Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R77

Neves is not better than Fred.
At what? Sitting back and screening the defence, long and short passing he is. By some distance. Harrying the opposition, being a Kante-lite and a general nuisance? Nowhere near. Very different players.

We don't have anyone with Neves' attributes in the squad other than a past-it Matic. Maybe a little of Pogba's long range passing ability. That's why I've warmed to the idea, but there don't seem to be any reliable links.

theklr

Probably because of the whole sketchy set-up at Wolves, and how they got such quality players into their club in the first place.
Probably a lot of agent driven agreements about when they can leave and for how much.
Also the Covid hit + money for the new manager

RedKnight88

Lining up like this for the start of the season would be amazing:

Cavani

Sancho B.Fernandes M.Greenwood

Paul Pogba Ruben Neves

Shaw Maguire Varane Wan-Bissaka

D.Henderson

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Lining up like this for the start of the season would be amazing:

Cavani

Sancho B.Fernandes M.Greenwood

Paul Pogba Ruben Neves

Shaw Maguire Varane Wan-Bissaka

D.Henderson
I’m not sure a Pogba-neves midfield would work in a 2. We will get over run very very easy. I think a neves and Fred or neves and mctominay may work a bit better.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t rate Fred too highly, but I’d definitely take him over Neves.

Nori-

Neves is no better than Fred, each have their own Pro/Cons but overall he wouldn't improve our first team much.

Naturally our fan base will now make Neves sound like a peak Makelele, as we all love a shiny new signing.

We're so close to challenging for the Prem again, why not pull all the stops and do it properly? Go for Goretzka or Camavinga. Convince them we are going places, pay what we have to.

Then sell 5+ of the mediocre players we have in the squad to balance the books and start thinking big again.

theklr

Neves is no better than Fred, each have their own Pro/Cons but overall he wouldn't improve our first team much.

Naturally our fan base will now make Neves sound like a peak Makelele, as we all love a shiny new signing.

We're so close to challenging for the Prem again, why not pull all the stops and do it properly? Go for Goretzka or Camavinga. Convince them we are going places, pay what we have to.

Then sell 5+ of the mediocre players we have in the squad to balance the books and start thinking big again.
While I agree with you in theory, i dont think a 18 year old from League 1 is instantly going to take us to the next level nomatter how talented he is. Maybe in a few years time.

Brightonian

Neves and Pogba would be a worryingly low-energy midfield pair. Yes, Neves sits naturally deeper than Fred and it would be nice to have someone who can dictate with his range of passing. But he's not especially defensively dominant and he doesn't get through anywhere near as much work off the ball as Fred. Lots of PL midfields would out-work that one.

The issue with finding anyone to pair with Pogba in a midfield two, rich as the rewards could be, is that you're looking for a very rare, absolutely top-drawer player. Someone who likes to sit deep, can pass and think, but is also a serious workhorse. Even France can't get away with it with Kante, and normally put a bonus midfielder on the wing. Kimmich might be able to pull it off, or Verratti. But beyond that I draw a bit of a blank.

I suppose if you consider Bruno to be part of a midfield 3, then you can have him working hard ahead of Pogba, a DM working hard behind Pogba, and Pogba pulling the strings and not having to do as much work in the middle. Particularly with two composed, intelligent CBs like Maguire and Varane stepping out and capable of picking out passes themselves.

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
I don’t rate Fred too highly, but I’d definitely take him over Neves.
Neves is no better than Fred, each have their own Pro/Cons but overall he wouldn't improve our first team
stop it, you’re killing me, he’s twice the player Fred is, his tracking back, his passing ability, his ability to dictate play from the back is fantastic, some of you don’t deserve him.
Anyway it’s gone quiet our end and Neves has been used further up the pitch under Lage to good effect so hopefully he’s decided to give us another year.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Wondering why this thread is bumped as see nothing at all about a move.
there was a Norwegian reporter who reported something about a development in the Neves interest. No idea what tier and how reliable he is.

Edit found the tweet. He said the following.

