Ruben Neves - Player watch

Sterling Archer

Hi All

Wolves Fan here and I read with interest your views on Ruben Neves so I thought I would take a few minutes to tell you about this lad.

First of all, I am in my early 30's and have been going to Molineux for over 20 years. Now, I accept those 20 years haven't been the most successful in our history, but within that time I have seen an awful lot of Premiership and Championship (too much!) Football and Ruben Neves, is without doubt, the best player I have ever seen in old gold and is by far and away the best player I have ever seen in this division.

I guess from a neutral standpoint it's easy to counter the superlatives from Wolves Fans by suggesting that "it's only the championship", or his wonder goal "was hit and hope" and probably "never repeatable" but the hype about this lad is real. This isn't a Sessegnon with his undoubted ability, or a Louis Saha who found the division a stroll, or even an Ali Bernarbia from the blue side of your City who made the division look easy. This is a player who exudes quality I have never seen outside of the top 4 in England (and top 2 in Spain), a player who is so far ahead of not only the players in our own impressive squad, but a player who is head an shoulders above the whole division.

Neves is the traditional playmaker. He has a decent size about him, is mobile, has a bite in the tackle, is comfortable picking the ball up from the back four, is comfortable playing with the ball on the edge of the opposition box and dictates games with ease. He isn't a "box to box" midfielder in the traditional sense, but he's not immobile either - he has a fabulous engine with an unbelievable eye for pass which neither the fans or the opposition see coming!

He is clearly helped by the talent we have at Wolves and the formation suits his style. We play a 523 without the ball, changing to a 343 and have unbelievable pace within the front 3 and the two wing-backs who join the midfield when we have the ball and Neves simply picks the ball up, dictates the play, creates space and causes havoc.

His performances have been to such a high level, and unsurprisingly for most of the season he has been man-marked, but his ability to create space with quick feet and quick short passing is quite special to see. He is literally undefendable in this division.

He will be an absolute revelation in the Premier League and needs to be playing in a team who are forward thinking. I hope that will be with us, but to be honest, he is the first player to ever make me feel emotional watching the beauty of his play and his ability does belong in the Champions League.

If you watch his goals this season you will note his is capable of the ridiculous. He doesn't waste the ball either, almost every shot counts, he very, very rarely misses the target and I have never seen someone strike the ball in the way in which he does.

If you watch the goals, you'll note the point to the head in his celebration. This is in honour to his hero, Pirlo, who's book is titled "I think, therefore I play" - Neves is almost identical to Pirlo in so many ways and whilst I am not daft enough to suggest he is at that level yet, I genuinely, honestly believe he has the ability to get there.

Even Pirlo wasn't as experienced at 21 as Neves. He has the X-Factor - he is already the youngest ever captain in the Champions League but will go on to be one of the best!
Excellent summary! I had been impressed with the highlights and your description confirms he’ll be a great addition to whichever team he joins next.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If he is immobile or slow we shouldn't pounce. We've already got one midfielder in Matic with limited mobility.
Depends really. Would you say no to Scholes right now? Or prime Carrick?

We'll probably get two midfielders anyway and one will be more mobile I'd imagine. I could see him being the guy feeding the likes of Pogba further up the pitch. We don't necessarily need a destroyer in the deeper midfield position.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel like Ruben Neves and Ryan Sessengon are too sensible transfers to make sense for us. They'll both end up at Spurs or something frustrating like that.
Still remember how we missed out on Gareth Bale to Spurs.

Red_toad

I feel like Ruben Neves and Ryan Sessengon are too sensible transfers to make sense for us. They'll both end up at Spurs or something frustrating like that.
You can't force a player to join United. United bid for him and lost out as he wanted to go to Spuds. Obviously he wanted Spurs more. Getting hung up on young prospects joining other clubs is pretty lame...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You can't force a player to join United. United bid for him and lost out as he wanted to go to Spuds. Obviously he wanted Spurs more. Getting hung up on young prospects joining other clubs is pretty lame...
It was a long time ago and the way I remember it was we didn't bother trying to sign him as hard as Spurs did.

Other prospects is fair enough, obviously lame. But I didn't much care about Ramsey going to Arsenal over us. I'm just saying it was annoying to see Bale go to Spurs particularly because he ended up being a world class talent. There is nothing lame about that.

Red_toad

It was a long time ago and the way I remember it was we didn't bother trying to sign him as hard as Spurs did.

Other prospects is fair enough, obviously lame. But I didn't much care about Ramsey going to Arsenal over us. I'm just saying it was annoying to see Bale go to Spurs particularly because he ended up being a world class talent. There is nothing lame about that.
Yeah mate you need a reality check. It’s lame.
Better to look forward, as the past is past. No club can sign every young prospect.

Sterling Archer

I've followed Neves for about 24 hours now. I want him in a United shirt badly. I've got that muppet feeling...think Gizmo getting water on himself :wenger: Surely the Portuguese connection will help? I'd even be okay with a full transfer and loan back to Wolves for a season.

Steven7290

You saw the Gareth Bale after 5 seasons at Spurs in the Gareth Bale playing left back for 45 games for Southampton? That's some vision.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah mate you need a reality check. It’s lame.
Better to look forward, as the past is past. No club can sign every young prospect.
It's lame to remember the time we missed out on a talent who turned out to be world class?

