Roy Keane KO'D Heinze

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
Your argument had no substance. As I said, your claim that since he was part of a great team he should be a great captain is indeed laughable; anyway, to each his own.
All right, mate. Fair enough. I suppose I should've been more detailed in my earlier post.

But, on that note, Carles was a fantastic leader on the pitch. An example to his teammates and an inspiration.

This moment here just says so much about what type of person he is. Allowing Abidal and Vilanova to lift the trophy, as compared to Terry putting on his kit to insist on hoisting it himself. Stark contrast.

But, you're right, to each his own indeed.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
But what is Puyol doing on the list of great captains :lol:
He captained us to 3 champions league trophies and never felt the urge to lamp his own teammates after a game. :wenger:

Again, my personal opinion is that Keane - in this scenario - showed a serious lack of self control. Not something you can justify in any situation, and certainly not something the great captains of the past would have done.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
As much as I disliked Heinze as a player, I can't believe posters praising Keane resorting to violence.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
All right, mate. Fair enough. I suppose I should've been more detailed in my earlier post.

But, on that note, Carles was a fantastic leader on the pitch. An example to his teammates and an inspiration.

This moment here just says so much about what type of person he is. Allowing Abidal and Vilanova to lift the trophy, as compared to Terry putting on his kit to insist on hoisting it himself. Stark contrast.

But, you're right, to each his own indeed.

Not denying Puyol's greatness at all, mate. Anyway, we're going off topic.

Klopp_De_Klown

I reckon Shearer would have more knockout power than Keane so I'd say him.
Keane. No question. Apart from the fact he's a terrifying fecking psycho he was a talented amateur boxer so knows how to throw a punch. As far as I know Shearer's never been taught to fight in any discipline.
Hurmm, maybe you're too young to remember but

Keane was red carded for swinging at Shearer. As for Shearer being a tough nut. He was knocked out while on a "team bonding" jolly up in Dublin by one of his own team. Its the same incident where Shearer battered Gillespie. One of the other team mates was none to happy with mr shearer picking on little Gillespie and well you know the rest.

So would Keane go for him? Oh yea and came to blows in the tunnel too. And could Shearer take a slap, apparently not from someone his own size.

lem8sh

He captained us to 3 champions league trophies and never felt the urge to lamp his own teammates after a game. :wenger:

Again, my personal opinion is that Keane - in this scenario - showed a serious lack of self control. Not something you can justify in any situation, and certainly not something the great captains of the past would have done.
Puyol was a diving cheat. Great captain.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Keane was a once in a generation captain, anyone who can't see that is blind. Wish we had a bit more of his fight rather than pussies that roll around in the floor filming it when the team bus gets attacked, Keane would have needed to be held back from diving off and dishing out a few slaps.

Wayne's World

I wish we had a Keane right now....none of this nonsense with dancing after matches like Lingard....

If we had a Keane right now we wouldn't have such a gutless squad at times when things get tough when we are drawing at home time and time and time again

Woeisme

Yet he Kung fu kicked a spectator, regardless of the xenophobic provocation he committed a serious offense so you're logic is flawed. You seem to dislike Keane for reasons you could never comprehend as I doubt you have not fought to the pinnacle of professional team sports. The guy was a true fighter and demanded nothing but perfection from himself, his teammates, his manager and his club. The same with international football, the FAI fecked up big time with their 2002 WC preparation and Keane called them on it. 100% right to call out McCarthy and the association of piss poor planning for the biggest event in football. The man was so important for club and country that he had a right to speak out with what he perceives as poor preparation and playing below an acceptable level, you see that in his punditry.
Just because one player doesn't act like a hero you admire doesn't mean that person is not a hero in their own right. There are a lot of people at the top of their profession that have serious character flaws and like Keane they don't sugar coat reality just so people like you can have sweet dreams. I would also like to add, in my opinion, besides SAF and Gary Neville, no one has given their all and fought with such passion on the pitch for this club more than Roy Keane. But if you prefer rich young professional footballers to put in sub par performances for the club and not get called out on it that is up to you. Keane is a cnut, it made him one of the best midfielders of his generation, it's as simple as that so I'm sorry if you're feelings were hurt remembering what a warrior Roy Keane was for this club over a period of utter domination. I'm sure Zidane must be a criminal to you due to his headbutt, or is his assault more acceptable because he never shouted at Phil Neville for being shit?
You're judging based on you're own speculation. It was well known that Keane and Ferguson had a mutual respect for each other. Also, you mentioned above that he wasn't a good man, where the feck do you get that from. From all accounts from family, friends and colleagues he is a dedicated and loyal family man with beautiful, smart and respectful children. I judge a man on how he raises his children and loyalty to his friends, not on the feelings of footballers that couldn't give a toss.
Amen. Makes you my new favorite poster :)

Those of us that watched Keane give everything he had for us on a weekly basis ,don't idolize him for knocking Heinze out, we idolise him despite that. How his contribution to this club or is influence/leadership can ever be called into question is baffling.
A true Utd legend. Knocking out Heinz doesn't change that.

