Rugby 2018 Discussion

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Supporting France is probably the closest thing to psychological torture.

kidbob

POM what a bloody player! Big big shout out to Marmion, replacing the best scrum half in the world and you wouldn't have noticed and Stockdale is a bloody finishing machine. Funny thing is that not only did we beat them but we should have been out of sight in the first half. Super game a rugby, undoubtedly the World number 1 and 2 playing each other. Overall Schmidt is a legend, best coach of all time for me, definitely Irish one anyway (obvious Leinster bias!)

On a side note anyone know when the last time that the All Blacks were held to no tries?

God I'm so happy, this team in the anti United at the moment!

kidbob

Supporting France is probably the closest thing to psychological torture.
Haven't seen your game but I'm convinced since last year that you guys are close to being back and I wouldn't fancy any team playing you at the World Cup.

kidbob

Honestly feel that way too. Fecking depressing.
To be fair to Barnes we got away with the Kearney hit in the second half and it turns out that 15 v 15 made for a great spectacle. However I don't think either side would say he had a great game with the big calls.

kidbob

If these Internationals are anything to go by then the World Cup will be a cracker and I'd be hard pushed to choose a winner. If the Aussies can get their shit together then it'll be even more crazy.

Also the real World player of the year was playing prop for Ireland tonight and it's a bloody disgrace that Furlong hasn't been nominated. I hope this win propels Sexton to the award if only because I'm still pissed about BOD all those years ago.

kidbob

I'm obviously posting like an overexcited idiot but that was the first time since 1995 (France) that a HH side has kept them tryless.

kidbob

POM what a player, that pick from the grubber kick, I thought we were fecked just as he caught it.
He epitomises Munster as much as Sexton does for Leinster. POM is a beast. Fantastic in the line out, a beast at stealing balls and an underrated ball carrier and got surprisingly soft hands too. One of the best Irish players of all time for me. When he's on form he's basically a Superman. Surely has a case for being the best 6 in the World at this stage?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Haven't seen your game but I'm convinced since last year that you guys are close to being back and I wouldn't fancy any team playing you at the World Cup.
The thing with France is that the players do 90% of the job at a very high level but mess up the last 10% so badly that it's just ridiculous.

PS: I made up the stats.

Last edited:

kidbob

Anyone who doesn't like Rob Kearney needs to look at that game today. As a Leinster fan if Larmour can improve his high ball game then he'll be better but Rob is so assured and consistent. James Ryan too is Lions level shit at 22, him, Leavy and Van Der Flier are outrageous. What a job by the IRFU that we have so many talents coming through and even already established. Luke McGrath even managed the game very well when he came on and IMO Cooney is an even bigger talent.

@unchanged_lineup I got the impression that you at a Connacht man? My next step is sending overstock of the other provinces to you guys (especially considering I watched Leinster pluck Henshaw which left a bad taste in my mouth). Anyone who Connacht would take in should be sent there because they are now a bloody good side and they deserve to be treated on a par with the others. I have to say I was upset at losing Carberry but now I realise that a great decision was made to not only develop him but also Ross Byrne (who IMO has a huge future ahead of him). If the IRFU are consistent then the likes of Adam Byrne (huge talent) should be sent to Connacht if you guys have room for him.

kidbob

The thing with France is that the players do 90% of the job at a very high level but mess up the last 10% so badly that it's just ridiculous.

PS! I made up the stats.
:lol: The game against South Africa I watched Thomas make the most amazing break from his own 22 only to refuse to pass the ball at the last, is that the problem for you guys? Also what a bloody player that lad is, electric.

Zoo

Well done Ireland. That was brutal in terms of physicality, with skipper Peter O’Mahoney a notable warrior. Joe Schmidt showed why he is probably the number 1 coach in the world and he will be the first choice to be Hansen’s successor at the All Blacks.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Anyone who doesn't like Rob Kearney needs to look at that game today. As a Leinster fan if Larmour can improve his high ball game then he'll be better but Rob is so assured and consistent. James Ryan too is Lions level shit at 22, him, Leavy and Van Der Flier are outrageous. What a job by the IRFU that we have so many talents coming through and even already established. Luke McGrath even managed the game very well when he came on and IMO Cooney is an even bigger talent.

