Ruben Neves - Player watch

Can7onA

When was the last time you went there?

I was there the year Rio got his ban and the Munich chants were very audible! Screw em!
I live here. I've walked around for 30 years in United clobber and other than the odd bit of banter, there hasn't been any grief.

The Wolves fans hate everyone!

Bonjers

Supports
Wolves
Finalising the improvements to Molineux are mooted now promotion is pretty much sealed. They've outlined plans for up to 50k, which for me is slightly OTT at the moment.

The training ground is relatively new and we have a brand new academy with Grade One status. Morgan may have ballsed up elements on pitch, but he did good things with the club infrastructure that shouldn't be forgotten.

Hojoon

His goals this season have been ridiculous :lol:

Based on videos I'm not sure if he's the perfect fit here, looks more at home on the left side which is where Pogba is also at his best.

mercurial100

Supports
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Hi All

Wolves Fan here and I read with interest your views on Ruben Neves so I thought I would take a few minutes to tell you about this lad.

First of all, I am in my early 30's and have been going to Molineux for over 20 years. Now, I accept those 20 years haven't been the most successful in our history, but within that time I have seen an awful lot of Premiership and Championship (too much!) Football and Ruben Neves, is without doubt, the best player I have ever seen in old gold and is by far and away the best player I have ever seen in this division.

I guess from a neutral standpoint it's easy to counter the superlatives from Wolves Fans by suggesting that "it's only the championship", or his wonder goal "was hit and hope" and probably "never repeatable" but the hype about this lad is real. This isn't a Sessegnon with his undoubted ability, or a Louis Saha who found the division a stroll, or even an Ali Bernarbia from the blue side of your City who made the division look easy. This is a player who exudes quality I have never seen outside of the top 4 in England (and top 2 in Spain), a player who is so far ahead of not only the players in our own impressive squad, but a player who is head an shoulders above the whole division.

Neves is the traditional playmaker. He has a decent size about him, is mobile, has a bite in the tackle, is comfortable picking the ball up from the back four, is comfortable playing with the ball on the edge of the opposition box and dictates games with ease. He isn't a "box to box" midfielder in the traditional sense, but he's not immobile either - he has a fabulous engine with an unbelievable eye for pass which neither the fans or the opposition see coming!

He is clearly helped by the talent we have at Wolves and the formation suits his style. We play a 523 without the ball, changing to a 343 and have unbelievable pace within the front 3 and the two wing-backs who join the midfield when we have the ball and Neves simply picks the ball up, dictates the play, creates space and causes havoc.

His performances have been to such a high level, and unsurprisingly for most of the season he has been man-marked, but his ability to create space with quick feet and quick short passing is quite special to see. He is literally undefendable in this division.

He will be an absolute revelation in the Premier League and needs to be playing in a team who are forward thinking. I hope that will be with us, but to be honest, he is the first player to ever make me feel emotional watching the beauty of his play and his ability does belong in the Champions League.

If you watch his goals this season you will note his is capable of the ridiculous. He doesn't waste the ball either, almost every shot counts, he very, very rarely misses the target and I have never seen someone strike the ball in the way in which he does.

If you watch the goals, you'll note the point to the head in his celebration. This is in honour to his hero, Pirlo, who's book is titled "I think, therefore I play" - Neves is almost identical to Pirlo in so many ways and whilst I am not daft enough to suggest he is at that level yet, I genuinely, honestly believe he has the ability to get there.

Even Pirlo wasn't as experienced at 21 as Neves. He has the X-Factor - he is already the youngest ever captain in the Champions League but will go on to be one of the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akshay

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hi All

Wolves Fan here and I read with interest your views on Ruben Neves so I thought I would take a few minutes to tell you about this lad.

First of all, I am in my early 30's and have been going to Molineux for over 20 years. Now, I accept those 20 years haven't been the most successful in our history, but within that time I have seen an awful lot of Premiership and Championship (too much!) Football and Ruben Neves, is without doubt, the best player I have ever seen in old gold and is by far and away the best player I have ever seen in this division.

