Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

I think we could definitely play them together, but they might suffer a bit in big matches. Be brilliant in 80% of games though, having De Jong roam and Neves sit.

croadyman

I think we could definitely play them together, but they might suffer a bit in big matches. Be brilliant in 80% of games though, having De Jong roam and Neves sit.
Hard to see him choosing us over Barca

RuudTom83

Neves would be a nice upgrade for the United midfield but you know the United Tax will be horrendous and put massive pressure on United and the player.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wolves values him at 100m not long ago, I doubt we could get him really cheap (like under 40m).

chicha14

We will land up with Neves as Wolves sign Palhinha who is a better player!

TheDosser56

This is the type of common sense signing United use to make but don't make anymore like they would under Fergie and Gill. They prefer the flashy big-names like De Jong and chasing them all summer even if they don't get them

you'd get Neves for under £50M. He is Premier League Proven and will jump at the chance to join Manchester United because he's at a small club in Wolves.

he is the right age and ready to take the next step on the cusp of his career. It's the type of signing Fergie and David Gill would be all over. Hungry footballer on the cusp of greatness.

I do worry that if we don't sign Neves then he will go to Arsenal and Barca and we will regret It when he turns into an absolute superstar.

he can pass, great engine and loves a tackle. Also great shot on him.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This is the type of common sense signing United use to make but don't make anymore like they would under Fergie and Gill. They prefer the flashy big-names like De Jong and chasing them all summer even if they don't get them

you'd get Neves for under £50M. He is Premier League Proven and will jump at the chance to join Manchester United because he's at a small club in Wolves.

he is the right age and ready to take the next step on the cusp of his career. It's the type of signing Fergie and David Gill would be all over. Hungry footballer on the cusp of greatness.

I do worry that if we don't sign Neves then he will go to Arsenal and Barca and we will regret It when he turns into an absolute superstar.

Rumours suggest Wolves will want anything from £70m-100m for him. Doubt you'd get him that cheap.

EDIT: We all keep having the same convos in loop on here. No way a proven player in the prem in a position United are crying out for sells for cheap, particularly with others sniffing round.

Tavern in the town

This is such a myth.

Drizzle

De Jong is levels above Neves, it's not even close. Neves is a good player but I have never seen him dominate a midfield, ever. And I've seen him live many times. There's a reason we're after FDJ as our first priority.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Shouldn’t be paying more then 40 for this guy. He’d upgrade our midfield yes. But anything over 40 and you’d expect quite a few goals and assists from him which isn’t in his game really.

Silverman

Surely this guy is worth a punt. Used to the Premier League and is a definite upgrade on what we have.

Abraxas

I don't think he'll be on the radar if we buy De Jong. I could be wrong but I don't think that combination would be one the manager would go for. I reckon Neves is probably an alternative, even if he is not exactly the same style (there aren't many De Jong types about)

Blood Mage

He's decent but for the price being quoted no chance. He's not a top-class player.

dan1509

He's decent but for the price being quoted no chance. He's not a top-class player.
Better than decent, def a good player and would 100% improve our midfield. However, like you said he is not worth the prices being quoted.

Rolaholic

Massively overrated and priced ludicrously. Next
Yea he's quite overrated by United fans since he always shows out against us, like so many PL players, but he's quite average the majority of the time in the league.

Moutinho has consistently been Wolves best midfielder when fit during Neves's time there.

He'd definitely still be an upgrade on McTom but not worth the outrageous price it would take for Wolves to sell him to another Prem club.

DJ_21

Yea he's quite overrated by United fans since he always shows out against us, like so many PL players, but he's quite average the majority of the time in the league.

Moutinho has consistently been Wolves best midfielder when fit during Neves's time there.

He'd definitely still be an upgrade on McTom but not worth the outrageous price it would take for Wolves to sell him to another Prem club.
100% agree. We need to go for the guy who wolves want to replace neves. Plays for sporting Liston… he’d be a much better option for us.

DJ_21

Man Utd have been linked with this guy every transfer window for the past five years.
Makes him sound so old when you say it like that :lol: Can’t believe he’s only 25. He’s someone that you’d need to sign when he was a young lad… not worth signing now.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Makes him sound so old when you say it like that :lol: Can’t believe he’s only 25. He’s someone that you’d need to sign when he was a young lad… not worth signing now.
25 is old ? Since when ? Modric was nothing at 25 and now look at him.

