Ruben Neves - Player watch

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
That's right but when a player wants a move to a bigger club (wages, challenge etc), he and his agent will force the club to sell.
But if the club don't want to sell and the player has enough time left on their contract, would you agree that they don't actually have to? There is nothing the player or agent can actually do to force them other than threaten to down tools?

It used to be the case that the smaller club couldn't realistically turn down the kind of money the bigger clubs were offering. Now that's not a factor at all.

As Man United fans, you've already seen a change in the last few years in how you are unable to cherry pick the best players from teams like Spurs (as you have done in the past with he likes of Carrick and Berbatov). You'll start to see more situations like Sanchez and Alderweireld in the next few years, where if players want to move on, they need to run their contracts right down.

That same resolve is slowly creeping into the rest of the league. See Leicester with Mahrez and Maguire for example. Yes Mahrez moved eventually, but a season later than he (and probably his agent) wanted to!

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Absolute wummery in this thread.
To be fair, I was just responding to digs at my home City and beloved football club and the assumption that if Man United come calling, it's a no-brainer and every player will just flock to sign up! Maybe a few years back, but not necessarily the case now.

It's like Robbie Williams expecting young girls to still be interested in a slightly overweight, middle-aged man. You were big in the 90s and 00s mate, but not so much of a catch now!!

These guys struggle to win at home but apparently one injury time winner does wonders to the confidence of some fans these days.
I could say similar about you lot. 7 wins on the spin and all of a sudden all of your structural issues are forgotten, you're going to win the Champions League and challenge for the title next season!

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
To be fair, I was just responding to digs at my home City and beloved football club and the assumption that if Man United come calling, it's a no-brainer and every player will just flock to sign up! Maybe a few years back, but not necessarily the case now.

It's like Robbie Williams expecting young girls to still be interested in a slightly overweight, middle-aged man. You were big in the 90s and 00s mate, but not so much of a catch now!!

I could say similar about you lot. 7 wins on the spin and all of a sudden all of your structural issues are forgotten, you're going to win the Champions League and challenge for the title next season!
Huge difference. We're Man United and you're Wolves.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Huge difference. We're Man United and you're Wolves.
Also comparison with Spurs is also wrong. They are one of the strongest teams and have been in and around 4th, 5th for more nearly a decade.

Easy to talk big, there is a clear food chain. Everton signed players from teams below them and lose players to the teams above them. Same with any clubs. Obviously you can't get every player but most players will push for a transfer.

Anyways will be interesting how their mendes project runs.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@WolfInSharp'sClothing keep in mind you are speaking on a forum where the majority are Manchester United supporters. We can discuss football here without being fans but coming with the attitude to say negative things isn’t the right way to go imo.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
@WolfInSharp'sClothing keep in mind you are speaking on a forum where the majority are Manchester United supporters. We can discuss football here without being fans but coming with the attitude to say negative things isn’t the right way to go imo.
Yes, you're right. The digs at my club got me into full wind up mode and I apologise!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Who has said we're going to win champions league this season in this thread?

Atleast when the other fans claims they're WUMming, they atleast have the size of their club to backup. You support Wolves. Sit down.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Also comparison with Spurs is also wrong. They are one of the strongest teams and have been in and around 4th, 5th for more nearly a decade.

Easy to talk big, there is a clear food chain. Everton signed players from teams below them and lose players to the teams above them. Same with any clubs. Obviously you can't get every player but most players will push for a transfer.

Anyways will be interesting how their mendes project runs.
But that's my point. Those teams in and around the 'top 6' can now retain their players from the sides that were traditionally the biggest. Whereas in the past, you could have your pick of players from Spurs, you now don't. Every transfer window, you see less and less players moving from the smaller clubs to the bigger clubs.

Back in the late 90s, only 2 clubs could realistically challenge. Then in the early 00s it went to 3. Then 4, then 5. Now it's the 'top 6' and realistically, any of those sides could challenge for at least a top 4 spot every season and maybe even the title. Leicester winning the title happened. It was maybe a freak occurrence, but it happened. They haven't capitalised on that as well as they could have.

Based on all this evidence, what makes you think that it won't become a 'top 7', then a 'top 8' and so on, until there are 10 clubs that could realistically qualify for the Champions League? And then, would it be wrong to assume that those clubs would also be able to retain their players as well as Spurs do at the moment? Especially if their billionaire owners are able to pay just as much in wages.

