparently didn't like very much. Roy's mantra is wearing thin, the points he can make and which could help the players need to be made without all the rhetoric!

mancan92

That's what Keane is alluding to. Basically players should be playing at 100% no matter the situation like people were in his day apparently. But it's silly because in his day players were doing far worse morally bankrupt things.

It's something that many in the older generation say about millennials. In that we are more expressive, open and actually complain when things aren't right. Which means we are flowers.

Posh Red

It's true. I have that page of his biography bookmarked. He said something like 'as they emerged from the tents, I knew these were not the faces of winners'. That's not an exact quote but it's not far off.

This is mental really. I already saw him as a bit of a caricature and this just confirms it.

Tiber

A very angry man.

Or as Football365 put it:

AaronRedDevil

Christ I'd knock him out if he did that to me.

Devil may care

One miserable dinosaur sticking up for another, about as predictable and ignorant as expected.

Devil may care

Exactly, this outdated, knuckle dragging hard man stuff is tiresome.

red thru&thru

One big ego, backing another big ego! These guys just have not moved on with the times.

He keeps banging on about it wouldn't have been acceptable in the dressing room when he was playing. They had one of the best managers ever. A manager who was positive and gave players confidence. Not a guy who didn't believe in them. Also, Keane wasn't exactly a model pro over the years at United. So he has no right to talk.

decorativeed

I wonder which of this current squad of cry babies told Mourinho to "shove it up your bollocks"? My money is on Juan.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
*notthisshitagain.jpg*

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
- Says the players threw the manager under the bus. The same manager who, you guessed it, threw the players under the bus in nearly every interview. Can’t imagine where these young, impressionable lads learned it.

- Calls players cry babies, lamenting an entire generation. Poor Mourinho. Guardiola, Pochettino, and Klopp must’ve done a back to the future job, and kidnapped whole squads of players from “the good old days”.

- All this coming from a man who regularly threw his toys out the pram, including walking out on Ireland at the World Cup. Throwing his manager under the bus in the process. But, but....you’d never do that Roy!?

- As everyone says, just another dinosaur who can’t adapt. Fergie highlighted so many times how he’d had to change his approach with successive generations.

- In a twist to his Ipswich/flashbang experiment; I’d like to throw a dabbing millennial in a tent with Roy at 3am, just to see him come out with a face of thunder. “That’s not the face of a winner.”

Incredible player, shambolic, cretinous person.

GiddyUp

One big ego, backing another big ego! These guys just have not moved on with the times.

He keeps banging on about it wouldn't have been acceptable in the dressing room when he was playing. They had one of the best managers ever. A manager who was positive and gave players confidence. Not a guy who didn't believe in them. Also, Keane wasn't exactly a model pro over the years at United. So he has no right to talk.
A poster on an internet forum saying that one of our greatest leaders and warriors on the pitch has no right to talk about the lack of leaders and warriors on the pitch. Get a grip son.
Another poster on top of the page crying over these poor souls because they have to play in front of people. Seems to be a few people that fail to understand what it takes to reach the top of their profession and stay there, which is where the real hard work begins.

Smores

There's absolutely nothing soft about that City team and Pep is not nicey nicey either.

We don't have half the guts that city team do, you don't get that good without being very strong mentally.

GiddyUp

- Says the players threw the manager under the bus. The same manager who, you guessed it, threw the players under the bus in nearly every interview. Can’t imagine where these young, impressionable lads learned it.

- Calls players cry babies, lamenting an entire generation. Poor Mourinho. Guardiola, Pochettino, and Klopp must’ve done a back to the future job, and kidnapped whole squads of players from “the good old days”.

- All this coming from a man who regularly threw his toys out the pram, including walking out on Ireland at the World Cup. Throwing his manager under the bus in the process. But, but....you’d never do that Roy!?

- As everyone says, just another dinosaur who can’t adapt. Fergie highlighted so many times how he’d had to change his approach with successive generations.

- In a twist to his Ipswich/flashbang experiment; I’d like to throw a dabbing millennial in a tent with Roy at 3am, just to see him come out with a face of thunder. “That’s not the face of a winner.”

His family and the thousands of people who know him personally would disagree with you.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Keane is a living embodiment to what he says. That's why he worked so well with Ireland's manager and never tried to undermine SAF's or his no 2 authority ever

On a serious note, Mou had done far worse to his players then trying to shake their hand before the game ended.