I guess from a neutral standpoint it's easy to counter the superlatives from Wolves Fans by suggesting that "it's only the championship", or his wonder goal "was hit and hope" and probably "never repeatable" but the hype about this lad is real. This isn't a Sessegnon with his undoubted ability, or a Louis Saha who found the division a stroll, or even an Ali Bernarbia from the blue side of your City who made the division look easy. This is a player who exudes quality I have never seen outside of the top 4 in England (and top 2 in Spain), a player who is so far ahead of not only the players in our own impressive squad, but a player who is head an shoulders above the whole division.

Neves is the traditional playmaker. He has a decent size about him, is mobile, has a bite in the tackle, is comfortable picking the ball up from the back four, is comfortable playing with the ball on the edge of the opposition box and dictates games with ease. He isn't a "box to box" midfielder in the traditional sense, but he's not immobile either - he has a fabulous engine with an unbelievable eye for pass which neither the fans or the opposition see coming!

He is clearly helped by the talent we have at Wolves and the formation suits his style. We play a 523 without the ball, changing to a 343 and have unbelievable pace within the front 3 and the two wing-backs who join the midfield when we have the ball and Neves simply picks the ball up, dictates the play, creates space and causes havoc.

His performances have been to such a high level, and unsurprisingly for most of the season he has been man-marked, but his ability to create space with quick feet and quick short passing is quite special to see. He is literally undefendable in this division.

He will be an absolute revelation in the Premier League and needs to be playing in a team who are forward thinking. I hope that will be with us, but to be honest, he is the first player to ever make me feel emotional watching the beauty of his play and his ability does belong in the Champions League.

If you watch his goals this season you will note his is capable of the ridiculous. He doesn't waste the ball either, almost every shot counts, he very, very rarely misses the target and I have never seen someone strike the ball in the way in which he does.

If you watch the goals, you'll note the point to the head in his celebration. This is in honour to his hero, Pirlo, who's book is titled "I think, therefore I play" - Neves is almost identical to Pirlo in so many ways and whilst I am not daft enough to suggest he is at that level yet, I genuinely, honestly believe he has the ability to get there.

Even Pirlo wasn't as experienced at 21 as Neves. He has the X-Factor - he is already the youngest ever captain in the Champions League but will go on to be one of the best!
That's a great read. Thanks for the detailed post.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
If we are interested in Neves, then hopefully the Portuguese link with Mendes and Jose will make it easier for us to get him.

He looks like a gem.

Redo91

I remember my Portuguese driving instructor who supported Porto telling me about this guy when he was first breaking through at 17. Shortly after I actually ended up going to a Porto match and saw him come on for the last 20 minutes or so. Porto were cruising but he really impressed. He clearly had a good range of passing on him and almost scored from abou 25 yards (he obviously has previous).

I was keeping an eye on him ever since as I felt he was as nailed on a prospect as you could find. I was pretty surprised to hear he had fallen out of favour at Porto and was on the move to the Championship of all places. If I’m being honest I thought he would just go through the motions there and never fulfill his potential but this hasn’t been the case at all.

I hope we are keeping a very close eye on him.

pascell

If we are interested in Neves, then hopefully the Portuguese link with Mendes and Jose will make it easier for us to get him.

He looks like a gem.
It depends how healthy the relationship between Jose and Mendes is. Apparnetly it became a little strained after Jose and Ronaldo had a falling out at Real, the press said at the time Mendes sided with Ronaldo, which which put Jose nose out of place.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He scored 6 goals this season so far... all of them amazing lol

The thing is, like some wolves fan put it, these wonder goals are not even the best about him.
That last one is honestly one of the best goals i have ever seen. Unbelievable goal, the flick up from the outside of the boot almost made the shot harder as it pinged up behind him, but made the shot look 10 times better. I’ve not seen him play so can not really comment on whether we should bring him in or not.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That last one is honestly one of the best goals i have ever seen. Unbelievable goal, the flick up from the outside of the boot almost made the shot harder as it pinged up behind him, but made the shot look 10 times better. I’ve not seen him play so can not really comment on whether we should bring him in or not.
Aye, it's one of the best goals I've seen too. The flick up did make the shot harder, but I think he had to flick it backward to create space as one of the two players closing him down would have blocked the shot if he'd knocked it forward instead. Absolute brilliance.