It's not fantasy, it's what has been happening and is happening right under your noses for years.

Last edited:

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Who has said we're going to win champions league this season in this thread?

Atleast when the other fans claims they're WUMming, they atleast have the size of their club to backup. You support Wolves. Sit down.
Invented European football mate.

At least is two words btw.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yes, you're right. The digs at my club got me into full wind up mode and I apologise!
Your posts arent that unreasonable to be fair.

Big question is whether Neves is really all that, for example Jorginho seems to have been found out a bit recently, does Neves offer more than him?

roonster09

Scout
But that's my point. Those teams in and around the 'top 6' can now retain their players from the sides that were traditionally the biggest. Whereas in the past, you could have your pick of players from Spurs, you now don't. Every transfer window, you see less and less players moving from the smaller clubs to the bigger clubs.

Back in the late 90s, only 2 clubs could realistically challenge. Then in the early 00s it went to 3. Then 4, then 5. Now it's the 'top 6' and realistically, any of those sides could challenge for at least a top 4 spot every season and maybe even the title. Leicester winning the title happened. It was maybe a freak occurrence, but it happened. They haven't capitalised on that as well as they could have.

Based on all this evidence, what makes you think that it won't become a 'top 7', then a 'top 8' and so on, until realistically there are 10 clubs that could realistically qualify for the Champions League? And then, would it be wrong to assume that those clubs would also be able to retain their players as well as Spurs do at the moment? Especially if their billionaire owners are able to pay just as much in wages.

It's not fantasy, it's what has been happening and is happening right under your noses for years.
Or bigger clubs are looking at players from other leagues than just from the league. Before PL wasn't as attractive to non British players, especially the good ones. Now with the growth of PL and players available from all over the world, they are looking at signing better players for smaller fee than signing not so good players for bigger fee.

ManUtd signed Lukaku from Everton,
Liverpool signed half of Southampton team,
Chelsea signed Barkley, Kante, Drinkwater
City signed Stones, Mahrez, Walker.

When they players look good enough they are signed by big clubs. It's just that the talent pool is bigger for PL clubs than ever. So most of the signings are from other leagues.

arthurka

We’re owned by the FOSUN group. One member of it is worth 7.3 billion but the overall group is worth 60 billion. Agreed he may not be a 100 million player but he is for us. He’s crucial to our success and our owners aspire to be like City and break into the top 6, there’s no reason for us to sell for less than that.
Fully agree, if the "bigger" clubs want to buy these players there isn´t any need for the owners to bend over for it. It would take something way over market value to sign this player.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Based on all this evidence, what makes you think that it won't become a 'top 7', then a 'top 8' and so on, until realistically there are 10 clubs that could realistically qualify for the Champions League? And then, would it be wrong to assume that those clubs would also be able to retain their players as well as Spurs do at the moment? Especially if their billionaire owners are able to pay just as much in wages.

Yes agree with this, football is evolving and becoming more and more competitive. The traditionally big clubs will always be that because of their history but the money in lower level teams makes them more competitive.

What i think will also become more evident is the gap between the PL and Championship.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Or bigger clubs are looking at players from other leagues than just from the league. Before PL wasn't as attractive to non British players, especially the good ones. Now with the growth of PL and players available from all over the world, they are looking at signing better players for smaller fee than signing not so good players for bigger fee.

ManUtd signed Lukaku from Everton,
Liverpool signed half of Southampton team,
Chelsea signed Barkley, Kante, Drinkwater
City signed Stones, Mahrez, Walker.

When they players look good enough they are signed by big clubs. It's just that the talent pool is bigger for PL clubs than ever. So most of the signings are from other leagues.
But my point is it is happening less and less in the last few seasons and will continue to reduce in frequency.

Arsenal were the first to do it when they built a title challenging team with cheaper foreign recruits.

If Spurs can get where they are with good foreign recruitment, buying from the lower leagues and developing their own, what is stopping another club doing exactly the same?

roonster09

Scout
But my point is it is happening less and less in the last few seasons and will continue to reduce in frequency.

Arsenal were the first to do it when they built a title challenging team with cheaper foreign recruits.

