Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Players cheaper than that on the continent has the risk of using a long time to adapt to PL , if they do at all. VDB is a case in point here. Ofcourse , they might do it instantly, but one never knows. And I dont think we have the possibility of brooding in yet another midfielder if we are going to challenge this year.
VDB is no better than Neves though, irrelevant to the argument

Marcus

This signing makes too much sense. A reasonable fee (apparently) , experience in the EPL, Beckham-like passing and free kick abilities. What's not to like? All aboard this train.

SamVimes

This signing makes too much sense. A reasonable fee (apparently) , experience in the EPL, Beckham-like passing and free kick abilities. What's not to like? All aboard this train.
Too slow, passing range no where near Beckham, and not a proper DM.

jesperjaap

Out of the two I would prefer Neves. He's shown his quality in the premier league already, there would be no adaption needed.
Has he though?.... or has he proved his quality in the championship? I think he has been decent but not exactly excelled or even stood out in his own team personally during there time in the premiership.

WIth all the midfielders about, he doesnt really excite me as a signining personally. I get the argument poster above made to me of him being proven in the premiership, but again he hasnt excelled. I think he is a good player, don get me wrong, but he certainly isnt the player from the championship who looked top quality

If we are going down that train of thought, personally I would much rather Bissouma who would probably be a similar fee.

Mark McMaw

Regardless with what happens with Pogba Neves is a must especially with the fee that's being talked about (£30-35m). I don't think he gets enough credit for the defensive side to his game everyone talks about his passing ability etc but his stats defensively aren't far of the likes of a Bissouma or an Ndidi not to mention he has the ability to control a game doing the simple things effectively while not being afraid to make that forward pass something we lack if Pogba isn't on the pitch in that area. Dont think he's the flashy big name so called 'CDM' everyone might want like a Rice or Ndidi but he'd do an excellent job and at the age of 24 he'll only get better!

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Looks like Paul Pogba is staying, if that happens, i don't see this one happening, maybe January or by next summer.

OrcaFat

He is a decent player and would get better playing in our team. Reading about him, he seems to have the right personality to do well here. He captained Porto at 18 and we sorely lack leadership in CM. I think he would have a greater positive impact than his stats and physical attributes suggest.

Zoo

Finally someone other then Dean Jones mentions Ruben Neves.

izec

We replaced Pogba already with Bruno and VdB. It is quite clear that we want a more defensive midfielder, so we wont buy a direct Pogba replacement in that sense.

mu4c_20le

The only real Pogba replacement is Camavinga, I hope neves only a Plan B and that we should make a serious push for him near the end of the window.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Saul or Neves, who would be best for us.
If you want a Fred with better heading skills and a few more goals in general, Saúl, and perhaps he could grow into a strong holding midfielder, but based on his play at Atleti, I'm not sure if he has the type of personality to be reliable there.

I don't know Neves as well, but if Man Utd really wants a holding midfielder for a 4-3-3, he seems to be the better type to get.

When using 4-2-3-1, I'd reckon you're better off with Fred - Neves than Saúl - McTominay, too. I'm not sure if a Saúl - Pogba could be better than Fred - Pogba or Pogba - Neves, either.

Maybe Saúl will benefit from the change of tactics and surroundings, but if he stays at Atleti I'd prefer him as a goal scoring offensive midfielder, left center back in a 3cb formation, or perhaps as a wingback cover. as CM/DM I'm not sure if I'd trust him enough, and I think that this is what United needs more than the things I just named.

I don't know if Neves fits well, either, but I do know that he'd complement Pogba and Bruno better in PES :lol: (although Saúl would be the better option on the bench with his ability to play everywhere, to some extent)

theklr

Per the latest Athletic article we’re trying to make VDB into an 8 . So unless both Matic and Lingard goes I dont see how we have room for him if Pogba stays as well.

Edit: Oh, forgot Pereira. Might be a chance then

Last edited:

nainaisson

I don't know Neves as well, but if Man Utd really wants a holding midfielder for a 4-3-3, he seems to be the better type to get.
Reliable journalists are coming out with this "Ole's changing to an attacking 4-3-3 system" stuff and it seems crazy to me because Matic is the only one we currently have who can play at the base of that midfield and he can only play a single half before turning into a statue. Either Ole is expecting another midfielder soon or he sees something in Fred and McTominay that I certainly don't.

AneRu

Reliable journalists are coming out with this "Ole's changing to an attacking 4-3-3 system" stuff and it seems crazy to me because Matic is the only one we currently have who can play at the base of that midfield and he can only play a single half before turning into a statue. Either Ole is expecting another midfielder soon or he sees something in Fred and McTominay that I certainly don't.
This blind spot towards the need for a real DM will prove costly for Ole because even if he does get Neves in Matic still remains the only player capable of playing as a sole DM and he is finished. Neves could play as a 6 but he'd need a defensive Box to Box CM alongside him otherwise teams will just run through us. Then there is a question as to whether he has the passing ability to become the controlling midfielder a team playing with Fred/McTominay as an 8 needs besides his very good long passes. That is also before we consider how we can play any of them in a midfield with Bruno and Pogba.

That DM signing is going to be our weakest link and will cost us the chance for real growth and might even set us back.

Will Singh

Out of all the CM’s we’ve been linked to, Neves makes more sense. PL proven and won’t come with a big price tag and much much better then Rice who has English tax added on and probably push to £80m+. Although I don’t rate Rice has highly as they have us believe!

Hanky panky

He has 3y left his contract. He is only 24y old. If he is that good, why would he cost only 30M+? I have feeling he is just a new Schneiderlin.

theklr

Out of all the CM’s we’ve been linked to, Neves makes more sense. PL proven and won’t come with a big price tag and much much better then Rice who has English tax added on and probably push to £80m+. Although I don’t rate Rice has highly as they have us believe!
Rice is better as a pure DM , Neves is quite slow. But as a deep playmaker/defensive hybrid Neves is better, yes

theklr

Could see us go for him if Matic goes to Roma, since Xhaka is staying.

Far away from prime Matic, but with the current Matic he is an upgrade I think

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pedro Neto is the only Wolves player worth a punt on, but we are stocked in that area. Not sure if Neves is any better than Fred or McTominay.

theklr

Pedro Neto is the only Wolves player worth a punt on, but we are stocked in that area. Not sure if Neves is any better than Fred or McTominay.
He offers something different to both of them (long/medium range passing) and is better defensivly than McTominay at least

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He has 3y left his contract. He is only 24y old. If he is that good, why would he cost only 30M+? I have feeling he is just a new Schneiderlin.
Probably because of the whole sketchy set-up at Wolves, and how they got such quality players into their club in the first place.
Probably a lot of agent driven agreements about when they can leave and for how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.