Pat_Mustard

Your wish is my command!

The man is a freak. Yes, it is currently only the Championship, but you can just see that he's far, far too good for this level. His ability to read the game sets him apart from anybody else I've seen at this level and is reminiscent of the true greats of that position. His ability to make space for himself, even under severe pressure reminds of Scholes. I can't compliment a central midfielder more than that.

He's scored twice as many goals as touches in the opposition box for god sake!

I do think he needs to play in a team and system where they're set up to dominate the ball and take risks with it. He dictates things and his main assets are going to be wasted in any system that doesn't play to those strengths.

He'll go to the very top, I just hope we can hold onto him for at least another season. Money isn't going to be an issue for us, our owners are worth an absolute fortune - but the time will inevitably come where his progression dictates he'll move on, unless we really, really crash the party.
Hi All

Great posts. Cheers lads. I almost feel bad for wanting us to steal him from you. Almost :).

Castia

Hi All

Great post, thanks for that.

I cant believe he's still only 21, it feels like hes been around forever. I hope we go for him his talent is obvious.

James Peril

Finalising the improvements to Molineux are mooted now promotion is pretty much sealed. They've outlined plans for up to 50k, which for me is slightly OTT at the moment.

The training ground is relatively new and we have a brand new academy with Grade One status. Morgan may have ballsed up elements on pitch, but he did good things with the club infrastructure that shouldn't be forgotten.
But will you have NFL-games and free wi-fi, and sushi restaurants like GlastonSpurs?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Watched him on Saturday against Villa, obviously it's a lower level but he looks like the confidence he had when he burst onto the scene at Porto is back, he's taken on responsibility in a tough league in a foreign country and is looking the part, he has the physicality to step up to the PL without any issues IMO and on the ball he reminds me so much of Xabi Alonso.
I think Championship is more physical to be honest and played at ridiculous pace at times. Problem is stepping up against much higher calibre of players and doing the same thing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bloody difficult to go from Championship to starting for Man Utd.
Anyway, we need more than one midfielder.
That's it. There is definitely room for 2 maybe even 3 midfielders.

Jibbs

This guy is as special as they come. He is destined to achieve levels of Pirlo, Alonso, Scholes. We will be very lucky to get him if we could. I would say that we should forget about getting Sergej and do everything we could to sign Neves. Neves along with somebody like Nainggolan/Vidal/Mousa Dembélé with Pogba playing just a bit upfront will be a mouth watering prospect. That being said, getting both him and SMS will be an absolute dream.

AKDevil

An interesting one to see how he gets on in the Premier League. His pedigree and previous links to big clubs suggests he is a genuine talent. Having watched a lot of the likes of Knockaert and Ince this season, they have not been a great advert for the Championship and players who star there being able to make the jump up. Both have looked out of their depth in the Premier League.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Aye, it's one of the best goals I've seen too. The flick up did make the shot harder, but I think he had to flick it backward to create space as one of the two players closing him down would have blocked the shot if he'd knocked it forward instead. Absolute brilliance.
Looked to me like he meant to knock it to his right but messed up the touch so it went upwards, adjusted himself, and took the shot on the volley instead. Probably more impressive in that light.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He has to develop 1 more season under Nuno to make the transition to a higher level of competition, surrounded by a portuguese technical staff with players he already knows, if his development is normal without injuries things will come naturally, if you don't have football brain you end like Renato Sanches, Neves is a different type of player, no need to hurry things.

