Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero

A very average player who can manipulate people by banging one in to the top corner every now and then.

Abraxas

Not convinced he's anything but a squad player for a top side. Probably why nobody has rushed to get him. Does he really get in a side over Eriksen? Not convinced. Many sides have better deep midfielders than Eriksen too.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
2 years after he was 24
Strangely enough, the very same thing happened to me: I remember it well. I was 24. And then, two years later, I was 26.

No idea how it happened. But it's definitely a thing. (People should be aware of it. I have friends who have mentioned something similar too.)

Drizzle

I've never been a fan, I think he's a bit slow. But it's hard to deny he would have been a godsend for us over the past few games, someone who understands how to sit deep, screen and ping passes about competently. As he'll be relatively cheap, I'd be open to it.

Gordon S

I've never been a fan, I think he's a bit slow. But it's hard to deny he would have been a godsend for us over the past few games, someone who understands how to sit deep, screen and ping passes about competently. As he'll be relatively cheap, I'd be open to it.
Fully agree

Watching Fred Scott and Marcel, perhaps we should even include Bruno, run around like headless chickens is giving me PTSD.

We desperately need cover for Casemiro. But, even when he is fit we could do with that option. Case is the only one in midfield now that knows how to defend, but he is also pretty feckin brilliant when going forward. Would love to see Casemiro a bit higher up the pitch with some more freedom in some games. If we have another player that can sit deep and defend, as well as ping good passes forward, that could happen. A clever player like Eriksen could also be played a bit higher on the pitch.

Rubens lack of pace and intensity is an issue of course but i sometimes feel that it is overstated. Not THAT big of an issue imo.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d love him he’s the perfect player that could rotate with casa and play alongside him. I’d like another starter (like De Jong) but we couldn’t do much better than this guy as rotation and cover.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This one is a "no" from me. Not enough of an upgrade. Saying he's better than x or y isn't a good enough reason to buy him. We need a world-class player in there

OrcaFat

This one is a "no" from me. Not enough of an upgrade. Saying he's better than x or y isn't a good enough reason to buy him. We need a world-class player in there
In principle I agree but what if can’t or won’t get the super elite player we really want?

We simply have to improve our midfield options ASAFP. It doesn’t have to be Neves but imo he should be on our list somewhere and if he’s the best we are able to get, it wouldn’t be crazy.

Drizzle

He's a vast upgrade on Mctominay and Fred (as a 6) so look at it like that. And not so expensive that we couldn't get another midfielder in too that could raise our ceiling.

But as it stands we're quite good at full strength but disastrous when our main players are out, so quality squad depth is as important as getting a shiny new world class player in.

croadyman

He's a vast upgrade on Mctominay and Fred (as a 6) so look at it like that. And not so expensive that we couldn't get another midfielder in too that could raise our ceiling.

But as it stands we're quite good at full strength but disastrous when our main players are out, so quality squad depth is as important as getting a shiny new world class player in.
Yeah my thoughts as well

Smores

Far too many other needs to think about replacing Cas or Eriksen. For now we just need a decent backup option nothing more nothing less.

If Wolves go down he'd be a fantastic signing on a reasonable fee.

croadyman

Far too many other needs to think about replacing Cas or Eriksen. For now we just need a decent backup option nothing more nothing less.

If Wolves go down he'd be a fantastic signing on a reasonable fee.
Yeah bit like when Villa should have gone down allowing us to pick up Grealish

Lyng

So would he provide cover for Casa
Casemiro is 94th percentile in tackles, Neves is only 56th. Interceptions Casemiro is in the 91th, Neves 81th, Blocks Casemiro is in 99th, Neves is in 85th. Clearences is clearly where Neves shines but still in a lower percentile than Case. Casemiro is in the 99th again but Neves is in the 98th which is very good.
Aerials is where it gets very bad again. Case is in the 96th percentile whereas Neves is as low as 42nd percentile.
This is going to be quite the issue when the main partner at the moment would be Eriksen.
He has a few stats where he is good, but he actually gets beaten on every defensive stat bar interceptions and blocks by Scott McTominay.
So no I dont think he would be a good cover.

OrcaFat

Casemiro is 94th percentile in tackles, Neves is only 56th. Interceptions Casemiro is in the 91th, Neves 81th, Blocks Casemiro is in 99th, Neves is in 85th. Clearences is clearly where Neves shines but still in a lower percentile than Case. Casemiro is in the 99th again but Neves is in the 98th which is very good.
Aerials is where it gets very bad again. Case is in the 96th percentile whereas Neves is as low as 42nd percentile.
This is going to be quite the issue when the main partner at the moment would be Eriksen.
He has a few stats where he is good, but he actually gets beaten on every defensive stat bar interceptions and blocks by Scott McTominay.
He’s more of a no8 than a no6 but could fill in at no6. However, the blend is important. As you say, Neves and Eriksen wouldn’t be so good. Probably Fred would be a better partner for him but I don’t like Fred in a MF Two. All in all, I wouldn’t see Neves being a good option for us at no6.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

you think he'd come to us knowing he was a back-up?

Drizzle

you think he'd come to us knowing he was a back-up?
Thats a good question, and it's something I've been banging on about on other thread's when people put together fantasy lists of players. Ambitious players may not want to come if it's obvious they're not going to be first choice, especially if they're offered first team status elsewhere.

I'm assuming that our midfield buys will be for flexible 8s that can also do a good job at 6 (or even 10). So the question is, can Neves play competently as an 8? Answer - I don't know, but he's played most of his career at 6.

OrcaFat

Thats a good question, and it's something I've been banging on about on other thread's when people put together fantasy lists of players. Ambitious players may not want to come if it's obvious they're not going to be first choice, especially if they're offered first team status elsewhere.

I'm assuming that our midfield buys will be for flexible 8s that can also do a good job at 6 (or even 10). So the question is, can Neves play competently as an 8? Answer - I don't know, but he's played most of his career at 6.
He’s not a natural no6. I think he is more of a playmaking no8 but ends up in the no6 part of the pitch quite a bit. If played at a better team, with Case, for example, he would spend more time a little further up the pitch. If we bought him it would be to share the load with Eriksen imo.

croadyman

He’s not a natural no6. I think he is more of a playmaking no8 but ends up in the no6 part of the pitch quite a bit. If played at a better team, with Case, for example, he would spend more time a little further up the pitch. If we bought him it would be to share the load with Eriksen imo.
Yeah think you are bang on

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't know if he'd be able to play next to Eriksen or another midfielder who doesn't do much defensively, but I think he'd be fine next to someone who is also solid defensively. I expect Neves-Fred would be fine for example...except perhaps the lack of aerial ability there which would be my one worry there.

Lyng

I don't know if he'd be able to play next to Eriksen or another midfielder who doesn't do much defensively, but I think he'd be fine next to someone who is also solid defensively. I expect Neves-Fred would be fine for example...except perhaps the lack of aerial ability there which would be my one worry there.
He would be fint next to Casemiro. But the question I responded to was whether he would be a good cover for Casemiro :)

Status
Not open for further replies.