Rugby 2018 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'm good. I have no hope for french rugby in general and don't expect much in terms of results. As long as some basic stuff aren't fixed on the training pitch, France XV and most clubs will struggle at international level and in Champions Cup.
I would actually like to pick your mind and others too if they want, here are the things that makes french rugby relatively bad.

- Poor kicking game, whether it is in terms of distance, accuracy or context.
- Below average passing technique.
- Below average athleticism, there are big deficiencies in terms of stamina and agility. Speed and power are above average and probably comparable to the Springboks but the points mentioned previously make it useless.
- Set pieces are terrible, France is probably the worst team when it comes to creating combinations out of rucks, scrums or line outs.
- Then you have crucial details like moving forward while receiving the ball instead of standing still and start without momentum, there is also the inability to clean rucks effectively and quickly, ball recycling is a massive issue.

For me the issue is bigger than the current players or the isolated coaches, it's the entire system that has failed.
It'll all come right for the world cup though ;)

I can try to answer these, but of course I'm not studying your teams in great detail generally.

- Poor kicking out of hand certainly springs to mind.
- This seems true, which is sad considering how good you used to be at it. Sacrificed for Warrenball tactics
- Yeah, I reckon other teams are looking at you on this and thinking they can have you after 60mins. That's nothing new though, this problem has been growing for years.
- I'd have to watch you more closely again but you are probably behind on the last two aspects too.

I heard a great quote last weekend during the NZ buildup: "When Ireland were amateur, they were the most amateur. Now that they're professional, they're the most professional". It's probably not that France is a million miles behind everyone, but the top level of the game now requires constant innovation while also having relentless maintenance of the basics. And even then, you could see with Ireland yesterday that if you try too many changes, it all becomes sloppy and messy even with the top teams. Set plays now seem to require multiple phases of everyone doing exactly what they're supposed, as well as a bit of luck with you fooling the opposition, for the final strike move to pay off.

Offsideagain

I have never watched a rugby match where the bounce of the ball favoured the home side 100%. The luck of the Irish? Mind you, they are good enough without lucky bounces.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm hoping for some good news in a couple of weeks in the form of Michael Cheika being told his services are no longer required.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I have never watched a rugby match where the bounce of the ball favoured the home side 100%. The luck of the Irish? Mind you, they are good enough without lucky bounces.
Jacob Stockdale makes his own luck, I reckon. Gotta roll with it when it's going your way
Was discussing that bounce with a friend. It actually didn't favour Stockdale. Footballers might choose to cut across a retreating defender but in rugby that's the last thing you want to happen. Granted it helped that the ball stood up nicely to be caught but he could have definitely done without that big deviation towards the nearest defender.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
What did you make of the Irish pressure in the All-Blacks 22. I was massively impressed. I think its the first time I've seen concerted pressure over 20-30 mins from Ireland at a key time in a game against the All-Blacks. Just the amount of penalties and the cynicism of some of them should have resulted in at least one yellow card but it never came.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
What did you make of the Irish pressure in the All-Blacks 22. I was massively impressed. I think its the first time I've seen concerted pressure over 20-30 mins from Ireland at a key time in a game against the All-Blacks. Just the amount of penalties and the cynicism of some of them should have resulted in at least one yellow card but it never came.
Slight concern over that to be honest. That and Farrell get away with two shoulder barges means reffing has taken a bit of a hit during this series

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Slight concern over that to be honest. That and Farrell get away with two shoulder barges means reffing has taken a bit of a hit during this series
I havent seen the second Farrell tackle but his first was likely a penalty. I feel sorry for the refs in some cases though because in realtime I didnt think it was a pen.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I put it in this thread somewhere up a bit, it's in a tweet
just saw it. He is the last defender and he shoulder barges into the player? He kills the momentum of the player and has no arm wrap. Surely that is a penalty try.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I didn’t watch the game. Only saw a clip of the “tackle”. Australia did get awarded a penalty, right? Cheika’s beef seemed to be that there wasn’t a penalty try or yellow card.

One thing’s for sure. Farrel’s cards must be marked by now. Doubt he’ll get away with it again.
I've actually just seen it the same way and didn't see the full match so I don't know about the penalty. It should have been penalty try and card.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Gus Gardner has just admitted he made the wrong call to allow Owen Farrell to get away with a no arms tackle in England's win over South Africa.

Quotes from Gus on Will Greenwood's podcast: "I think in hindsight now, having discussed it with some other referees... I think the general consensus would be that a penalty was probably the outcome there that should have been given. I think we need to see a wrap with both arms, and I think in hindsight – although he got pinned – there wasn't a big enough wrap from both arms, really. There was a wrap with one arm, but there wasn't a wrap with the other arm."

I look forward to a similar confession from Jaco Peyper even though i think England would still have won.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Gus Gardner has just admitted he made the wrong call to allow Owen Farrell to get away with a no arms tackle in England's win over South Africa.