Pat_Mustard

Looked to me like he meant to knock it to his right but messed up the touch so it went upwards, adjusted himself, and took the shot on the volley instead. Probably more impressive in that light.
You could well be right mate. I'm inclined to believe that he intended that first touch if only because I'm developing a massive muppet crush for him :).

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has to develop 1 more season under Nuno to make the transition to a higher level of competition, surrounded by a portuguese technical staff with players he already knows, if his development is normal without injuries things will come naturally, if you don't have football brain you end like Renato Sanches, Neves is a different type of player, no need to hurry things.
Problem being we will potentially miss out on him. If you are fancying that route then buy and loan is probably the starting to protect that from happening. That would be new territory for Manchester United.

Micky Targaryen

He scored 6 goals this season so far... all of them amazing lol

The thing is, like some wolves fan put it, these wonder goals are not even the best about him.
Was wondering why a thread about Wolves keep being bumped .. and then I saw this video.

Holy feck, that last goal. :eek:
Only someone like Cantona or Zlatan would attempt that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
So has the Caf decided that he is the midfielder we'll buy in the summer?

Dante

Average bang
He looks like a truly special player based on that compilation. I don't think I've ever got that impression about a midfielder so quickly.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's going to have offers but he should stay another year at Wolves. I thought he'd made a terrible career move by going to the championship so I'm glad to have been wrong.

I wouldn't judge him on highlights though, being a great midfielder is usually about how often he makes the right decisions and he still has to get better.

With Danilo's injury he's most likely going to the World Cup now, this has been a great year for him.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Watching his matches for Wolves and I think physically he could do with another season for a lower team but in the EPL before making transition into a bigger side. He's still a tad immobile in terms of covering lots of ground but no doubt football brain wise he's too good for that level or anything outside the top 8 TBF.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Watching his matches for Wolves and I think physically he could do with another season for a lower team but in the EPL before making transition into a bigger side. He's still a tad immobile in terms of covering lots of ground but no doubt football brain wise he's too good for that level or anything outside the top 8 TBF.
When you say 'immobile,' Is that slow or just lacking the fitness to stay the pace? We don't need a slow midfielder

Steebear

Supports
Wolves
Hello all, read this thread with interest and I am a long time Wolves fan myself. I had a real soft spot for United as a lad though because my father supported them and I spent a lot of time collecting all the Merlin stickers of my favourite players such as Cole, Kanchelskis and Cantona. My real favourite has always been Scholes though and I have to say that Neves reminds me so much of him with the way that he plays.

He plays in that deep midfiel position for us, he always seems to be in space to recieve the ball and his head is always up and looking for that forward pass. I am sure you have all watched the videoes by now but he makes a wide variety of passes out to our wingbacks and directly into the path of our moving strikers as well. He is definitely destined for a top club and I just hope that we can hold onto him for a season at least in the PL after we go up. He would certainly be a fantastic signing for United and does not look out of place in the rough and tumble atmosphere of the Championship.

It will be very interesting to see if he makes an appearance or impact at the forthcoming WC and this could further get him on the stage where he will be noticed more readily. He has been the player of the season for us and sorely missed in games where he has been suspended (yes also like Scholes he likes a challenge and can be reckless in the timing) due to his ability to dictate the tempo of the game when used as the creative outlet.

Best of luck for the rest of this season and can't wait to face you next year!

Reactions: Invictus

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
If he is immobile or slow we shouldn't pounce. We've already got one midfielder in Matic with limited mobility.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When you say 'immobile,' Is that slow or just lacking the fitness to stay the pace? We don't need a slow midfielder
Hard to tell as he's in the infancy of his career. He is very mobile in terms of footwork and agility but he's abit like Andreas Pereira in that he doesn't cover ground that well and will need lots of legs around him. Pace is less of an issue it's more about ground coverage.. guys like Scholes and Xavi lacked pace but had the ability to move across the pitch and get into positions constantly and someone like Xabi Alonso whose even more slower had enough movement in the legs to keep up with the game as does someone like Kroos .. so it's not necessarily fatal but it means the rest of your game and especially your brain has to really be top notch to compensate.