(Andres Korrsund)

‘Manchester United are very interested in Rúben Neves. Manchester United have liked the player for several years, and Wolves are willing to sell for around £ 35m. Evolving situation. #MUFC

Mr Smith

I’m not sure a Pogba-neves midfield would work in a 2. We will get over run very very easy. I think a neves and Fred or neves and mctominay may work a bit better.
I don't think it works against top sides who will press us constantly, but I think it's fine against weaker sides where we'll expect to dominate the ball. Neves isn't actually that slow, and he makes up for the lack of pace with excellent positioning, the same way Matic does. A lot of people are forgetting Neves has played in a midfield two with a mid-30's Moutinho for the last few seasons.

edcunited1878

Neves would be a very good addition to the United squad, with or without Pogba. A Fred and Neves central partnership would thrive and function a lot better than current partnerships. It also allows for different pairings because Neves or Pogba have superior passing ability than Fred or McTominay.

Last edited:

KennyBurner

Well he can accurately make a pass longer than 20 yards with pace without doing a floater and can hit the target from more than 6 yards out. So he's definitely better.
At what? Sitting back and screening the defence, long and short passing he is. By some distance. Harrying the opposition, being a Kante-lite and a general nuisance? Nowhere near. Very different players.

We don't have anyone with Neves' attributes in the squad other than a past-it Matic. Maybe a little of Pogba's long range passing ability. That's why I've warmed to the idea, but there don't seem to be any reliable links.
Fred is the sueprior player. Better short passer and provides more energy in midfield for us. Also much more composed and can dictate play better than neves.
https://fbref.com/en/players/b853e0ad/scout/365_euro/Fred-Scouting-Report
https://fbref.com/en/players/44bfb6c5/scout/10728/Ruben-Neves-Scouting-Report

Better passing amd possession statistic while both are very similar on defense.

You can all leave your bitterness at the door when talking about a class United player! Dont let his midfield partnership fool you. He is very good.

MrSingh2002

Can't believe anyone thinks Fred is better than Neves.

A world apart in football ability. Neves is not going to play as the deepest midfielder. He would be a Pogba replacement. All rounder who can keep the ball moving from back to front.

MrSingh2002

What's shit is that the transfer window runs until 31st August. So we will probably have 4 weeks of this shit until the midfield situation might be resolved.

theklr

A world apart in football ability. Neves is not going to play as the deepest midfielder. He would be a Pogba replacement. All rounder who can keep the ball moving from back to front.
They are two very different players so its really a stupid comparison in the first place.

edcunited1878

Midfield need a scrappy and high energy player who can transition quickly up the pitch once possession is won. That is Fred. Neves is the better and more cultured footballer, which also has a place in the center.

The dislike for Fred shows a blind dislike for United and lack of appreciation for what he brings to the club.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

This, obviously, is not true. No need to resort to massive exaggerations just because you rate one higher than the other.

And also God help us if Neves is Pogba's replacement. Not good enough for that.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

Neves is not better than Fred.
He’s completely different and better than Fred at many things. Not as mobile; not such a great engine. Which of them is better for us would depend on the opposition and on who else is in our team.

KennyBurner

He’s completely different and better than Fred at many things. Not as mobile; not such a great engine. Which of them is better for us would depend on the opposition and on who else is in our team.
Yes he is more of a deeper player and different but isnt better which is my point. Fred gets such a bad rep because he is stuck with mctominay. Nowadays you cant even speak about Fred without including mctominay.

KennyBurner

Fred was a top 5 best midfielder in 19/20 season. Here is a nice video to refresh your memories. 20/21 he wasnt as good but we still finished second :drool: . Respect the man and stop comparing neves to him.

Just look at the weight of his passes. Neves isnt capable of that. He is more of a long pass player when there are players standing next to him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

This is Neves thread, not Kroos, Modric, Busquets thread.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't watch Wolves a lot but everytime I watched him, he reminds me of Jorginho a lot, technical especially with their passing but they lack physical attribute. My only concern with this transfer is that he's the bottom of the Portugal NT in pecking order. He can't play over William, Palhinha, and Danilo and that is concerning whether we should even go for him ''now''. Although, he could be a good option to rotate with McTominay and Fred as I don't believe Matic has the leg anymore to even give McTominay and Fred some rest.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Midfield need a scrappy and high energy player who can transition quickly up the pitch once possession is won. That is Fred. Neves is the better and more cultured footballer, which also has a place in the center.

The dislike for Fred shows a blind dislike for United and lack of appreciation for what he brings to the club.
Since when this happened?

FujiVice

Dont like how this has turned into a Fred vs Neves thing. Fred's going nowhere if we sign Neves, and chances are will play a lot of games with him. Neves brings a lot of qualities that would be a great addition to have in our midfield. Especially with the way Ole wants to play next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.