If Spurs can get where they are with good foreign recruitment, buying from the lower leagues and developing their own, what is stopping another club doing exactly the same?
Of course it's happening less for lot of various factors, one of them is clubs thinking they get either better value or better player elsewhere. Like I said, in 90s PL wasn't all that, big players weren't interested in moving to PL. Now it's different, so it doesn't make sense to buy from league when you can get equally good or better player for less money from other leagues.

Re Spurs and other clubs following same path, obviously anything can happen in football. There is Spurs and so many clubs who wanted to reach top and ended up elsewhere.

Anyways I'm done with this. Too much hypothetical with little or no substance.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Yes agree with this, football is evolving and becoming more and more competitive. The traditionally big clubs will always be that because of their history but the money in lower level teams makes them more competitive.

What i think will also become more evident is the gap between the PL and Championship.
And the largest clubs, Man Utd included, will always have a slight advantage given their huge turnover allows them to spend more.

But I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again. Man United should not get complacent (if they haven't already).

Look at the sides that are competing the best in the Premier League at the moment. City, Liverpool and Spurs.

All 3 have probably the best off-field structures with regards to recruitment and how their clubs are run.

Other sides, Wolves included, are copying these models to try to compete. With Mendes slipping us the likes of Moutinho for £5m here and there, it's looking rosy at the moment.

If we get it right, we could surprise sides that don't.

Throwing money down the drain on expensive flops is definitely not the way to do it.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Your posts arent that unreasonable to be fair.

Big question is whether Neves is really all that, for example Jorginho seems to have been found out a bit recently, does Neves offer more than him?
Both have experienced the same problems this season. The pace and intensity of the PL.

Neves has taken a while to find his feet and has struggled to impose himself against sides who crowd the midfield like Watford and Huddersfield. He shone against Leicester as they decided to abandon their midfield at times giving him all the space he needed to operate at his best.

Neves is also far more direct than Jorginho. He prefers one quality long pass than fifty short ones!

He is still 21, so has a lot to learn and I expect that Mendes will keep him here for a few more years before he moves him on. For all the negativity that surrounds Jorge Mendes, one thing he does do very well is put his players in the best possible position to showcase their talents and further their careers.

If Neves was sitting on the bench at a top 6 side, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@WolfInSharp'sClothing no problem but better talk about the player than giving advices to a club who won more than the others how they should be run. Neves is the topic.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Neves, 100m.
Wolves finishing higher than United.
United fans claiming we win the UCL.

Please come out of the hypothetical world in which you are living in so that we can have any reasonable discussion. Otherwise please continue your wummery somewhere else.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I reckon he does. I would gladly take him at United...if we didn't already have Herrera. In fact I still won't mind him here to challenge for Herrera's place.

He's physically strong and doesn't get bullied. He's not a typical genius DLP, but rather a DM with eye for a peach of a long pass. Physically strong, defensively astute and can start attacks from the deep...which compliments well with Pogba.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I actually love him. Really does give me Alonso vibes.

Can7onA

Wolves this and Wolves that, fact of the matter is if City or United come knocking with the right cash he's gone.

Wolves knew this when they signed him.

arnie_ni

Didnt see the game, would love to sign him, however thought he was poor for hazards goal. Showed him inside to the right. He should have rushed his right foot forced him to go to his left.

Trizy

Wolves this and Wolves that, fact of the matter is if City or United come knocking with the right cash he's gone.

They probably used it as a pro for signing for them. Told him about their ambitions and promised him a spot on the shop window in the greatest league in the world should he help them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He should stay there one more season. It will be good for him and the club. First season in the Premier League too.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

I'm not so sure. The weird Mendes relationship with the owners/players/manager, plus Wolves & their commitment to spend, might make this a bit different... Probably not, but maybe.

Can7onA

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to stay at Wolves personally, him and Moutinho in the middle have been outstanding. I just think that if the right money comes in they wouldn't stand in the way and I kind of think theres been that kind of agreement since he joined.

Red00012

Maybe we should sign him just to take free kicks , because we don’t have 1 player who kicks a ball about for 7 days a week that can get a ball over a few static players and attempt to hit the target.
Mind boggling.

passing-wind

Him or Jota, they are quality and underrated. People seem to giving the Wolves side plaudits but not Nuno ? He's thus far shown he's a very good coach, could be a force if had more resources at his disposal in my opinion.