Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm interested in viewership numbers. Did the recent WC have more viewers than 2019?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
And so with another RWC done, we close another yearly/biyearly/uhhhhh triyearly thread and start anew!
Is it too early to talk about the six nations? :lol:

Who’s retiring from an Irish perspective? Sexton obviously, but any others? Is POM still sticking around?

Withnail

Is it too early to talk about the six nations? :lol:

Who’s retiring from an Irish perspective? Sexton obviously, but any others? Is POM still sticking around?
I think it's a bit early to tell. Earls and obviously Sexton have officially retired and O'Mahony hinted at it. He said he'd have to go away and think about whether he'd come back or call it a day.

Traub

I think we are going to see a few teams start afresh - including the two finalists. Now is the time to freshen things up so that we ready to go in 4 years time for the 3-peat!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I think we are going to see a few teams start afresh - including the two finalists. Now is the time to freshen things up so that we ready to go in 4 years time for the 3-peat!
I wanted France to get to the final because they had invested so, so heavily in youth and I wanted Ireland to also.

Then Ntamack got crocked before the start and scuppered that plan somewhat.

I still would prefer Ireland to put faith in youth and don't mind having a crap 6N year or two.

CallyRed

I'd like to start watching english domestic rugby. Shame it's all on bloody TNT sports.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wanted France to get to the final because they had invested so, so heavily in youth and I wanted Ireland to also.

I still would prefer Ireland to put faith in youth and don't mind having a crap 6N year or two.
Dunno if you’ve seen highlights of Leinster vs Sharks but “the chosen one” (aka Sam Prendergast) made a sensational cameo off the bench.

croadyman

Yeah France or Ireland play the best stuff in NH,whether or not the new assistant coach will bring something new to England remains to be seen in the coming months

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So who do we see getting player of the year at World Rugby's awards? Ardie Savea, Eben Etzebeth, Bundee Aki and Antoine Dupont are the nominees.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So who do we see getting player of the year at World Rugby's awards? Ardie Savea, Eben Etzebeth, Bundee Aki and Antoine Dupont are the nominees.
Probably Eben, but I had PSDT & Kolisi ahead of him.

Shoutout to Mbonambi as well. The racism issue and a faltering lineout aside, we have to remember that due to the Marx injury he probably did 70% more minutes than he usually does

Who’s your pick?

Traub

Shoutout to Mbonambi as well. The racism issue and a faltering lineout aside, we have to remember that due to the Marx injury he probably did 70% more minutes than he usually does

Who’s your pick?
I would put Pollard as the player of the RWC at least. He didn't miss a single kick all tournament I think, and considering we won every knockout game by 1 point, he was the difference maker. And that ignores the fact he hasn't played for ages.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I would put Pollard as the player of the RWC at least. He didn't miss a single kick all tournament I think, and considering we won every knockout game by 1 point, he was the difference maker. And that ignores the fact he hasn't played for ages.
Something about that green jersey, he’s been some way less than incredible for Leicester, though in his defence he’s been less than fit as well

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Who’s your pick?
I think Etzebeth will get World Rugby's player of the year award.

Traub

Something about that green jersey, he’s been some way less than incredible for Leicester, though in his defence he’s been less than fit as well
He isn't a great player by any means, but has the BMT (or maybe it's just the confidence from Rassie?).

That first kick last night set the tone. He almost missed, and there is no way we would've won with Libbok kicking.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Eddie Jones has quit as Wallabies coach. The World Cup does have a happy ending for Aussie rugby after all.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He isn't a great player by any means, but has the BMT (or maybe it's just the confidence from Rassie?).

That first kick last night set the tone. He almost missed, and there is no way we would've won with Libbok kicking.
Probably. Hard to tell because you play polar opposite games with the 2 different 10s, and it looked last night that you’d gone too negative on the kicking game.

Who’s going to be retiring from the boks then?

I don’t know their ages but there’s presumably going to be a bit of a hard landing when that incredible forward pack start waning.

Traub

Probably. Hard to tell because you play polar opposite games with the 2 different 10s, and it looked last night that you’d gone too negative on the kicking game.

Who’s going to be retiring from the boks then?

I don’t know their ages but there’s presumably going to be a bit of a hard landing when that incredible forward pack start waning.
The definite retirees are Kolisi and Vermeulen AFAIK. I can't see Etzebeth making the next WC either. I have a feeling the rest may push to be there in 4 years time, but it will probably be 1 tournament too far.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Warren Gatland will not coach the Lions on their tour of Australia in 2025.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Wayne Barnes is retiring.
He is probably the best around so will be missed

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I mean, we’ve had a lot of glitz and glamour in Paris at the World Cup, but there’s something beautiful about watching rugby at a stadium like Connachts cowshed. Though the artificial pitch makes it look far too fancy

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I mean, we’ve had a lot of glitz and glamour in Paris at the World Cup, but there’s something beautiful about watching rugby at a stadium like Connachts cowshed. Though the artificial pitch makes it look far too fancy
3/3 start to the season.
Top of the table.

And it's not a cowshed, it's a greyhound track :lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Eddie Jones got booed when his face appeared on the big screen during the Barbarians game.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Springboks have named Rassie Erasmus as their new head coach.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Nah he'll be visiting Connacht's cowshed as part of Leinster's coaching staff.
Ahh yes I remember now.

Don’t think he’ll be able to handle the cowshed personally. Not built for it

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Those who wondered if Edogbo and ahern would get a spot in the Munster team once the world cup locks came back, need not worry RG has picked up his yearly injury