Not saying this applies to Neves but just the notion that a player is old at 25

DJ_21

25 is old ? Since when ? Modric was nothing at 25 and now look at him.

Not saying this applies to Neves but just the notion that a player is old at 25
Really? I’d class 25 as still young to be honest… over 27 is old. I’d say Midfielders usually hit there best years between 25 and 30. Modric is just a different beast all together, but he’s playing in a slower league and at a team that dominates possession so that plays into modric hands.

SportingCP96

Supports
Really? I’d class 25 as still young to be honest… over 27 is old. I’d say Midfielders usually hit there best years between 25 and 30. Modric is just a different beast all together, but he’s playing in a slower league and at a team that dominates possession so that plays into modric hands.
No I’m agreeing that 25 is young, 27-33 for me is the peak of a midfielder now a days.

DJ_21

No I’m agreeing that 25 is young, 27-33 for me is the peak of a midfielder now a days.
Oh ye I get what your saying… seems like he’s been around forever though :lol: Probably because he’s been at wolves for like 5 years. It’s a tricky one with midfielders because they do most of the work on a football pitch but once they get old there legs start to tire more. All depends on the pace of the league I guess.

SportingCP96

Supports
Oh ye I get what your saying… seems like he’s been around forever though :lol: Probably because he’s been at wolves for like 5 years. It’s a tricky one with midfielders because they do most of the work on a football pitch but once they get old there legs start to tire more. All depends on the pace of the league I guess.
I would use Moutinho as an example, he joined wolves in his thirties and consistently has been one of their best player.

Lots of people seem to think guys are old once they hit 25 which is crazy to me

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think people tend to exaggerate the effects of aging a bit, its ain't the 19th century, sports science has evolved and most players will be just fine by the time they pass their 30th birthday.
Also center backs and midfielders need to depend a lot on their reading of the game and that only comes with experience.

DJ_21

I would use Moutinho as an example, he joined wolves in his thirties and consistently has been one of their best player.

Lots of people seem to think guys are old once they hit 25 which is crazy to me
I know, that’s nonsense that. 25 is probably the perfect age for a midfielder. Plenty of experience and still years ahead of them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Moutinho was better in the early days, but the Wolves fans that I've seen have said Neves has been better the last two seasons. Partly because he has gotten better (as expected as he approaches his prime) and partly because Moutinho has been declining (also expected as he ages).

I suspect he'll end up leaving for a fair bit cheaper than some of the prices being bandied around, but he is probably more of an alternative to FDJ rather than a partner.

themanguydude

Honestly, would prefer Neves over any "hard tackling, ball winning" CDM.

Without on ball quality all over the pitch, opponent will just double team the likes of FDJ and leave the other midfielder alone, and if all this midfielder can do is sideway pass(or worse, lose possesion under pressure) we're done for .

We should aim to improve our defense like how City does, simply by keeping possession. If we dominate 65-70% of possession in most games, that alone will significantly reduce the number of chance the opponent have.

We'll definitely concede more counter attacking goals playing this way, just like how City is very vulnerable against teams that can exploit them using quick transitions, but at the end of the day they won 4 titles out of the last 5.

Abraxas

Honestly, would prefer Neves over any "hard tackling, ball winning" CDM.

Without on ball quality all over the pitch, opponent will just double team the likes of FDJ and leave the other midfielder alone, and if all this midfielder can do is sideway pass(or worse, lose possesion under pressure) we're done for .

We should aim to improve our defense like how City does, simply by keeping possession. If we dominate 65-70% of possession in most games, that alone will significantly reduce the number of chance the opponent have.

We'll definitely concede more counter attacking goals playing this way, just like how City is very vulnerable against teams that can exploit them using quick transitions, but at the end of the day they won 4 titles out of the last 5.
We're not going to be keeping 65-70% possession anytime soon, regardless of signing Neves and De Jong. Not unless we play Van Gaal type safe football, and I have my doubts this squad is even capable of that. We don't have the ability all over the pitch to maintain that type of control of the football against the intensity of PL teams. So for now it might be a case of getting somebody that can allow FDJ to shine by doing a lot of the hard yards. They still need to be able to pass the ball of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.