Roy Keane

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Agreed. I've read the book and he came across well, he clearly has massive respect for Fergie and he was very disappointed to be booted out of the club he loves so much.

People calling him a bitter and twisted cnut have quite obviously not even read the book and are simply going off what they've been fed by the media.
Ah that old chestnust again.

According to this thread, people who have dared to criticise Keano don't appreciate him as a player or weren't old enough to watch him in his prime or are simply brainwashed by the media. Brilliant.
Poisson appears to be talking about the book, KM. The book gives a more balanced view than the snippets jumped on by the media. I've hated lots that Roy has come out with. He had a particularly vitriolic rent-a-quote phase at Ipswich, for example but the book gives a good insight in to his frame of mind while there and he's candid about lots of stupid shit that he did and said. I think your response to that particular comment was unwarrented. I'm no Keane fan-boy but so much of this thread of late has been related to the book by people who haven't read it. Which is a bit nonsensical.

ScarleyUtd

Poisson appears to be talking about the book, KM. The book gives a more balanced view than the snippets jumped on by the media. I've hated lots that Roy has come out with. He had a particularly vitriolic rent-a-quote phase at Ipswich, for example but the book gives a good insight in to his frame of mind while there and he's candid about lots of stupid shit that he did and said. I think your response to that particular comment was unwarrented. I'm no Keane fan-boy but so much of this thread of late has been related to the book by people who haven't read it. Which is a bit nonsensical.
Not really, I think we can all imagine that the book isn't filled all the time with vitriol. That doesn't mean we can't comment on the vitriolic bits that come out – it's not like they aren't true is it. And it's not like he doesn't court the controversy – even promote it.

You're also discounting the fact that many have read his previous books – which were just the same but that his incessant bitterness over the club (which seems to be getting worse to me, not better through the years) has put people off from reading more.

Still ill

Not really, I think we can all imagine that the book isn't filled all the time with vitriol. That doesn't mean we can't comment on the vitriolic bits that come out – it's not like they aren't true is it. And it's not like he doesn't court the controversy – even promote it.

You're also discounting the fact that many have read his previous books – which were just the same but that his incessant bitterness over the club (which seems to be getting worse to me, not better through the years) has put people off from reading more.
Seriously, that's a ridiculous comment. You haven't read it, have you? How can you say that? His love for the club is obvious in it. Read it, then bitch about it.

ScarleyUtd

Seriously, that's a ridiculous comment. You haven't read it, have you? How can you say that? His love for the club is obvious in it. Read it, then bitch about it.
To be honest he's had enough of my money now, I'm tired of his crap and I'm not alone. And in case you hadn't noticed the latest comments aren't even from the book, they're quoted in the Guardian. Am I still allowed to comment?

Last edited:

Still ill

To be honest he's had enough of my money now, I'm tired of his crap and I'm not alone. And in case you hadn't noticed the latest comments aren't even from the book, they're quoted in the Guardian. Am I still allowed to comment?
Look, everyone has an opinion on him and I've been on both sides of the fence. I'm only talking about your comments on the book/s.

SirAF

Ageist
I think it's worth your money, it is a very good and interesting book that is more than the soundbites in the media. Find a pdf. copy online if you don't want to buy it - it is a good read for any United supporter!

For what it is worth, I agree that his latest "mafia" comments about Paddy and Robbo are shite.

acnumber9

Look, everyone has an opinion on him and I've been on both sides of the fence. I'm only talking about your comments on the book/s.
I thought people were commenting more on his seemingly constant interviews than the content of the book.

ScarleyUtd

I think it's worth your money, it is a very good and interesting book that is more than the soundbites in the media. Find a pdf. copy online if you don't want to buy it - it is a good read for any United supporter!

For what it is worth, I agree that his latest "mafia" comments about Paddy and Robbo are shite.
Maybe in a few years when I can get it for 50p in a charity shop :). Perhaps he'll have shut up by then too (some hope).

VP

Just finished reading it. I haven't read many sports biographies so not much to measure against but definitely better than the Ferguson atrocity. Better written, more insightful and more honest. The United part was a fantastic read but then it got pretty boring - essentially listing out Sunderland fixtures. Keane comes across as incredibly insecure but fairly self-aware. Media have completely taken some quotes out of context - almost every player in the book is a 'nice lad'. Interesting to see how simply he viewed football - something he seemingly shared with Ferguson and Clough - perhaps he did things in management bit too simply, but it is refreshing in this age of stats and tactics obsessives.

Litch

A player that in the history of Man Utd gets into every first 11.....

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
He's right and wrong on United mafia thing....
Course there is a bias. These people played for the club and now work for the club. Of course they are going to big us up.
Paddy Crerand talks an incredible amount of shit on MUTV but, again, what do you expect? He's a well paid employee at the club, with a handy job. Why would he start shooting his mouth off about how shit we are? It would be stupid to do so.

Now, having said all that, people are tearing into Keane here for having a pop at Crerand about his bias, but are laughing and giving it large over Crerand insulting Keane?

Standards.....

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's right and wrong on United mafia thing....
Course there is a bias. These people played for the club and now work for the club. Of course they are going to big us up.
Paddy Crerand talks an incredible amount of shit on MUTV but, again, what do you expect? He's a well paid employee at the club, with a handy job. Why would he start shooting his mouth off about how shit we are? It would be stupid to do so.

Now, having said all that, people are tearing into Keane here for having a pop at Crerand about his bias, but are laughing and giving it large over Crerand insulting Keane?

Standards.....
It would even - probably - amount to him not doing his job properly.

He's a harmless old sod all things said and done, so Keano could've pulled that punch, I reckon. As for his general point (if one can label it such), sure - if there's a mafia at United doing the club harm in the grander scheme of things, then by all means, tear into them to your heart's content, Roy...but what he seemingly has sunk his teeth into here is nothing but standard club employees, ambassadors and the like, in other words people who can hardly be expected to offer scathing criticism of anything.

In short, it seems largely pointless. If what he means to imply is that there's some sort of old boys network at United which we should get rid of in the name of progress, then he should say so explicitly, in the form of pointed criticism. This just reads as some sort of...general, rudderless grumpiness. Which isn't hugely surprising, of course. I like Keano - but he's a sour bastard, there's no denying that.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
It would even - probably - amount to him not doing his job properly.

He's a harmless old sod all things said and done, so Keano could've pulled that punch, I reckon. As for his general point (if one can label it such), sure - if there's a mafia at United doing the club harm in the grander scheme of things, then by all means, tear into them to your heart's content, Roy...but what he seemingly has sunk his teeth into here is nothing but standard club employees, ambassadors and the like, in other words people who can hardly be expected to offer scathing criticism of anything.

In short, it seems largely pointless. If what he means to imply is that there's some sort of old boys network at United which we should get rid of in the name of progress, then he should say so explicitly, in the form of pointed criticism. This just reads as some sort of...general, rudderless grumpiness. Which isn't hugely surprising, of course. I like Keano - but he's a sour bastard, there's no denying that.
To be fair to Keane, he's Irish.....Us Irish love bitching and moaning about something.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To be fair to Keane, he's Irish.....Us Irish love bitching and moaning about something.
Hehe. True enough. I kinda like that about you - maybe that's why I like Keano too. Better a sour bastard than a grinning moron, I suppose.

Litch

No doubt of those players who served under Ferguson at the peak of their careers, but certainly not the greatest United XI of all time.
I guess it's about opinions but seeing as the consistent reference to how we have never replaced a Keane or Scholes type player suggest his standing. It's all relative tbh. It's like saying best or CR7?