Last edited:

Smores

Jose's gone get over it already, not everything is about our exmanager

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Keane is not a cry baby. There again, don't try to shake his hand before the game has ended else you risk getting punched.

http://dailypost.ng/2014/10/10/mourinho-disgrace-felt-like-punching-roy-keane/

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

"Thrill me with your acumen, Clarice..."

Posh Red

A poster on an internet forum saying that one of our greatest leaders and warriors on the pitch has no right to talk about the lack of leaders and warriors on the pitch. Get a grip son.
Another poster on top of the page crying over these poor souls because they have to play in front of people. Seems to be a few people that fail to understand what it takes to reach the top of their profession and stay there, which is where the real hard work begins.
But he is talking about players that have already reached the top of their profession.

mancan92

There's absolutely nothing soft about that City team and Pep is not nicey nicey either.

We don't have half the guts that city team do, you don't get that good without being very strong mentally.
Haha are you serious? Who in that city team would you say had guts before pep?

Sane ? The guy who can't even get on the Germany national team pitch without looking like scared kid.

Sterling? The guy who used to shit his bed whenever faced by a goalkeeper

Stones? The guy that was called mentally weak by his previous manager

Laporte? A kid just coming in from France after a poor season

I could list the whole team but it's obvious. Their mentality comes from the manager not their own personal pride or love for city.

beedoubleyou

I cannot find the quote online, I'll take a picture tomorrow.

He also made them wear army boots and run up hills. They got blisters from the boots and couldn't kick a ball.

FromTheBench

We should have done background scouting in terms of mentality before signing Pogba, Sanchez etc.. if that was the issue.

Mourinho signed them and then failed to manage their egos or whatever.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But but but, i thought that it is all on Mourinho. That he does not allow players to play their game and above all, he wants from them to play defence. Bastard wanted from Pogba to play defence.

Bwuk

He just doesn’t relate to the modern player.

Generational thing. There’s a reason he can’t stay long term at a club job.

Phil Osophy

Our players get away with murder because we don't have a proper football structure at the club. Board / directors rely everything on the manager, so when they sack someone they expect the following one to analyze the squad and make all decisions by himself.

This model made sense 20 years ago when managers used to last more. Nowadays it doesn't make sense to give a coach the status of manager, because the vast majority of them last 2-3 seasons at most. So every time there's a change everything starts from zero. Also, if both managers (the sacked one and the new one) are different or even the opposite then there's a transition period to rebuild and 're-shape' which makes it all even more difficult and slow.

This is an obsolete model and needs to be changed, and it says it all about our directors that we need 7 freaking years to start moving our ass in that sense, when this should have been made just after SAF left. It's so naive to think that such a master figure like Ferguson could be replaced with just another manager, and some guy above happily throwing money everywhere.

A football director, a technical football department or however you want to call this would give us that 'constant' factor in behind while coaches come and go. Players would keep being analyzed even if a coach is replaced, so they would be always in danger, never free from judgement.

With all that said, I wouldn't like this to be used as a excuse to apologize Mourinho and his failure here. If anything this man is not a victim of this useless board but a consequence of it. He got enough power, time and money to build something, and after a pair of seasons we were worse than what we saw in the first games.

Most of his signings have been underwhelming. Zero development in terms of football / tactics along that time, not even a minimal attempt. Toxicity all around because of his sour and miserable attitude. As a consequence instead of getting better every time (even if it was slowly) everything was getting rotten, with the poor victim Jose adding more fuel to the fire at every chance. So obviously the spotlight has to be on him now after that mess. Anyone expecting something different is living in Mars.

If you lead an orchestra to play Beethoven and it sounds like 'happy birthday to you' that's on the director, not on the musicians. Especially when many of them have been signed (or protected) by the one leading the band. So we need improvements at the club and hopefully we are working on it now, but Mourinho is rightly criticized and pointed out after his sacking. It's totally deserved and the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Smores

It’s literally a thread about Keane slagging off players for Mourinho’s sacking.
It's not a defence of Jose though like you're suggesting. Keane has been banging this drum across managers and has moaned about Jose often enough. He has the same kind of moans about other teams.

Irrespective of Jose i think people can recognise elements of what he's saying. We've had plenty of very similar discussions on here tbh.