Ruben Neves | Signed for Al Hilal (SA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thats a good question, and it's something I've been banging on about on other thread's when people put together fantasy lists of players. Ambitious players may not want to come if it's obvious they're not going to be first choice, especially if they're offered first team status elsewhere.

I'm assuming that our midfield buys will be for flexible 8s that can also do a good job at 6 (or even 10). So the question is, can Neves play competently as an 8? Answer - I don't know, but he's played most of his career at 6.
I remember some Wolves fans were saying that he was moved into the #8 role last season and it was probably his best season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He would be fint next to Casemiro. But the question I responded to was whether he would be a good cover for Casemiro :)
Yes, and my point is that he should be fine in that role depending on his partner. He's not as good defensively as Casemiro (not many are) so wouldn't be able to be the only player in there doing real defensive work. If ETH wants that kind of balance then Neves probably isn't the right option. I expect he'd be better than any of our other current options, but we'd probably be able to get a more suitable player elsewhere.

However if ETH wants both midfielders doing a decent amount of defensive work (and therefore looks to sign an upgrade for the #8 role as well) then Neves should be able to cover Casemiro in that set-up. While also being able to play next to Casemiro as well.

Lyng

Yes, and my point is that he should be fine in that role depending on his partner. He's not as good defensively as Casemiro (not many are) so wouldn't be able to be the only player in there doing real defensive work. If ETH wants that kind of balance then Neves probably isn't the right option. I expect he'd be better than any of our other current options, but we'd probably be able to get a more suitable player elsewhere.

However if ETH wants both midfielders doing a decent amount of defensive work (and therefore looks to sign an upgrade for the #8 role as well) then Neves should be able to cover Casemiro in that set-up. While also being able to play next to Casemiro as well.
Comparing stats he is better than McT and Fred in some areas but worse in others. His passing stats are much better though.
If we changed our midfield setup to a more standard 3 man midfield id might work out, but that would mean switching out Bruno as well.

Chief123

Wow, way to waste your prime years Ruben.
It will be the most surprising move out of all the big money moves to Saudi league. All of the stars that have gone there so far are at the end of their careers. This one would be the equivalent of Oscar going to China.

Saudi really are making serious efforts to raise the profile of the league. I’m not convinced about Ronaldo’s recent comments claiming it’ll be one of the top 5 leagues soon.

CM

There goes the most overrated Premier League player of the last 5 years

Chief123

Christ, I didn't really rate him, but Saudi league at his age?
Kante getting 2m euros a week. I’d imagine Neves will be offered similar. That’s the insane money it is going to take to keep pulling players.

prateik

1 year left on his contract and he is going for nearly 50m..

Some money to be made here for clubs with players willing to move to the Saudi league.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Probably reckons he's never getting his shot at a big club now, so he's taking the Saudi money. Don't really blame him.

Never really got the hype. The fella moves like Maguire and always seemed rated based on his ability to knock in a 35 yarder every few months. Moutinho always seemed to be the one making that midfield tick when they were higher up the league.

Telsim

Kante getting 2m euros a week. I’d imagine Neves will be offered similar. That’s the insane money it is going to take to keep pulling players.
Of course, the money is insane. I suppose it does make sense, because he was never really looked at by the big clubs. Wolves is his level, so might as well make bank, I guess.

cyberman

This is ripe for shenanigans. Newcastle could have FFP eased for them in the near future as an example.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm glad United did not go after him if money has been a motivating factor in his decision.

ThanksBoss26

Probably reckons he's never getting his shot at a big club now, so he's taking the Saudi money. Don't really blame him.

Never really got the hype. The fella moves like Maguire and always seemed rated based on his ability to knock in a 35 yarder every few months. Moutinho always seemed to be the one making that midfield tick when they were higher up the league.
Same. Decent enough but never one I was convinced would be able to cut it regularly at the level up.

Baxquux

Decent but over-rated player who flattered reputation largely with good long-passing range, but probably would have suited Oleball (alongside tigerish def mid) more than what we're trying to do now. Also seemed curiously snobbish about the the prospect of signing for us, if reports at different times are to be believed, which, if true, betrays overestimation of his own talent (particularly as he would have suited a 'top 4 trophy' level Ole united, hitting transition balls to Rashford and Martial, and got to play CL/go for minor trophies). So it's quite funny that he's now gone for guilded semi-retirement in his mid 20s.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Of course, the money is insane. I suppose it does make sense, because he was never really looked at by the big clubs. Wolves is his level, so might as well make bank, I guess.
There was interest from some of Europe's top clubs.

daba

1 year left on his contract and he is going for nearly 50m..

Some money to be made here for clubs with players willing to move to the Saudi league.
Why don’t any of the Saudis want our deadwood ffs

r0663664

Worships Man City
Does the Saudi teams want Maguire, McTominay and VDB? 100 million for 3. Sancho and Martial for another 80 million. Do it!

Oldyella

This is ripe for shenanigans. Newcastle could have FFP eased for them in the near future as an example.
Convicing players will be the tough part. Especially if already at a club like Newcastle who's on the up.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Always felt he was the kind of player who liked being comfortable.

As much as Wolves showed an element of upward trajectory, any player with real ambition would've done their time and moved onto a bigger club sooner (Jota being the most example).

Strange move from any point of view other than financial security. But fair play for making your family richer than your wildest dreams could've imagined I suppose.

Baxquux

Glazers need to feck off (clearly) but then invest some of that unearned lucre in the burgeoning Saudi league; that way, we can also get rid of some of our dross more easily, including Joel's apparent favourite ('like Pele' ) Martial

LARulz

Am I the only one that would say if I was a footballer I’d go where ever the money is? Some crazy posts on here.
Yeah it's mental. Someone offering me like 200k a day or whatever and I am there before the inks dried

reddev3

They need to offer this kind of money to us for Maguire if it's exposer they want. Every times he plays they would be getting videos of their league out there with his mistakes being clipped.

He's up there with the most recognisable CB's in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.