Quotes from Gus on Will Greenwood's podcast: "I think in hindsight now, having discussed it with some other referees... I think the general consensus would be that a penalty was probably the outcome there that should have been given. I think we need to see a wrap with both arms, and I think in hindsight – although he got pinned – there wasn't a big enough wrap from both arms, really. There was a wrap with one arm, but there wasn't a wrap with the other arm."

I look forward to a similar confession from Jaco Peyper even though i think England would still have won.
Ugh. World Rugby are generally progressive and I hope that they will adjust their rules so that something below red card offence like this can be commented on by a citing commission. The lack of comment on it left a perceived grey area, even though that's because they can only look at red card offences.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I look forward to a similar confession from Jaco Peyper
even though i think England would still have won.
Why, though? Didn't Peyper - unlike Gardner - award a penalty?

freeurmind

weak willed
Peyper did award a penalty but I don't understand how that wasn't a penalty try or at least a yellow card.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
If Peyper truly believed the attacking player dropped his shoulder and it mitigates what Farrell did in some way, then he shouldn't have given a penalty at all. Dropping the shoulder wouldn't have affected the way Farrell went into that tackle regardless.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Long time Aussie rugby journo Jim Tucker is reporting that Rugby Australia is considering Jake White as a possible replacement for Michael Cheika should Cheika be sacked. The article in question is behind a paywall but below are the two relevant paragraphs re White and the Wallabies coaching job.

''A confidential phone hook-up with South Africa’s former World Cup-winning coach Jake White is planned for Thursday in the first sign that anxious Rugby Australia bosses have been forced to consider sacking Michael Cheika.

Sources have indicated that Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle and board members will take the major step of speaking to White to assess what he has to offer as a possible alternative.''

He or Vern Cotter would be my picks should Cheika be sacked, so if they secured Jake White I'd be content with that.

RORY65

Peyper did award a penalty but I don't understand how that wasn't a penalty try or at least a yellow card.
I thought the penalty was for something else? He said it wasn't a penalty by saying that the Aussie player had dropped his shoulder which makes no sense. If he had given a penalty it would have to be a penalty try riven where it was and probably a yellow.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A decision on Michael Cheika's future as Wallabies coach will be made next week.

Unfortunately, i think he'll keep his job.

Skills

Snitch
Anyone planning on going to the WC next year? I've always wanted to visit Japan and tying it in with a WC seems perfect. Best way to go about getting tickets?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Wow
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1212/1016718-joe-schmidt-turned-down-all-blacks-offer-last-year/
Joe Schmidt turned down the chance to join the All Blacks coaching ticket a year ago.

Steve Tew, CEO of New Zealand Rugby, has confirmed to The New Zealand Herald that they wanted Schmidt to replace Wayne Smith as Steve Hansen's assistant in the summer of 2017.

It was mooted he would work alongside Ian Foster, with one of them ultimately taking over from Hansen.

Schmidt's stock has soared even higher since then. He's had a stunning 2018, leading Ireland to a Grand Slam, a series win in Australia and a historic Dublin slaying of the Kiwis in the autumn.

Shortly after that triumph, Schmidt announced he will step away from Ireland after next year's World Cup in japan, with Andy Farrell taking the reins.

Schmidt intends to take a break from coaching to focus on his family.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Rassie Erasmus will step down as South Africa's coach after the next World Cup. Erasmus will resume his role as SA DOR post the 2019 World Cup

Meanwhile, there's no clarity at all as to who's going to coach Australia at the 2019 World Cup. Somebody not named Michael Cheika please!!!

Last edited:

diarm

Rassie Erasmus will step down as South Africa's coach after the next World Cup.

Meanwhile, there's no clarity at all as to who's going to coach Australia at the 2019 World Cup. Somebody not named Michael Cheika please!!!
I'd be shocked if it wasn't Jake White at this stage. He has decent experience in Australian rugby, world class experience as an international coach, is available and was recently in talks with Rugby Australia. Can't see Cheika surviving this end of year review having only won 4 of their last 15 matches.

Rassie is stepping down as head coach of the Boks but will be resuming his role as Director of Rugby. Still involved at the top.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'd be shocked if it wasn't Jake White at this stage. He has decent experience in Australian rugby, world class experience as an international coach, is available and was recently in talks with Rugby Australia. Can't see Cheika surviving this end of year review having only won 4 of their last 15 matches.

Rassie is stepping down as head coach of the Boks but will be resuming his role as Director of Rugby. Still involved at the top.
I've edited my previous post to mention Erasmus resuming his DOR role.

Regarding Cheika, his record post the 2015 World Cup suggests he should be sacked. However, with the World Cup just over 9 months away, i can see Rugby Australia feeling that a change of coach so close to the World Cup wouldn't be a good thing.

Most Aussie rugby fans want Cheika gone. Jake White, who would accept the job if it was offered to him, wouldn't be a universally popular appointment but his back to basics, keep it simple, efficient style is what's required.

White was going to talk to RA via a phone hook up a couple of weeks ago but it was cancelled by RA after word got out that White and RA were going to have a meeting.