RoLo

I wonder if Keano was such a bully among the likes of Cantona, Brucey, Ince and Hughes
Can't speak for the other three but there was the story of Keane having Ince against the wall in the tunnel and telling him that he's not the Governor any more.

Wayne's World

From looking at this thread, I'm ashamed of how many fans (or so called fans) are downplaying Keane as a leader. I'll even go far as saying that we wouldn't have won the Treble in 1999 without him and he's a better player then Beckham, Giggs, Scholes were throughout their time at the club.

He's something this club needs right now. A leader that will do everything and anything to win. Just think about what Ronaldo said about him, he probably was his biggest influence at a young age just seeing how much of a winner Keane was on and off the pitch.

GiddyUp

From looking at this thread, I'm ashamed of how many fans (or so called fans) are downplaying Keane as a leader. I'll even go far as saying that we wouldn't have won the Treble in 1999 without him and he's a better player then Beckham, Giggs, Scholes were throughout their time at the club.

He's something this club needs right now. A leader that will do everything and anything to win. Just think about what Ronaldo said about him, he probably was his biggest influence at a young age just seeing how much of a winner Keane was on and off the pitch.
It ended as an immovable force against an unstoppable object, obvious that it would end the way it did. But nothing, and I mean nothing, should ever take away from what Roy Keane gave to this club. A fighter, a leader, a magnificent footballer and a cnut. But our cnut. If we had two of him right now we would fecking destroy everyone in front of us.

Jaybomb

I would love to see Keane manage us someday.

Could care less about his record at Sunderland and Ipswich. I think he would be perfect for United. He knows what the clubs all about.

GiddyUp

Amen. Makes you my new favorite poster :)

Those of us that watched Keane give everything he had for us on a weekly basis ,don't idolize him for knocking Heinze out, we idolise him despite that. How his contribution to this club or is influence/leadership can ever be called into question is baffling.
A true Utd legend. Knocking out Heinz doesn't change that.
Exactly, Devilish doesn't seem to get that. It's like calling Tiger Woods a dirty opponent just because he threw the rod in to a dozen versions of the same woman. Nothing will take away from his application to the sport. I would like to know what Devilish thinks of Giggs, a club legend who has done far worse in my opinion then throwing a knuckle at another grown man in the heat of contest or a drunken haze. Giggs as a player, beautiful. Giggs as a man, seedy to say the least. But I would never take anything away from the guys character and desire got him to a point of most capped player for the best club in the country. Keane physically assaulted grown men, Giggs emotionally destroyed his family.

OL29

Can't speak for the other three but there was the story of Keane having Ince against the wall in the tunnel and telling him that he's not the Governor any more.
Never heard this story before, care to elaborate?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I sort of agree with @Stack I would not condone a captain using violence or the threat of violence to lead. But, do know with the level of competition, the egos involved and the passion will lead to occasional physical conflicts.

GiddyUp

I would love to see Keane manage us someday.

Could care less about his record at Sunderland and Ipswich. I think he would be perfect for United. He knows what the clubs all about.
Assistant for me. Although I love the man dearly I still think he is a bit volatile to be this clubs manager. Motivation coach would be brilliant for him, he would have us running around like eleven Pepes, the league would piss their pants.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Keane was captain in all but name from the day and hour he first graced our club. He is, without even the smallest sliver of doubt, THE greatest captain we've ever had or are likely to ever have. Say what you want about his temperament or off field personality but don't you dare even begin to question his importance to our success. From the mid 90's to mid 2000's every other single player we had in that time, were the supporting cast. Keane was the only truly vital player and the only person more vital to our complete domination of that period, was the manager.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Hurmm, maybe you're too young to remember but

Keane was red carded for swinging at Shearer. As for Shearer being a tough nut. He was knocked out while on a "team bonding" jolly up in Dublin by one of his own team. Its the same incident where Shearer battered Gillespie. One of the other team mates was none to happy with mr shearer picking on little Gillespie and well you know the rest.

So would Keane go for him? Oh yea and came to blows in the tunnel too. And could Shearer take a slap, apparently not from someone his own size.
I do remember the Shearer - Keane incident, Shearer just calmly stood there while half our team had to keep Keane away.

Didn't know about him getting knocked out though. And although I knew Keane did a bit of boxing when he was younger, I didn't know he was supposedly very talented at it.