Drawing parallels with past occurrences is often part of football discussions, you should get over it.

Seven Seas Sardines

I wanted him so badly too when he was at Southampton, a left-back slamming in free-kicks at will. If we miss out on Sessegnon and Neves I feel I'll end up with a similar feeling.

FujiVice

A Portuguese defensive midfielder who has came through the Porto youth system and can pull out a bit of genius when needed? Mourinho will be all over this lad.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wanted him so badly too when he was at Southampton, a left-back slamming in free-kicks at will. If we miss out on Sessegnon and Neves I feel I'll end up with a similar feeling.
It's weird, particularly with Sessengon.

A championship player teenage left back electric going forward. Very Bale reminiscent there.. The position is vacant and so is the potential to move further up the pitch permanently in the long term. I'm sure there are many clubs looking at him with Spurs being a big one after they inevitably lose Rose.

FireBlade

The weight of pass that he has is Scholes like and he has a hammer of a shot from what i have seen.

i could see it
Martial Rom Sanchez
Pogba Neves
Matic

Pogba and Neves could destroy the center with possession, skill, athleticism
with Matic Destroying every one else.

You can clearly see from how often he picks his head up that he will be an absolute assist machine

Seven Seas Sardines

It's weird, particularly with Sessengon.

A championship player teenage left back electric going forward. Very Bale reminiscent there.. The position is vacant and so is the potential to move further up the pitch permanently in the long term. I'm sure there are many clubs looking at him with Spurs being a big one after they inevitably lose Rose.
Sessegnon could be a future left-back or right-winger just like Bale if he adapts. Two positions where we are found lacking.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Don't care about his goals, his passing is what makes him stand out and the reason we should keep tabs on him.

Matic will most likely be a certain starter again next year, so i'm not sure we have a spot for Neves right now. But in a year, we could look for a new DM. Neves should certainly be on the list.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You saw the Gareth Bale after 5 seasons at Spurs in the Gareth Bale playing left back for 45 games for Southampton? That's some vision.
To be fair to the poster you are quoting Bale was very exciting before moving to Spurs and his potential ceiling looked very high and he has achieved that.

Who gives a...

Seems very adept at passing between the lines, something we have missed since Carrick stopped being a regular. Been impressed the games I have seen him in this season, definitely has a feel of a player who at some point will play a big role at a big club.

If we are going for a CM this summer then we could do a lot worse than this guy.

Red_toad

It's lame to remember the time we missed out on a talent who turned out to be world class?

Drawing parallels with past occurrences is often part of football discussions, you should get over it.
I should get over that you're still fretting over stuff that happened around a decade ago? Ok thanks :lol:

Oldyella

Sure I read a stat that he has scored more goals from outside oppo box than he has had touches in it which is pretty impressive.

We should be all over this guy, would be ideal if we are playing a midfield 3 next year. Also think his price will rocket when he performs in the prem as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I should get over that you're still fretting over stuff that happened around a decade ago? Ok thanks :lol:
Yes you should get over the fact that I drew a parallel from a past occurrence, which is quite a normal thing in general debates.

Fretting? Do you know how to read posts? Would love to know where I was "hung up" or "fretting" over anything.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sure I read a stat that he has scored more goals from outside oppo box than he has had touches in it which is pretty impressive.
Dont make much sense? Scoring six goals from outside the box is impressive. Having less than 6 touches in the box is not.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Dont make much sense? Scoring six goals from outside the box is impressive. Having less than 6 touches in the box is not.
Or he’s sticking to his instructions from his boss.

How many times do deep lying playmakers need to venture into the box?

Red_toad

Yes you should get over the fact that I drew a parallel from a past occurrence, which is quite a normal thing in general debates.

Fretting? Do you know how to read posts? Would love to know where I was "hung up" or "fretting" over anything.
Yeah mate, follow your own advice and move on.

NYAS

He can spray monstrous passes with barely any backlift is the conclusion I’m getting from this Birmingham game so far..

Red_toad

I have. Don't bother quoting me and make daft conclusions next time. Cheers.
Hope you get over Bale sometime in the near future and get used to be pulled up on things you post on a forum, it'll happen.

Back on topic Neves reminds me a fair bit of Scholes, don't think he'll be as good as him in the long term, but certainly looking forward to seeing him in the Premier league next season, regardless of who he plays for.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
One of these signings you just need to risk making before it’s too late. If he’s good enough he’ll make it, there is no point waiting until he performs at PL level.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He can spray monstrous passes with barely any backlift is the conclusion I’m getting from this Birmingham game so far..
His right foot technique has always been special. First touch, passing, long shots are all very well calibrated.

I still remember him in Porto's u17 or so while being 2 years younger than them, he would still be top scorer while playing as midfield.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hope you get over Bale sometime in the near future and get used to be pulled up on things you post on a forum, it'll happen.

Back on topic Neves reminds me a fair bit of Scholes, don't think he'll be as good as him in the long term, but certainly looking forward to seeing him in the Premier league next season, regardless of who he plays for.
Get over Scholes mate, he's retired.