@unchanged_lineup I got the impression that you at a Connacht man? My next step is sending overstock of the other provinces to you guys (especially considering I watched Leinster pluck Henshaw which left a bad taste in my mouth). Anyone who Connacht would take in should be sent there because they are now a bloody good side and they deserve to be treated on a par with the others. I have to say I was upset at losing Carberry but now I realise that a great decision was made to not only develop him but also Ross Byrne (who IMO has a huge future ahead of him). If the IRFU are consistent then the likes of Adam Byrne (huge talent) should be sent to Connacht if you guys have room for him.
What gave you that impression, all the times I go on about them maybe? :lol: Send em over!

Kearney is a hell of a cool customer.

kidbob

Well done Ireland. That was brutal in terms of physicality, with skipper Peter O’Mahoney a notable warrior. Joe Schmidt showed why he is probably the number 1 coach in the world and he will be the first choice to be Hansens’s successor at the All Blacks.
Terrified at the inevitability at him becoming All Blacks coach but after watching him turning Leinster into a machine and now Ireland he definitely deserves it. When he retires he can come back and turn us into a dictatorship.

He'll be outrageous for the All Blacks. Maybe they see our more efficient game with Ireland but forget the attacking offloading game that he mastered with Leinster. I have always believed that he has set Ireland up to play the way he does because he believes it's the one to topple the All Blacks. He knows they are capable of offloads etc but the reason he has built this style is because if you starve the All Blacks of possession then you stop them from building a massive score on you. His entire build of the Irish team has been for this coming World Cup (and most likely a showdown with New Zealand) and I won't say we'll win it but I'm more confident than ever with him in charge because I've seen Leinster overcome things under him that many thought were impossible (eg. first team to beat Clermont in France in European rugby I think). Watch Leinster against Toulouse to see what type of attacking offload game his teams are capable of. He's built Ireland this way because no team can go toe to toe with the All Blacks in the open field. If he gets his hand on the All Blacks then we may see the best rugby team of all time at some point under his tutelage.

A great game of rugby between the best team and a side pushing them very very hard for that crown. I'm so excited for the World Cup, there are so many teams that can make things happen right now.

kidbob

What gave you that impression, all the times I go on about them maybe? :lol: Send em over!
:lol: Someone needs to fight the good fight! Honestly it will sound hypocritical as a big bad Leinster fan but you guys deserve more support. I love Connacht because it feels you have progressed without the proper help. Adam Byrne is too far back to play much for us and guys like him should be sent to at least stake the claim for a spot with Connacht. It pisses me off that the IRFU seems to allow poaching of your guys without giving you guys much in return. There is a few Leinster guys who are 3rd choice with us that might be more useful to you. IMO we have enough talent to have all 4 provinces having a chance to play in the Champion's Cup at least every few years.

I was at your final win against us and to be honest I was close to cheering for you guys come the end. For me Connacht's rise has been as impressive as Leinsters considering the situations of the 2 sides. Hope you enjoyed Marmion's performance today because he sure made me feel stupid about my doubts, a bloody great player he has become.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
:lol: Someone needs to fight the good fight! Honestly it will sound hypocritical as a big bad Leinster fan but you guys deserve more support. I love Connacht because it feels you have progressed without the proper help. Adam Byrne is too far back to play much for us and guys like him should be sent to at least stake the claim for a spot with Connacht. It pisses me off that the IRFU seems to allow poaching of your guys without giving you guys much in return. There is a few Leinster guys who are 3rd choice with us that might be more useful to you. IMO we have enough talent to have all 4 provinces having a chance to play in the Champion's Cup at least every few years.

I was at your final win against us and to be honest I was close to cheering for you guys come the end. For me Connacht's rise has been as impressive as Leinsters considering the situations of the 2 sides. Hope you enjoyed Marmion's performance today because he sure made me feel stupid about my doubts, a bloody great player he has become.
Rush of blood to your head :)

Marmion did himself proud tonight, and McGrath did well when he came on too

Good win for Ireland. Always good to beat NZ, even if just for psychological benefits of knowing you’ve done it before.

But it’s clear right now they’ve come back towards the pack, the defeat to SA in the Rugby Championship, the 1pt victory of an England side missing lots of key men in the pack, and this defeat to Ireland shows that.

Should be a cracking WC - where any of NZ, Ireland, England, SA, Aus (and perhaps France) could win it!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Well done to Ireland and their fans. While the margin was only one converted try, they were worthy winners. They were very lucky to keep 15 on the field in the 1st half, Sam Whitelock especially can thank his lucky starts Mr Barnes didn't give him ten in the bin.

From a New Zealand perspective, it's fair to say they that this year haven't looked convincing against Ireland and South Africa, the two countries who i think will pose the biggest threat to them at next year's World Cup. Good thing for them is they won't end their year with a loss as they've got Italy next.