Keane was captain in all but name from the day and hour he first graced our club. He is, without even the smallest sliver of doubt, THE greatest captain we've ever had or are likely to ever have. Say what you want about his temperament or off field personality but don't you dare even begin to question his importance to our success. From the mid 90's to mid 2000's every other single player we had in that time, were the supporting cast. Keane was the only truly vital player and the only person more vital to our complete domination of that period, was the manager.
Agreed. Not just United either, put in some incredible performances for Ireland during the years too.

Klopp_De_Klown

I didn't know he was supposedly very talented at it.
Ahh he was ok, a bit like Rojo tough area he grew up in. They all able fight a bit. He's just had a bit more training than most and quick to go. 0-60 in a blink of an eye. Maybe not quite as dangerous as Rojo area but he same atitude, hit first and save face.

Red Digger

Brian Robson was better
He was a good player and I'd be a big fan but he was not even close to Keane. We didn't win much with Robson as captain. It's a bit like comparing Gerard to Scholes. Count the medals. The best players win things. I can't believe how some Utd fans can't see the importance of Roy Keane in Uniteds history. Without him I don't think we would have won half of what we did while he was at the club. Keane was the equivalent of having Fergie on the pitch. He was irreplaceable.

Reactions: Sultan

Green_Red

I wonder if Keano was such a bully among the likes of Cantona, Brucey, Ince and Hughes
You haven't heard the story when Brucey asked Sharpe to 'look after your mate' when they were put drinking then no?

Green_Red

Agreed. Keane was a great player but seems an absolute bellend as a human being.

All the keyboard warriors saying it's great that a bloke punches a colleague who stands up to him need to have a word with himself.
This is not an office environment. If you want to win you have to be ruthless. Cloughy punching Keane after a game or Sit Alex kicking a teacup at Beckham is OK I suppose?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I loved Keane as a player but there's no excuse for physically attacking a teammate, even if said teammate tried to become a scouse cnut in the end.

I hate reading Heinze name. He was my favourite player at the time. An all action left back, he was great. I even had a jersey with his name on it. Had to burn it when he decided he wanted to go to anfield and suck Gerrard's cock.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He was a good player and I'd be a big fan but he was not even close to Keane. We didn't win much with Robson as captain. It's a bit like comparing Gerard to Scholes. Count the medals. The best players win things. I can't believe how some Utd fans can't see the importance of Roy Keane in Uniteds history. Without him I don't think we would have won half of what we did while he was at the club. Keane was the equivalent of having Fergie on the pitch. He was irreplaceable.
I don't think many are arguing his quality and influence on the pitch.

Needham

Now you're getting overboard. I never said that he was soft. All I am saying is that he's not the 'Wolverine' like Brute who would go head long against anyone and anything. He picks his opponents well and he knows how to keep his fists down if he wants to (ex he didn't hit Clough back because he was his manager and hitting him would ruin his career). His list grew bigger and bigger the more he felt influential. He overstepped with Queroz though, a man he was confident to bully down (assistant manager) which starting the beginning of the end of his United career
Doubt he laid a finger on Stuart Pearce at Forest at a time when Keane the man was arguably wilder than he was at United (he got put through nightclub windows in Nottingham city centre when he wound up the wrong locals, once).
Keane was a great captain but there is no correlation between being a great captain and punching those in your close proximity. If being effective in violence does make you better at what you do, maybe the guy who knocked Barkley out is great at signing on.

Last edited:

beycont

People love Michael Jordan as praise him for his intensity and you would be hardpressed to find a former teammate of his he did not punch.
And many people said he was a cnut and bully as well. But it's this winning mentality that makes him Michael Jordan, and what makes Roy Keane, Roy Keane.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree regarding winning things with Keane (I love Keane even now) but i think Robson was a better player in a worse team. Robson is seriously underrated by some on these boards what a player he was.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I agree regarding winning things with Keane (I love Keane even now) but i think Robson was a better player in a worse team. Robson is seriously underrated by some on these boards what a player he was.
Criminally under rated.

RoLo

Never heard this story before, care to elaborate?
There's not much more to it than what I said to be honest. Allegedly Ince was giving it large in front of some youth team players, talking down to them and Keano gripped him, shoved him up against the wall and told him "You're not the governor anymore". The story goes that Ince apologised and Keane let him go unharmed.

You haven't heard the story when Brucey asked Sharpe to 'look after your mate' when they were put drinking then no?
Not heard this one, care to elaborate?

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

This is not an office environment. If you want to win you have to be ruthless. Cloughy punching Keane after a game or Sit Alex kicking a teacup at Beckham is OK I suppose?
I didn't say either of those things were ok, did I?

Ferguson's boot-kicking, even if accidental, was completely wrong. Like Keane, he did plenty of stuff wrong and this needs to be remembered. Clough was battling alcoholism by the time he took charge of Keane, and he was soon to retire as his team were relegated.

You seem to know a lot about what it takes to succeed at the highest level of sport... which team did you play for?